Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2022 - Storage and NVMe deals - Page 23
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2022 - Storage and NVMe deals

Comments

• supplier issues, i heard through grapevine...come jan everyone might be getting a refund.

• Does Hosthatch have a network status page of any kind? IPv6 appears to be broken (looking glasses can't even ping/traceroute using v6, not just my server) but I want to check if it's a known issue before opening a ticket

• @MallocVoidstar said:
    Does Hosthatch have a network status page of any kind? IPv6 appears to be broken (looking glasses can't even ping/traceroute using v6, not just my server) but I want to check if it's a known issue before opening a ticket

Check here - https://status.hosthatch.com/ but don't know how accurate it is - Sydney had 1 hour outage last night but shows as 100% up

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • It looks like IPV6 is still not available for the Hong Kong storage servers. By the way, my Tokyo NVME server finally arrived on Tuesday, thank goodness.

• @hosthatch said:

@webcraft said:

@dosai said:
    @hosthatch will existing SG customers (August 2021) also be moved out of m247?

Is it all locations or just this?

For now, just the locations I mentioned in my post. Eventually we'll move all of them.

By "all of them" do you also mean Amsterdam, Los Angeles, and Chicago?

• Still looking for Amsterdam 2TB storage. Anyone want to transfer.

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited December 2022

@TimboJones said:

@hosthatch said:
    But if you honestly think we get pre-orders, and then use that money to order hardware, and then do all of the above within a week or two - then you have to also give some extra props to us, because you are making me feel like I should instead be working at NASA with the IQ you think I have.

Honestly, I think you have most if not all the hardware and use the BF weekend to get orders and then start shipping Monday to match those orders. I'm not arguing with you in general, that's just smart operations for proper allocations.

But you're buying barebones systems. I don't know about Dell in 2022, but years ago, an official HP System Integrator/supplier could have 100+ shipped the next day to us (less than HP sticker price). I would think Dell has similar. There's also times when a preconfigured system is stocked in quantity and sold on promotion and ships the following day.

Also, NASA isn't known to be fast, this is just logistics that doesn't require high IQ, just experience (which you have). What the difference to that timeline, is the NUMBER of servers and the limited amount of humans to process them. A few servers is an easy afternoon for one guy with a well automated setup. A hundred isn't.

To me, you didn't need to write that whole response, just say, "it's a lot more servers than you'd think" and leave it at that.

Not sure what rock you've been living under but there's been a major shortage of hardware during the pandemic.

• satoshiscavesatoshiscave Member
    edited December 2022

@TimboJones said:

@hosthatch said:
    But if you honestly think we get pre-orders, and then use that money to order hardware, and then do all of the above within a week or two - then you have to also give some extra props to us, because you are making me feel like I should instead be working at NASA with the IQ you think I have.

Honestly, I think you have most if not all the hardware and use the BF weekend to get orders and then start shipping Monday to match those orders. I'm not arguing with you in general, that's just smart operations for proper allocations.

But you're buying barebones systems. I don't know about Dell in 2022, but years ago, an official HP System Integrator/supplier could have 100+ shipped the next day to us (less than HP sticker price). I would think Dell has similar. There's also times when a preconfigured system is stocked in quantity and sold on promotion and ships the following day.

Also, NASA isn't known to be fast, this is just logistics that doesn't require high IQ, just experience (which you have). What the difference to that timeline, is the NUMBER of servers and the limited amount of humans to process them. A few servers is an easy afternoon for one guy with a well automated setup. A hundred isn't.

To me, you didn't need to write that whole response, just say, "it's a lot more servers than you'd think" and leave it at that.

The host hatch network engineer is probably too smart to work for NASA! He is a special man, heard some rumours and know a little about the background. :) He is the reason they can actually deliver these services at such a small price, he gets on the airplane when needed and shows up with hardware and just do it! not many guys like that can keep up.

