Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

โ€บ If your VPS provider is cheating you, what will you do? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If your VPS provider is cheating you, what will you do?

Comments

• jlet88jlet88 Member

Cheating is a very strong word to use. If you don't like the deal offered, go to another provider. If future promotions are not as good as prior promotions and that bothers you, go to another provider. If a promotion expires and they won't offer the old deal and that bothers you, go to another provider. If they don't give you exactly what you want, when you want it, how you want it, with sprinkles on top, and you think you deserve everything handed to you exactly as you demand, please just go to another provider. See how that strategy works out in life.

And on the provider side, if you have a customer that treats your customer service poorly and threatens you because you won't give him the exact deal that he demands, just stay professional with him, be patient with him, and keep a record of the communication. If he keeps persisting and demanding, and is rude about it, just refer him to your TOS, politely give him a refund, wish him well in his journey of life, continue to be professional, and tell him to GO TO ANOTHER PROVIDER.

We are all humans here, we all just need to treat people fairly, with respect, and please use some common sense. No provider is obligated to give anyone the exact same deal X 2 on a promotional deal. Promotional deals are primarily for marketing purposes -- surprise, surprise -- for those that haven't figured that out. They are not to endlessly cut the provider's margins and lose money in perpetuity. The point of the promotion is that it will ultimately generate interest, more leads, optimize existing overstock, and hopefully one day, generate more revenue from loyal customers. That's how business is supposed to work.

Some people think that promotions cost a provider nothing, but in fact, those services are often being sold at cost or even BELOW cost sometimes, for the above-mentioned reasons. I wish people would respect that more often. I mean, what planet are we living on? It's a promotional deal.

Now if I want a promotional deal X 2 stacked, I'll ask politely. And if the provider is kind of cool, and we've got a good business relationship, he MIGHT give it to me, and I'll think, wow, this guy is kind of cool, I like this provider, and I'll be grateful. And probably buy more stuff from him in the future. That's a win-win. But if the provider doesn't give it to me at the promotional price, that's not a big deal, and I don't go start a thread and I certainly don't suggest the provider is CHEATING. That's not cool.

Thanked by 1anubhavhirani
  • MumblyMumbly Member

@Vikasverma said:

@Mumbly said:
    That's not cheating as you haven't been charged of that. It was just offer. More like take it or leave it situation.

$21
    8Gb Ram DDR5
    4Core Ryzen 7950x cpu
    120Gb NVMe gen 4 SSD
    16Tb bandwidth
    1000mb/s connection

$50
    16GB Ram DDR5
    6Core
    220Gb SSD
    16tb Bandwidth
    1000mb/s connection

On the other hand I understand that offer somewhat sucks as even for full price (without promotional 10% off discount) you get less resources for more than double price.

This is exactly what I wanted to ask people if it's not unfair? Shouldn't they have informed me during my first order that I would have to pay more than double the price for future upgrades for fewer resources? People are only defending the host and no one is listening to my point. Some people even called me crazy.

My guess is that they heavily oversell bandwidth with "16Tb bandwidth" offer even if you pay full price without 10% discount, and they simply can't afford it to double it even if you pay twice as much without discount as you actually use this bandwidth, that's why such offer.
    It is what it is. Host doesn't cheat you as they haven't charge you anything, just gave you the offer. That's their right the same as your right to decide to either accept or refuse this offer.
    I understand and that somewhat sucks, but it is what it is.

Thanked by 1Vikasverma
  • MumblyMumbly Member

@jlet88 said: If future promotions are not as good as prior promotions and that bothers you, go to another provider.

I don't think that offered $50 price include 10% off promotion. Do the math :P

• @Vikasverma said: This is exactly what I wanted to ask people if it's not unfair? Shouldn't they have informed me during my first order that I would have to pay more than double the price for future upgrades for fewer resources? People are only defending the host and no one is listening to my point. Some people even called me crazy.

>

I see what you mean I've had this with them as well, but you have to understand that the offer is only available to you with the first configuration you've chosen. And if you want to upgrade, you've automatically broken the very offer that the provider has reserved for you.
    The price change it depends on a lot of reasons, you can't assume that after 1-2 months the price will be the same.

• the fastest growing thread that is not a Black Friday dirt cheap offer with:

invoice#35241.

