Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Humans Only, Please! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Humans Only, Please!

1246722

Comments

  • maybe Chess based captcha for every post comment sir @FAT32 ?

    Thanked by 2default Patriarch
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

    @ariq01 said:
    maybe Chess based captcha for every post comment sir @FAT32 ?

    Mampus :smiley:

  • Ok, in giveaway threads, let's ask user to pay 1 cent per post, which they need to top up their LET accounts in advance.

  • Can introduce new rules which discourages providers from creating activity based giveaways. Like once a thread hits a maximum number of comments in a given time span say 250 comments in a span of 24 hours, further comments do not bump the thread for the next 24 hours.

    That way it discourages a provider from creating activity based giveaway as too many comments can push the thread out from the home page, effectively penalizing the thread for being too "active".

    Thanked by 1chitree
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 21

    @jbiloh : Easier method... Why not just sink offer threads after 10 days. Selling rules allow providers to post an offer every 10 days, so this seems like a reasonable limit.

    Then providers can just post a new offer and their BF Deal from 2020 isn't being spammed by MJJs.

    And this is all funny, considering at one point my "Pointless Bump" offer, which actually had rules to prevent someone from doing everything discussed here was at one point sunk for not being "valuable content" or whatever.

  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

    @jbiloh said:
    Note to all:

    Machine based or scripted auto posting is not allowed on LowEndTalk by any member or provider.

    All activity, including posts, thread creation, PMs, etc, must be human in nature. No exceptions.

    Anyone abusing the platform with automated activity will be removed from the platform.

    All thread types are subject to this rule. No exceptions.

    We will be monitoring things closely for abuse.

    Please help keep LowEndTalk special.

    So, from what I understand @jbiloh is refering mostly to automated posting scripts, not really against AI-generated content, but using scripts to spam the forum.
    I could be wrong tho, and he may be willing to avoid skynet...

    Thanked by 1Patriarch
  • davidedavide Member
    edited January 21

    This is a proxy solution to the issue: the undesirable matter are users who mass-spam the forum in those 10-thousand-posts threads. Isn't this the actual problem? IMHO either codify this restriction as a lean, 10-words rule, or maintain leeway in issuing warnings case by case.

    No need to hang ourselves with red tape à-la EU style. "Over there" they even hold elections, holy fuck! The more rules there are the lesser everyone understands them, and it becomes more tedious to eventually amend them with consistency.

    KISS :*

    Thanked by 2loay fart
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited January 21

    @MannDude said: Easier method...

    Are you really understand reason why spamming is promoted by providers? To stay on the first page and on top of other providers. To be in your eye-sight.

    If 10 days spamming allowed, than the same spam thread is replaced with new one and cycle continues. Same provider is able to be on the first page again and again (p-daddy).

    Sinking should be imposed after 3 days. And new threads every 14 days. This would allow to refresh offers table, give a chance for other providers to be seen.

  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

    @Levi said:

    @MannDude said: Easier method...

    Are you really understand reason why spamming is promoted by providers? To stay on first page and on top. To be in your eye-sight. If 10 days spamming allowed, than the same spam thread is replaced with new one and cycle continues. Same provider is able to be on the first page again and again (p-daddy).

    Sinking should be imposed after 3 days. And new threads every 14 days. This would allow to refresh offers table, give a chance for other providers to be seen.

    Well sinking old threads needs to be done anyway. Providers can save their offer as a template and post it every 10 days per the current selling rules.

    I'm just tired of seeing dumb old offers from months ago being bumped by people who contribute absolutely zero value to the community.

    I agree that the spammy non-sensical trash comments like: "INVOICE #619371 DOUBLE BW PLZ" needs to stop as well.

    I'm still wiping the sleep out of my eyes so maybe my original post made it seem like I only supported sinking threads. It's both. Sink and don't allow providers to make such dumb offer threads.

  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

    Just two years ago, an offer thread I made got sunk to prevent it from being bumped to the top: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/176638/incognet-llc-netherlands-kvm-ryzen-nvme-big-bw-ipv6-snapshots-30-off-and-a-giveaway/p1

    Sure, our 'pointless bump' promo was in fact a protest over the nonsense providers wanted readers to do / say to bump their thread, but there was a time when just posting random dumb-shit in a thread at the provider's request was frowned upon.

  • @MannDude said:
    I agree that the spammy non-sensical trash comments like: "INVOICE #619371 DOUBLE BW PLZ" needs to stop as well.

    I feel like I said, years ago now, that practice is bad and needs to end. Much better to open a ticket with your LET username (or profile link to make it even easier on the provider). Better for the users and providers since no one will be missed thanks to tickets. Better for the community since it will allow meaningful discussion instead of it being abruptly ended from a whole page (or more) of "INVOICE 1234 DOUBLE EVERTYTHING PLS?" type crap popping up.

