Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GreenCloud | KVM VPS with EPYC Gen2 & NVMe from $15/y | SG Pre-order - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GreenCloud | KVM VPS with EPYC Gen2 & NVMe from $15/y | SG Pre-order

Comments

• bdlbdl Member

@weir1 said:
    @NDTN
    I already have 2 server from you,
    I recently discovered Proxmox, Can I use proxmox with anyof your server, I want to use multiple OS'es like windows & linux, gui & CLI

Yes, install Debian 12 and follow instructions https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_install_proxmox_ve_on_debian

• will BudgetKVMUK-1 be restocked anytime soon?

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • @elofty said:
    will BudgetKVMUK-1 be restocked anytime soon?

Interested as well. Or any other EU budget KVM plan.

• I think it will be available again after all the UK pre-orders have been provisioned.

• @nick_ said:
    I think it will be available again after all the UK pre-orders have been provisioned.

fingers crossed, looking for something before the end of august

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

All UK pre-orders have been delivered. We are working on the SJC pre-orders, should be delivered early next week. Stocks will be updated soon.

Thanked by 3nick_ elofty hkhan03
  • bdlbdl Member

@NDTN said:
    All UK pre-orders have been delivered. We are working on the SJC pre-orders, should be delivered early next week. Stocks will be updated soon.

Received my UK one and it's great, thankyou @NDTN ! GeoIP is still pointing to Chicago, however - is it worth opening a ticket or just be patient wait for GeoIP info to propagate?

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited August 2023

I got it too, but ugh ... ARIN IP allocation for UK VPS. Updating small private geolocation services like maxmind, Ip2location etc... won't do much good here.
    My previous UK VPS had a proper RIPE IP.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • bdlbdl Member

@Mumbly said:
    I got it too, but ugh ... ARIN IP allocation for UK VPS. Updating small private geolocation services like maxmind, Ip2location etc... won't do much good here.

Exactly the situation I am also in

• @bdl said:

@Mumbly said:

Exactly the situation I am also in

Support responded quickly.
    They will update old ranges to new nodes in week or two. Then you can request switch to the IP from old range.
    This should solve issue as old nodes have proper RIPE (UK) allocation.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • @NDTN said:

Received mine yesterday. Thank you @NDTN . I would appreciate if you could fix the GEO IP Location (RIPE IP) from your end. Cheers

• Noticed the UK servers are restocked this morning. Ordered and I'm already up and running, great service!

Thanked by 1NDTN

@hkhan03 said:

@NDTN said:

Received mine yesterday. Thank you @NDTN . I would appreciate if you could fix the GEO IP Location (RIPE IP) from your end. Cheers

Request has been sent to Maxmind and IP2locations, WHOIS should be updated in a few weeks. We do not guarantee that the IPs there will be RIPE IPs.

• alsals Member

Just ordered BudgetKVMUK-1, tri-annually. No double promotion anymore? Also read about ongoing work on geolocation. My ip geolocates to US rather than UK. Do I need to open a ticket or just wait?

@als said:
    Just ordered BudgetKVMUK-1, tri-annually. No double promotion anymore? Also read about ongoing work on geolocation. My ip geolocates to US rather than UK. Do I need to open a ticket or just wait?

Double promotion is only valid for pre-orders. For WHOIS, please wait a few weeks for the database to be updated.

Thanked by 1als
  • @NDTN . I've read on the internet that gaming servers (such as Minecraft) aren't allowed in your vps services, is this true?

• sh97sh97 Member, Host Rep

@homelabber said:
    @NDTN . I've read on the internet that gaming servers (such as Minecraft) aren't allowed in your vps services, is this true?

Yes, it's also mentioned in their terms of service

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • @sh97 said:

@homelabber said:
    @NDTN . I've read on the internet that gaming servers (such as Minecraft) aren't allowed in your vps services, is this true?

Yes, it's also mentioned in their terms of service

Great, thank you!

• @homelabber said: Great, thank you!

To be honest there are two reasons most providers don't allow games: CPU usage and being a DDOS magnet.

If you want to run small, "private" server that not gonna burn 100% CPU for extended periods of time and won't bring any DDOS because idk - you selling shit and other kids are angry... they probably won't ever notice your running it :D

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • We are currently out of stock on this item so orders for it have been suspended until more stock is available. For further information, please contact us.

• bdlbdl Member

@dzungbb said:
    We are currently out of stock on this item so orders for it have been suspended until more stock is available. For further information, please contact us.

• @bdl said:

@dzungbb said:
    We are currently out of stock on this item so orders for it have been suspended until more stock is available. For further information, please contact us.

no longer available.

• @JabJab said:

@homelabber said: Great, thank you!

To be honest there are two reasons most providers don't allow games: CPU usage and being a DDOS magnet.

If you want to run small, "private" server that not gonna burn 100% CPU for extended periods of time and won't bring any DDOS because idk - you selling shit and other kids are angry... they probably won't ever notice your running it :D

I see, thanks for the response!

It would be a small private server for me and my friends to play like once week, so it probably wouldn't be noticed. But I'll still search for another provider that allows it.

• @NDTN said:
    Another pre-order offer for Budget plans in San Jose, CA with EPYC Rome and NVMe RAID-10. Double RAM + Bandwidth for triennial payments.
    https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/budget-kvm-sale/budgetkvmsjc-1
    https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/budget-kvm-sale/budgetkvmsjc-2
    https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/budget-kvm-sale/budgetkvmsjc-3

Hi, do you have any spare orders in San Jose?

