Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM - Allegation of Trouble, Lies, Slabs, Hosts Servers in Basement

Comments

• Other than the possible Overselling angle, there usually aren't any. BuyVM's method here seems to be pretty smart. Using a newer OS to interface with the hardware, then a KVM over the entire node to run OpenVZ in. Gain the benefits of newer kernels for the hardware and resource seperation from the node. PLUS, if the OpenVZ node decides to KP, it's a simpler operation to revive it, not involving delving into the deep dark depths of IPMI, and saving the lives of the requisite customer sacrifices to the IPMI gods. Sacrifices suck. So much blood to clean out of the IRC channel.

Thanked by 2tchen TriDoxiuM
  • @Jupiter said:
    apart from all the hate ...

can someone explain the drawbacks of slabs. Because i loved the idea :)

Some pages back..

@kaniini said:
    If you cut a server into smaller "slabs" then you get better scheduler efficiency because there are less PIDs in each scheduler domain. A similar effect can be accomplished using cgroups, but things like SolusVM do not support that at all. Hince why slabbing is interesting to some which want to overcommit the nodes. It can "soften the blow" so to speak by providing another level of isolation.

@mpkossen said:
    I remember I read something a while back about memory deduplication or something? I'm not a virtualization expert by any means, but I remember it works like this: all identical processes use the same memory locations as they're identical and they're pulled apart once they change. This way you can overcommit a lot more than you can do on bare hardware. I'm probably explaining it all wrong.

Anyway, read this: http://blog.allanglesit.com/2011/03/linux-kvm-taking-advantage-of-memory-deduplication/

@kaniini said:
    That's basically a good explanation of what memory deduplication does, yes.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@CVPS_Adam said:
    Did Batavia simply not exist or was the connectivity even worse? Clearly FiOS is not available there.

Let's be honest, you can't just know what's available from putting in an address. ISPs don't always list availability sometimes a phone call makes a difference. I've seen too many ISPs run this way in various areas due mostly, I assume, to their incompetence.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • JupiterJupiter Member
    edited January 2014

Magiobiwan said: Other than the possible Overselling angle, there usually aren't any

I tried similar setup in the past but the performance was horrific. It was Windows Hyper V nested inside VMWare using EMC SAN as datastore.

The idea then was disaster recovery and provisioning automation which we had for VMware but not for Windows.

Maybe BuyVM should write a paper on slabs and present it at VMWare TechNet :)

• @Jupiter said:
    Maybe someone should write a paper on slabs :)

For ESXi bases, virtually ghetto usually has pretty good write-ups on getting nested virts to work properly.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said:
    Let's be honest, you can't just know what's available from putting in an address. ISPs don't always list availability sometimes a phone call makes a difference. I've seen too many ISPs run this way in various areas due mostly, I assume, to their incompetence.

Jarland, I lived here all my life and Batavia is basically farm country. FiOS doesnt even exist in some of the populated areas in the Buffalo area and some neighborhoods because the houses are considered too far apart ( about 300 feet ). Its a 99.99% sure bet that Batavia does not either.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@CVPS_Chris said:
    Jarland, I lived here all my life and Batavia is basically farm country. FiOS doesnt even exist in some of the populated areas in the Buffalo area and some neighborhoods because the houses are considered too far apart ( about 300 feet ). Its a 99.99% sure bet that Batavia does not either.

Fair enough I've never been there I just figured Adam was going off what other people said about typing in addresses.

• @Jupiter said:

OpenVZ in VMWare isn't nesting virtualizations. That's putting a container isolation system (OpenVZ in this case) in a memory optimizing hypervisor.

Nested virtualization means full virtualization (with CPU virt extensions) inside full virtualization. (so basically... INCEPTION! :-)

• MitchellRobert said: (so basically... INCEPTION! :-)

lol...

I think INCEPTION! is VMWare with KVM inside of it, with Xen-HVM inside of that, running OpenVZ as an airduct shortcut through the maze..

• @nunim said:

You forgot PV inside HVM for ultimate inception!

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

LOL at the updated thread title.... Don't work too hard on appearing unbiased, mpkossen

Thanked by 2Spencer Alesso
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@MannDude

I think you missed the post where the OP asked for it to be changed:
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/458622/#Comment_458622

Fliphost said: I think you missed the post where the OP asked for it to be changed:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/458622/#Comment_458622

You mean his only other contribution in this thread? Yes, I did miss that.

Isn't the OP the same guy as @Jake who posted similar threads but was later found out to be one of the Buffalo boys?

• I haven't had a chance to read all the posts on this thread but, after reading the first post, I sure hope that @ja351 and @CVPS_Chris have factual evidence to back up the claim that BuyVM stole source code and used the stolen code in one of their products. Accusing someone of theft in a public forum is very serious, especially when said accusation would definitely have a detrimental effect on the accused's business reputation and its income. Of course it is up to Francisco, but many corporations have gone to court for much less.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to do business with BuyVM again, as I have nothing but positive things to say about my dealing with them and the performance of their offerings.