Imagine yourself sitting on airplane after airplane flying around the globe in economy class, and especially during a pandemic. and then logistics at the same time, the shit needs to arrive also in time, anyone who worked with freight, customs and his grandmother knows this is a huge task that requires a small army to keep up, hustle and harass scumbags all day long to get shit done,

I think these guys do this because they are hooked on networking and the feeling when touching these systems, not for profit in the first place. its tech addicts and passion.

its old school guys from the day that do this only, the new generation not a chance.

got my Hongkong storage Delivered yesterday super happy for what 33.25 dollars a year, it is insane how cheap, it should cost way more than that.

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • @gowrann said:

@MallocVoidstar said:
    Does Hosthatch have a network status page of any kind? IPv6 appears to be broken (looking glasses can't even ping/traceroute using v6, not just my server) but I want to check if it's a known issue before opening a ticket

Check here - https://status.hosthatch.com/ but don't know how accurate it is - Sydney had 1 hour outage last night but shows as 100% up

Many places do not count downtime unless it affected the entire datacenter. If just your node or a few nodes on a bad switch occurred, that might not get counted. At least other providers do that.

• @tomle said:

@TimboJones said:

@hosthatch said:

Not sure what rock you've been living under but there's been a major shortage of hardware during the pandemic.

I don't buy datacenter stuff these days, but as a consumer, I haven't had that problem. But I do know global computer sales are down, so there's definitely some parts of the industry with overstock.

• @satoshiscave said:

@TimboJones said:

@hosthatch said:

The host hatch network engineer is probably too smart to work for NASA! He is a special man, heard some rumours and know a little about the background. :) He is the reason they can actually deliver these services at such a small price, he gets on the airplane when needed and shows up with hardware and just do it! not many guys like that can keep up.

Imagine yourself sitting on airplane after airplane flying around the globe in economy class, and especially during a pandemic. and then logistics at the same time, the shit needs to arrive also in time, anyone who worked with freight, customs and his grandmother knows this is a huge task that requires a small army to keep up, hustle and harass scumbags all day long to get shit done,

I think these guys do this because they are hooked on networking and the feeling when touching these systems, not for profit in the first place. its tech addicts and passion.

its old school guys from the day that do this only, the new generation not a chance.

got my Hongkong storage Delivered yesterday super happy for what 33.25 dollars a year, it is insane how cheap, it should cost way more than that.

Well, "do what you love" is the secret to happy career, but don't be naive to think that the workers feed their families and pay their bills with happy feelings of setting up VPS' for other people.

• satoshiscavesatoshiscave Member
    edited December 2022

@TimboJones said: Well, "do what you love" is the secret to happy career, but don't be naive to think that the workers feed their families and pay their bills with happy feelings of setting up VPS' for other people.

TimboJones, I like that comment bro a lot!

When you have enough of materialistic and money in your life something start to change, it becomes more important to be surrounded by people who you love to be around, do things that can give you that adrenaline kick and make you happy.

The millions or billions don't buy you real stuff or peoples

as a person who have come to achieve this in life multiple times I can easily sense when I come across another person like this, whatever it be in digital, real life or sensing a creation art of something.

calling bullshit is also a great way of removing out badness

all the best brother

• @hosthatch said: In Singapore, this is the only location where we really had major delays. We're also moving away from M247, but the new hardware got delayed in transit. I will write an email to everyone who ordered in SGP with a new ETA, but note that I already mentioned Singapore might get delayed in the OP.

WOW that was not hard to let people know what was going on. It's easy isn't it :wink:

• @socialzzz said:

@hosthatch said: In Singapore, this is the only location where we really had major delays. We're also moving away from M247, but the new hardware got delayed in transit. I will write an email to everyone who ordered in SGP with a new ETA, but note that I already mentioned Singapore might get delayed in the OP.

WOW that was not hard to let people know what was going on. It's easy isn't it :wink:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3569004/#Comment_3569004

• @TimboJones said:

@tomle said:

@TimboJones said:

@hosthatch said:

I don't buy datacenter stuff these days, but as a consumer, I haven't had that problem. But I do know global computer sales are down, so there's definitely some parts of the industry with overstock.

Try buying iPhone 14 Pro as a consumer then :p
    Shortage is still here sadly

All popular items are on backorders. Cameras, phones, laptops...

