Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement

Comments

• Rockster said: It's always nothing when some POPULAR company is in question and yet this same crowd would burn less popular company because of smaller things.

Didn't know he was popular? If a smaller company did this to get expensive hardware online for you the client .. I don't think they would burn, probably be praised really it's a suitable solution when OVZ's kernel is so outdated and can't handle modern technology...

Rockster said: Standard double faced LEB mentality however liar is a liar no matter how popular he is.

Not sure about this, haven't followed it.

• MitchellRobert said: OpenVZ uses very old kernels, those kernels didn't like Fran's disk setup so he setup KVM VPS which would basically form a bridge so the older OpenVZ kernel could talk to his new disk setup (via virtio).

^This

• So, bottom line is BuyVM is slabbing their nodes and finally admitting to it.

Thanks for the confirmation :)

• MunMun Member

@Francisco, it still doesn't allow super overselling, you can do it without a hypervisor as well. Not to mention, the dedup function is nice for memory, but you still have limits of CPU, I/O, and network. Its not like you are increasing there speeds.

I know for one deduping a hard drive is a wasted effort, but dedup of memory is nice on VMware, and would only improve performance if used correctly.

I can oversell an OpenVZ node without a hypervisor, and I can oversell OpenVZ node without a hypervisor.

As such my question is still valid. Why does it matter if they are slabbing or not?

Mun

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ja351 said:
    So, bottom line is BuyVM is slabbing their nodes and finally admitting to it.

I don't believe anyone asked post ssd so there isn't much to admit. It's not a lie if it was the truth last time someone asked you about it.

@Rockster said:
    liar

See above. Do you have evidence that it was a lie when it was last answered? It's not a big deal, Fran doesn't always run around revealing every single detail of his node setups. Many companies don't.

• MunMun Member

@ja351 said:
    So, bottom line is BuyVM is slabbing their nodes and finally admitting to it.

Does this matter so much to you? I assume you should finally come out and admit yourself being Adam and tell us about all your fun lies.

Mun

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Mun said: @Francisco, it still doesn't allow super overselling, you can do it without a hypervisor as well. Not to mention, the dedup function is nice for memory, but you still have limits of CPU, I/O, and network. Its not like you are increasing there speeds.

I didn't say it allowed it well, I just said it allowed it easier.

OVZ has process limits that past a certain point things get sketchy and unstable. Personally, we don't run past 3k processes on a node.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • MunMun Member

@Francisco said:
    OVZ has process limits that past a certain point things get sketchy and unstable. Personally, we don't run past 3k processes on a node.

So by all regards, a very big node would get undercommited with OpenVZ, but if you slabbed you would get more utilization of that under used node and garner a better possibility of offering a lower price?

Mun

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Mun said: So by all regards, a very big node would get undercommited with OpenVZ, but if you slabbed you would get more utilization of that under used node and garner a better possibility of offering a lower price?

Maybe? It depends how hard people load their setups.

You're still going to stress the hell out of the hardware side with that kind of a process count.

Francisco

• manacit said: There's also some people who think that the moon landing is fake and the world is flat.

And then there are some people who blindly follow own heroes attacking everyone who dares to say anything against them no matter how true is ;-)
    All this reminds me to a situation from past when Adam started a thread to expose proofs about shilling between hosts orchestrated from BuyVM side. Standard double faced LEB mentality where valid argument from less popular side don't stand a chance against our heros.

jarland said: It's not a big deal, Fran doesn't always run around revealing every single detail of his node setups.

@jarland just spare me with your double standard crap. You wouldn't show half that mercy if some Chris would be in question. You're full of shit as always.

@Rockster said:
    jarland just spare me with your double standard crap. You wouldn't show half that mercy if some Chris would be in question. You're full of shit as always.

So you plan to expose your intellectual superiority by talking to me like a child? I absolutely would treat Chris the same way. Care to show me where Chris is "caught" using KVM so I can do so?

• MunMun Member

@Rockster said:
    jarland just spare me with your double standard crap. You wouldn't show half that mercy if some Chris would be in question. You're full of shit as always.

You have ignored my question multiple times, are you a politician? Answer my question on why slabbing is a no no? Otherwise this is a null argument that has zero relevance.

edited January 2014

@Mun said:
    You have ignored my question multiple times, are you a politician? Answer my question on why slabbing is a no no? Otherwise this is a null argument that has zero relevance.

You don't understand his logic. Fran lied because he told the truth and didn't come back to dig up an old ass thread to update it a year later.

I didn't say it was an intelligent point ;)

• From Kanini's post:

There are some fairly legitimate use cases where slabbing might be advantageous -- live migrations being one of them. If you've already put in high-availability infrastructure, it is a way where you can kind of get the advantages of HA for your OpenVZ deployments. That's fine, really.

But then you have the dodgier hosts which do slabbing solely as a way to overcommit their servers even further (by taking advantage of slabbing to split a physical server up into multiple scheduling domains) -- these are the ones which are less than honest about their use of hypervisors on their OpenVZ deployments.

• slabbing is no no when goal is to appear a larger company

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • MunMun Member

@jcaleb said:
    slabbing is no no when goal is to appear a larger company

Most companies lie about how big there company is even without slabbing, its not like CVPS stated they had there own office space or anything.........

