Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@CVPS_Chris said:
    We shall see the downfall very soon. Just remember March 2015, I said it first.

Why are the dates on that image blacked out?

Was this before Solus looked at Stallion and realized "oh...we can't sue."

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • VPNVPN Member
    edited January 2014

@joepie91 said:
    I find it amazing how there are certain people that - regardless of what provider a thread is about - consistently walk into "drama" or controversial threads, just to tell everybody else that "this thread is pointless", "it's no big deal" and "who cares", when they could've easily just ignored these type of threads.

I can't help but wonder if there is some form of mitigation of cognitive dissonance going on here.

Sometimes you need a neutral party to walk in and point out that there are far more important things to worry about in the world.

If the points in this thread are your only concerns in life then you need to get out a little bit more.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2014

@Jack said:
    I think it's quite impressive that most clients saw no difference latency/ bandwidth quality wise when they basically home hosted it.

My guess is that Batavia venture never really existed and it was just unlucky lie to cover slabbing (75% less nodes in Buffalo than they advertised) and now this same lie bite them in the ass.

First family members place, then office space, then office space with reinforced doors, concrete walls and what not..
    It's just guess of course.

• Well I have been to Batavia, and I'm surprised that they would have FIOS internet. Frankly I'm not sure if I believe that they do.

• SysAdmin said: Well I have been to Batavia, and I'm surprised that they would have FIOS internet. Frankly I'm not sure if I believe that they do.

Someone confirmed a few pages back that Batavia didn't have FiOS available; who knows?

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Keep in mind that business-class service availability is different than consumer-class service availability. Companies like Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, etc. may build out to a business even if there isn't consumer-level service in the area.

Thanked by 1tchen
  • Electricity bills for the LET CSI crowd? ;)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Man

Thanked by 2manacit JTR
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I had my share of issues with BuyVM frontmen Aldryic and later Francisco but I have to point out some things:
    1. If they managed that and keep customers happy good to them. IMO I would have tried similar things if It wasn't Uncle to flatly refuse it. It does make sense from my point of view.
    2. It never looked to me like they are telling the truth all the time, but if they managed to offer a good quality service, then that is not so important for most customers.

Nobody can accuse me of being a BuyVM fan, but they did some pretty good things for the market and community in the past.
    However this comes down to one thing that worries me. Someone said there is no honest host in the market and this is a really sad generalization.
    It is like in politics everyone thinks politicians are corrupt and deserve only contempt, so no honest person becomes a politician, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Same with immigration: we keep the borders closed for x nation but criminals dont worry about borders, so the huge majority of the people from that nation that come are criminals, therefore we proved that nation is made up of criminals, it was correct to deny them entry.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2014

OkieDoke said: Sometimes you need a neutral party to walk in and point out that there are far more important things to worry about in the world.

If the points in this thread are your only concerns in life then you need to get out a little bit more.

While I understand that - and it's definitely important to keep things in perspective - that isn't the only thing that's happening here. What is happening here, is that there are several people (not including you, as far as I can tell) who:

1. Post a remark along the lines of "who cares" without anything about keeping in perspective or any other elaboration, just a generic remark like that
    2. Doing this in virtually every "drama thread" or controversial thread and
    3. Doing this despite several other people already having done the same thing.

I don't get the impression that their goal is to make people keep things in perspective (for the above three reasons, because that behaviour is not consistent with the goal you state). Rather, I get the idea that they're trying to justify their own not-doing-anything-about-this by pointing and laughing at anybody who does give a shit or tries to change the situation.

All this is pretty much a textbook example of coping with cognitive dissonance (the "actions don't match opinions" type, not the "holding contradicting opinions" type), and I would be very surprised if that is not what is going on. You can see a lot of similar behaviour around the topic of more "traditional" activism.

EDIT: On the topic of "not letting these topics getting out of hand"; if anything, people walking in and loudly proclaiming "WHO CARES" will just make the issue worse. It causes frustration for those that do care, contributes nothing useful to the discussion, and just makes things light up even more.

Thanked by 2Dylan vRozenSch00n
  • Holy hell guys, I've never seen such flaming on LET before. I understand there are some "transparency" issues regarding Francisco not updating an older post of a time when he didn't slab. But c'mon, if you're getting the services you paid for without any issues, be happy! Every day I see bad reviews about hosts and how people didn't get the full service they paid for. Fran here is busting his *** to make sure his clients get their money's worth and are happy, even when he's supposed to be relaxing on vacation.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Honestly, we should just leave it at that.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Even better place to leave it, Fran owned up to some stuff and accepted the consequences. He did have to be pressed a bit, but what we're used to around here is "here's undeniable proof" followed by "wasn't me." That's the typical exchange in these events here at LET.

