Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement

Comments

• ryanarp said: Can we talk about this? I have been looking forward to such an occasion all year :)

Hey! Why nobody invited me?

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Heinz said:
    So what's your opinion about post from @123Systems above? Standard "wait, so what's the big deal about that" now when we know more about this topic? :)

I think I'm running out of popcorn. I don't think he's talking about anything that wasn't hashed out in that old thread Adam posted but maybe I'm wrong. I've got a pitchfork with no one's name on it in particular if someone can provide me with some strong, relevant evidence that I should be pointing it at someone.

When I read that old thread by Adam, you can ask Ryan, I commented to him several times that I thought some of the things @Francisco was screenshotted saying were kinda dickish. But then honestly I accepted that it was just so long before the time that it was posted. It was before I knew who Fran was at all, so I wrote it off as just that...the past. I mean bro I used to troll World of Warcraft all day every day, people change. I'll give anyone a second chance, and since I've known Fran he's been nothing less than one of the most generous and friendly individuals that I've known. It's hard to discount that by who a person was before you met them.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Summary of this: Do you have a service with BuyVM. If yes, does it work? Great, then why the fuck do you care how the provider manages it's services IF IT WORKS ENTIRELY AS EXPECTED.

If no, please describe how your service does not work, in detail.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

vRozenSch00n said: Hey! Why nobody invited me?

Catalyst Vs BuyVM....Which team would you like to join? :) You can drink for both sides if you would like :)

• @Everyone in this thread, I don't like any of you. There I said it. Now do I win?

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • MunMun Member

@123Systems said:
    For what it's worth, Francisco can talk the shorts off of a nun. He's very good at deflection and whenever anything such as this comes up, he's going to piss in your face and make you believe it's raining.

I know for a fact that your intentions behind slabbing are nothing more than greed, you've as much said this to me several times in the past when you were more than happy to share your "slabbing" technique with any john,joe, and sally that pinged your skype.

You told me that you used Vmware ESX to overcommit your resources, isn't that correct? That doesn't sound like the best of intentions. The only difference now is you've moved to another platform that is free so you don't have to pay for ESX, nothing has changed. You'd be hard pressed to get anyone that knows you to believe that you realistically have a 10th of the physical node count that was on the popular BuyVMStatus page back when.

You talk big against other providers and state they run a "Shady Op" but you're no better, you say you offer transparency, but all you really offer is Ghost Transparency, it's there but it's not, you've had multi nodes outages in the past and have blamed them on power strips, when in reality you simply had 1 physical box go offline and as a result you had 4 sub slabs go down with it.

Anyhow, it's a hoot, at this point you're just trying to clean up lies that you've been telling for years now.

For anyone searching for validity on my statements, I have nothing to hide nor nothing to deny. I've known Francisco since early 2010 and I am the one who gave him the domain to start BuyVM.net with in the beginning, I've known him since the start of his little adventure. Whilst I used to claim Francisco was a good friend of mine, I was lied to, deceived, thrown under the bus, and talked about. I have no axe to grind here, I am just here to inform you that Francisco isn't the good ol' chap that everyone thinks him to be. If you knew who and how he really is, you'd begin to judge the validity of anything he has told you.

As I have stated before using a hypervisor doesn't really garner you a benefit in the terms of overcommiting "more" then just overcommiting a regular OpenVZ node.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Mun said: Actually I am referring to the fact that they allowed your rack to be looked into.

Mun

Well, hm. It's not...easy for them to stop it short of sitting someone there with Chris and making sure he doesn't go wondering around. If you want true security you invest in a cage with security panels. In all the DC's I've been in you're to keep to your area as well as workbenches. If the DC offers you a tour they'll show you the areas that they're generally allowed to show off.

@Heinz - He forgot to mention that we did him a solid to get him out of a really tight jam. The only reason we were even able to help him out was because of VMWARE's RAM dedup features. At the time our nodes only had 24GB RAM so it saved him.

Alas, Aldryic did, does, and probably will always, break his balls which doesn't help things.

