Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Humans Only, Please! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Humans Only, Please!

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I'll draft some new rules that'll hopefully help prevent (or at least tone down) these spam-like behaviors - regardless if you're human, bot or a cybernetic organism with living tissue over a metal endoskeleton.

• @jbiloh said:
    What makes LowEndTalk interesting and special is the human to human interaction.

Using bots/scripts to spam the platform is not welcome. Anyone with a bit of common sense should know this.

Bots! I thought the ban was on bobs.. phew!!

• @DP said:
    I'll draft some new rules that'll hopefully help prevent (or at least tone down) these spam-like behaviors - regardless if you're human, bot or a cybernetic organism with living tissue over a metal endoskeleton.

How long will that take? Will you share it with us here?

• edited January 21

@default said:
    create an automated system which limits posting to every few minutes

From what i understand posting is already limited to at most 5 posts per minute, which might be a bit much but to be honest if such a limitation was tried as an actual counter measure to automated posting it would still be mostly meaningless to automated posters when it's already heavily affecting ordinary humans for the longest time. Sadly i don't think that would be a promising approach.

• @jbiloh said:
    What makes LowEndTalk interesting and special is the human to human interaction.

Using bots/scripts to spam the platform is not welcome. Anyone with a bit of common sense should know this.

Yeah this not lowendbots this is lowendtalk

• MrEdMrEd Member

Well... As a different level spam...2k comments in total where the purple thread single person 12k comments :)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Why "humans only" instead of "bots forbidden"?
    Dogs have the right to be on the Internet just like humans.
    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

• @MrEd said:

Well... As a different level spam...2k comments in total where the purple thread single person 12k comments :)

Lmao.

• @MrEd said:

That's true as well.

• edited January 21

@yoursunny said:

No.

Very much like i hate when my cat tries fixing my code. He's not half as good of a programmer as he thinks he is. Dogs being even less able i don't want them here. Specicism ftw.

@totally_not_banned said: Very much like i hate when my cat tries fixing my code. He's not half as good of a programmer as he thinks he is. Dogs being even less able i don't want them here. Specicism ftw.

Well, this is what my cat does most of the time.

:smiley:

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@totally_not_banned said:

@yoursunny said:

No.

Very much like i hate when my cat tries fixing my code. He's not half as good of a programmer as he thinks he is. Dogs being even less able i don't want them here. Specicism ftw.

But, two very scary guard dogs are an essential component of a basement host.
    Since one of the dogs got sold, they went downhill fast.

• Perhaps there should also be a rule for threads that create a lot of spam, such as a maximum duration limit of 15 to 20 days ?

• There a lot of Human robots provoked by some providers with endless the same replies in awaiting for a miracle.

Like:

DOUBLE MY DISK
    I WANT FREE PSP4

How about this?

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @DP said:

@totally_not_banned said: Very much like i hate when my cat tries fixing my code. He's not half as good of a programmer as he thinks he is. Dogs being even less able i don't want them here. Specicism ftw.

Good boy(?)! To fair the code fixing mostly happens when i'm violating SLA. Table isn't much of a place of interest in general but he's smart enough to know that messing around there will force me to increase urgency on complaints leveled towards management of bowl contents.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited January 21

@DP said:

Good boy(?)! To fair the code fixing mostly happens when i'm violating SLA. Table isn't much of a place of interest in general but he's smart enough to know that messing around there will force me to increase urgency on complaints leveled towards management of bowl contents.

Robot ChatGPT powered spam detected, please ban.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Carlin0 said:
    Perhaps there should also be a rule for threads that create a lot of spam, such as a maximum duration limit of 15 to 20 days ?

We are considering this and plan to make a duration limit on giveaway threads.

Thanked by 1Carlin0
  • @yoursunny said:

@yoursunny said:

No.

But, two very scary guard dogs are an essential component of a basement host.
    Since one of the dogs got sold, they went downhill fast.

