Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If your VPS provider is cheating you, what will you do? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If your VPS provider is cheating you, what will you do?

Comments

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited June 2023

@jlet88 said: DIT: Clarification: $50 got you not just double RAM, but 2 more cores, and almost double NVMe storage.

But discounted price would be $42 (2 x $21) not $50 :p

Again, you didn't do the math.

Look at their regular plans of Ashburn location:

4 Cores 8 GB DDR4 120 GB 12 TB @ 1000 Mbps 1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6 Included $17.99/mo

4 Cores 10 GB DDR4 150 GB 14 TB @ 1000 Mbps 1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6 Included $23.99/mo

5 Cores 12 GB DDR4 180 GB 16 TB @ 1000 Mbps 1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6 Included $27.49/mo

They offered him:
    6 Cores 16 GB DDR4 220 GB 16 TB @ 1000 Mbps 1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6 for $50.00/mo

How's this little upgrade worth of a double pricing? :)
    (don't get me wrong, I don't blame host of cheating or anything like that and their offer is their choice, I am commenting just numbers)

Thanked by 2hyperblast emgh
  • @Mumbly said:

@jlet88 said: DIT: Clarification: $50 got you not just double RAM, but 2 more cores, and almost double NVMe storage.

4 Cores 10 GB DDR4 150 GB 14 TB @ 1000 Mbps 1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6 Included $23.99/mo

5 Cores 12 GB DDR4 180 GB 16 TB @ 1000 Mbps 1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6 Included $27.49/mo

They offered him:

(don't get me wrong, I don't blame host of cheating or anything like that and their offer is their choice, I am commenting just numbers)

I have done the math and realize there is something strange!

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • @plumberg said:
    Of you just assumed that the promotions would apply to the upgrades.. that's unfair expectations

I didn't expect it all, i expact the price to be fair atleast for me, 45-46$ is acceptable without any my previous discounts. And host claimed that i used cheating word during talk with agent, so ask them to give screenshot of this word. I used ( Unfair, honest pricing ) word only. Host also claimed that i threatened that i will post this on Lowendtalk but i just said that i will post this on forum for people's thoughts about it. I never threatened them if they're not given me discount I will harm their reputation. Even i didn't mentioned their name anywhere. So who's playing victim card?

• @Vikasverma said:

Right now it all misunderstanding and communication and cultural barriers causing this.

None the less. I wish you the best to find an agreement with the provider or find a new provider that suits your needs.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • emghemgh Member

@Mumbly said:

They offered him:

The offered deal is much worse than their regular pricing for:

• @Mumbly said:

They offered him:

No i have different plan, it's unfair to compare with these plans as I'm not on these vps series.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Mumbly said:

They offered him:

ASH-KVM-8G
    Ashburn, USA Location
    4 AMD Ryzen 7950X CPU Core
    8GB DDR5 Memory
    120GB Gen4 NVMe Disk Space
    12TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network Uplink
    $22.49 USD
    Monthly
    0 Available
    ASH-KVM-10G
    Ashburn, USA Location
    10GB DDR5 Memory
    150GB Gen4 NVMe Disk Space
    14TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network Uplink
    $29.99 USD
    Monthly
    0 Available
    ASH-KVM-12G
    Ashburn, USA Location
    5 AMD Ryzen 7950X CPU Core
    12GB DDR5 Memory
    180GB Gen4 NVMe Disk Space
    16TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network Uplink
    $34.36 USD
    Monthly

• @Vikasverma said:

@Mumbly said:

They offered him:

ASH-KVM-8G
    Ashburn, USA Location
    8GB DDR5 Memory
    12TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network Uplink
    $22.49 USD
    Monthly
    0 Available
    ASH-KVM-10G
    Ashburn, USA Location
    10GB DDR5 Memory
    14TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network Uplink
    $29.99 USD
    Monthly
    0 Available
    ASH-KVM-12G
    Ashburn, USA Location
    12GB DDR5 Memory
    16TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network Uplink
    $34.36 USD
    Monthly

Do compare with these plans!

• jlet88jlet88 Member

@plumberg said:
    Victims always feel they are right, others are wrong.

Thr whole interaction in this thread is based on your title and accusation in initial stages and then kinda retracting it mid way...

The provider tried to come clean and you are still harnessing that the offer is unfair.

Sure you have to feed your family and want to maximize the buck, but so does the provider.

You have unfortunately come out as the villan here.. and for those reasons....

Maybe it's a cultural/ communication gap... you may think it's OK to berate a customer service representative as it may be common in your area, but others tend to see this threatening and rude.