• @NDTN said: We do not guarantee that the IPs there will be RIPE IPs.

That's very unfortunate and despite a decent price sadly deal breaker to me.

@NDTN said: For WHOIS, please wait a few weeks for the database to be updated.

What database? :D
    The only database which should be updated is RIPE whois database, but with ARIN subnet you can't update this one or am I wrong?
    All other tiny-mini commercial private databases like at LET glorified maxmind together don't reach even 1% of the internet.

We have data on 6,527 companies that use MaxMind. The companies using MaxMind are most often found in United States and in the Retail industry. MaxMind is most often used by companies with 1-10 employees and 1M-10M dollars in revenue.

• @Rockster said: That's very unfortunate

Support expressed willingness to replace current ARIN IP with old (proper RIPE-UK) IP when they update old ranges to new nodes in week or two.
    Lets wait and see what will happen.
    My old UK greencloud vps had a proper RIPE (UK) IP address.

• Why RIPE IP is sought after and better than ARIN?

• @alilet said:
    Why RIPE IP is sought after and better than ARIN?

It's not "better" in a term of quality but usability for a VPS located in RIPE region.
    I will quote my old post for better understanding.

@Mumbly said:
    Some local services work only with IPs allocated by local LIRs. If service in Belgium want to limit access only to Belgian people/area they will limit access to IPs allocated by Belgian LIRs.
    RIPE databases: https://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ripencc/2022/
    Example from RIPE database:

ripencc|IT|ipv4|2.58.208.0|1024|20190322|allocated
    ripencc|NL|ipv4|2.58.212.0|1024|20190322|allocated
    ripencc|PL|ipv4|2.58.216.0|1024|20190322|allocated
    ripencc|FI|ipv4|2.58.220.0|1024|20190322|allocated

(IT = Italy, NL = Netherlands, PL = Poland, FI = Finland...)

Small private geolocation services like maxmind, Ip2location etc... does not help you here. IP subnet needs to be allocated by RIPE directly to the Belgian LIR (ISP, hosting...).

They same way work some other services. As example I am from EU, but it took some time (years...) for Spotify to come to my country. In case I wanted to have access to the Spotify I needed to use IP from some other EU country which already had Spotify service available.
    Same goes with (sports, etc...) broadcasting rights limited to certain area.

Life would be much easier if everyone would use just those small private geolocation databases like maxmind, Ip2location... but in reality just small portion of the internet use them. All bigger players like Google, MS, etc... have their own databases and many other use just RIR (RIPE) databases.
    You can't really win here unless you use IP by local LIR (local ISP).

Thanked by 4alilet nick_ bdl cxg
  • @Mumbly said:

@alilet said:
    Why RIPE IP is sought after and better than ARIN?

It's not "better" in a term of quality but usability for a VPS located in RIPE region.
    I will quote my old post for better understanding.

@Mumbly said:
    Some local services work only with IPs allocated by local LIRs. If service in Belgium want to limit access only to Belgian people/area they will limit access to IPs allocated by Belgian LIRs.
    RIPE databases: https://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ripencc/2022/
    Example from RIPE database:

ripencc|IT|ipv4|2.58.208.0|1024|20190322|allocated
    ripencc|NL|ipv4|2.58.212.0|1024|20190322|allocated
    ripencc|PL|ipv4|2.58.216.0|1024|20190322|allocated
    ripencc|FI|ipv4|2.58.220.0|1024|20190322|allocated

(IT = Italy, NL = Netherlands, PL = Poland, FI = Finland...)

Small private geolocation services like maxmind, Ip2location etc... does not help you here. IP subnet needs to be allocated by RIPE directly to the Belgian LIR (ISP, hosting...).

They same way work some other services. As example I am from EU, but it took some time (years...) for Spotify to come to my country. In case I wanted to have access to the Spotify I needed to use IP from some other EU country which already had Spotify service available.
    Same goes with (sports, etc...) broadcasting rights limited to certain area.

Life would be much easier if everyone would use just those small private geolocation databases like maxmind, Ip2location... but in reality just small portion of the internet use them. All bigger players like Google, MS, etc... have their own databases and many other use just RIR (RIPE) databases.
    You can't really win here unless you use IP by local LIR (local ISP).

So, what I understand is that if my VPS is in Europe than I better have a RIPE IP instead of ARIN IP which in MaxMind database may be marked as European IP. But not many companies use MaxMind to detect IP location.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited August 2023

@alilet said: So, what I understand is that if my VPS is in Europe than I better have a RIPE IP instead of ARIN IP which in MaxMind database may be marked as European IP. But not many companies use MaxMind to detect IP location.

Something like that. MaxMind is not an "official" IP address allocation database, just one of many relatively small private companies and as such relatively insignificant compared to the rest of the internet. The same goes for Ip2location, IPinfo, KeyCDN, Ipregistry, Digital Element, ipstack, IPWHOIS ... and several others.
    They are fine for quick lookup, but most of the internet (especially services which require local presence) don't use that.

Of course, not everyone needs IP to match real location. If you use VPS for backups, some private project, etc... you won't even notice or care that most of the internet sees the location of your UK VPS as North American or something. But for a VPN or something ... It's on a case-by-case basis.

Thanked by 1nick_