• @jlet88 said:
    Cheating is a very strong word to use. If you don't like the deal offered, go to another provider. If future promotions are not as good as prior promotions and that bothers you, go to another provider. If a promotion expires and they won't offer the old deal and that bothers you, go to another provider. If they don't give you exactly what you want, when you want it, how you want it, with sprinkles on top, and you think you deserve everything handed to you exactly as you demand, please just go to another provider. See how that strategy works out in life.

And on the provider side, if you have a customer that treats your customer service poorly and threatens you because you won't give him the exact deal that he demands, just stay professional with him, be patient with him, and keep a record of the communication. If he keeps persisting and demanding, and is rude about it, just refer him to your TOS, politely give him a refund, wish him well in his journey of life, continue to be professional, and tell him to GO TO ANOTHER PROVIDER.

We are all humans here, we all just need to treat people fairly, with respect, and please use some common sense. No provider is obligated to give anyone the exact same deal X 2 on a promotional deal. Promotional deals are primarily for marketing purposes -- surprise, surprise -- for those that haven't figured that out. They are not to endlessly cut the provider's margins and lose money in perpetuity. The point of the promotion is that it will ultimately generate interest, more leads, optimize existing overstock, and hopefully one day, generate more revenue from loyal customers. That's how business is supposed to work.

Some people think that promotions cost a provider nothing, but in fact, those services are often being sold at cost or even BELOW cost sometimes, for the above-mentioned reasons. I wish people would respect that more often. I mean, what planet are we living on? It's a promotional deal.

Now if I want a promotional deal X 2 stacked, I'll ask politely. And if the provider is kind of cool, and we've got a good business relationship, he MIGHT give it to me, and I'll think, wow, this guy is kind of cool, I like this provider, and I'll be grateful. And probably buy more stuff from him in the future. That's a win-win. But if the provider doesn't give it to me at the promotional price, that's not a big deal, and I don't go start a thread and I certainly don't suggest the provider is CHEATING. That's not cool.

I didn't ask them to keep my promotion active. I told them that the custom price they are offering me without the promotion is unfair. Please read all my comments. Thank you. ๐Ÿ™

• @mezoology said:
    the fastest growing thread that is not a Black Friday dirt cheap offer with:

invoice#35241.

๐Ÿ˜†

• seenuseenu Member

I understand you are pissed off with their pricing

but your wording especially "cheating" made many people side with provider than you.

if you asked nicely then it was a different thing

and i "assume", you didn't realize promotions many times brings customers but losses to providers

@Vikasverma said: I didn't ask them to keep my promotion active. I told them that the custom price they are offering me without the promotion is unfair

what seems unfair to you may be what costs them + few pennies of profit.

i saw many hosts with 1000s of clients being merged or going out of business because they are not making enough profits.

you might be pissed off but when you feel unfair, you can only request them to reduce amount or find another provider imo.

cheers!

• @vivucloud said:

@Vikasverma said: This is exactly what I wanted to ask people if it's not unfair? Shouldn't they have informed me during my first order that I would have to pay more than double the price for future upgrades for fewer resources? People are only defending the host and no one is listening to my point. Some people even called me crazy.

>

I see what you mean I've had this with them as well, but you have to understand that the offer is only available to you with the first configuration you've chosen. And if you want to upgrade, you've automatically broken the very offer that the provider has reserved for you.
    The price change it depends on a lot of reasons, you can't assume that after 1-2 months the price will be the same.

I'm not asking them to keep my promotion active. I'm just saying that the current offer they have listed should at least provide me with a custom deal at a fair pricing equivalent to those plans.

• emghemgh Member

To be fair to @Vikasverma he didn't mention @speedypage - they exposed themseleves.

Would he expose them if they themselve didn't? Maybe - but we'll never know.

For now, he didn't.

Thanked by 1anubhavhirani
  • @seenu said:
    I understand you are pissed off with their pricing

but your wording especially "cheating" made many people side with provider than you.

if you asked nicely then it was a different thing

and i "assume", you didn't realize promotions many times brings customers but losses to providers

@Vikasverma said: I didn't ask them to keep my promotion active. I told them that the custom price they are offering me without the promotion is unfair

what seems unfair to you may be what costs them + few pennies of profit.

i saw many hosts with 1000s of clients being merged or going out of business because they are not making enough profits.

you might be pissed off but when you feel unfair, you can only request them to reduce amount or find another provider imo.

cheers!

Thanks for your comment and I'm totally agree with it. I personally liked them much before this incident.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • @emgh said:
    To be fair to @Vikasverma he didn't mention @speedypage - they exposed themseleves.