Forgiveness is an important thing. But when you don't own up to what you've done...you get zero.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2014

I just went to the BuyVM site, turns out they sell virtual servers, perhaps I am missing something but...

1) what has it got to do with anyone how they provide them, and what measurable loss has anyone suffered as a result?

2) there is no second question.

Any measurable loss by being on a nested container is probably not even remotely close to the difference between being on a 4 disk raid 10 node vs a 6 disk raid 10 node, or between being on an E3-1230 vs an E3-1240 based node.

In reality because the underlying system is backed by a newer kernel version and drivers if anything you are getting better performance than native on the stock OVZ kernel.

Personally I don't slab but frankly I don't see any problem with it and I would actively encourage it if it brings higher density with minimal loss on performance as the net result is better priced packages for customers.

It is not deception is is ingenuity.

• i did a quick check on FIOS availability in Batavia NY, and got this.

http://puu.sh/6DTIz.png/ss (2014-01-30 at 10.03.20).png

NO FIOS AVAILABLE

the address i entered is Batavia City Hall.
    http://www.batavianewyork.com/

• Ya there are a lot of areas in Buffalo where FIOS isn't available, it doesn't surprise me that Batavia is one of them. It's pretty far away from the major population center of WNY.

• @black said:
    Holy shit, 6 pages. Anyone have a summary?

• @joepie91 said:

EDIT: On the topic of "not letting these topics getting out of hand"; if anything, people walking in and loudly proclaiming "WHO CARES" will just make the issue worse. It causes frustration for those that do care, contributes nothing useful to the discussion, and just makes things light up even more.

You want an echo chamber. And subsequently are lashing out against the 'others' who don't share that same perspective on how important this is. People who've chimed in saying 'who cares' so far have explained their stance, whether you agree or not. They haven't just posted a terse trolling comment as your foggy goggles are making it out to be. AND they haven't passive aggressively posted pure character based dismissals with a wink wink smile smile to one side.

If you feel frustrated that people exist in the world that don't share your own proclivities, that's perfectly understandable and human. If you feel frustrated enough to join the conversation that too is also understandable. If however, you feel the need to just join in and bust balls because it's your way or the highway, go outside and learn to associate with others because you need more experience in societal manners.

This is a thread on a public forum and bubbles up on everyone's read list. It begets more like-threads given the attention it derives. If some members don't like the direction this takes the board and proclaim as much, who are you to silence them?

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2014

jarland said: Forgiveness is an important thing. But when you don't own up to what you've done...you get zero.

Jarland, the thing is Fran has not owned up to anything. He keeps changing his story. First it was hosted with a family member, then an office space, then a secure location. He is reluctant to give us the address of this "unknown" place.

Like people said prior, its just a lie, and hes caught in it with no way out. He never had servers in another location, all he had was the 5 in Buffalo making it look like he had 20+.

There are many more skeletons that will come out, and you will see that Fran and his < pink pony > are just < nice gentlemen > that really have no business being in this industry.

MOD EDIT: warning sent.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

CVPS_Chris said: and you will see that Fran and his horse are just scum of the earth that really have no business being in this industry.

if you just delete that part, your post sounded fine

• @joepie91 i also realize that a few of us came down hard on your recent expose post on vpsboard at and around the same time. It's unfortunate we all posted at and around the same time so it appears there was some collusion on ganging up on you. I got notice of Jarland's first post while composing the response and decided to credit his first post. Still, I think our posts can stand alone on their own merits. The fact that three people felt the need to point out issues at the same time should have probably given you pause to reflect back on the original post. Instead you seem to have chosen the route of lashing back at everyone now which is unfortunate.

• JupiterJupiter Member
    edited January 2014

CVPS_Chris said: There are many more skeletons that will come out, and you will see that Fran and his horse are just scum of the earth that really have no business being in this industry.

Hold your horses dude as if you are a holy ...

@Jupiter, please keep this on topic. What Fran has done is much worse than anything I have ever been accused of doing ( and for the record 99% of what was ever said was false and started by Fran ).

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

tchen said: You want an echo chamber.

If I wanted that, a forum wouldn't exactly be the best place to go looking for it.

tchen said: And subsequently are lashing out against the 'others' who don't share that same perspective on how important this is.

Please show me where I'm "lashing out"?

tchen said: People who've chimed in saying 'who cares' so far have explained their stance,

And their stance consisted of nothing but "who cares if the VPS works", which isn't really relevant to the topic of 'deception' at all. In other words, there wasn't really a motivation.

tchen said: AND they haven't passive aggressively posted pure character based dismissals with a wink wink smile smile to one side.

