Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2022 - Storage and NVMe deals - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2022 - Storage and NVMe deals

Comments

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited December 2022

@veren said: If you don't pay the premium price, you don't get the premium service. They literally state on the thread that the reason why it's cheap is because they will basically place all your tickets regarding the services on low priority.

Well, yes.

@the_doctor said: I've had problems, and no issues from HH fixing them. Does it take some days? Yes.

That's all what I said. It's affordable and when it work it's great, but that's NOT premium. I have services with them since 2013 when Abdullah was still humble which makes me most likely one of their oldest still active client there, but I realized after some years that I may be on my own with issue bases solely on their own side and that just sucks sometimes.

I don't even criticize them here, just correcting statement about "premium" service. Suff they are selling here is very affordable and that's cool, but not premium and that's a fact. They don't even deny that anymore.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited December 2022

@fazar said:
    hosthatch offers threads always full with dramas. but when all VMs was provisioned thread will sink slowly and all happy customers will going silence and renew their plans next year. 😄

@the_doctor said:

@fazar said:
    hosthatch offers threads always full with dramas. but when all VMs was provisioned thread will sink slowly and all happy customers will going silence and renew their plans next year. 😄

I still miss the great drama from 2020, when I first found HH. Sad we only have 19 pages, with very little drama in it this year - but the offerings were not quite the same, but amazing if you're in the niche looking for a power hungry or large storage server. :-)

Different story with virmach

When there still small ammount people that have problem occur to their vm or others and then complaining it, the happy customer did not believe that tell them many of their vm was fine and even bashing and harashing those people
    maybe to make some drama

Thats why their thread never sink

Always full of drama but telling the others that let has many drama as well

Thanked by 1fazar
  • @aj_potc said:

@Shot2 said:
    iSCSI maybe?

Is it possible for regular users, who don't have access to the hypervisor, to share a resource on one VM with another via iSCSI?

NFS, iSCSI, and NBD all work well. I've tested all three :smile:

• @Daniel15 said:

@aj_potc said:

@Shot2 said:
    iSCSI maybe?

Is it possible for regular users, who don't have access to the hypervisor, to share a resource on one VM with another via iSCSI?

+1 for NBD

• @Mumbly I get what you are saying. I personally never needed to contact their support except once with an ISO loading problem and I've got it fixed within a few hours (that was two years ago) and another billing issue that does take some time but when it comes to uptime and network they've been flawless for me and that's the part where I consider them being very reliable. I guess if you do need their support, they may be slower than others but at the same time they're way cheaper too.

Thanked by 2Mumbly nick_
  • @kalimov622 said:
    @Mumbly I get what you are saying. I personally never needed to contact their support except once with an ISO loading problem and I've got it fixed within a few hours (that was two years ago) and another billing issue that does take some time but when it comes to uptime and network they've been flawless for me and that's the part where I consider them being very reliable. I guess if you do need their support, they may be slower than others but at the same time they're way cheaper too.

It's reliable until it isn't, but at their pricing you can buy multiple VMs for failover. People expecting to run critical infra off of a single black friday sale VM are just delusional. I've had very minimal downtime with HH (one of their storage nodes blew up on me) but besides that I've seen better uptime than the projects I run in AWS, GCP, etc, and obviously those services cost much much more.

Thanked by 2nick_ bdl
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited December 2022

@fluffernutter said: People expecting to run critical infra off of a single black friday sale VM are just delusional.

I don't think that many here run critical infrastructure or need handholding, I surely don't, but sometimes things aren't in client's power to fix them and they depend on host to assure infrastructure and from then on... some long term hosts may surprise you badly once you actually need them to fix something on their own side.

• @balian2015 said:

@sleepcoroe said:
    anyone get HONG KONG NVMe VMs (AMD EPYC) already?

same question with SG AMD

me too, in foreseeable future.

• @hosthatch I am still interested in your storage vps from this offer. I was a hosthatch customer in 2013 or 14. If I order now can I still get double the ram and bandwidth with biannual or triennial?

• @raza19 said:
    @hosthatch I am still interested in your storage vps from this offer. I was a hosthatch customer in 2013 or 14. If I order now can I still get double the ram and bandwidth with biannual or triennial?

Yes, you can as stated in the OP. If you have an active service with them, you can also get a 5% discount with the coupon THANKYOU.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @TimboJones said:
    The problem is that the 1 week estimates (Chicago for me) are now coming into week two and no update. This is a very bad sign as an original ETA of 1 week would be 5-9 days and now it's 14 days without any update. So either very bad planning, or many unforseen issues came up and there's still no idea of when the new ETA is.

For me, I needed at least one server provisioned by tonight to put it in service before going on vacation. Now I'll just have to implement that solution elsewhere and not have any use for these HH any more for a while. Which means I'll buy elsewhere and end up cancelling existing HH services when they come up for renewal to make use of these servers when eventually get provisioned..

I took a gamble on their estimate, unfortunately, didn't work out for me. C'est la vie. But it means I won't ever count on them again.

careful they may just give you a refund lol

• @nick_ said:

@raza19 said:
    @hosthatch I am still interested in your storage vps from this offer. I was a hosthatch customer in 2013 or 14. If I order now can I still get double the ram and bandwidth with biannual or triennial?

Yes, you can as stated in the OP. If you have an active service with them, you can also get a 5% discount with the coupon THANKYOU.

This is why we can't have nice things.

@hosthatch said: Existing customers get a further 5% discount. Please use the code "THANKYOU" at check out.

