Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How did this occur? Sydney VPS suddenly became United States, without any notification - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How did this occur? Sydney VPS suddenly became United States, without any notification

Comments

• @vpsric said:
    I don't understand, it's good thing for you or just bad? 🤔😁

Bad, of course.
    I purchased the VPS from them because of importance to being that location.

• WTF @virtono time for an explanation?

My "Montreal" box is now listed as "Cloud US-CA" am I the victim of fraud?

• @nulled said:
    WTF @virtono time for an explanation?

Canada has been annexed by the great USA. Welcome aboard!

Thanked by 2yoursunny dahartigan
  • @vpsric said:
    I don't understand, it's good thing for you or just bad? 🤔😁

It's very bad. Sydney is thousands of kilometres away from Los Angeles across the Pacific Ocean.

It's like the chicken farmer selling hens but giving you roosters and turkeys.

Thanked by 2Gravely 0xC7
  • Meh, maybe it is time to burn the Whitehouse again.

@Moopah said:

@nulled said:
    WTF @virtono time for an explanation?

Canada has been annexed by the great USA. Welcome aboard!

• Free-range chicken turned to chlorine-washed chicken?

• zGatozGato Member
    edited December 2023

IPInfo.io is also starting to catch all the changes already. Feel free to quickly lookup your IP to know the real location. They're usually quite accurate.

Thanked by 1loay
  • MoopahMoopah Member
    edited December 2023

@zGato said:

IPInfo.io is also starting to catch all the changes already. Feel free to quickly lookup your IP to know the real location. They're usually quite accurate.

That IP might not be from Romania, from my top quality Romanian basement VPS I get ping of 60-70ms which is too high.

Ping.pe shows closest hit is in Turkey at 16 m/s

• zGatozGato Member
    edited December 2023

@Moopah said:

@zGato said:

That IP might not be from Romania, from my top quality Romanian basement VPS I get ping of 60-70ms which is too high.

It is indeed in Romania. Tested from Hosteroid's small VM located in M247 RO.
    Also: https://check-host.net/check-report/140040b5k13a (8ms to Moldova)

• MoopahMoopah Member
    edited December 2023

@zGato said:

@Moopah said:

@zGato said:

It is indeed in Romania. Tested from Hosteroid's small VM located in M247 RO.

I blame @Calin for my results :wink:

Thanked by 1zGato
  • Well, @virtono you logged yesterday, most likely lurked around. What's going on?

• @zGato said:
    Well, @virtono you logged yesterday, most likely lurked around. What's going on?

He has insider knowledge of U.S. plans for invasion of both Canada and Australia and preemptively changed the IP locations.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @Moopah said:

@zGato said:
    Well, @virtono you logged yesterday, most likely lurked around. What's going on?

He has insider knowledge of U.S. plans for invasion of both Canada and Australia and preemptively changed the IP locations.

Wow, Spain is also getting invaded? I'm here, should I be worried?

• @zGato said:

@Moopah said:

@zGato said:

Yes, you need to move now! The U.S. is restarting the Spanish-American war.

Thanked by 2zGato yoursunny
  • @Moopah said:

@zGato said:

@Moopah said:

@zGato said:

Yes, you need to move now! The U.S. is restarting the Spanish-American war.

I call dibs on Catalonia!

• zGatozGato Member
    edited December 2023

-

• @zGato said:
    Also, Madrid (Spain) is still selectable in the locations menu but located in France!

In 1635, France declared war on Spain.

• This topic reminded me of another one. So I did a quick check.
    80.97.44.2 (syd-au-ping.virtono.com) is AS9009 M247 Europe SRL.
    For a similar topic about m247 see is m247 faking their locations?

@virtono should have more info about what's going on. Writing Frankfurt instead of Limburg for example, not a big deal for most people, but Los Angeles instead of Sydney looks more fraudelent. Did anyone see anything about this location faking practice either on m247 or virtono website?

• @maxxxxx said:
    This topic reminded me of another one. So I did a quick check.

@virtono should have more info about what's going on. Writing Frankfurt instead of Limburg for example, not a big deal for most people, but Los Angeles instead of Sydney looks more fraudelent. Did anyone see anything about this location faking practice either on m247 or virtono website?

Geolocation, especially in the case of M247 generally doesn't matter for most use cases as customers expect the physical location (and therefore the routing) to match closely with the advertised location.

• @Moopah said:

@maxxxxx said:
    This topic reminded me of another one. So I did a quick check.

Geolocation, especially in the case of M247 generally doesn't matter for most use cases as customers expect the physical location (and therefore the routing) to match closely with the advertised location.

I can see a limited usefulness for VPN services. For some other use cases it does not matter much if the routing matches closely. But for many other use cases it matters a lot, it can have a huge impact because of legal jurisdiction or how nice would it be if backups or failover location end up at the same data center when they're suppose to be in a different country or continent. It can be debated forever. Nonetheless, clearly for some things it does matter and geofaking should be clearly advertised as such.

• @virtono how do you plead?

• Update: No reply till now, but my ticket's status has changed to "In progress".

Although @virtono has not come forward to explain,
    the conclusion is not important to me anymore.

I hope this post can give a reminder to those friends who still have business in virtono.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@i12h said: No reply till now, but my ticket's status has changed to "In progress".

Mine as well. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but I have a feeling that our services won't be moved back to their original locations

• chargeback yesterday

• Your VPS has won a free vacation to the United States, paid by Virtono. This is actually a promotional benefit

Thanked by 2sasslik thane
  • Any responsible organization would step forward and own their actions; the silence by @virtono speaks volumes.

Maybe they are not responding under advice of their lawyers though.

Hiding and hoping that this blows over also speaks volumes; will we ever see @virtono here again?

• @nulled said:
    Any responsible organization would step forward and own their actions; the silence by @virtono speaks volumes.

Maybe they are not responding under advice of their lawyers though.

Hiding and hoping that this blows over also speaks volumes; will we ever see @virtono here again?

Thanked by 1nulled
  • The IP address didn't change when it changed from Australia to the US?

• @josephf said:
    The IP address didn't change when it changed from Australia to the US?

Yeah, it sounds high-tech.
    So we speculate whether virtono has mastered some AI technology. :|