Would he expose them if they themselve didn't? Maybe - but we'll never know.

For now, he didn't.

Even i didn't mentioned them in any of my comment.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • If you don't like their pricing, you can just purchase from the provider they buy their servers from (https://bloom.host)

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited June 2023

@Vikasverma said:

@jlet88 said:

I didn't ask them to keep my promotion active. I told them that the custom price they are offering me without the promotion is unfair. Please read all my comments. Thank you. ๐Ÿ™

I did read all your comments. And yes, you are, in effect, asking them to keep promotion-level pricing by extending extremely low pricing into your upgrade. Which the provider is not obligated to do. Yes, it would be very nice of them to do that, and kind of cool of them to do that. But they don't HAVE to do that, and it is NOT cheating if they don't do that. I hope that makes sense.

They delivered the deal that you originally signed up for. They don't need to double it later on if they don't want to, or maybe it's not possible for them for whatever reason, and maybe they're losing too much money. It was originally a promotion. But then if you don't like the new custom price they offered, you can try to respectfully and politely negotiate with them, but you don't need to be rude to them and threaten them (according to their response in this thread), and then start a thread here implying that they are cheating you.... your word, not mine. It's in the thread title. And ultimately, if you don't like their offered new deal, you can keep the old deal (which they didn't take away from you), or you can simply go to another provider.

And keep in mind that you can't pull back the strong language you started with and be taken seriously as the "reasonable" customer here who is merely questioning the "unfairness" of a provider. If your thread title were something like "Is it fair for a provider to charge a lot more money if I want to double my hosting specs that I bought from them on a prior promotion " -- that would be a better title and reflect what happened much better. Instead you implied "cheating" -- which is a huge accusation BTW -- and then carry on that you are a reasonable person with a reasonable point of view. You can see why some people might not take you very seriously with that approach, right?

I hope that makes sense. And again, I refer you to my sentence that we need to treat people with respect and common sense -- that means customers to providers too. Many hosting providers here are one-man shops or very small with fewer resources than you might imagine -- and they are trying to build a business from very little. They have to pay bills just like you. They run promotions to help build up the business. You can't expect these promotions to keep stacking months after the promotion ends. It's just not realistic. But in any case, if the provider is a decent and smart human being, he will try to make a good deal with you if the two of you can get along as respectful people in a healthy win-win business relationship. But using words like "cheating" (according to your own word choice) and being rude and threatening (according to him), is exactly how NOT to do business.

Wish you the best, man.

Thanked by 1emg
  • @jlet88 said:

@Vikasverma said:

@jlet88 said:

I did read all your comments. And yes, you are, in effect, asking them to keep promotion-level pricing by extending extremely low pricing into your upgrade. Which the provider is not obligated to do. Yes, it would be very nice of them to do that, and kind of cool of them to do that. But they don't HAVE to do that, and it is NOT cheating if they don't do that. I hope that makes sense.

They delivered the deal that you originally signed up for. They don't need to double it later on if they don't want to, or maybe it's not possible for them for whatever reason, and maybe they're losing too much money. It was originally a promotion. But then if you don't like the new custom price they offered, you can try to respectfully and politely negotiate with them, but you don't need to be rude to them and threaten them (according to their response in this thread), and then start a thread here implying that they are cheating you.... your word, not mine. It's in the thread title. And ultimately, if you don't like their offered new deal, you can keep the old deal (which they didn't take away from you), or you can simply go to another provider.

And keep in mind that you can't pull back the strong language you started with and be taken seriously as the "reasonable" customer here who is merely questioning the "unfairness" of a provider. If your thread title were something like "Is it fair for a provider to charge a lot more money if I want to double my hosting specs that I bought from them on a prior promotion " -- that would be a better title and reflect what happened much better. Instead you implied "cheating" -- which is a huge accusation BTW -- and then carry on that you are a reasonable person with a reasonable point of view. You can see why some people might not take you very seriously with that approach, right?

I hope that makes sense. And again, I refer you to my sentence that we need to treat people with respect and common sense -- that means customers to providers too. Many hosting providers here are one-man shops or very small with fewer resources than you might imagine -- and they are trying to build a business from very little. They have to pay bills just like you. They run promotions to help build up the business. You can't expect these promotions to keep stacking months after the promotion ends. It's just not realistic. But in any case, if the provider is a decent and smart human being, he will try to make a good deal with you if the two of you can get along as respectful people in a healthy win-win business relationship. But using words like "cheating" (according to your own word choice) and being rude and threatening (according to him), is exactly how NOT to do business.