Francisco

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

This is known for a long time BuyVM did this before.
    As for the performance, I fully agree that past a certain process count the ovz kernel has a tendency to crash, in fact even before I knew BuyVM did it, I told Uncle this might be a solution to sell larger nodes with smaller VMs (for now it only works with big VMs, such as OVerZold). Because Uncle didnt like that, we ended up moving most people on SSD E3s even tho they were not paying for SSD (something like BuyVM does now, I mean upgrading to SSD, only a different approach).
    It is much more stable since. We used to have a node crash every week, now it is hardly one a month, actually last few months only had one and it was mostly due to abuse.

@ryanarp said:

I'm practicing right now. I'm pretty sure you people are all a product of my imagination right now.

• ryanarp said: Catalyst Vs BuyVM....Which team would you like to join? :) You can drink for both sides if you would like :)

I hate the towel dance :P I'll join you :)

@MrObvious said:
    Summary of this: Do you have a service with BuyVM. If yes, does it work? Great, then why the fuck do you care how the provider manages it's services IF IT WORKS ENTIRELY AS EXPECTED.

If no, please describe how your service does not work, in detail.
    @ryanarp said:

The biggest complaint we have right now is Cogent in Vegas. It's on the way out but it has taken way too long to happen.

I fear for the day that a Catalyst VS BuyVM chugathon happens. The SSD's were costly, but I feel that venture is going to break my wallet.

Francisco said: I fear for the day

Just no posting the pictures or video on facebook when I'm naked on the roof of the hotel singing Celine Dion.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • MunMun Member

Its K, I will host it on my DDOS protected webserver from Frantec XD

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

Francisco said: I feel that venture is going to break my wallet.

Raise the stakes and jump straight to drinking the hard stuff. Vodka/Everclear/Rum....We can't do tequila because well you know what happens....

• @Francisco said:
    Francisco

I didn't mention it because it wasn't relevant to this post, the only reason you have done so is to deflect the topic at hand. But I will respond, you did indeed do so, and I have no problem admitting such. I believe I've told this story in the past as well.

My posts actually have nothing to do with Aldyric, I've long since stopped caring about your little chew toy, he's nothing more than someone you let off the leash occasionally to defend your brand when you've ran out of excuses.

In normal settings I would normally not get involved in anything related to BuyVM, as I simply do not care, he has to make a living just like anyone else. At this point, I have no burning desire to remain silent, no axe to grind as stated either, everything I've said is accurate and truthful, I have no reason to fabricate anything, anything I have said regarding his statements he has also told to other people as well.

• Interesting ... are there any problems with such setup. Because it opens new possibilities.

I tried before nesting vmware and windows virtualization but had problems ...

Another hack i heard was to change CPUID to whatever you want.

Thanked by 1laaev

@123Systems said:
    In normal settings I would normally not get involved in anything related to BuyVM, as I simply do not care, he has to make a living just like anyone else. At this point, I have no burning desire to remain silent, no axe to grind as stated either, everything I've said is accurate and truthful, I have no reason to fabricate anything, anything I have said regarding his statements he has also told to other people as well.

Have the energy to back it up?

• Who really cares if any providers do this? Although I do think more people would be bothered (or use it as an excuse to bitch and moan) if it wasn't BuyVM

• @jarland said:
    Have the energy to back it up?

Since you have asked, yes, I do.

Remember, this is ESX. Francisco has since moved on to KVM apparently and probably did a few in between until he found what works for him.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited January 2014

@123Systems Thanks for that. What's the date on that?

• @jarland said:
    123Systems Thanks for that. What's the date on that?

Sometime back in 2010. He mentioned somewhere in this thread that he did ESX on his first "tour" so if that's what you referring to, it's irrelevant, he stated he didn't slab period so let's not try and deflect it shall we?

I'm sure if I checked 2013 I could find more, but what I have given is sufficient.

Right, back when we had ~5 nodes on vmware :) For any of the oldies, you'll remember the "Great buyvm build out" thread, which was when I went to SJC to start building the replacements.

Up until recent you assumed we still had vmware in used in our company. The only place that has vmware is Anthony & I's personal computers for personal linux installs.

Hell, we had a xensource server way back in SJC to run addons01.

Francisco

@123Systems said:
    Sometime back in 2010. He mentioned somewhere in this thread that he did ESX on his first "tour" so if that's what you referring to, it's irrelevant, he stated he didn't slab period so let's not try and deflect it shall we?

>

I'm sure if I checked 2013 I could find more, but what I have given is sufficient.