That's true. Never sell your DDoS sniffer, otherwise... Well, we know how that went.

edited January 21

@totally_not_banned said: Good boy(?)!

Yeah, boy, and he's a fluffy "senior".

12 (cat) years old, so that's like 65 for humans, and he weighs 8 kilos :smiley:

• @jbiloh said: We are considering this and plan to make a duration limit on giveaway threads.

If anyone is offering any rewards including physical rewards it would be nice to request a report. Or any of the results of the drawling.

• edited January 21

@DP said:

@totally_not_banned said: Good boy(?)!

Yeah, boy, and he's a fluffy "senior".

12 (cat) years old, so that's like 65 for humans, and he weighs 8 kilos :smiley:

Mine is probably about 14-15 now. One eye had to be removed due to a fighting injury and the other is badly damaged from a resulting infection (he's basically blind), teeth had some kind of exotic disease that caused them to disintegrate from the root outwards and had to all be removed to stop accompaning inflammation (interestingly cats don't seem to be bothered by this much at all in regards to industrial food - he's just always a bit confused when he tries to bite me and it just doesn't want to work) and he somehow managed to contract kitty flu. Still he's jumping around quite happily (navigating known areas or climbing stuff surprisingly works mostly flawless despite being blind - going outside is obviously no longer an option due the fact that he'd get lost). We make quite a good match (just don't ask how much i've payed in vet bills...) :D

Thanked by 1DP
  • How will duration limit help on spam? Providers will just move to 'points based system' for prizes and to get a big one you will need to spam on 3 threads rather than 1. Nothing will change

• zhizhi Member
    edited January 21

@DP said:

If a human posts 1k posts about proverbs or colors in a thread. Should he be banned too?

Giveaways are randomized based on limited responses, which is better than unlimited comparison of the number of posts.

The user with the most posts gets a super giveaway, the reason for 1k posts. Put some restrictions on this.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@JabJab said:
    How will duration limit help on spam? Providers will just move to 'points based system' for prizes and to get a big one you will need to spam on 3 threads rather than 1. Nothing will change

Other rule changes are also under consideration.

• Us robots are always getting discriminated against... just you wait!

• edited January 21

Ello guis! Nice meetin ya! No ban me, OK?

• raza19raza19 Veteran

@FAT32 said:

@Neoon said:
    jbiloh please play nice, the Mod's or Admin's didn't warn him or told him to stop.
    If he had been warned multiple times, surely but like this?

I do agree on warning would have been better, especially targeting a Veteran. Anyway we hope new policy will end this type of spam to win giveaway thread very soon.

I am all up for free speech but frankly over the years I have seen people trying to plug in their affiliate links via signature in every hole they can find. This apart from thread bumping takes meaning away from good discussions and usually derails threads. I think only providers & host reps shud be allowed links in their signatures. This wud immediately stop a lot of pointless comments.

• LeviLevi Member

Yea, some members the new rules will see as a direct challenge... Mods, admins, do not engage into discussion before rules are updated. There is some very dark and ominous lurkers in this forum which may feel trigerred.

• @raza19 said:

@FAT32 said:

@Neoon said:
    jbiloh please play nice, the Mod's or Admin's didn't warn him or told him to stop.
    If he had been warned multiple times, surely but like this?

I do agree on warning would have been better, especially targeting a Veteran. Anyway we hope new policy will end this type of spam to win giveaway thread very soon.

I am all up for free speech but frankly over the years I have seen people trying to plug in their affiliate links via signature in every hole they can find. This apart from thread bumping takes meaning away from good discussions and usually derails threads. I think only providers & host reps shud be allowed links in their signatures. This wud immediately stop a lot of pointless comments.

don't forget that one dude who always post their aff in every request thread, regardless their chicken is fit to the thread starter or not. forgot the name, but i recall the active members are calling them out on it too

Thanked by 2davide fart