Well said.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

@plumberg said:

@Vikasverma said:

Right now it all misunderstanding and communication and cultural barriers causing this.

None the less. I wish you the best to find an agreement with the provider or find a new provider that suits your needs.

Also well said.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

As for all the mathematicians who are looking at the offers on the provider's website, and using that as the baseline for "fair" compared to what the OP was offered with the "custom" offer, remember that:

1) We started with the word "cheating" as the premise of this thread.

2) Then, after the OP took some responsibility for using the word "cheating" (again, respect for taking some responsibility), the word "fairness" was more closely examined in this case.

3) The custom offer from the provider is a CUSTOM OFFER, not subject to any discounts, and is not normally offered... so for whatever reason, the provider chooses not to typically offer the specs that the OP wanted. That has to be factor in what "fairness" means.

4) The custom offer is NOT "cheating." It may not be a GREAT deal. And no one is saying it is a GREAT deal. But it's reasonable to say it is "fair" given the "custom" vs. "standard" deal pricing. If you don't think it's 100% "fair," that's ALSO reasonable to say, you are entitled to your opinion, of course. "Fairness" is largely subjective, I'm sure we can agree on that. But you still can't say it's "cheating."

5) The pricing of the "normal" or "standard" offers on the provider's page is a little odd here and there, but SO WHAT? (Going from 4-core/8GB to 4-core/10GB jump is a little inconsistent, but again, SO WHAT?) But it illustrates that the provider doesn't have a super consistent pricing policy. That's OKAY too, they don't have to have a mathematically PERFECT pricing policy. So the "custom" offer does NOT have to scale perfectly with the "normal" prices.

6) If the OP doesn't like the custom offer, he doesn't have to take it. Go with another provider. I've been saying that from my first post in this thread.

7) OR maybe the OP can just buy one of the "normal" or "standard" offers. Those deals look pretty generous IMO, assuming they are not oversold. I don't know the provider's reputation, but if you have a good experience with the provider already, TBH, those prices are pretty good for a Ryzen 5950. Go for it. What's the problem? Get two of them and ask for them to be on different nodes... that would be better than one "custom" one anyway.

8) This hand-wringing over a few dollars and throwing around accusations of "cheating" is not cool. The OP can just buy one or two of the damn hosting packages and call it a day.

9) With the OP's permission and the provider's permission, I personally would like to see the actual "berating" and "threatening" chat conversation that took place. It would be interesting to see how much of that is a cultural-communication gap, or if that is the OP being a jerk.

10) I agree with @plumberg about there probably being a cultural-communication gap going on, so my last point is that I sure am glad that I didn't go into the international lowend hosting business... it is HARD work dealing with this crowd sometimes, the things they focus on, the tiny little splitting of hairs. That's rough. I applaud the providers that have survived and grown, and I wish the best for all the small providers that are trying to carve out a piece of the market for themselves.

Cheers to all!

Thanked by 1emg
  • emghemgh Member
    edited June 2023

@jlet88 said: And no one is saying it is a GREAT deal

Actually yes, provider said it was the best there is:

@speedypage said: likely better than any other provider

Edit: But overall I agree

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

@emgh said:

@jlet88 said: And no one is saying it is a GREAT deal

Actually yes, provider said it was the best there is:

@speedypage said: likely better than any other provider

Good lord, it took less than 15 minutes.... I'll quote myself :D

@jlet88 said:
    .... it is HARD work dealing with this crowd sometimes, the things they focus on, the tiny little splitting of hairs. That's rough.

But kudos to you, @emgh, for reading my post. It's a slow Sunday for both of us I guess.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • JabJabJabJab Member

@Vikasverma said:

ASH-KVM-8G
    Ashburn, USA Location
    8GB DDR5 Memory
    12TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network Uplink
    $22.49 USD
    Monthly
    0 Available
    ASH-KVM-10G
    Ashburn, USA Location
    10GB DDR5 Memory
    14TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network Uplink
    $29.99 USD
    Monthly
    0 Available
    ASH-KVM-12G
    Ashburn, USA Location
    12GB DDR5 Memory
    16TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network Uplink
    $34.36 USD
    Monthly

I will.
    0 Available.

• emghemgh Member

@jlet88 said: But kudos to you, @emgh, for reading my post. It's a slow Sunday for both of us I guess.

Heh, yes!

Good points and I really do agree with basically all of them.

Catching an early train tomorrow and I really hate waking up early so I don't wanna go to bed.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

@emgh said:

@jlet88 said: But kudos to you, @emgh, for reading my post. It's a slow Sunday for both of us I guess.

Heh, yes!

Catching an early train tomorrow and I really hate waking up early so I don't wanna go to bed.