Mun

• RocksterRockster Member
    edited January 2014

Mun said: Answer my question on why slabbing is a no no?

I never said slabbing is no no. Lying is no no.

We don't like to be lied by CC but seems completely acceptable from BuyVM to lie and this is what annoys me.

When Chris exposed that BuyVM doesn't have so many nodes as they list them on monitoring and they host OpenVZ inside KVM environment Fran said that this isn't true.
    When some people noted that always four OpenV nodes at same time die Fran again said that this isn't true.
    And now... ah, well... it's BuyVM with army of minions so why do I even bother, rite?!

Thanked by 1mpkossen
    edited January 2014

@Rockster said:

Quote button still fails.

Anyway. Did he lie or was it the truth then? You've purposely lied about this situation by selectively ignoring Fran's statement that he did this for some of the ssd upgrades. He said it, it's plausible, it means he isn't a liar or is not proven to be one yet. You ignored it because it doesn't fit the narrative you want people here to see, so you want to press your opinion hard and hope that people will read your words and forget or overlook his. You are a liar. You know how we treat liars.

Now when I was incorrect when speaking to Biloh in a recent thread, I apologized. I'm not bragging, no one likes to apologize. Do you plan to do the same?

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • RocksterRockster Member
    edited January 2014

@jarland like said before I am atleast not so full of shit fanatically defending certain sides and fanatically attacking others all the time no matter what's the truth.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited January 2014

Heh heh heh @kanini just opened a Pandora's Box.

I think we should open the thread and post all providers that slabbing along with the performance.

Then we know who oversell to bleed, who don't, who have the skill to set a server and who don't :P

• I'm pretty certain that BuyVM's use of slabbing has been known for years. As others have said, if the performance isn't hurting why does it matter?

I wrote the prototype of that tool as part of an investigation into why a newly purchased VPS was so whacked out.

Thanked by 1Rockster
  • MunMun Member

@rockster.

Hypothetically,

A young boy is asked by a girl if he is a virgin. He says shyly "yes I am". 6 months later, the girl smiles at the boy and says to him in a joking way to the boy "Are you still a virgin?" The boy looks back at his now girl friend, and gives her a look and says "No, I am not a virgin anymore."

Thus the boy has lied, and we should all hang him for sinning??????

At the time of the post where frantec "lied", do you have any other proof of them slabbing? Is there issues with there service that would be caused by slabbing? You have actually answer none of my questions, and answered very politically. You changed the subject to what you want and it is about "lying" yet you still have no concrete proof that they were slabbing some few months ago when that post was made.

Mun

• @kaniini said:
    I'm pretty certain that BuyVM's use of slabbing has been known for years. As others have said, if the performance isn't hurting why does it matter?

I wrote the prototype of that tool as part of an investigation into why a newly purchased VPS was so whacked out.

Thank you.

@Rockster said:
    jarland like said before I am atleast not so full of shit fanatically defending certain sides and fanatically attacking others no matter what's the truth.

If you have a problem with me I suggest you come out with it instead of flinging mud like an angry teenager. I don't have time for name calling. Do you have something intelligent to add or are you just here to spew profanities and lies while claiming to be sitting on an invisible high horse?

• ive gained 10 pounds this last month with all the drama.
    here comes 11.

• I have no idea what the context or background is with this whole thing, least of all the implications of slabbing and whether it's good or bad and why. Don't even have a VPS from BuyVM. All I know after reading this entire thread is that @ja351 and @Rockster sound like they have some sort of personal grudge against BuyVM that goes beyond the actual issue they're supposed to be bringing up, and no amount of logic is going to deter them from achieving their objective of dragging @Francisco's name through the mud. Which apparently is not turning out the way they want so instead anyone who remains unconvinced is... apparently a BuyVM minion who only defends him because BuyVM is more popular?

Thanked by 1Radi
  • Would you mind telling us which company (or provider, to be more exact) this concerned? I forgot.

@kaniini said:

@hellogoodbye said:
    I have no idea what the context or background is with this whole thing, least of all the implications of slabbing and whether it's good or bad and why. Don't even have a VPS from BuyVM. All I know after reading this entire thread is that ja351 and Rockster sound like they have some sort of personal grudge against BuyVM that goes beyond the actual issue they're supposed to be bringing up, and no amount of logic is going to deter them from achieving their objective of dragging Francisco's name through the mud. Which apparently is not turning out the way they want so instead anyone who remains unconvinced is... apparently a BuyVM minion who only defends him because BuyVM is more popular?

For someone without knowledge of all the events up to this point you sure are quite perceptive :)

Thanked by 1hellogoodbye
  • @concerto49 said:
    Sure, we need to be transparent, but how far would you like to go? Should be list the bios version too?

I'm pretty sure that the methods I use could be adapted to find more information about the host environment. A lot of hypervisors do "incorrect" things with instructions -- this is how we are able to detect Xen PV vs Xen HVM... under PV mode, we turn the instruction into something malformed and Xen lets it through anyway because CPUID is emulated.

• Mun said: yet you still have no concrete proof that they were slabbing some few months ago when that post was made.

I can't tell for sure but if I remember correct CVPS guy posted something about less nodes in Buffalo DC than BuyVM list them. For me personally it would be extremly annoying to have more than one VPS hosted at same node. But that's just me.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
This discussion has been closed.