Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/ - Page 21
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/

Comments

• neqsteneqste Member
    edited April 2014

There is benchmarks: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/04/05/NHdWhE2TG4NIJ7GN

I buy one, and it's looks fast. Need to try these servers at real production

• DaveA said: @awson - Did you open a support ticket about the traffic so that we could have verified this by tcpdump, wireshark, etc. Without any documentation on your account with regards to this issue it would be difficult to support your claim of it coming from no where? We are not seeing this "traffic from nowhere" on other instances.

I guess he didn't

• CakeyCakey Member

I must say I'm a bit of a fan of the pay by hour on the Windows VPS as instead of having to buy a vps for $20+ to only use for a couple of hours saves a lot of money.

• Cakey said: Owner of some big forum wut

"wut" big forum do you happen to own? And welcome! :)

• @Cakey said:
    I must say I'm a bit of a fan of the pay by hour on the Windows VPS as instead of having to buy a vps for $20+ to only use for a couple of hours saves a lot of money.

But Vultr charge for the server if you turn it off also. So you pay a monthly price regardless of how much you use the Windows server.
    If you only need to run your Windows server from time to time, and only want to pay for what you using, you can try out iwStack.com. They only charge for diskuse and IP when your Windows server is turned off. Saves you allot of money.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • CakeyCakey Member

myhken said: But Vultr charge for the server if you turn it off also. So you pay a monthly price regardless of how much you use the Windows server. If you only need to run your Windows server from time to time, and only want to pay for what you using, you can try out iwStack.com. They only charge for diskuse and IP when your Windows server is turned off. Saves you allot of money.

Well, I work for a company where we need to transfer files from one server to another thus using a Windows vps as then my colleges can also work on it at the same time (They're not used to using Linux). And what I do is I deploy the VPS, use it and then destroy it as we have no use for it afterwards.

So it will only cost for how long we use it either way, also the thing that pushed me away from iwStacks is the €30 startup as I already have around 30 VPS'es thus pushing only $5 into vultr and getting $10 is much cheaper.

0xdragon said: "wut" big forum do you happen to own? And welcome! :)

I don't think it's allowed to be linked here so yea, but it's a forum that leaks HF's ebooks (All they do is rewrite old ones and resell)

• tommytommy Member

out bound port 25 still blocked by default.

• udkudk Member

Just seen the ISO upload thing is live now. There's no mention of any cost though.

• tommytommy Member

I'm sure that free :)

• I wanted to use it for cpanel hosting and added 25 USD. but now they say I have to give them my cc details to open smtp port.. :(

• Ben_Ben_ Member

@serverian said:
    69.4K views

Any other thread made this many views?!

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/4319/the-cest-pit

• CakeyCakey Member

@niceboy said:
    I wanted to use it for cpanel hosting and added 25 USD. but now they say I have to give them my cc details to open smtp port.. :(

Rewrite your application to use like mandrill's rest API then

• @niceboy said:
    I wanted to use it for cpanel hosting and added 25 USD. but now they say I have to give them my cc details to open smtp port.. :(

I do have to say that this is the one policy that bothers me. I rarely send out email but, there are times when I do. The last I read, Vultr was asking for scans of the front and back of the card. If that's the case, I don't think I'd be comfortable doing that.

• DH22DH22 Member

Yeah, they said they were changing that. Some kind of additional verification is fine but scanning the back of a credit card is not acceptable. Scan of back is still required?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@DH22 said:
    Yeah, they said they were changing that. Some kind of additional verification is fine but scanning the back of a credit card is not acceptable. Scan of back is still required?

It shouldn't

• @myhken said:
    Not many hosts that I ever have prepaid $100 on, ever, beside Prometeus. But I think VULTR has a future.

I got over 200€ credit there, hehe

@serverian said:
    69.4K views

Any other thread made this many views?!

Cest Pit?

• DH22DH22 Member

Never used an ISO upload feature before... What do I need to do to install Windows Server (after uploading the ISO and deploying the VM with it)? Probably going to use 2008 R2, but not sure (also considering 2012 R2 or 2003). Seems like I could save a good amount per month by using my own key. I think I need to at least have VirtIO drivers during the installation?

Thanked by 1activecoupon
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@DH22 said:
    Never used an ISO upload feature before... What do I need to do to install Windows Server (after uploading the ISO and deploying the VM with it)? Probably going to use 2008 R2, but not sure (also considering 2012 R2 or 2003). Seems like I could save a good amount per month by using my own key. I think I need to at least have VirtIO drivers during the installation?

Attach the virtio driver to the ISO, upload, mount.

• udkudk Member
    edited April 2014

I asked for smtp block to be removed yesterday, they did it without any additional verification. I have spent a fair amount though.

On ISO uploading: there needs to be a way to use the ISO with a current VPS, not just new ones.

• netomx said: Attach the virtio driver to the ISO, upload, mount.

Any idea how to attach VirtIO driver to a Windows 2003 ISO?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Slipstream it.
    This might also help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816299

• @udk said:
    I asked for smtp block to be removed yesterday, they did it without any additional verification. I have spent a fair amount though.

I asked the same a few hours ago, to see how it went, and I just got the "Due to frequent fraud experienced from spammer customers, we currently require a CC authorization form in order to validate your identity before we lift the SMTP block." response.

I also spent a fair amount, but I suppose the fact I am from Brazil weights more...

• And a few minutes later, I got another response saying my account was reviewed and the SMTP block lifted. Nice :)

• tommytommy Member

qrwteyrutiyoup said: And a few minutes later, I got another response saying my account was reviewed and the SMTP block lifted. Nice :)

And good luck when sending email to Hotmail/Google Mail server :)

Unfortunately, messages from 108.xxxxx weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list

Testing in US, NL

• Maounique said: Slipstream it.

This might also help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816299

Thanks for the clue. I managed to build my Windows 2003 ISO with VirtIO using NLite after couple hours of trial and error.

• tommytommy Member

@udk said:
    tommy is your IP in any blacklist? http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx?command=blacklist

Not my IP only, but the vultr IP range that blocked by hotmail.
    Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list
    testing on mxtoolbox show nothing but clean.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Try mailgun, free version accepts 10000 emails/month.

• GunterGunter Member

Try mailgun, free version accepts 10000 emails/month.

Mailgun is a bit unstable for me personally. Go Mandrill :)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Hey, @DaveA. Doesn't seem like the links to ping and traceroute checks work for people using IPv6 ;) http://cl.ly/image/0F1G0p2N0510

Also, what happened with the promised DDoS protection in the "core locations"?