Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement

Comments

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited January 2014

kaniini said: No offense, but that datacenter is in a mall. I don't think you can really make that argument.

The ColoCrossing Buffalo datacenter is in the highrise, and is the 3rd tallest building in Buffalo. There is a mall which is connected to the building however.

I cannot imagine the quality of using a residential line for selling VPS hosting, this lacks redundancy and connectivity. Honestly, this is worse than the stuff you'd say about Ed & DirectSpace Fran. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ;)

Now imagine if CVPS was hosting servers in a house (which it's not), but selling it as something completely different. That's both bait and switch, unethical and low brow.

This is a huge masquerades.

Thanked by 2tchen mpkossen
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Francisco said: Right. Batavia is like...10 - 15 minutes away from Buffalo?

Try again its an hour, 45 minutes based on good traffic. Might as well say you were hosted in Toronto too.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2014

CVPS_Adam said: I cannot imagine the quality of using a residential line for selling VPS hosting, this lacks redundancy and connectivity. Honestly, this is worse than the stuff you'd say about Ed & DirectSpace Fran

The lines never, ever, went down, though. Honestly, the only times there was issues was when our prefixes didn't get announced at CC. The Verizon side was a whatever since it was handled all through tunnels.

How is this worse than a company that willingly sells to spammers and then lies to spamhaus to get the listings removed?

We had faster turn around with this Batavia setup for bad hardware than we did at CC.

Francisco

@Francisco, Im sorry I just cant believe a word you are saying. If you can lie to customers about being hosted out of someones house how can I believe you about anything else......

sound like a familiar situation?

• Wow...not a single honest person in this industry.

• Francisco,

Please let me get this straight, at no time did you think it was prudent to tell customers that they weren't buying a server hosted in a datacenter, hosted in Buffalo, or even on a real internet transit pipe? Rather that it was transported via a semi glorified home internet connection?

Thanked by 1mpkossen

@CVPS_Chris said:
    Try again its an hour, 45 minutes based on good traffic. Might as well say you were hosted in Toronto too.

Really? Sure felt shorter but I was talking with Aldryic the whole time so I guess that passes the time.

CVPS_Adam said: Now imagine if CVPS was hosting servers in a house (which it's not), but selling it as something completely different. That's both bait and switch, unethical and low brow.

We list an SLA guarantee. We don't say anything in regards to generators or connections.

You'll have a hard time finding complaints about things in Buffalo that were caused by any of our decisions. We had downtime because of prefix issues, large floods on our upstream switch, & a few that were targeted at a few of our users.

Francisco

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited January 2014

I am still flabbergasted trying to pick myself up from the floor. I simply cannot believe that you were hosting 16 servers off 50mbit (or 100mbit if bonded) and let people think that their crappy throughput was the fault of someone else. Makes me wonder what was REALLY going on with EGI, didn't you have "throughput" issues there too?

CVPS_Adam said: Please let me get this straight, at no time did you think it was prudent to tell customers that they weren't buying a server hosted in a datacenter, hosted in Buffalo, or even on a real internet transit pipe? Rather that it was transported via a semi glorified home internet connection?

What do you define a datacenter as? Generators, security, power, connection. We had all of those and while it wasn't in a bigger building, the space we used had all that + raised floors. The doors were thick with pin locks.

I never said it was a basement, either. It was office space that one of his inlaws owned.

Francisco

• @Francisco, I think that a lot of people are more concerned about the security implications of hosting the servers in someone's home "office".

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Question... is this (the home connection) is what M said back then? About too many servers on a small line?

• It's humorous that Chris and Kevin are calling out others about lying to people.

Does anybody sell popcorn here? I'm fresh out.

Thanked by 2raindog308 TriDoxiuM
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Francisco said:
    Right. Batavia is like...10 - 15 minutes away from Buffalo? I honestly didn't count the minutes when we drove for pickup.

True to my word, doesn't matter who you are or how I feel about you. That's a pretty bad lie. That actually tops about half of the lies I've given @CVPS_Chris shit about. I'm not going to lie, it pisses me off a bit. It's not going to stop me from being a BuyVM customer because I'm happy with my services, but it does make me question what you were thinking by hiding this from us.

I'm not as mad as I should be because you've always been very kind and generous to me and others here. I've watched you give of your time to help even competitors asking nothing in return and not holding it over their heads, time and time again. I know you're a good person because you've displayed good character to me time and time again. But I won't let you off the hook for this one. Potential BuyVM customers need to be aware of this and it's good that it came out. I appreciate you coming clean now but I'm reasonably pissed that you didn't fill us in while we were all bitching about the routing.

Pull something like this again and you'll see how annoying I am when I'm both pissed and I have written you off as someone never to be trusted.

Thanked by 2mpkossen marrco
  • Francisco said: I never said it was a basement, either. It was office space that one of his inlaws owned.

Can you clarify this? Was it an office building, or someone's house? Initially, it came across as though it was someone's house, but if it was an office building, that's at least a little more reasonable.

• Francisco said: We list an SLA guarantee. We don't say anything in regards to generators or connections.

Nobody buys on SLA. People buy on DC certs and to some extent extrapolated expected MTBF from said DC equipment and setup. You've been good on giving SLA and pro-rated credit when its due but that's after incident. There's a difference - much like I shy away from DirectSpace now given your past description of their HVAC setup.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • netomx said: Question... is this (the home connection) is what M said back then? About too many servers on a small line?

Bingo. They had similar problems at EGI, yet no one else complains about similar problems at EGI. Maybe BuyVM is the common denominator :p

Thanked by 1netomx
    edited January 2014

NickM said: @Francisco, I think that a lot of people are more concerned about the security implications of hosting the servers in someone's home "office".

Correct.

