Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inception Hosting - PayPal subscription issue - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Inception Hosting - PayPal subscription issue

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2014

jrdai said: You've taken other people's money again their wishes. I feel I was robbed, and it seems legal, since they've told you they are gonna take it.

You could say that you've given him money against his wishes.

Thanked by 2netomx mikho
  • VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited April 2014

@jrdai said:
    You've taken other people's money again their wishes. I feel I was robbed, and it seems legal, since they've told you they are gonna take it.

All your arguments count on that term, which even it is legal at the moment in your country, does not mean it is right and it will continue to be legal in future.

A fair contract protects both parties. That term ONLY protects yourself. Maybe that's your low-end-spirit.

Those unscrupulous providers think they are smart, setting up tricky terms that may against you some day, are the ones I don't mess with. Do you?

You sent the money against his wishes. Despite him telling you on a number of occasions not to.

Tricky terms? @AnthonySmith has gone above and beyond to make these terms clear to you. Check boxes during signup? A clear TOS? Emails with the relevant info highlighted in yellow? What exactly did you want him to do? Call you and plead with you to cancel the PP subscription?

Do I think you should have been refunded? Probably; however this has been caused solely by your inaction. You have not lost anything as that credit is sitting there for you to use on future service.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

perennate said: You could say that you've given him money against his wishes.

This.

Thanked by 2Maounique netomx
  • VPNVPN Member

@jrdai its taken me 30 minutes to read this thread and it's obvious you're just out for an argument now.

The fact is that numerous people including a moderator and an admin have explained in detail that it is clearly your own fault, yet you seem unable to see how.

Any normal person would of read the very first reply, shrugged their shoulders and accepted their mistake. Followed by removing the subscription and checking for any other random PayPal subscriptions they have.

Grow up and accept your lunch money for today has gone. At the end of the day, it was only $7 right?

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited April 2014

OkieDoke said: At the end of the day, it was only $7 right?

There are parts of the world where $7 would be a day's wages.

I don't see why a provider who does business to the tune of thousands of dollars is adamant and refusing to refund a pittance to a customer who clearly desires a refund and does not wish to continue with the subscription. He didnt read the TOS and numerous emails. Still his $7 is still with you against his wishes. You may argue that it's about principles, but isnt the best principle keeping a customer happy?

Thanked by 1jrdai
  • VPNVPN Member

Yes you should take steps to try and keep the customer happy but what we must not forget here is that the customer made a mistake despite TEN previous reminders and warnings and even advice on how not to make the mistake.

Let's imagine I said to you that I was going to take some money from your account in a couple of weeks. You say ok no problem and sign a piece of paper accepting that its ok. I then remind you another 9 times that I'm going to take it but that you can still change your mind and you say yeah yeah no worries.
    Then I take it and you suddenly call me out as a thief in front of my peers and the general public because you didn't understand what was happening.

I don't think it would unacceptable for me to refuse to give me the money back if I'm the one who has to do all the legwork taking time out of important jobs to go to the bank to transfer the money back to you.

In fact, I would say that it would be your fault as I told you I was taking it and gave you 10 chances to change your mind.

Now multiply this situation by hundreds and that is potentially the problem hosts like Inception are having.
    Why should Inception spend many man hours refunding money when the customer clearly didn't care about it that much themselves?

I had an Inception VPS once but I had to cut back some expenses and as I didn't need it anymore, I decided to get rid of it. I forgot to cancel the PayPal subscription and had to pay another month!

However, rather than act like a petulant child I doubled checked with the ToS on Inception to see what it said about refunds (obviously I'd already read it but being with numerous different hosts means numerous different ToS to read). Opened the bookmark and saw almost straight away that nothing could be done.

So I accepted it was my fault, cancelled the subscription and blew the credit on another unneeded server :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Wow, he's worst troll than the zerocool guy

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@OkieDoke said:
    Yes you should take steps to try and keep the customer happy but what we must not forget here is that the customer made a mistake despite TEN previous reminders and warnings and even advice on how not to make the mistake.

Do not forget that this is they guy who already made the same mistake with other providers.
    Perhaps he will learn not to do it again!?

• moral of the story, don't expect others to think on your behalf.

Thanked by 2Mark_R jvnadr
    edited April 2014

OkieDoke said: I don't think it would unacceptable for me to refuse to give me the money back if I'm the one who has to do all the legwork taking time out of important jobs to go to the bank to transfer the money back to you.

It's not the most apt analogy. What it would take in this case is to sign in to Paypal, search the transaction history for his email id, and choose a partial refund. It would take...2 minutes?

Thanked by 1jrdai
  • VPNVPN Member

It's a scaled example.

The point is the same though, why should the host be responsible for fixing mistakes that occurred because of a customers sheer laziness?

You buy a new TV for £500 and the salesman tells you that there is a odd process beyond their control where if you don't sign in to your online banking and click a cancel button, it's going to take another £500 from you a month later. You agree and go ahead with the purchase.

Then the company warn you again another nine times that this will happen and you just say yeah yeah or perhaps you ignore it - both as bad as each other really.

1 month after the purchase and as warned, another £500 has left your account to the retailer.
    You ask for your money back and they explain that they warned you ten times and you even agreed to conditions that it was YOUR responsibility to stop it and you didn't bother.