Wish you the best, man.

Thanks for your explanation, and i admit that the cheating word might be my fault, but asking them fair pricing according to what they listed in their pricing page is how I'm rude to them. Now coming back to Lowendtalk post , If I wanted to defame them or scare them using the name of Lowendtalk, I could have simply mentioned their name in the post. I posted on Lowendtalk to understand people's point of view, not to scare anyone or harm someone's reputation.

• @Vikasverma said:

. I'm just saying that the current offer they have listed should at least provide me with a custom deal at a fair pricing equivalent to those plans.

Why should a company accept business at a loss?
    And if you are so concerned about upgrades, isn't it fair you should have planned and asked whether upgrades would be eligible at the same promotional pricing? Seems You expect the providers to read your mind...

Plus keeping a promotion recurring does only stick to your current offer unless otherwise specified...

You need to stop playing victim and own up to your miss of not being proactive on your side and getting your ducks in a row. If you feel it's unfair, then take that as a learning step for future ... find a new provider.. do your due diligence, and move your services.

This just smells being entitled... I am still not sure why the provider hasn't shut his doors on you for being so rude in the first place. ๐Ÿ˜’

On a different note.... another provider has recently posted a Storage vps thread... folks have already asked whether the provider will offer same promotional pricing in future for upgrades and the provider has responded...

• @plumberg said:

@Vikasverma said:

. I'm just saying that the current offer they have listed should at least provide me with a custom deal at a fair pricing equivalent to those plans.

And if you are so concerned about upgrades, isn't it fair you should have planned and asked whether upgrades would be eligible at the same promotional pricing? Seems You expect the providers to read your mind...

Plus keeping a promotion recurring does only stick to your current offer unless otherwise specified...

You need to stop playing victim and own up to your miss of not being proactive on your side and getting your ducks in a row. If you feel it's unfair, then take that as a learning step for future ... find a new provider.. do your due diligence, and move your services.

This just smells being entitled... I am still not sure why the provider hasn't shut his doors on you for being so rude in the first place. ๐Ÿ˜’

On a different note.... another provider has recently posted a Storage vps thread... folks have already asked whether the provider will offer same promotional pricing in future for upgrades and the provider has responded...

Read my all comments pls!!!

• @Vikasverma said:

@plumberg said:

@Vikasverma said:

you are choosin to not read any comments whatsoever...

• @plumberg said:

@Vikasverma said:

@plumberg said:

@Vikasverma said:

you are choosin to not read any comments whatsoever...

But you're also not choosin to make baised comments whatsoever...
    Anyways Thanks for your response ๐Ÿ™‚

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited June 2023

@Vikasverma said:

@jlet88 said:

@Vikasverma said:

@jlet88 said:

Wish you the best, man.

Thanks for your explanation, and i admit that the cheating word might be my fault, but asking them fair pricing according to what they listed in their pricing page is how I'm rude to them. Now coming back to Lowendtalk post , If I wanted to defame them or scare them using the name of Lowendtalk, I could have simply mentioned their name in the post. I posted on Lowendtalk to understand people's point of view, not to scare anyone or harm someone's reputation.

I respect that you take some responsibility for using the word "cheating" -- so if it's true that you were rude and threatening to them, the next great thing would honestly be an apology about that. But let's set that aside for a moment.

And let's say that if this thread is now about "fairness," then my answer would be YES, it's fair that they are charging you $50 (compared to $21) for doubling your RAM even though you get the same bandwidth... IMO, yes that is fair, considering the $21 was a promotional price, AND according to the provider, you already got an extra bandwidth bonus for FREE, AND the new plan would be considered a custom plan that they don't regularly offer, and they say their custom plans are not subject to discounts (which is common with many providers).

BTW, and then according to the provider, you then berated the support staff and said they were cheating you. Just a reminder.

But back to their custom offer. Honestly, that's a reasonable deal. And it is basically fair IMO, when you take into account the promotion and free bandwidth you already got. Now could the deal be even better? Maybe. If you had been polite to the customer service person, and negotiated a little more instead of berating them, you might have gotten a little more bandwidth too.

And all things considered, they definitely were NOT cheating you. And they did not take your original deal away from you. And if you really don't like the custom offer, you don't have to take it.