That's why it was fully locked with a reinforced door as well as concrete walls on 2 sides, namely the side facing towards the hall. It wasn't some super sketch thing where there's shag carpet or something all around.

We did our best to have it as solid as we could and we did. There was 0 issues caused by the deployment minus some bad Seagates (a bad seagate?! never).

@Jarland: It's not going to stop me from being a BuyVM customer because I'm happy with my services, but it does make me question what you were thinking by hiding this from us.

Honestly within 3 - 4 months of getting into CC there was already the thought of "Where are we moving once our contract is up?". This doesn't justify it and as I've said, I'll take my lumps for not being upfront about it.

This isn't news, though. We discussed the Batavia thing back in...October? November at the latest?

@Jarland: Pull something like this again and you'll see how annoying I am when I'm both pissed and I have written you off as someone never to be trusted.

I stopped chasing 'cheap deals'. Every cheap deal I've chased for colo has bitten me. Instead? Cages, & racks directly with people that own their operating space. I have solid relationships with both datacenters we use and whenever we go to Europe I'll make sure I have the same there.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n

jarland said: I'm not as mad as I should be because you've always been very kind and generous to me and others here. I've watched you give of your time to help even competitors asking nothing in return and not holding it over their heads, time and time again. I know you're a good person because you've displayed good character to me time and time again. But I won't let you off the hook for this one. Potential BuyVM customers need to be aware of this and it's good that it came out. I appreciate you coming clean now but I'm reasonably pissed that you didn't fill us in while we were all bitching about the routing.

I can't even explain good, so please try hard to understand this:

I thought these tactics help a company to gain customers. I said it before, if you're against them, they WILL bash you. Just look at past threads: if anyone say anything bad about BuyVM, between the fanboys, clever insults of Fran and the name-calling of aldryic will finish you up. The problem with CC is that they don't have a Fran to back up customers. Maybe if they did, ppl will behave differently to CC.

Again, don't get me wrong Fran, it is not against you, it is my theory. I finished my services with you bc of the poor connection I got with your VPS.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @NickM said:
    Francisco, I think that a lot of people are more concerned about the security implications of hosting the servers in someone's home "office".

This actually reminds me of back in '08 when Frantech was the only brand, some fella went to their rack and physically took all their drives and held them for ransom.

CVPS_Adam said: Bingo. They had similar problems at EGI, yet no one else complains about similar problems at EGI. Maybe BuyVM is the common denominator :p

as a note, I xtarted with Speadfast, BuyVM, Loomhosts, and 1 of CVPS VPS, and only one of them gave me less than 100kb transfers.... yeah you know of what VPS I'm talking about.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2014

@Microlinux said:
    Well, this is a waste of time.

Agreed.

Much ado about nothing.

The most egregious offense I see here is the ill-conceived effort to besmirch a respectable host. The thread title should be revised.

@123Systems said:
    This actually reminds me of back in '08 when Frantech was the only brand, some
    fella went to their rack and physically took all their drives and held them for ransom.

Not our rack. We had 4 nodes node with a company that owed Steadfast a ton on a bandwidth overage. He pinned it on me with 0 graphs to prove it and went in and took mine and a few other customers drives out of servers (while the boxes were still running) to demand money to pay the bill.

He got paid, our data got destroyed, though.

Said business had this run in with steadfast a few times more after that utnil they got kicked out. Moved to Atlanta where he didn't pay his bills and ran up another $10k+ bill to his host and got repo'd. @Kaniinii can confirm, he tried to buy the brand before then.

CVPS_Adam said: Bingo. They had similar problems at EGI, yet no one else complains about similar problems at EGI. Maybe BuyVM is the common denominator :p

Not really. Again, Mao's was SJC, never about anything on the east coast. You'll be hard pressed to find much of a complaint about us, even in Buffalo, past one of our KVM's requiring a motherboard replacement that I didn't have on hand.

Francisco

• @Francisco, you must have missed this one since I didn't @ you...

NickM said: Francisco said: I never said it was a basement, either. It was office space that one of his inlaws owned.

Can you clarify this? Was it an office building, or someone's house? Initially, it came across as though it was someone's house, but if it was an office building, that's at least a little more reasonable.

NickM said: Can you clarify this? Was it an office building, or someone's house? Initially, it came across as though it was someone's house, but if it was an office building, that's at least a little more reasonable.

I didn't, sorry!

Some office space :) It wasn't anything massive as it was just for the single inlaw to work out of sometimes.

I wouldn't have done it in a house for fear of pipes bursting or crap like that.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

My point made in that post was regarding the lack of security measures you have put in place in the past, it seems to be a recurring trend, no?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@tchen said:
    Nobody buys on SLA. People buy on DC certs and to some extent extrapolated expected MTBF from said DC equipment and setup.

No, people buy on reputation.

That's why you see so many who are happy to defend BuyVM (and some other quality hosts), and why you don't see legions of fans defending some other sketchy hosts (several of which have posted in this thread).

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n Lee
  • Now the truth is gonna comeout that stallion1 was just nulled solus!

Thanked by 1mpkossen

netomx said: The problem with CC is that they don't have a Fran to back up customers. Maybe if they did, ppl will behave differently to CC.

The problem with this is, that ColoCrossing cannot do that. They are too large of a company, too professional, and have a different clientele. Them acting like Fran would be very very bad on.

@123Systems said:
    My point made in that post was regarding the lack of security measures you have put > in place in the past, it seems to be a recurring trend, no?

It was shared colo in a top end datacenter. I can't stop a rack owner that is so broke that he literally steals customers drives to force them to pay anything.

Like, I see where you're trying to get at but it wasn't my name on the rack at Steadfast. We bought 4U's from them and paid out monthly for colocation space.

Francisco

This discussion has been closed.