Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do you get your hard drives? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where do you get your hard drives?

Comments

• @taipres said: What idea is that, list deals on a blog? Since LEB definitely invented that concept? Not. My site is a lot different than LEB, it's better organized, has far more features, lists far more info, and I'm going to continue to innovate it. LEA did inspire the blog but that's where it ends.

You also have one kickass form on there. 12 topics nice!

• Speaking of originality... you sure are using a lot of meme images, something that you recently bitched about me doing :3

• @miTgiB -

Quadranet has multiple floors and utilize most of the floors in the 530 W 6th Street building if I'm not mistaken- so its very possible we're not on the same floor.

I solely work for URPad, but prob would be willing to do side work if you're in the same building long as I have @FTNChris 's approval.

• @PytoHost said: You also have one kickass form on there. 12 topics nice!

12 topics?

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: Speaking of originality... you sure are using a lot of meme images, something that you recently bitched about me doing :3

That's because you post anime characters bent over and stuff...who wants to see that crap? Or wait are you claiming you came up with the concept of memes or posting memes? Please tell me you are.

• ooooh, so that makes it okay to be unoriginal and do something I do.

But... you hate unoriginality :P

• @taipres said: 12 topics?

I meant 13 actually
    Imgur

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@PytoHost said: I meant 13 actually

So what? I shutdown registration a while ago, I need to fix something serious with the forums. Also it was getting spammed pretty bad. My sites also only 3-4 months old now...but still get's a good deal of daily unique traffic. 80 posts in 4 months, all the features and i've done in 4 months...sites not riddled with ad's everywhere. That's originality guy, buying stock images and tossing up a half baked site is not.

• @FTNEthan said: but prob would be willing to do side work if you're in the same building long as I have @FTNChris 's approval.

All my servers have IPMI so I rarely need anything, but if you are willing to whore yourself cheaper than QuadraNet and you get the OK, I'm sure I can have a little racking work for you now and then for some of the change Obama promised and never delivered.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited April 2012

@taipres said: So what? I shutdown registration a while ago, I need to fix something serious with the forums. Also it was getting spammed pretty bad. My sites also only 3-4 months old now...but still get's a good deal of daily unique traffic. 80 posts in 4 months, all the features and i've done in 4 months...sites not riddled with ad's everywhere. That's originality guy, buying stock images and tossing up a half baked site is not.

Ok whatever you say. I wish my 13 year old friend (you) the best of like with your 'great' idea

• debugdebug Member

@PytoHost said: Ok whatever you say. I wish my 13 year old friend (you) the best of like with your 'great; idea

Shhhh! If you're too mean he might threaten to shut down his site again and go into temper tantrum mode!

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic
    Seems that you like to feed the animals trolls...

This is... stupid

Thanked by 3NanoG6 lbft Damian
  • @yomero - they'll eat anything you put in front of them. Even if it means killing their own credibility.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 lbft
  • I like how derailed this thread went...

Thanked by 1MeMyselfandLinux
  • @Boltersdriveer said: I like how derailed this thread went...

Your welcome!

• Back on topic...

I only buy new drives and it's either from NewEgg or a local computer store.

• @Brandon said: only buy new drives and it's either from NewEgg or a local computer store.

Can't go wrong with amazon if they are a trusted user, or if directly from amazon. And I have gotten a few good deals at overstock.com

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@PytoHost said: Ok whatever you say. I wish my 13 year old friend (you) the best of like with your 'great' idea

Lol pytoHost i'm 25 bud, and you're just mad I called you out on your stock images. If that upset I apologize, I understand you're a new company, and needed art, but you have to admit it looks unprofessional using a well known hosts pics? And you can knock my site all you like, I made it for the community, and it continues for the community. I'll even list your unoriginal :D site on it if you want soon as I add the Minecraft and free VPS sections i'm planning. As i'm completely unbiased.

In terms of the topic, I appreciate your guys answers, I was hoping for some inside info, but i'll stick with newegg, amazon and ebay for now.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited April 2012

@taipres

Please, stop using shitty memes. Not only are they simply bad, but they make you sound like an arrogant, immature 4 year old bashing on a keyboard.

inb4OMFGHOWDAREYOUSAYTHAT.