Well, I mean let's be honest, he said he did on a few early systems right? I didn't see him say he never did, but correct me if I'm wrong, it definitely happens. I'm not really trying to deflect anything, if Fran needs to be thrown under a bus I'm sure someone here can drive one. Recent stuff would probably make the point better imo.

• 123Systems123Systems Member
    edited January 2014

@Francisco said:
    Right, back when we had ~5 nodes on vmware :) For any of the oldies, you'll remember the "Great buyvm build out" thread, which was when I went to SJC to start building the replacements.

Up until recent you assumed we still had vmware in used in our company. The only place that has vmware is Anthony & I's personal computers for personal linux installs.

Hell, we had a xensource server way back in SJC to run addons01.

Francisco

Read the post again. I knew very well what you stated earlier in this thread, but the point is moot. You only stated so because you've been called out on it, had this thread not been here then you wouldn't have admitted to using ESX period.

You swapped out Vmware for XEN in I'm assuming 2011, since you indirectly shared that you consolidate your nodes with XEN on WHT.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?s=7d06deba00b5625dc052a9398bc7d3fe&p=7383441&postcount=13

Here's the chat log you have with ?Adam?KevDam that he shared previously where you mentioned that you consolidated with XEN.

http://i.imgur.com/YWo04zu.png

@jarland, the story continues, please continue reading.

Thanked by 2Rockster jar
  • 123Systems said: you've had multi nodes outages in the past and have blamed them on power strips, when in reality you simply had 1 physical box go offline and as a result you had 4 sub slabs go down with it.

I remember this. It wasn't more a than year ago when some people pointed out.

• hellogoodbyehellogoodbye Member
    edited January 2014

@Heinz said:
    Don't put your hopes up too high here. Public opinion at LET isn't necessary truth. The same thing happened with AdamJ and his http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10300/the-truth-about-buyvm-and-its-shilling/p1

Poor guy with all proofs didn't stand a chance. For individual person is nearly impossible to win argument against popular host and his sockpuppets.

I just finished reading the whole thing (admittedly I was skimming towards the end) and I came away from it with two impressions:

1) That shilling thing happened years ago. What was the purpose of digging it all up at that particular point in time?

2) Again, many opinions were along the lines of "my VPS works great, I don't really care, what's the big deal here?"

I don't think it's a simple matter of people being BuyVM "sockpuppets" just because they're popular. You have to ask yourself: why are they so popular in the first place? The primary reason that comes up time and time again seems to be because they provide great service and they're friendly/helpful. I'm sure if their networks were shoddy and they provided poor support, they wouldn't have had anywhere near the same amount of "whatever, I don't care"s, both back then and right now.

@123Systems said:

Hellllll no. First, we never say XEN on there and no, XEN was a terrible platform to work off.

We had our shared SQL on there and it was falling apart even with a full 8 disk array to itself. I don't know if the xen drivers were crappy in .18 or what but we soon after moved it onto an OVZ on a L5420.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Francisco said:
    Francisco

Are you saying the chat logs KevDam provided are inaccurate?

123Systems said: Read the post again. I knew very well what you stated earlier in this thread, but the point is moot. You only stated so because you've been called out on it, had this thread not been here then you wouldn't have admitted to using ESX period.

Damn quote is broken. Anyway, the ESX comment was handled mannny moons ago, well before you got back into posting on forums.

We talked about it on IRC quite a bit as well in our earlier years.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jar
    edited January 2014

Thanks @123systems. I'm still having trouble putting the pieces together to see the picture that I think I understand you're trying to help me to see. I'll try to draw out what I'm seeing and what I'm not seeing.

"yea we can oversell ram like vmware"

Then...

"i mean at sme point you'll get into swap hell

but it can be done"

Neither of these say to me "we do" or "we always have" or "we have X amount of nodes running this way."

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?s=7d06deba00b5625dc052a9398bc7d3fe&p=7383441&postcount=13

"We put around 120 to a node with each node having 16 - 24G RAM. We're currently in the middle of rebuilding all of our nodes to improve performance and I must say it has been a huge success."

This doesn't help make them look bad IMO. Was there something else I was supposed to see there that my eyes are missing?

Mostly I'm seeing assumptions that are supposedly backed by this data that really doesn't seem to support the assumptions. Again, I may be reading it wrong. I'm all for being corrected.

Thanked by 2k0nsl vRozenSch00n
This discussion has been closed.