Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

xTom GmbH CTO treats me badly for reporting a problem with the xTom network in Frankfurt, Germany - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

xTom GmbH CTO treats me badly for reporting a problem with the xTom network in Frankfurt, Germany

Comments

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

Anything to add @xTom ?

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 23

@VittG said: But, I can also see that since approx. 2 hours ago, they blackholed one of my IPv4's and IPv6 /64

I have just confirmed with our networking team that there has been no search or blackholing of your IPs. Since you are not our direct customer, I suggest contacting your provider for more information.

@VittG said: Well, I have been contacted by David G. and he seems to have taken the matter seriously.

@VittG said: After the kind mail from David G., I received nothing else in writing from them, not even a read receipt for my reply.

Because we have been actively addressing and resolving routing issues since yesterday, we are committed to resolving all outstanding issues.

• Looking around their network configuration, I already concluded from that, that this person behind it must me a special amateurish person. > @VittG said:

Ah, the magic of public forums... I've just been un-blackholed 11 minutes ago :)

Time to backup your data and move from this shitshow host

• VittGVittG Member
    edited March 23

@xTom said: I have just confirmed with our networking team that there has been no search or blackholing of your IPs. Since you are not our direct customer, I suggest contacting your provider for more information.

Today, after the blackholing, I also tested with the public IPs of your looking glasses in those locations, and I was completely blackholed, even your border routers were not replying anymore to me in the mtr :)

I also tested all of the other looking glasses you have all over the world, and I was not blackholed there. Just in the five locations I listed above.

Anyway, now I'm not blackholed anymore! :wink:

@xTom said: Because we have been actively addressing and resolving routing issues since yesterday, we are committed to resolving all outstanding issues.

I do not see any more outstanding technical issues for now, thank you! :blush:

Thanked by 3sillycat iKeyZ Kris
  • LeviLevi Member

@xTom said:

@VittG said: But, I can also see that since approx. 2 hours ago, they blackholed one of my IPv4's and IPv6 /64

I have just confirmed with our networking team that there has been no search or blackholing of your IPs. Since you are not our direct customer, I suggest contacting your provider for more information.

@VittG said: Well, I have been contacted by David G. and he seems to have taken the matter seriously.

@VittG said: After the kind mail from David G., I received nothing else in writing from them, not even a read receipt for my reply.

Because we have been actively addressing and resolving routing issues since yesterday, we are committed to resolving all outstanding issues.

Any comments about your employee communication with people who help identify problems with your services? At no cost.

• emghemgh Member

Are these guys related to Path?

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • tentortentor Member, Host Rep

@emgh said:
    Are these guys related to Path?

They didn't DDoSed OP yet.

• KrisKris Member

@emgh said: Are these guys related to Path?

Path may have some staff with questionable pasts, but ngl that's often the best type of person for that this type of work....

This is apparently someone partner level being a complete d-bag to someone who politely tried helping, with a side of nazi? Wat?

Apples to oranges tbh, not comparable.

Thanked by 2loay kenwong
  • @Not_Oles said:
    @loay (for Thanking @vpsgay's post)

Jesus dude, isn't that overreaching just a tad?

• wotetiwoteti Member
    edited March 24

@VittG said:
    Ah, the magic of public forums... I've just been un-blackholed 11 minutes ago :)

Someone who stoops to that level might try to find another opportunity to do you dirty to show you who's king. Unfortunately, kings don't make reliable system administrator.

If you've got anything important tied to that infrastructure, time to slowly do what you gotta do.

Thanked by 2VittG spambait
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@dahartigan said:

@Not_Oles said:

Maybe not. Thanking someone for doing what the rules describe as Bannable / "kill -9" Behavior might not be super great.

Also, please consider that Moderators Are People Too.

Nobody is perfect. Maybe, according to the rules, both @vpsgay and @loay should have been banned? Maybe not banning both of them was overreaching just a tad? Well, my excuse is that I try to be nice to everyone.

Awhile back I seem to remember commenting about one of your affiliate links being posted by someone without disclosure that the link was an affiliate link. Since then, I've noticed that you occasionally comment criticizing my moderation, about which I do try to take it easy. May I please suggest that you take it a little easier too?

• VittGVittG Member

@xTom said: I have just confirmed with our networking team that there has been no search or blackholing of your IPs.

