Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your favourite super cheap services that just work, like MXRoute for example? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are your favourite super cheap services that just work, like MXRoute for example?

1235»

Comments

• @Turbo_Pascal said:
    Please correct me. I understood encryption must be disabled at the origin in order to make Cloudflare work correctly and serve HTTPS to end users. One of my sites literally would not load (while served by Cloudflare) until I disabled encryption at the origin.

This hasn't been my experience. My origin uses only HTTPS to serve image content, which I'm caching via a subdomain handled by Cloudflare.

This even seems to be what one web host (RackNerd) suggests:

In this case, if your website is behind CloudFlare, CloudFlare will automatically handle SSL for your website and you do not need to use cPanel AutoSSL.

It's true that Cloudflare uses its own SSL certificate, but you may have one as well. I use a free Let's Encrypt cert for my origin.

Thanked by 2Turbo_Pascal sitss
  • Infomaniak for all of emails value for money and quality service + security.

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • That's an interesting company I hadn't heard of.

@vikiahm3d said: Infomaniak

Overshadowed by Proton?

• @vikiahm3d said:
    Infomaniak for all of emails value for money and quality service + security.

Using their email service. Fantastic. But for my clients, Im @jar fan!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Turbo_Pascal said:
    That's an interesting company I hadn't heard of.

Overshadowed by Proton?

Proton honestly seems less trustworthy + they do different things. Infomaniak is more of a Google replacement, where you can have email, video chat, storage, and a cloud platform hosted in Switzerland. Proton is one of those "muh privacy" providers (honeypots) that just does mail and storage. The ability to move basically 1:1 from Google and the like make Infomaniak a little better for business users within Europe.

Thanked by 20xC7 bermudi
  • Infomaniak's entry-level domain name mail hosting seems reasonably priced.

@fluffernutter said: Infomaniak is more of a Google replacement

• We use Cloudflare’s own SSL certificates which we also need to install on our servers. I think we paid some money to get custom/advanced certificates back in the day IIRC. Then we set the SSL mode to Full (Strict). This way all the connections are secure both ways. If the server doesn’t have the certificate files, the website won’t even load.

We even use Cloudflare as our registrar btw. We’ve gradually moved all our domains from their registrars to Cloudflare Registrar in the last few years.

• @Turbo_Pascal said:

Overshadowed by Proton?

I think Proton is using end to end encryption which is enabled in infomaniak by default. But both are in Swiss to under very strict data governance.

• @vikiahm3d said:

@Turbo_Pascal said:

Overshadowed by Proton?

I think Proton is using end to end encryption which is enabled in infomaniak by default. But both are in Swiss to under very strict data governance.

Not enabled *

• HostVDS provides hourly billed services that are very suitable for my needs (quick testing)

• I am new to this community. Should I keep asking about Cloudflare here or create a new thread?

The good news is that I am making progress! With some tweaking, I now have a working static web site with full (strict) encryption through Cloudflare.

@aj_potc said: It's true that Cloudflare uses its own SSL certificate, but you may have one as well. I use a free Let's Encrypt cert for my origin.

In order to make good use of Cloudflare cache, what difference does it make if the relevant A record is proxied or not?

Here's why I'm asking. In order to set full (strict) encryption, I first had to create a Let's Encrypt certificate at my host. But the host wouldn't do that until I disabled the proxy function at Cloudflare. Specifically, I disabled the proxy for the A record that points to the web host. When I didn't do that, the host read more than one A record and thus refused to install the certificate. Disabling proxy apparently condensed the number of A records to one and made everything work.

Is there some risk that if I enable proxy then my host will fail to renew the certificate in February?

• @Turbo_Pascal said:
    Is there some risk that if I enable proxy then my host will fail to renew the certificate in February?

Just keep SSL on Strict on Cloudflare and everything will be good.