To this day theres zero affordable Ryzen 6xxx ultrabooks and mobile Ryzen 7xxx is about to come. Even big OEMs cant get CPUs to make laptops.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2022

@AXYZE said:

@TimboJones said:

@tomle said:

@TimboJones said:

@hosthatch said:

Try buying iPhone 14 Pro as a consumer then :p
    Shortage is still here sadly

All popular items are on backorders. Cameras, phones, laptops...

To this day theres zero affordable Ryzen 6xxx ultrabooks and mobile Ryzen 7xxx is about to come. Even big OEMs cant get CPUs to make laptops.

Not sure what country you live in, and I'm not an iPhone guy, but a quick look on Best Buy's site looked like I could walk into the store and get one activated on any of half a dozen providers. Ordering directly from Apple looks like 3 weeks delivery.

I'd be interested if any corporate purchasers here that buy company phones in quantity could say whether they get priority or not.

As for new laptops, there's a DDR5 premium that's hurting the price vs previous gens. I wasn't paying attention during BF, but it seemed like a price issue, not availability issue.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2022

@TimboJones said:
    Not sure what country you live in, and I'm not an iPhone guy, but a quick look on Best Buy's site looked like I could walk into the store

Where? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-iphone-14-pro-128gb-space-black-verizon/6487386.p?skuId=6487386
    "Should ship by Thu, Jan 5"
    SHOULD ship next month.

Not available to pickup now in single Best Buy across whole US from what I see.

I'd be interested if any corporate purchasers here that buy company phones in quantity could say whether they get priority or not.

Even Raspberry Pi Zero is out of stock, they cant get their CPUs in ancient 28nm node, its that bad...
    Only available Raspberry is Pico, built on 40nm (!), they needed to go with such old process to get any CPUs

As for new laptops, there's a DDR5 premium that's hurting the price vs previous gens. I wasn't paying attention during BF, but it seemed like a price issue, not availability issue.

There is just no stock and even no announcements of AMD ultrabooks https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDLaptops/comments/xacc1u/wheres_all_the_6800u_laptops/

But there are Intels with DDR5 available, mainly because Intel has own fabs so it doesnt need to deal with competitors using capacity (AMD uses same TSMC fab as Apple etc., both Apple and AMD have problems as you can see, there's shortage)

Server is more than just CPU as you know, many high quality components are needed for motherboard and they are very difficult to get.
    Cheapo things in old nodes are available, but nobody will put that to high quality server, only some laptops.

Even good WiFi chips are impossible to get, if you take a look at lower end of SBC's you'll see that everybody is changing Ethernet/WiFi chips in recent times

For example RockPi S had Realtek WiFi (so mid-end) and they needed to replace it couple of months ago because of shortage. New ancient random WiFi chip is ofc complete shit
    https://forum.radxa.com/t/allnet-europe-stop-supplying-radxa-zero-v1-5-reason-wifi-keeps-on-disconnecting-on-android/12208/2
    "To all AllnetEurope customers, we inform that from next week we will stop the import of Radxa Zero device with hardware revision > v1.5 with WiFi module “AW-CM256SM”"

Not only that but they needed to change CPU "Because of the supply chain challenge"
    https://wiki.radxa.com/RockpiS/hardware/revisions

New CPU is made in chinese SMIC fab, they are 10 years behind TSMC/Samsung, but at least they have some capacity so Rock Pi S is available

• @AXYZE said:

@TimboJones said:
    Not sure what country you live in, and I'm not an iPhone guy, but a quick look on Best Buy's site looked like I could walk into the store

Where? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-iphone-14-pro-128gb-space-black-verizon/6487386.p?skuId=6487386
    "Should ship by Thu, Jan 5"
    SHOULD ship next month.

Not available to pickup now in single Best Buy across whole US from what I see.

Even Raspberry Pi Zero is out of stock, they cant get their CPUs in ancient 28nm node, its that bad...
    Only available Raspberry is Pico, built on 40nm (!), they needed to go with such old process to get any CPUs

There is just no stock and even no announcements of AMD ultrabooks https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDLaptops/comments/xacc1u/wheres_all_the_6800u_laptops/

But there are Intels with DDR5 available, mainly because Intel has own fabs so it doesnt need to deal with competitors using capacity (AMD uses same TSMC fab as Apple etc., both Apple and AMD have problems as you can see, there's shortage)

Server is more than just CPU as you know, many high quality components are needed for motherboard and they are very difficult to get.
    Cheapo things in old nodes are available, but nobody will put that to high quality server, only some laptops.