@xTom said: we are committed to resolving all outstanding issues

In order to further help you in your quest about resolving all outstanding issues, and for completeness' sake, let me say that according to my webserver logs, the IPv6 whose reverse PTR corresponds to "office.xtom.nl." has used Chrome on Win10 to visit my website at 17:47:24 +0100 and my contact page at 17:47:31 +0100. Whoever has been, they didn't write anything to me. Shortly thereafter, I got blackholed at around 17:53 (sorry if I don't have a more accurate timestamp for that unpleasant event).

So probably, as a relatively positive note towards you, I can now say that it might be improbable that you actually sniffed your whole datacenter traffic in order to find my IPs.

Instead, it could probably have been just a coincidence, due to the fact that I was running the mtr from the same server that is also hosting my website.

:blush:

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited March 24

@Not_Oles said:

@dahartigan said:

@Not_Oles said:

Maybe not. Thanking someone for doing what the rules describe as Bannable / "kill -9" Behavior might not be super great.

Also, please consider that Moderators Are People Too.

Nobody is perfect. Maybe, according to the rules, both @vpsgay and @loay should have been banned? Maybe not banning both of them was overreaching just a tad? Well, my excuse is that I try to be nice to everyone.

I think you're reading too far into what "thanking" is on these forums. For the record, there have been times where I've accidentally thanked a post - it can happen with clumsy thumbs and requires no confirmation.

I do, however, agree with your choice to call out the person who made the comment, just not the people that thanked the comment too. That's where the "overreaching" came from in my comment to you - that you included anyone who "thanked" the comment.

Awhile back I seem to remember commenting about one of your affiliate links being posted by someone without disclosure that the link was an affiliate link. Since then, I've noticed that you occasionally comment criticizing my moderation, about which I do try to take it easy. May I please suggest that you take it a little easier too?

Another member (not me) completely unrelated to me happened to post one of my aff links without knowing it was an aff link, and you called them out for it. How is this anything to do with me?

If you've noticed that I will "occasionally comment criticizing your moderation" it's because I've felt that it needed to happen - take the feedback and improve your moderation style, don't ignore it and become combative like you are now. Anyway, I only occasionally call you out, what's the big deal? Calm down a bit.. sheesh.

• KrisKris Member

@VittG said: Instead, it could probably have been just a coincidence, due to the fact that I was running the mtr from the same server that is also hosting my website.

If bruh took that time to manage their Tokyo network, it wouldn't blip now and then.

It's the one server from GC VPS that blips here and then, as narced out by other instances, and ofc it's this ISP.

• GravelyGravely Member

@dahartigan said: I think you're reading too far into what "thanking" is on these forums. For the record, there have been times where I've accidentally thanked a post - it can happen with clumsy thumbs and requires no confirmation.

I do, however, agree with your choice to call out the person who made the comment, just the people that like the comment too. That's where the "overreaching" came from in my comment to you - that you included anyone who "thanked" the comment.

+1

• Sharing the "severe warning" I got for my behaviour on this thread, just so everyone else can also understand the rules and not make the same mistakes I did.

Warning about repeatedly spinning up drama about moderation decisions I make, this time to call out a racist comment and the thanking of that racist comment. Invoking Jesus, calling me "dude," and -- following my polite request that he please take it easy -- calling me "combative." We don't have to tolerate thanking what the rules call Bannable / kill -9 behavior! We don't need members continuing to criticze every moderation decision even after being politely asked to stop. Please see https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3931026/#Comment_3931026 and the discussion leading up to it.

Sorry, @Not_Oles for my actions.

• guys don't derail this drama thread :( This is one of the best ones in recent memory!

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited March 24

@dahartigan said:
    Sharing the "severe warning" I got for my behaviour on this thread, just so everyone else can also understand the rules and not make the same mistakes I did.

Warning about repeatedly spinning up drama about moderation decisions I make, this time to call out a racist comment and the thanking of that racist comment. Invoking Jesus, calling me "dude," and -- following my polite request that he please take it easy -- calling me "combative." We don't have to tolerate thanking what the rules call Bannable / kill -9 behavior! We don't need members continuing to criticze every moderation decision even after being politely asked to stop. Please see https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3931026/#Comment_3931026 and the discussion leading up to it.

@Not_Oles stop acting like that.

If you cannot take criticism at that level, you should not be a moderator. Using tools or rather threats like those warnings is the wrong way to solve your issues you assume he has with you.

Pointing out that punishing a thanks on a questionable post seems like overreacting in moderating is exactly my thoughts as well.
    If you would do that in the more heated threads, you'd have a lot todo...