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy MannDude
  • JupiterJupiter Member
    edited January 2014

MitchellRobert said: Nested virtualization means full virtualization (with CPU virt extensions) inside full virtualization. (so basically... INCEPTION! :-)

Right on! Will have watch the INCEPTION movie again to gain insight on the technology used :)

MitchellRobert said: OpenVZ in VMWare isn't nesting virtualizations. That's putting a container isolation system (OpenVZ in this case) in a memory optimizing hypervisor.

Are you serious. It was triple nested in the end :) WOW

• LOL, I just read the title (that seems to keep having stuff added on) and I thought it said "steals souls"

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited January 2014

hostnoob said: "steals souls"

Nah, the closest it gets to that — or at least what @SysAdmin, @CVPS_Adam, and @CVPS_Chris have told me, all in private messages — is that the rack in Batavia was actually hydroelectrically powered by the tears of orphans and bandwidth was provided through rotating free AOL dialup discs.

Supposedly, they were driven to tears by the immense value that BuyVM's plans have, and each time they stopped crying, a round of equipment upgrades (SSD caching, pure SSD, Stallion upgrades, etc.) went out to force them to cry more.

Care to comment, @Francisco?

edited January 2014

gutshotz said: I haven't had a chance to read all the posts on this thread but, after reading the first post, I sure hope that @ja351 and @CVPS_Chris have factual evidence to back up the claim that BuyVM stole source code and used the stolen code in one of their products. Accusing someone of theft in a public forum is very serious, especially when said accusation would definitely have a detrimental effect on the accused's business reputation and its income. Of course it is up to Francisco, but many corporations have gone to court for much less.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to do business with BuyVM again, as I have nothing but positive things to say about my dealing with them and the performance of their offerings.

Maybe Francisco should request a title change, as this teenager did in a thread that had his company name in a title:

Just a thought. I believe @mpkossen changed the title for him too.

EDIT: Keep in mind that thread had info on GVH that the kid deemed was 'libel', and upon his request the moderators removed content regarding him and changed the name of the thread to reflect differently.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ihatetonyy said:
    Care to comment, Francisco?

I ask that you please remove our trade secrets from your post immediately.

Francisco

• draaaamaaa

is buyvm still aldyric? i do not like that guy

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2014

CVPS_Chris said: Jarland, I lived here all my life and Batavia is basically farm country.

Doesn't matter, if you have enough money companies will build out to even the most remote places. When I worked in Lost Creek, WV frontier built fiber out to us for our video streaming needs. We pay a good chunk of change monthly, and the build out fee was a decent amount of money, but they provided the service. So until you have access to Verizon Fios Build Out Orders you really don't have a leg to stand on with the claim of they don't have Verizon Fios. I am pretty sure you can't get more country than Lost Creek, WV. Hell in WV you have mountains to deal with. Best service still to this date to consumers and other businesses is 3MB down and 1MB up.

• I don't think Aldryic has graced us with his presence here yet.

ryanarp said: Doesn't matter, if you have enough money companies will build out to even the most remote places.

There is no money in Batavia unless they were able to barter crops for internet.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

CVPS_Chris said: There is no money in Batavia

Makes sense as to why they would take the money to build out there then :) Any money is good money when your city doesn't have money.

• Verrek zeg! Voor de oorlog, I live in Batavia, Nederlandsch Indie.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • texteditortexteditor Member
    edited January 2014

@CVPS_Chris said:
    Jupiter, please keep this on topic. What Fran has done is much worse than anything I have ever been accused of doing ( and for the record 99% of what was ever said was false and started by Fran ).

You are a habitual liar and probably the < sweetest puppy > alive, FYI

MOD EDIT: Second warning sent...

@texteditor, non of those things are true, but believe what you want :)

• I just read what I am assuming @CVPS_Chris is basing his theft accusation on, and what he is probably thinking is "proof" - the correspondence between him and Solus. I also noticed his post mentioning his company (or maybe the company he works for?) has over 25,000 clients, something BuyVM should really take into account when considering litigation :D

Regarding the correspondence @CVPS_Chris posted, I would just like to point out to him that in no way does that constitute evidence of a theft carried out by BuyVM. AT MOST, it shows that Solus (a registered business with proper legal counsel) has been made aware that a product, with similarities to SolusVM, has been published and they are consulting with their lawyers to determine if any further action is warranted. That's all, no determination of any wrong doing, and definitely no evidence of a theft.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @gutshotz said:
    his company (or maybe the company he works for?) has over 25,000 clients, something BuyVM should really take into account when considering litigation :D

lol, yes CVPS_Chris has 25,000 clients, yet can't drum up enough points to even place in top 10 in the provider poll on a website his parent company owns. So either ChicagoVPS is exceptionally terrible or Chris is lying about the numbers, or both combined.

• @Jack said:
    He left before you even took over, I wouldn't get overly cocky about it Alex.

wut

This discussion has been closed.