EDIT: Clarification: $50 got you not just double RAM, but 2 more cores, and almost double NVMe storage. Again, given that you ALREADY got a free bandwidth bonus, AND your prior deal was a promotion, AND you are asking for a custom plan they don't normally offer, I mean, be reasonable, man. That is fair. It is actually unreasonable of you to expect so much more. For heaven's sake.

Thanked by 1emg
  • @jlet88 said:

@Vikasverma said:

@jlet88 said:

@Vikasverma said:

@jlet88 said:

Wish you the best, man.

I respect that you take some responsibility for using the word "cheating" -- so if it's true that you were rude and threatening to them, the next great thing would honestly be an apology about that. But let's set that aside for a moment.

And let's say that if this thread is now about "fairness," then my answer would be YES, it's fair that they are charging you $50 (compared to $21) for doubling your RAM even though you get the same bandwidth... IMO, yes that is fair, considering the $21 was a promotional price, AND according to the provider, you already got an extra bandwidth bonus for FREE, AND the new plan would be considered a custom plan that they don't regularly offer, and they say their custom plans are not subject to discounts (which is common with many providers).

BTW, and then according to the provider, you then berated the support staff and said they were cheating you. Just a reminder.

But back to their custom offer. Honestly, that's a reasonable deal. And it is basically fair IMO, when you take into account the promotion and free bandwidth you already got. Now could the deal be even better? Maybe. If you had been polite to the customer service person, and negotiated a little more instead of berating them, you might have gotten a little more bandwidth too.

And all things considered, they definitely were NOT cheating you. And they did not take your original deal away from you. And if you really don't like the custom offer, you don't have to take it.

I didn't talked rudely at all, i just said the support agent that (atleast be be honest with your pricing) with neutral accent. And i ask him to explain atleast then another agent pooped up. That's it. I don't how it become rude for them.

• jlet88jlet88 Member

@Vikasverma said:

@jlet88 said:

@Vikasverma said:

@jlet88 said:

@Vikasverma said:

@jlet88 said:

Wish you the best, man.

I didn't talked rudely at all, i just said the support agent that (atleast be be honest with your pricing) with neutral accent. And i ask him to explain atleast then another agent pooped up. That's it. I don't how it become rude for them.

Go back and read what the provider said you did. If that's true, that's really not cool of you.

Also, I added a clarification to my prior post at the end. I'll repeat it here:

EDIT: Clarification: $50 got you not just double RAM, but 2 more cores, and almost double NVMe storage. Again, given that you ALREADY got a free bandwidth bonus, AND your prior deal was a promotion, AND you are asking for a custom plan they don't normally offer, I mean, be reasonable, man. That is fair. It is actually unreasonable of you to expect so much more. For heaven's sake.

• @jlet88 said:

@Vikasverma said:

@jlet88 said:

@Vikasverma said:

@jlet88 said:

Wish you the best, man.

They offer 16tb bandwidth In 35.46 plan also, so how it be fair? Again it's not for bandwidth at all it's all about unfair deal even without any discount applied.

• in summary, the deal sounds fair to some and seems unfair to others. what do you do now?

• Victims always feel they are right, others are wrong.

Thr whole interaction in this thread is based on your title and accusation in initial stages and then kinda retracting it mid way...

The provider tried to come clean and you are still harnessing that the offer is unfair.

Sure you have to feed your family and want to maximize the buck, but so does the provider.

You have unfortunately come out as the villan here.. and for those reasons....

Maybe it's a cultural/ communication gap... you may think it's OK to berate a customer service representative as it may be common in your area, but others tend to see this threatening and rude.

Thanked by 2Void jlet88
  • @hyperblast said:
    in summary, the deal sounds fair to some and seems unfair to others. what do you do now?

I will keep active current deal untill i found same hardware in same location! However 12gb plan seems fair for me.

• Again, it seems you are putting the provider at fault... when you did not do the due diligence and ask and get any clarifications for upgrades in future whether they come in terms of current promotion

• How much ever you talk, scale will tip on the other side

• Of you just assumed that the promotions would apply to the upgrades.. that's unfair expectations

• And after all of this, what did you get?
    Did you try finding out a new provider that can offer similar specs?

Maybe sometimes providing some fresh insights could also help the provider to reconsider their offer

Or as many people have echoed, either party is under no obligation to continue after the initial contract is over.../ changed.

I am sure you will find several other provided providing similar level of services...

Some may come at a cheaper rate but then will lack and cut corners somewhere

At this point you need to ask what is the opportunity cost to find a new provider or just accept this providers services as is