I'm not sure what makes you interpret it as such, but that is nowhere near what I intended. I was posting my thoughts on the situation, and that's it.

tchen said: who are you to silence them?

I am not silencing anybody. I am not asking for anybody to be silenced. I am pointing out that there is some odd behaviour going on, and that I suspect that it has a particular cause. What are you going on about?

tchen said: @joepie91 i also realize that a few of us came down hard on your recent expose post on vpsboard at and around the same time. It's unfortunate we all posted at and around the same time so it appears there was some collusion on ganging up on you.

This "who cares" bandwagon has been ongoing for a few months now, on pretty much any topic. It appears to have become the standard response to anybody pointing out anything they don't like, and I've remarked on this before. This has nothing to do with two threads happening at the same time, I just finally got fed up enough with it to make a more direct post about it.

tchen said: The fact that three people felt the need to point out issues at the same time should have probably given you pause to reflect back on the original post.

Except that is complete nonsense; that three people do the same thing does not somehow make it justified or "right", especially not if the same people are exhibiting this behaviour constantly.

tchen said: Instead you seem to have chosen the route of lashing back at everyone now which is unfortunate.

Again, show me where I'm "lashing out". I am simply pointing out behaviour that is becoming more and more frequent around here, and that leads to this becoming a haven for scammers, lies, and other untrustworthy behaviour. The "community vetting" spirit that existed on LowEndTalk around the time LEA ran things, has practically died out; and this "who cares" bandwagon is only making that situation worse.

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    Jupiter, please keep this on topic. What Fran has done is much worse than anything I have ever been accused of doing

What is this exactly? A pissing contest who is the meanest? Wow, so much for professionalism. Some people should never have left the department store...

Thanked by 1tchen

@Chumbi, Fran deserves every last bit of it. He has done worse to me repeatedly over and over again posting false information about myself and my company. In this situation the information is true. Stop making derogatory remarks just because you don't understand the situation.

• LeeLee Veteran

@123systems - You have posted more in this thread than I have seen you as a "Community Liaison" on WHT despite the many threads about your shit service over there that you seem to be very adept at ignoring.

@CVPS_Chris - People in glasshouses? That aside, right or wrong you are not the person to be commenting on anyone elses service given all the issues with CVPS, JB should have fired you long ago.

@Francisco - You lying, cheating, piece of .. Oh wait, actually, no, all good. Never had a single issue with the service at BuyVM.

Now my view here is that on the internet, where people and infrastructure are hidden out of view people will shave a couple of millimeters off the truth here and there, it's easy to do because a lot of what you are told from providers is not easily verified. So you need to make a decision as to whether you believe it or not. Much of that is about reputation.

Have BuyVM been telling lies? Yeah, looks like it. Has it made them a provider to avoid due to the poor service and performance resulting from what they have done or doing? No.

There are so many providers that start out with lies but forget to stop, you know the obvious ones, they are easy to spot. For others it takes time to weed them out and it we know it will happen eventually, isn't that right @greenvaluehost, @CPVS_Chris, @all_the_others

I think that BuyVM started out with the best intentions like many, shaved those few mill off the truth along the way, built the reputation regardless, but actually grew the infrastructure in the right way providing a service that few have complaints about.

If the worst they did was host a few servers in a basement, blamed a few upstreams for the stress on their lines, used a node setup that works and nobody is unhappy with but were economical around the truth of it all then it's not the end of the world really.

Bottom line is that in the weeks and months ahead BuyVM will I am sure still be growing and offering a great service both from a people and performance point of view, whilst the same repeat offenders will be appearing in new threads about more lies and poor performance.

Pretty sure we can all list providers claiming to be something they are not, bigger than they are and so on. So here is to the next thread about (insert name) when someone finds out what they have been doing! :P

• This sounds like a WPAR on PowerVM. Hehe we pay big money to be able to do this :)

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    Chumbi, Fran deserves every last bit of it. He has done worse to me repeatedly over and over again posting false information about myself and my company. In this situation the information is true. Stop making derogatory remarks just because you don't understand the situation.

You're right. I don't understand the situation. I was also never a salesman in a department store before becoming an expert in VPS hosting.

Thanked by 2Pwner TheLinuxBug
  • @Chumbi said:
    You're right. I don't understand the situation. I was also never a salesman in a department store before becoming an expert in VPS hosting.

Is there a school for web hosting that I don't know about?

This discussion has been closed.