@taipres said: As i'm completely unbiased.

So, you refuse to add providers for your own reasons, and you're planning on starting your own host.
    Bias? Heavens no.

• @ElliotJ said: Please, stop using shitty memes. Not only are they simply bad, but they make you sound like an arrogant, immature 4 year old bashing on a keyboard.

Technically you don't have to use the keyboard to paste a meme.

Thanked by 1taipres
  • @Daniel said: Technically you don't have to use the keyboard to paste a meme.

I just got owned :(

• @ElliotJ said: I just got owned :(

Thanked by 2Jacob ElliotJ
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: We use 1,5T and 2T drives. You'd better have a lot of cash to pony up on hardware if you want to even have a standing, let alone compete, in this market.

Hmmmm interesting, beware - we might do it in future :)
    The hardest thing to get are IPs anyway, and since we buy a large pre-Arin block this will never be a problem in the future, while you (and others) eventually will run out.

@taipres said: VPS6 just put together a nice machine

2x Xeon L5645 CPUs (24 HT Cores)
    72gb ECC-certified DDR3 RAM
    16x RAID60 10k SAS Disks

If you are interested, we use 100-144Gb ECC DDR3 RAM, Dual Sixcore Xeons (E/X Series) and 8x1TB 7,2k RAID10 (2011) / 8x450GB 10/15k RAID10 (2012).
    HP DL360 G7 (soon G8) - Even with cheap hardware (no HP ram for example, but Kingston) that comes to 4-6k EUR per node.

Anyway, back to topic.
    We buy HDDs mostly in Germany/Austria/France from distributors, i don't have pricing here now but a 450Gb SAS 10k drive (Hitachi, 2,5") goes for around 220EUR (no tax) and a "usual" Hitachi 3,5" SATA 6Gbit (Ultrastar server grade, 7,2k rpm) goes for ca. 120EUR / 1Tb is Seagate constellation (again 7,2 / 6Gbit), 80EUR each.
    Cheapest desktop grade 1TB around 50EUR (Seagate barracuda) / 2TB around 70EUR.

You need larger order volumes to get that pricing however.
    So far, the crisis did not hit us that hard, except that we are unable to get any 1TB 2,5" enterprise SAS drives anymore.... :(

Thanked by 1taipres
  • @William said: Hmmmm interesting, beware - we might do it in future :)

The hardest thing to get are IPs anyway, and since we buy a large pre-Arin block this will never be a problem in the future, while you (and others) eventually will run out.

Arrogance is an ugly thing.. Don't make us repost the badassoverhere pic <_<

Anyways, what exactly makes you think we're hurting for IPs? We haven't even used close to half of our total available, and at our current growth plan that easily gives us years before we come close. By which point we will have simply acquired more and continued on.

(It's not nice to make assumptions about people, mon ami)_

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited April 2012

@William said: we might do it in future

@William said: while you (and others) eventually will run out.

Meme

• Who needs hard drives anymore? Cloud Storage FTW.

• @Aldryic said: Anyways, what exactly makes you think we're hurting for IPs? We haven't even used close to half of our total available, and at our current growth plan that easily gives us years before we come close. By which point we will have simply acquired more and continued on.

Well, it is a simple calculation - Sure, you use them in guidance with ARIN guidelines, and sure you will get more... but for how long?
    The problem is that ARIN will eventually run out, same with RIPE and the already dry APNIC - And at last LACNIC and AFRINIC.
    You should also consider buying pre ARIN ranges if you have the spare cash currently, call it an investment into the future :)

@FTN_Kevin oh come on, it was a joke :p
    We do offer a similar priced plan anyway already.

• @William said: The hardest thing to get are IPs anyway, and since we buy a large pre-Arin block this will never be a problem in the future, while you (and others) eventually will run out.

I have both Arin and pre-Arin IP's, they will run out at some point, just like yours and everyone else, that statement is just dumb. But I do think over the next 5 years IPv6 will start to become more usable.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Aldryic said: By which point we will have simply acquired more and continued on.

I'm already putting together the paper work for another /19 <_<

Francisco