Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement - Page 21
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Haha I can't read his name without laughing :P

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited February 2014

jarland said: Haha I can't read his name without laughing :P

Actually I have a good hope on that kid, if only there is no language barrier and he has a good mentor, he would become something good.

Thanked by 2jar Mark_R
  • @Mun said:
    GuanYu

You are right, but then again he did say that there was another New York location in Batavia, yet you fully ignore it as it isn't the answer you want.

I do not ignore it, you're just not familiar with past occurrences or you forgot them.
    Fran indeed stated that but only in response to public reveal by Chris some year ago that BuyVM does not have so many Buffalo OpenVZ nodes as they stated.
    If he were so honest and transparent guy as some say or want to believe he would admit slabbing in Buffalo instead of lie about Batavia which makes him look like a fool now who hosted thousands clients at some random barn... He fucked up lying and he knows that.

• @GuanYu said:

Nope, you just want one answer. I wouldn't tell my customers the exact location of my servers.

Mun

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Mun said: I wouldn't tell my customers the exact location of my servers.

Hum, why wouldnt you ? Do you fear them going to steal your gear ? Why would you fear that if they are in a secure datacenter ?
    I think this and the kernel version issue are moot, even if you tell the current kernel version, it might not be the same when an exploit comes, for example, and anyway, cant stop anyone from trying even if they dont know. If someone is really after you, will get you sooner or later, depends how much time and energy will invest in that. Nothing is 100% secure, we must live with this fact.

• tchentchen Member
    edited February 2014

Maounique said: Mun said: I wouldn't tell my customers the exact location of my servers.

>

Hum, why wouldnt you ? Do you fear them going to steal your gear ? Why would you fear that if they are in a secure datacenter ?

It's for the client's own good, lest they come across the ex-military trained uncle and fort-knox security measures. Uncle Chuck takes no prisoners.

At least on Fran's account, I can fathom that it's for personal reasons. Someone gave them the chance to stash their gear while getting things sorted out. Posting the office (not DC) location on a public forum just to get people off his back would just be an uber-dick move.

But aside from that, I have to agree with @Maounique. Why wouldn't you (@Mun) post your server location?

edit: goddamn quoting engine.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited February 2014

concerto49 said: Have fun fixing the bugs all day long :)

Not really, this is existing and old as hell functionality; nothing that had to be implemented in the new Linux-based kernel.

I know of a boatload of people pulling it off just fine too, and unlike the 3500/45{00|50} -- these will actually take multiple full-tables just fine.

• MunMun Member
    edited February 2014

Exact location, San Francisco would be fine, but not San Francisco in rack #1 at 111 Howd' street.

As CC proves, data center security is quite lacking.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited February 2014

@Wintereise said:
    I know of a boatload of people

The mafia. Runs................ the stabbing continues.

• @tchen said:

He is being asked the address because he stated the servers were running in office space with and quote "Has everything a regular DC has" end quote. If this is the case then he should have no issue sharing the physical address in order to confirm that it was actually office space.

Either way you put it, a lot of their NY customers were stiffed for some time by being placed in a sub-par location with a residential line.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @123Systems said:

Out of curiosity, do you post your office address online?

• @123Systems said:

It's possible he's adopted the 123systems approach to answering things?

• @skybucks100 said:
    Out of curiosity, do you post your office address online?

No one asked him for his office address, I have no idea where you got that from. It's not his office, nor does BuyVM have a physical office. Francisco lives in Canada and the rest of his staff are spread out across the states.

He was asked for the office address/basement address that he hosted his customers out of when they were getting stiffed before BuyVM left NY for Choopa.

As you can see, there is a noticeable difference there.

• Where do I sign up to become an apprentice/intern of someone good....
    Anyway, I cannot believe I've spent over 2 hours reading all of this.

• 123Systems said: he stated the servers were running in office space with and quote "Has everything a regular DC has" end quote. If this is the case then he should have no issue sharing the physical address in order to confirm that it was actually office space.

Didn't he at one point in time mention that it was hosted in a home basement out of one of Aldryic's cousins home in Batavia? I don't recall when the story changed to an office, but either way it was a non-enterprise environment and using a residential line like you said.

• MunMun Member
    edited February 2014

@CVPS_Adam said:
    Didn't he at one point in time mention that it was hosted in a home basement out of one of Aldryic's cousins home in Batavia? I don't recall when the story changed to an office, but either way it was a non-enterprise environment and using a residential line like you said.

Where did it say residential line, as It didn't. It was a business line. Not to mention it was never a basement, that is just what everyone called it to make it sound gloomy.

Mun

• @123Systems said:
    As you can see, there is a noticeable difference there.

I'm confused? It's an office space, where he hosted his servers? That's still an office space. If you don't post your office address online, why should he? Just because servers are hosted there doesn't change it into "everyone has the right to know, it's now a datacenter not an office space."

That's just my point of view, though.

Thanked by 1Mitsuhashi
  • @Microlinux said:
    Well, this is a waste of time.

• 123Systems said: ...before BuyVM left NY for Choopa.

Wow, they did, didn't they? That truly proves that they must be the scum of the earth, as CVPS put it. Choopa. What a sucky place they chose to colocate. Horrendous.

• @Chumbi said:
    Wow, they did, didn't they? That truly proves that they must be the scum of the earth, as CVPS put it. Choopa. What a sucky place they chose to colocate. Horrendous.

It's read as Chew-pa actually :)

• concerto49 said: It's read as Chew-pa actually :)

Dios mío! It reminds me of El chupacabra :P

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Chewbacca

• You wouldnt want to know what chew-pa means in our language ;)

• RyanDRyanD Member
    edited February 2014

Thanked by 2MrObvious ihatetonyy
  • alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited February 2014

@RyanD I thought it should be Pony ? :D

Thanked by 2Maounique Mark_R
  • Francisco said: We try to be as transparent and honest as we can, as well as do right by everyone as best we can.

Since you've already said it was an office and not a home, certainly you wouldn't have a problem sharing the address with us right?

Francisco said: I would because it's private information :)

• To think there wasn't anything beyond beating a dead horse...

• @CVPS_Adam said:

He said it was a family owned office didn't he? I'd understand not wanting to let out an address of somewhere a family member owned.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider
  • Would someone just sink/lock this already?

This discussion has been closed.