    It's a forum. There's gonna be random crap like trying to outdo each other with weird AI art that fits the vibe, e-peen measuring, etc. But outright encouraging things that do not spur conversation (constructive or otherwise) is why I keep going on LET hiatuses, honestly. I know I said so much on the Discord way back when (idk if it's even around, as it's been at least a couple years since I've been gone from it).

    Also, I don't know the rules for sinking/deleting provider threads, though, as I'm not a provider. I do know that one provider out there is still using their BF thread since the new one they opened this month got yeeted. So there's probably more improvements in general to make.

    Thanked by 2MannDude bikegremlin
  • A provider pays for the right to post offers here. This does not mean they won't try to find ways of staying on front page. The very purpose of that payment is to advertise, gain visibility, and gain customers.

    If actions will be taken now against this, it would be unfair, since bumping was allowed for 2 years or more for "the purple one", if I remember correctly. One should not get special treatment compared to others. If admin does not like this... well... that's consequences.

    In my opinion limitations can not be done on providers, because they have rights which they paid for. Limitations can only be done on users. Limitations can also be done on offer threads to close automatically after 1 week, but this would not allow for later benchmarks or later reviews of said offer. I don't think moderators are paid enough to brainstorm this mess (they are volunteers).

  • LeviLevi Member
    edited January 21

    @default said:
    A provider pays for the right to post offers here. This does not mean they won't try to find ways of staying on front page. The very purpose of that payment is to advertise, gain visibility, and gain customers.

    If actions will be taken now against this, it would be unfair, since bumping was allowed for 2 years or more for "the purple one", if I remember correctly. One should not get special treatment compared to others. If admin does not like this... well... that's consequences.

    In my opinion limitations can not be done on providers, because they have rights which they paid for. Limitations can only be done on users. Limitations can also be done on offer threads to close automatically after 1 week, but this would not allow for later benchmarks or later reviews of said offer. I don't think moderators are paid enough to brainstorm this mess (they are volunteers).

    What if purple daddy paid 2000€ or 10000€/year for a special treatment? We don't know what exact arangement he has with jb. But the money must be respected. If he paid for privilege - he use it.

    @jbiloh does Dustin paid you any extra for VIP treatment?

    Thanked by 1jenkki
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

    There’s functionally no difference between intentionally keeping a thread at the top and being able to post new offer threads with zero cooldown.

    There are ways to bump offer threads without being spammy. I’ll share mine: wait until the thread drops down a bit before replying to answer questions.

    Thanked by 2lewellyn yoursunny
  • @jar said:
    There’s functionally no difference between intentionally keeping a thread at the top and being able to post new offer threads with zero cooldown.

    There are ways to bump offer threads without being spammy. I’ll share mine: wait until the thread drops down a bit before replying to answer questions.

    I actually have noticed that I prefer providers who don't reply to every comment within seconds. My experience has been that if they're sitting on LET 24/7, with instant responses constantly, they're not running their business...

    That trait of yours is what ended up with me getting a Lifetime account with you a while back: I can be reasonably sure that "lifetime" isn't going to be 3-6 months.

    Thanked by 2jar fart
  • @lewellyn said: My experience has been that if they're sitting on LET 24/7, with instant responses constantly, they're not running their business...

    What if they are NOT one (wo)man business and that guy on LET only job is to handle marketing aka LET? So they bad according to your views? ^.-

    Thanked by 1Erisa
  • LeviLevi Member

    @JabJab said:

    @lewellyn said: My experience has been that if they're sitting on LET 24/7, with instant responses constantly, they're not running their business...

    What if they are NOT one (wo)man business and that guy on LET only job is to handle marketing aka LET? So they bad according to your views? ^.-

    There is no womans running low end hosting business.

  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

    @Levi said: What if purple daddy paid 2000€ or 10000€/year for a special treatment? We don't know what exact arangement he has with jb. But the money must be respected. If he paid for privilege - he use it.

    @jbiloh does Dustin paid you any extra for VIP treatment?

    RackNerd is a top 3 banner advertiser (as measured by USD paid monthly) at LowEndBox and LowEndTalk.

    The rules apply universally to all patron providers, however, regardless of advertising relationship or not.

    Clearly we need to make some tweaks to cut down on the massive amounts of posts from single users. We are actively discussing that amongst the mods/admins.

  • mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

    @Idling said:
    Maybe we can set a post limit for the average user, for example, 100 posts max per day, and for the privileged user there is no such restriction.

    Have seen those in many forums and it actually works along with following.

    MS said:
    "You've posted 5 comment is the last 15 minutes. Please wait 15 more minutes to be able to post again."

    Thanked by 2_MS_ Idling
  • emghemgh Member

    How about this:

    IF YOU WANT TO POST A GIVEAWAY, AND SAID GIVEAWAY IS ENTERED THROUGH POSTING, YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED TO HAVE PEOPLE ENTER ONCE

    Thanked by 1ahnlak
  • LeviLevi Member

    @emgh said:
    How about this:

    IF YOU WANT TO POST A GIVEAWAY, AND SAID GIVEAWAY IS ENTERED THROUGH POSTING, YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED TO HAVE PEOPLE ENTER ONCE

    Easily overcome by multi-account spam. There is huge number of sleeper accounts. Still not solving core problem.