Even good WiFi chips are impossible to get, if you take a look at lower end of SBC's you'll see that everybody is changing Ethernet/WiFi chips in recent times

For example RockPi S had Realtek WiFi (so mid-end) and they needed to replace it couple of months ago because of shortage. New ancient random WiFi chip is ofc complete shit
    https://forum.radxa.com/t/allnet-europe-stop-supplying-radxa-zero-v1-5-reason-wifi-keeps-on-disconnecting-on-android/12208/2
    "To all AllnetEurope customers, we inform that from next week we will stop the import of Radxa Zero device with hardware revision > v1.5 with WiFi module “AW-CM256SM”"

Not only that but they needed to change CPU "Because of the supply chain challenge"
    https://wiki.radxa.com/RockpiS/hardware/revisions

New CPU is made in chinese SMIC fab, they are 10 years behind TSMC/Samsung, but at least they have some capacity so Rock Pi S is available

Best Buy Canada. It says in stock, but it's behind an activation requirement, so it sounds like I can't get a phone outright, need to sign up with new activation plan. My phone provider also said 3 weeks ETA.

But also Apple has lots of recent issues because of Chinese labour, and the rpi CPU's have always been a red headed step child with bad manufacturing.

• Got 1 Compute and 1 storage VM in Amsterdam location delivered few days back. I was trying to setup VLAN as per this hosthatch doc, and cant get it to work.

here are the netplan yaml files that I created in both VM

network:
        ethernets:
            ens4:
                addresses:
                - 192.168.10.1/24
                match:
                    macaddress: 00:22:xx:xx:e1:51
        version: 2
        renderer: networkd

I've changed ip address to 192.168.10.2/24 in 2nd VM. still can ping any VM from another. Can anyone point to me to right direction?

• @nezam05 said:
    Got 1 Compute and 1 storage VM in Amsterdam location delivered few days back. I was trying to setup VLAN as per this hosthatch doc, and cant get it to work.

here are the netplan yaml files that I created in both VM

network:
        ethernets:
            ens4:
                addresses:
                - 192.168.10.1/24
                match:
                    macaddress: 00:22:xx:xx:e1:51
        version: 2
        renderer: networkd

I've changed ip address to 192.168.10.2/24 in 2nd VM. still can ping any VM from another. Can anyone point to me to right direction?

Show us the ifconfig output for both.

You also changed the mac and nic name to match the 2nd VM, right?

Run tcpdump on the nic and see if it's seeing ANYTHING.

Lastly, any firewalls?

And rebooted both VM's from the panel?

Thanked by 1nezam05
  • @TimboJones said: Show us the ifconfig output for both.

Lastly, any firewalls?

ifconfig of VM1

ens4: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
            inet 192.168.10.1  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.10.255
            inet6 fe80::222:9aff:fee5:e151  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
            ether 00:22:9a:e5:e1:51  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 9  bytes 670 (670.0 B)
            RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
            TX packets 1034  bytes 46312 (46.3 KB)
            TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
          --redacted--
            RX packets 5299384  bytes 114546997896 (114.5 GB)
            TX packets 4560229  bytes 79336114681 (79.3 GB)

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
            inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
            inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
            loop  txqueuelen 1000  (Local Loopback)
            RX packets 1751  bytes 183155 (183.1 KB)
            TX packets 1751  bytes 183155 (183.1 KB)

ifconfig of VM2

inet 192.168.10.2  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.10.255
            inet6 fe80::222:6cff:fefd:a9e  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
            ether 00:22:6c:fd:0a:9e  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 7  bytes 490 (490.0 B)
            TX packets 842  bytes 102012 (99.6 KiB)

--redacted--
            ether 00:20:16:f5:d5:85  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 18076  bytes 2086735 (1.9 MiB)
            TX packets 11096  bytes 1804729 (1.7 MiB)

RX packets 577  bytes 64300 (62.7 KiB)
            TX packets 577  bytes 64300 (62.7 KiB)

• no firewall
    • restarted from panel
    • nic and macnames are adjusted accordingly
    • tcpdump from both VM shows similar things
    tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v[v]... for full protocol decode
    listening on ens4, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), snapshot length 262144 bytes
    ^C
    0 packets captured
    0 packets received by filter
    0 packets dropped by kernel

• There were few people already asking why AMS private routing not working while following the docs so I would assume this is Hosthatch issue.