• @skorous said:

@nick_ said:

@raza19 said:

@hosthatch said: Existing customers get a further 5% discount. Please use the code "THANKYOU" at check out.

My question was about doubling of Ram & bandwidth for multi-year payments

• @raza19 said:

@skorous said:

@nick_ said:

@raza19 said:

Sorry @raza19 , was talking about @nick_ telling you to use the THANKYOU coupon as a non-current customer.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • nick_nick_ Member
    edited December 2022

@skorous said:

@raza19 said:

@skorous said:

@nick_ said:

@raza19 said:

Sorry @raza19 , was talking about @nick_ telling you to use the THANKYOU coupon as a non-current customer.

What's wrong with that?

If you have an active service with them, you can also get a 5% discount with the coupon THANKYOU.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • I cannot recommend the storage promo. The bulk write was good enough but the bulk read is around 5MB/s in LA now. Retrieving back 300GB in 16 hours? :/

Thanked by 1raza19
  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited December 2022

My Amsterdam has been provisioned and i am very happy for the price 😄
    I ask to change to bianually billing cycle to get extra bandwith and space but they do not allow it, but it is okay still satisfying
    That is will exchange my LAX nvme promo from last year

Thanked by 2ariq01 nick_
  • @Daniel15 said:

It doesn't seem like NFS preserves permissions either, when a mount needs multiple users as owners. Unless I am really bad at Googling, it can only mount as one user. :-(

• @the_doctor said:

@Daniel15 said:

It doesn't seem like NFS preserves permissions either, when a mount needs multiple users as owners. Unless I am really bad at Googling, it can only mount as one user. :-(

Try mounting in your fstab, and set the no_root_squash option on the server-side. Change the owner of the directory you're sharing to be owned by root, and have subdirectories owned by other users. You might find it easiest to create the subdirectories on the client-side as root, as the UIDs probably differ between the client and server.

Otherwise you can just have multiple NFS mounts, as different users. You can add mounts to /etc/fstab with the user option, which allows non-root users to mount that mount. Then just mount /mnt/foo as a regular user.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @socialzzz said:

@TimboJones said:
    The problem is that the 1 week estimates (Chicago for me) are now coming into week two and no update. This is a very bad sign as an original ETA of 1 week would be 5-9 days and now it's 14 days without any update. So either very bad planning, or many unforseen issues came up and there's still no idea of when the new ETA is.

For me, I needed at least one server provisioned by tonight to put it in service before going on vacation. Now I'll just have to implement that solution elsewhere and not have any use for these HH any more for a while. Which means I'll buy elsewhere and end up cancelling existing HH services when they come up for renewal to make use of these servers when eventually get provisioned..

I took a gamble on their estimate, unfortunately, didn't work out for me. C'est la vie. But it means I won't ever count on them again.

careful they may just give you a refund lol

Not the worst outcome since I've just setup everything at home, but better.

They delivered one of two servers a few hours ago. Not the one I would have setup right away, but at least it got delivered after two weeks.

I guess I'll give them to family members for Christmas.

• @TimboJones said:

They delivered one of two servers a few hours ago.

Which plan/ location was delivered?

• @plumberg said:

@TimboJones said:

Chicago 1TB.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @TimboJones said:

@plumberg said:

@TimboJones said:

Chicago 1TB.

Chicago 2TB delivered.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @TimboJones said:

@TimboJones said:

@plumberg said:

@TimboJones said:

Chicago 1TB.

Chicago 2TB delivered.

Woohoo. Good for you

Thanked by 2TimboJones bdl
  • @veren said:
    If you don't pay the premium price, you don't get the premium service. They literally state on the thread that the reason why it's cheap is because they will basically place all your tickets regarding the services on low priority.

Not the case here for me, I paid both LET price and premium price, but the same outcome: bad connectivity to my upstream service. I cancelled my premium one for only one month idle, but the LET one for 2 years lol (waste more dollars for LET service than premium once). PS I also have 2TB in Chicago for $40/y, and idle too, but I dont think of any issue with that, not sure if anyone interested in taking it.

• verenveren Member
    edited December 2022

@orion504 said:

@veren said:
    If you don't pay the premium price, you don't get the premium service. They literally state on the thread that the reason why it's cheap is because they will basically place all your tickets regarding the services on low priority.

Not the case here for me, I paid both LET price and premium price, but the same outcome: bad connectivity to my upstream service. I cancelled my premium one for only one month idle, but the LET one for 2 years lol (waste more dollars for LET service than premium once). PS I also have 2TB in Chicago for $40/y, and idle too, but I dont think of any issue with that, not sure if anyone interested in taking it.

Bad connectivity to your upstream isn't something they would be able to help you with if it's not an issue on their end. If you're just running into shit peering, then that's just luck of the draw at that point. Hosthatch also provide test IPs and files for you to download to test your peering, but to be fair, they could probably pick upstreams with better peering in certain locations. Sadly they'd have to up the price by quite a bit.

• I tested the connectivity with its looking glass, seemed more excellent (lower ping time, less hops in mtr) than OCI free or Linode/Vultr, considering the same price ~$5/month for same plan. My point is: not always premium price comes with premium service. Yeah. Sometimes luck matters as you said :)

• @hosthatch can you look at Ticket #509992
    I'll be happy to pay multi-years in advance if my storage can be doubled.

Many thanks

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited December 2022

Randomly generated password, or a shout out to the child humor in me? 🤔

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • @jon617 said: Randomly generated password, or a shout out to the child humor in me? 🤔

Seems like it pulls suggestion directly from your browser history.