I hear ya. I'm sittin here burning some time. I'm doing a fresh OS install on a couple of computers and am stuck here waiting and waiting... :s But LET is a good distraction.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • divorce

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@heuristik said:
    divorce

Sue

• emghemgh Member

@jlet88 said:

@emgh said:

Heh, yes!

I hear ya. I'm sittin here burning some time. I'm doing a fresh OS install on a couple of computers and am stuck here waiting and waiting... :s But LET is a good distraction.

Cosy

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • somiksomik Member

@Vikasverma said:

Yep, @speedypage is definitely "cheating" you. You should cancel your current plan with them immediately and find a "better" host. Take a look at the offers posted on https://lowendbox.com/ for the deal you are looking for.

Also, @speedypage is not obligated to offer you a deal. You already have a deal. If you wish to customize it, they can charge you whatever they wish. That is how it is in the real world. If you don't like it, just move to a different provider that meets your needs.

If you are not willing to move to a different provider, you can either keep your current plan OR pay what they are asking to upgrade. No use bitching about it here.

Thanked by 1Vikasverma
  • BetaRacksBetaRacks Member
    edited June 2023

Perhaps provider should establish a joint blacklist instead of MaxMind
    This would prevent some users who really need it from being able to buy without being affected by MaxMind's ratings
    It would also keep out non-targeted users

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited June 2023

For $21 (promo) he get;

8GB DDR5 Memory
    16TB Bandwidth (4TB Free BW)
    1Gbps Network Uplink

Normal pricing would be $22.49.
    The real pricing (no promotion)

If we take a look closely. Increasing the core +1, RAM +2GB, Storage +30GB and BW 2-3TB could potentially increase the price by at least $3.13 (ASH-KVM-6G to ASH-KVM-8G) and $7.5 (ASH-KVM-2G to ASH-KVM-4G).

Even though there is a "weird plan" one, which is ASH-KVM-8G to ASH-KVM-10G, no additional CPU Core, just increased of RAM, Storage and BW, but you paid $7.5 more.

This is the custom $50 plan he will get from the provider;

6 AMD Ryzen 7950X CPU Core
    16GB DDR5 Memory
    220GB Gen4 NVMe Disk Space
    16TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network Uplink

From my humble opinion, if he asked kindly, knowing that it's the custom plan, he could get it with at least 45 USD. It's a FAIR PRICE.

• @febryanvaldo said:
    For $21 (promo) he get;

> 4 AMD Ryzen 7950X CPU Core
    > 8GB DDR5 Memory
    > 120GB Gen4 NVMe Disk Space
    > 16TB Bandwidth (4TB Free BW)
    > 1Gbps Network Uplink
    > 

Normal pricing would be $22.49.
    The real pricing (no promotion)

If we take a look closely. Increasing the core +1, RAM +2GB, Storage +30GB and BW 2-3TB could potentially increase the price by at least $3.13 (ASH-KVM-6G to ASH-KVM-8G) and $7.5 (ASH-KVM-2G to ASH-KVM-4G).

Even though there is a "weird plan" one, which is ASH-KVM-8G to ASH-KVM-10G, no additional CPU Core, just increased of RAM, Storage and BW, but you paid $7.5 more.

This is the custom $50 plan he will get from the provider;

> 6 AMD Ryzen 7950X CPU Core
    > 16GB DDR5 Memory
    > 220GB Gen4 NVMe Disk Space
    > 16TB Bandwidth
    > 1Gbps Network Uplink
    > 

From my humble opinion, if he asked kindly, knowing that it's the custom plan, he could get it with at least 43-45 USD. It's a FAIR PRICE.

This is what exactly i mean, but people defending host and claiming that I'm asking a unfair deal!

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited June 2023

@Vikasverma said: This is what exactly i mean, but people defending host and claiming that I'm asking a unfair deal!

ASH-KVM-12G priced at $34.36. With the custom plan you get, the price could increase at least $10.

• @febryanvaldo did the math.

• VikasvermaVikasverma Member
    edited June 2023

@DP said:

If your VPS provider is cheating you, what will you do?

Create a discussion on LowEndTalk.

Before making this comment, I want to clarify a few points:

1. I did not ask the host to activate my current offer with a custom deal.
    2. However, I accept that I used the word "cheating" instead of "unfair" in my post headline, and I apologize for that choice of word. It was a mistake on my part.

Now, my question is directed to @speedypage

1. You claimed that I used the word "cheating" in my comment. Can you please provide a screenshot of that word to the public?
    2. Is it considered rude to ask for a fair price?