Anyone opened a ticket and got a response?

Thanked by 1nezam05
  • I opened a ticket the day before yesterday. It wasn't working for me either.

• @JabJab said:
    There were few people already asking why AMS private routing not working while following the docs so I would assume this is Hosthatch issue.

There was a thread on the other forum with people hitting this issue in Amsterdam. I’ve had a ticket in for just under 3 weeks now. Must be a widespread issue. I’m getting by with public networking so no biggie

• @KuYeHQ said:
    appealing offers
    1 CPU core
    2 TB storage
    1 GB RAM
    10 TB bandwidth
    $50 per year
    $110 per 3 years (doubled RAM and bandwidth for three year payments)

If I buy this package and use about 6t of traffic per month, it should be no problem, right?

Still more expensive than Polar Bear, while lower spec. 1 CPU core instead of 2, 1GB of RAM instead of 2...

• @darkimmortal said:

@JabJab said:
    There were few people already asking why AMS private routing not working while following the docs so I would assume this is Hosthatch issue.

There was a thread on the other forum with people hitting this issue in Amsterdam. I’ve had a ticket in for just under 3 weeks now. Must be a widespread issue. I’m getting by with public networking so no biggie

Seems that a lot more people have problems with setting up there private network in Amsterdam. Maybe HostHatch should make it a little more a priority to fix it? For now I'm also connecting using the public ip.

• @nezam05 said:

@TimboJones said: Show us the ifconfig output for both.

Lastly, any firewalls?

ifconfig of VM1

inet 192.168.10.1  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.10.255
            inet6 fe80::222:9aff:fee5:e151  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
            ether 00:22:9a:e5:e1:51  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 9  bytes 670 (670.0 B)
            TX packets 1034  bytes 46312 (46.3 KB)

--redacted--
            RX packets 5299384  bytes 114546997896 (114.5 GB)
            TX packets 4560229  bytes 79336114681 (79.3 GB)

RX packets 1751  bytes 183155 (183.1 KB)
            TX packets 1751  bytes 183155 (183.1 KB)

ifconfig of VM2

inet 192.168.10.2  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.10.255
            inet6 fe80::222:6cff:fefd:a9e  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
            ether 00:22:6c:fd:0a:9e  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 7  bytes 490 (490.0 B)
            TX packets 842  bytes 102012 (99.6 KiB)

--redacted--
            ether 00:20:16:f5:d5:85  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 18076  bytes 2086735 (1.9 MiB)
            TX packets 11096  bytes 1804729 (1.7 MiB)

RX packets 577  bytes 64300 (62.7 KiB)
            TX packets 577  bytes 64300 (62.7 KiB)

• no firewall
    • restarted from panel
    • nic and macnames are adjusted accordingly
    • tcpdump from both VM shows similar things
    tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v[v]... for full protocol decode
    listening on ens4, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), snapshot length 262144 bytes
    ^C
    0 packets captured
    0 packets received by filter
    0 packets dropped by kernel

Looks right, looks like problem is on HH side.

Thanked by 1nezam05
  • @SwordfishBE said:

@darkimmortal said:

@JabJab said:

Seems that a lot more people have problems with setting up there private network in Amsterdam. Maybe HostHatch should make it a little more a priority to fix it? For now I'm also connecting using the public ip.

promotional deals come with limited support.

• @cybertech said:

@SwordfishBE said:

@darkimmortal said:

@JabJab said:

Nah, I pay the dollah, the provider works for me and no one else

• @cybertech said:

This effects al customers wanting to use it, not just that bought the BF deal.
    I use my public ip to connect. I can wait some time.