PS: I also checked @dahartigan comment history to find the "repeatedly spinning up drama about the moderation decisions" you do.. there is not much to find there. Is this a very old grudge you are holding here and just can't let go?

• LeviLevi Member

@dahartigan said:
    Sharing the "severe warning" I got for my behaviour on this thread, just so everyone else can also understand the rules and not make the same mistakes I did.

Wow! I summon @DP @jbiloh to comment on such behavior. This is borderline power abuse for personal reasons. Why it is warnable or even banable offense to criticize moderators action?

I recall that @Arkas once was very touchy to critique, but he grown up. Hot emotions and rash decisions, once you have power over other community members, should be controlled way more.

That’s why periodic rotation among governing entities is much needed. To avoid fatique and corruption.

• @Not_Oles, I must admit, this situation feels rather personal.

Even in the initial instance of someone mentioning a "typical Chinese character," you were quite prompt to react, issuing warnings and such. I don't necessarily find fault with that approach. However, on the flip side, due to the lingering influence of past experiences, even reputable providers based in Romania encounter the stereotype of a "typical Romanian character," shaped by the legacy of cociu. Take, for example, host C; the individual appears amiable, runs a legitimate data center, and offers reasonable plans. Yet, I've noticed repeated Romanian-related criticisms directed towards them. Why is it that there seems to be no corresponding action from you in those cases, yet you become visibly perturbed when someone attributes issues to the Chinese?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@martin_hetz said:

@Not_Oles, I must admit, this situation feels rather personal.

Even in the initial instance of someone mentioning a "typical Chinese character," you were quite prompt to react, issuing warnings and such. I don't necessarily find fault with that approach. However, on the flip side, due to the lingering influence of past experiences, even reputable providers based in Romania encounter the stereotype of a "typical Romanian character," shaped by the legacy of cociu. Take, for example, host C; the individual appears amiable, runs a legitimate data center, and offers reasonable plans. Yet, I've noticed repeated Romanian-related criticisms directed towards them. Why is it that there seems to be no corresponding action from you in those cases, yet you become visibly perturbed when someone attributes issues to the Chinese?

Congrats on your first post

Is it a reasonable guess that you're an alt of someone here?

• @martin_hetz said:

@Not_Oles, I must admit, this situation feels rather personal.

Facts cannot be racist.

• jobayerjobayer Member

It appears that he is intolerant of anybody discovering issues with the system. because he desires to believe that he is the world's greatest technologist and that everything he is doing is flawless. anyone who discovers or attempts to discover any problem in his system is his enemy. He needs psychiatric treatment.

Thanked by 1Gravely
  • 🐷

• @kait said:

@BetaRacks said: I don't think he's Marek Ziółkowski from locix.
    Marek Ziółkowski though always uses nazi&nsfw pictures, but I think it's not malicious

I think the xTom Marek is the LocIX Marek...

• ScreenReaderScreenReader Member
    edited March 25

@Falzo said:

@dahartigan said:

@Not_Oles stop acting like that.

If you cannot take criticism at that level, you should not be a moderator. Using tools or rather threats like those warnings is the wrong way to solve your issues you assume he has with you.

Pointing out that punishing a thanks on a questionable post seems like overreacting in moderating is exactly my thoughts as well.
    If you would do that in the more heated threads, you'd have a lot todo...

PS: I also checked @dahartigan comment history to find the "repeatedly spinning up drama about the moderation decisions" you do.. there is not much to find there. Is this a very old grudge you are holding here and just can't let go?

well this is really tickle my spidey sense. awhile ago this mod also making funny comment. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3902130/#Comment_3902130

This kind of moderation and borderline power abuse is what kills many forum in the past. and I'm sure as hell I don't want this javanese sandal enthusiast forum ended with the same fate. just my 7$

• D3VSOFTD3VSOFT Member
    edited March 25

I feel like there is more to the story than what is being shared by OP.

• Wow. @xTom any other comments regarding the initial e-mail?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@dahartigan said:

@Not_Oles - as others have said - learn from @Arkas on this one. He's mellowed a lot on his moderation style to the benefit of both himself and the community.

If you spend your time worrying about minor things and issuing warnings for thanks on posts you will only burn yourself out and grow animosity from the people involved.

'thanks' on a post should probably never attract warnings or bans even if the post is abhorrent.

Just sit back, relax and try not to take it all too personally.

This discussion has been closed.