Now, I have a question for those who accused me of playing the victim card:

1. Where did I mention the name of the host in my post? I simply wanted to know the general public's views regarding this incident. The host interjected and accused me of asking for an unfair price, even though I never mentioned it in my post. So, who is playing the victim card here?

Final note - My intention is not to harm the reputation of the host. I am simply asking for fair pricing. If the host successfully counters my point, I will apologize in a comment. Additionally, I need some time to find an alternative host. Therefore, I am willing to upgrade to a 12 GB RAM VPS as their default configuration and pricing. My VPS currently has active customers. I kindly request the host not to suspend my VPS until I have found another host.

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2023

We have little to add that has not already been stated.

The pricing you have received is the most competitive we can provide for this particular custom offer request. It is perfectly acceptable to request a price reduction, but once you've been told it's not possible, continuing to harass our live chat support staff with complaints that it's unfair, unacceptable, and that we're making excuses/have no valid point, and then threaten to post threads on LowEndTalk AND other forums, we have no real desire to entertain the conversation further.

Regarding pricing calculations, our 12GB RAM is priced at $34.36 USD, or $2.86 per gigabyte. $2.86 x 16 = $45.76. This does not add up to $50, but it is a custom offering and something we have to make extra effort to even fit on the platform (all of our 7950X plans are OOS). It also has a 10G network port over 1G. I do not believe the pricing to be unreasonable. It may not be unprofitable LET bargain bin, but it's certainly not overpriced.

BerryByte, a comparable provider in Ashburn that I am familiar with, also offers 7950X. I appreciate their products and the fact that they charge for quality. Comparatively, they offer identical hardware for $4.50 per gigabyte of RAM. We charge $2.86 per gigabyte of RAM. I believe that we are competitive in the US East 7950X VPS market.

We are not in the business of terminating customers solely based on negative feedback, so you are free to retain your current VPS at its current price if you desire. We will respect your decision to depart and wish you the best in the future.

If we can be of further assistance, please let me know.

• lc475lc475 Member
    edited June 2023

The price and resources are not always proportional even for large provider. Attached image is the regular instance pricing of Vultr.

If compares the $10 and $20 plan, only vCPU and RAM are double, bandwidth and storage just 50% increase.

If compares the $80 and $160 plan, only RAM and storage are double, vCPU just 2 more cores, bandwidth 20% increase.

If compares the $320 and $640 plan, more significant difference. Nothing is double. vCPU, RAM and bandwidth only 50% increase, storage 25% increase.

Every provider has their own business considerations. They are not decide the price randomly or having fun. May be they don't like the high bandwidth users, so don't double the bandwidth. One big instance may have higher risk or harder to manage, so they charge much more to cover the cost.

I don't think this is "unfair". You can reject the offer or choose another provider.

Thanked by 1speedypage
  • @speedypage said:
    We have little to add that has not already been stated.

The pricing you have received is the most competitive we can provide for this particular custom offer request. It is perfectly acceptable to request a price reduction, but once you've been told it's not possible, continuing to harass our live chat support staff with complaints that it's unfair, unacceptable, and that we're making excuses/have no valid point, and then threaten to post threads on LowEndTalk AND other forums, we have no real desire to entertain the conversation further.

Regarding pricing calculations, our 12GB RAM is priced at $34.36 USD, or $2.86 per gigabyte. $2.86 x 16 = $45.76. This does not add up to $50, but it is a custom offering and something we have to make extra effort to even fit on the platform (all of our 7950X plans are OOS). It also has a 10G network port over 1G. I do not believe the pricing to be unreasonable. It may not be unprofitable LET bargain bin, but it's certainly not overpriced.

BerryByte, a comparable provider in Ashburn that I am familiar with, also offers 7950X. I appreciate their products and the fact that they charge for quality. Comparatively, they offer identical hardware for $4.50 per gigabyte of RAM. We charge $2.86 per gigabyte of RAM. I believe that we are competitive in the US East 7950X VPS market.

We are not in the business of terminating customers solely based on negative feedback, so you are free to retain your current VPS at its current price if you desire. We will respect your decision to depart and wish you the best in the future.

If we can be of further assistance, please let me know.

If your agent had mentioned this during the live chat, perhaps there wouldn't have been such a big drama. But during the chat, your agent didn't mention anywhere that the uplink would also be upgraded from 1 Gbps to 10 Gbps. Not even you mentioned that the uplink would be upgraded when I created this post on the forum. If you had mentioned it, there wouldn't have been so much chaos.

• @lc475 said: The price and resources are not always proportional even for large provider.

Agreed. Moreover Speedypage use Ryzen 9 7950X, which the maximum memory support only 128GB.