Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do you get your hard drives? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where do you get your hard drives?

Comments

• Wait... @Aldryic and @miTgiB - BuyVM and Hostigation are both your only jobs? You guys don't to any kind of side work at all?

• @taipres ... seems to me you're pretty mad.

Thanked by 3ElliotJ Roph Damian
  • @subigo I have a place to go everyday that I collect a pittance from, the datacenter in Rock Hill SC where I used to have nodes, I still have so much collected junk there I keep going to work each day, but certainly no longer need to. @Aldryic has said on many occasions he has a day job at a Coca-Cola bottler in Louisiana.

• Just saying @taipres with your snobby/stuckup attitude I don't think you will get far. You honestly sound like a 15 year old.

• We recently got a new E5 system, this baby has 1 TB x4's and 16GB RAM sticks.

I must admit, this was the first time I have ever physically experienced a single 16GB RAM stick. Its pretty badass.

• @FTNEthan said: I must admit, this was the first time I have ever physically experienced a single 16GB RAM stick. Its pretty badass.

That stick of 16GB must of cost a pretty penny.

• @subigo said: Wait... @Aldryic and @miTgiB - BuyVM and Hostigation are both your only jobs? You guys don't to any kind of side work at all?

@miTgiB said: @Aldryic has said on many occasions he has a day job at a Coca-Cola bottler in Louisiana.

^ This. I do IT Admin and pricing control for the bottler here.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

Holy smokes. If you guys knew what we paid for servers you'd all laugh at us...

• Just 10K? That was probably my startup costs alone. 99% lawyers..

Just kidding, good hardware is not cheap. 1TB RE4's are now down around 150 dollars, I would prefer 99 dollars, but you can't have everything.

Though right now I'm good in the hardware market, I think I'll focus more on my own IP space.

• @FTNEthan said: Its pretty badass.

Very awesome server pr0n!

• @KuJoe said: If you guys knew what we paid for servers you'd all laugh at us...

We already do laugh at you :P

• @PytoHost -

It was worth every penny :-)

• @PytoHost said: Just saying @taipres with your snobby/stuckup attitude I don't think you will get far. You honestly sound like a 15 year old.

http://pytohost.com/
    http://errantweb.com/

see any similarities? I really hope you own or are owned by errantweb otherwise you straight up jacked their logo...

@miTgiB said: We already do laugh at you :P

Touche... :P But seriously, if we spent $5k on servers we'd have to buy another cabinet. :(

• debugdebug Member

@taipres said: I really hope you own or are owned by errantweb otherwise you straight up jacked their logo...

I believe that was a stock graphic.

edited April 2012

They said they bought the mascot from the same designer so the designer is recycling the mascot to save money, kind of shady but I think they said they got a good deal on it.

• @KuJoe said: if we spent $5k on servers we'd have to buy another cabinet. :(

I just bought another cabinet in LA, with my month of nodes sitting in it right now and no power circuit run to it yet :(

• @debug said: I believe that was a stock graphic.

Yeah it is, I can't remember from where though.

• @miTgiB

I'm guessing you're in 530 W 6th street aswell?

• @debug said: I believe that was a stock graphic.

@KuJoe said: They said they bought the mascot from the same designer so the designer is recycling the mascot to save money, kind of shady but I think they said they got a good deal on it.

Well I personally won't ever be a customer of his, I can't stand no originality. He could of at least did his homework and saw that a compeitior was already using it...it's not like Errantweb is unknown, I know of at least one company they've bought out.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited April 2012

@taipres Somebody has a cob up their ass. Maybe you should reminisce on this thread: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2340/

And here is the link to the guy: http://graphicriver.net/item/business-man-mascot/119027

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@miTgiB said: This is not Field of Dreams, build it and they will come. That is a single node. I build 4 nodes a month, every month, and seem to sell all the stock within a week of putting it out there, so I constantly hear when will there be stock, just not as loudly as I see them chant for BuyVM. I'd love to build more, but I only have about $5k free to grow with each month.

Seems like quite a few are coming to VPS6 :) that's why they keep expanding. Anyway I know you're a good host, as I mentioned before I listed you on my site and consumers seemed happy with your plans and service. Lot of great hosts on here in fact. And i'm happy to help them where I can and help their business grow. To be honest, I have absolutely no interest in getting into the low end market, none at all, I was just messing with Aldryic. It's not because of the capital or what it'd take to be successful, I just rather invest in things that have better turn a rounds and make more sense for me. That's why i'd never get into a brick and mortar business, the startup capital is very high and it typically takes many years to get a return on the investment.

In fact people who ask me about what I think about them getting into the low end market, I have "the talk" with them heh. That's partly why i'm such a big fan of unknown/new companies, I know how small this space is and how brutally competitive it is. But also, at the same time I try and talk high end market guys to offer low end plans so they can get new customers in the door, who may tell their friends or upgrade later.

I want my own raid server at home, for redundancy.

edited April 2012

I'm tempted to purchase the RollEyes one (not to post on my website, just to have)... hilarious.

• @FTNEthan said: I'm guessing you're in 530 W 6th street aswell?

I really don't know where I am exactly, but I ship to 530 W 6TH ST, ROOM 901

• FTNEthanFTNEthan Member
    edited April 2012

@miTgiB

Cool, so I assume you're using Quadranet as well :-) I go there a few times a week to rack and work on servers, its a great facility.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited April 2012

@KuJoe said: I'm tempted to purchase the RollEyes one (not to post on my website, just to have)... hilarious.

Imgur

• @taipres said: I can't stand no originality

Coming from the kid that copied the idea of LEB.

• @FTNEthan said: Cool, so I assume you're using Quadranet as well :-) I go there a few times a week to rack and work on servers, its a great facility.

Yes I am at QuadraNet, are you doing work there for URPad only or anyone able to pay your fee?

Looks like we are probably not in the same suite

Host                                Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. escapefromla.hostigation.com      0.0%     3    0.1   0.2   0.1   0.2   0.0
     2. hostg-quadra-gw.hostigation.com   0.0%     3    0.4   0.4   0.4   0.5   0.1
     3. po6.core01.po1.lax13              0.0%     3    0.3   0.4   0.3   0.7   0.2
     4. lax9-r2.core01                    0.0%     2    1.7   1.4   1.1   1.7   0.4
     5. 173.254.233.2.static.quadranet.c  0.0%     2    0.3   0.3   0.3   0.3   0.0

@miTgiB said: or anyone able to pay your fee?

Remote hands costs racking up (my biggest fear with colocating remotely)? :P

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: Coming from the kid that copied the idea of LEB.

What idea is that, list deals on a blog? Since LEB definitely invented that concept? Not. My site is a lot different than LEB, it's better organized, has far more features, lists far more info, and I'm going to continue to innovate it. LEA did inspire me creating it but that's where it ends.