  • There was a error while trying to return your cURL request (api.openai.com/v1/): No credits left available.

    Signature not found

    Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

    @Levi said:

    @emgh said:
    How about this:

    IF YOU WANT TO POST A GIVEAWAY, AND SAID GIVEAWAY IS ENTERED THROUGH POSTING, YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED TO HAVE PEOPLE ENTER ONCE

    Easily overcome by multi-account spam. There is huge number of sleeper accounts. Still not solving core problem.

    No, not easily.

    Much harder actually.

    It's all about effort.

    One new IP, preferably not with the same ISP over and over, verify email, preferably with a mainstream email provider, that often will require a phone number, botting this whole process, including the email creation and then waiting for account approval, and going back to the same proxy/VPN used when signing up after a while to automatically see if approved, then generate a unique and human enough message, only to now have gained ONE extra spot.

    VS.

    while true:
    post()

  • LeviLevi Member

    @emgh said:

    @Levi said:

    @emgh said:
    How about this:

    IF YOU WANT TO POST A GIVEAWAY, AND SAID GIVEAWAY IS ENTERED THROUGH POSTING, YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED TO HAVE PEOPLE ENTER ONCE

    Easily overcome by multi-account spam. There is huge number of sleeper accounts. Still not solving core problem.

    No, not easily.

    Much harder actually.

    It's all about effort.

    One new IP, preferably not with the same ISP over and over, verify email, preferably with a mainstream email provider, that often will require a phone number, botting this whole process, including the email creation and then waiting for account approval, and going back to the same proxy/VPN used when signing up after a while to automatically see if approved, then generate a unique and human enough message, only to now have gained ONE extra spot.

    VS.

    while true:
    post()

    Or maybe reCAPTCHA v3 would suffice? Of course there is captcha solving services but they are paid. And there is no better repelent than financial damage.

  • emghemgh Member

    @Levi said:

    @emgh said:

    @Levi said:

    @emgh said:
    How about this:

    IF YOU WANT TO POST A GIVEAWAY, AND SAID GIVEAWAY IS ENTERED THROUGH POSTING, YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED TO HAVE PEOPLE ENTER ONCE

    Easily overcome by multi-account spam. There is huge number of sleeper accounts. Still not solving core problem.

    No, not easily.

    Much harder actually.

    It's all about effort.

    One new IP, preferably not with the same ISP over and over, verify email, preferably with a mainstream email provider, that often will require a phone number, botting this whole process, including the email creation and then waiting for account approval, and going back to the same proxy/VPN used when signing up after a while to automatically see if approved, then generate a unique and human enough message, only to now have gained ONE extra spot.

    VS.

    while true:
    post()

    Or maybe reCAPTCHA v3 would suffice? Of course there is captcha solving services but they are paid. And there is no better repelent than financial damage.

    Aren't the solving services like 1-3 bucks per 1K?

    Could probably be very worth it still.

    I'm questioning this whole thing of being allowed to enter unlimited times, simply by posting unlimited times. That whole scheme is rewarding the one who posts the most, and so no matter the rules, people will try to post the most.

    At the end of the day, if @FrankZ gets a week ban and a new Xbox, it's still worth it lmao..

  • emghemgh Member
    edited January 21

    Another funny observation:

    Look at https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/191501/real-deals-here-win-big-with-thousands-in-prizes-racknerds-new-year-offers-new-year-2024/p1123

    Notice how everyone ONLY reply to one comment per post

    GOTTA GET THOSE ENTRIES BABY!!

    Thanked by 1default
  • @emgh said:
    At the end of the day, if @FrankZ gets a week ban and a new Xbox, it's still worth it lmao..

    Thanked by 1emgh
  • ehabehab Member
    edited January 21

    when writing in Racky thread i only know my 2 balls.

    i have balls for everywhere/everyone except when @yoursunny does pushups. he's a nut cracker.

    that and also
    merry xmas @kashon

    @JabJab has been out of game since he stopped going to jim.

  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

    @emgh said:
    How about this:

    IF YOU WANT TO POST A GIVEAWAY, AND SAID GIVEAWAY IS ENTERED THROUGH POSTING, YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED TO HAVE PEOPLE ENTER ONCE

    The solution to spammy offer threads is quite simple, and @FrankZ knew precisely the solution. Providers and users must take full advantage of every opportunity to be equally annoying. Every provider thread should be a mess of useless comments that cause the database size to grow exponentially by the hour, and every user should contribute within the confines of the community rules.

    I’m usually not one to advocate for that kind of activity. It forces people to react to large-scale issues they weren’t facing and might not have faced for years to come. It also forces the creation of rules inorganically, and I find that to be a sign of trouble. But if you want results...

Sign In or Register to comment.