• @Turbo_Pascal If you proxy with Cloudflare, this would work. Also, if you have additional questions, it would be better to start a new thread.
    https://i.imgur.com/Jz77oWU.png

Thanked by 1Turbo_Pascal
  • i use instawp.com for testing my own developed plugin in different settings and server. it's awesome for testing purposes.

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • @Turbo_Pascal said:
    I am new to this community. Should I keep asking about Cloudflare here or create a new thread?

The good news is that I am making progress! With some tweaking, I now have a working static web site with full (strict) encryption through Cloudflare.

@aj_potc said: It's true that Cloudflare uses its own SSL certificate, but you may have one as well. I use a free Let's Encrypt cert for my origin.

In order to make good use of Cloudflare cache, what difference does it make if the relevant A record is proxied or not?

Here's why I'm asking. In order to set full (strict) encryption, I first had to create a Let's Encrypt certificate at my host. But the host wouldn't do that until I disabled the proxy function at Cloudflare. Specifically, I disabled the proxy for the A record that points to the web host. When I didn't do that, the host read more than one A record and thus refused to install the certificate. Disabling proxy apparently condensed the number of A records to one and made everything work.

You can generate Server SSL from Cloudflare, then install it on your host. Then you do not need to worry about SSL anymore. It was 15 years validity!!.

Thanked by 1Turbo_Pascal
  • Yahoo Group (RIP) digest with more control :*

• BuyVM's block storage works nicely and I haven't found better pricing :smile:

• danninovdanninov Member
    edited November 2023

https://app.corelvector.com for quick, simple and free web based vector editing

• @cupcake said:
    Anonaddy. Now rebranded to addy.io.

Also windscribe vpn.

DuckDuckgo email protection & addy.io seems to be providing same service. While @duck.com is free.

• @sitepape said:

DuckDuckgo email protection & addy.io seems to be providing same service. While @duck.com is free.

Similar, not same. Can't use custom domain with ddg. With addy and simplelogin can use custom domain.

• @yusra said:
    I've used hostvds.com for throwaway, temporary VPS testing. Hourly billing that practically costed me less than 50 cents after three months of intermittent usage.

Do we need to pay for paused/shutdown instances with hostvds? I am looking for Cloud vps 10 to 30 numbers on need basic [for my training program, allocated to my students] some for few hours a day, for a week or month. Do they allow shutdown and reboot the instances while shutdowned instances are not charged for CPU/RAM, but only charged for volume/storage? Thank you for recommendation, I will check with them too.

• @nocloud said:

• Jellyfin in Docker. The close to perfect free media server.
    • Navidrome in Docker. Free Music / Audio media server.
    • Adguard Home.
    • Homeassistant. (not so perfect but the best there is and free)
    • TrueNAS scale. (almost perfect NAS Homeserver linux with plug and play Kubernetes )
    • MXroute (rock solid)
    • ST-Hosting (German efficiency and helpful)
    • iDrive (pay as you go - dirt cheap customisable and rock solid for small users)
    • Oracle Free tier (really can't complain for the price)
    • Debian 12 (say no more)

Thanks for bringing up Adguard name, I was not aware until this point. Can it block add on all browsers?, many sites don't render content if I use Adblocker for chrome or firefox, with Adguard home, can we find better remedy? I see they have good offer for lifetime about Indian rupee 2000 for upto 9 devices [family plan], but yet to understand pros and cons..

• tjntjn Member
    edited November 2023

@gks said:
    ... if I use Adblocker for chrome or firefox ...

Use https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock - it's great and free.

Thanked by 1gks
  • @gks said: Do we need to pay for paused/shutdown instances with hostvds?

They charge for paused/shutdown instances too (though negligible).

Thanked by 1gks
  • WickedWicked Member
    edited November 2023

VPN Unlimited lifetime package
    Filen.io (aff! +10GB extra) 200 GB storage lifetime

• Simplelogin being my newest one. Tried to selfhost it but dang various error that i don't have energy nor time to troubleshoot.