As unfair as it may seem, the terms of service are legally binding and as such should never be ignored or dismissed as unimportant.

Bottom line is always the same result, if they do it for one customer then they have to do it for every customer and the working hours soon add up.

• tchentchen Member

@joelgm said:
    It's not the most apt analogy. What it would take in this case is to sign in to Paypal, search the transaction history for his email id, and choose a partial refund. It would take...2 minutes?

You forgot the time needed to check order logs, ticket history, cross reference with past paypal orders to ensure you didn't reverse a valid one, back and forth email on cancellation request because you know you'll get that one customer who got hacked while still paying, etc etc.

Thanked by 2mpkossen AuroraZ
  • it's more simple when i ask refund from an Italy provider here, i raise refund ticket and they ask my PP email, and voila the money back with some cut off, but hey i'm happy :)

Thanked by 2netomx jrdai

@roykem said:
    it's more simple when i ask refund from an Italy provider here, i raise refund ticket and they ask my PP email, and voila the money back with some cut off, but hey i'm happy :)

Morale of the story: you still haven't learned to take care of your money.

Thanked by 2mpkossen netomx
  • @MikHo said:
    Morale of the story: you still haven't learned to take care of your money.

the provider choose not to take the long way, as for me, yes i'm still learn to take care my money, but i think don't we all still need to?

Thanked by 1jrdai

Every provider decides how to handle refunds and the customer agrees on those terms when signing up.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • tchen said: You forgot the time needed to check order logs, ticket history, cross reference with past paypal orders to ensure you didn't reverse a valid one, back and forth email on cancellation request because you know you'll get that one customer who got hacked while still paying, etc etc.

It's not difficult at all.

Paypal>History>Find a transaction
    Enter email of customer, and choose date range. Click Search. Voila!

Thanked by 1jrdai
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@joelgm said:
    It's not difficult at all.

>

Paypal>History>Find a transaction Enter email of customer, and choose date range. Click Search. Voila!

No-one said it's difficult, it's the matter of the time it takes.

edited April 2014

Nekki said: No-one said it's difficult, it's the matter of the time it takes.

It takes 15 seconds after logging in, when you have a customer's email.

Thanked by 1jrdai
  • HeinzHeinz Member

@MikHo said:
    Every provider decides how to handle refunds and the customer agrees on those terms when signing up.

How's this relevant to questionable TOS, doubtful business practices and LET as place to freely discuss about?

Thanked by 2Mark_R jrdai
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@joelgm said:
    It takes 15 seconds after logging in, when you have a customer's email.

But it's not just that action, there's everything else that goes with it. How much is 5 minutes of your time worth?

edited April 2014

Nekki said: But it's not just that action, there's everything else that goes with it. How much is 5 minutes of your time worth?

Worth the discomfort if it means earning the trust and happiness of a customer.

Thanked by 1jrdai
  • HeinzHeinz Member
    edited April 2014

AnthonySmith said: I am happy to take any suggestions on that one, I dont have subscriptions forced though.

Set up paypal payment system within industry standards and enable one time payments directly from invoice instead of referring everyone to pay invoice through subscription and cancel it later.

Gazillion warnings to cancel subscription in Inceptionhosting case isn't just because reckless clients, but also because failed billing system setup the way to give us no option to make one time payment without creating and canceling subscription after every payment.
    People are prone to make mistakes, but much less with a standard payment system with one time (or both) payment option(s).

Thanked by 1jrdai
  • @Heinz i think you are confused, Inceptionhosting isn't forcing subscriptions and let's you choose whether to pay every month or to make a subscription.

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited April 2014

That's strange because Inceptionhosting is the only host where I create subscription for some reason with every payment.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I do not force subscriptions, I even took a screenshot to show this, if this is happening regardless then that is a different matter but that most certainly has never been reported.

To bring this to a close now as the OP has now also despite my offer to work with him on this refused to do so and is essentially not just calling me a thief I have also decided to revoke the account.

And for the last time, if you instruct your bank to send money to someone every month your bank will do that until YOU tell them to stop, the agreement is between you and your bank. paypal is no different.

Requesting that this is closed now as its just pointless.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited April 2014

AnthonySmith said:
    I have also decided to revoke the account.

That was escalated quickly...

(Removed this part as the payment had been refunded according to AnthonySmith...)

Thanked by 1jrdai

@Heinz said:
    How's this relevant to questionable TOS, doubtful business practices and LET as place to freely discuss about?

And how is that quote relevant to this case?

@hwdsl2 said:
    That was escalated quickly...

Not GVH quickly....

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@joelgm said:
    Worth the discomfort if it means earning the trust and happiness of a customer.

Except this is an ex-customer, and having to take time out to refund an ex-customer's mistake impacts the current, paying customers, which isn't fair.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@hwdsl2 said:
    tl;dr So you essentially just decide to keep his money without providing service or even a credit to future service. Is that even legal? He can surely make a dispute with PayPal regarding this.

Sorry perhaps I should have been more clear, I actually have refunded him now, I simply do not wish to do any further business with him so the credit was refunded.

He can/ could have disputed it but would have lost 99 times out of 100 as it is not covered by buyer protection.

This discussion has been closed.