Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH / SYS / Kimsufi Black friday's offers are up - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH / SYS / Kimsufi Black friday's offers are up

Comments

• How much time did ovh guys consume to provision an order. ?

• @adns said:
    IPv6 is only /128 but the address is typical first ::1 in a /64 block. So it seems that they give /64 ranges but only allow to use the ::1/128 address.

I set the ::2 address and it worked. So I have a /64 block owever OVH only communicates the ::1/128 address.

How can I edit my previous post? I searched but no button or menu for that function:D

• @Sanjue007 said:
    How much time did ovh guys consume to provision an order. ?

~10min

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2022

@adns said: IPv6 is only /128 but the address is typical first ::1 in a /64 block. So it seems that they give /64 ranges but only allow to use the ::1/128 address.

Yes, I have put up a config for proxmox on how to use all /64 for virtualization. It is kind of cumbersome because their routers only allow one IP (it could be any of the range) go out at the same time, so you have to proxy eerything through it with ndppd.

The old (2021) KS LE don't have the US 25 mbps problem without egress.

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 94.1 Mbits/sec  | 641 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 94.5 Mbits/sec  | busy
    Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 93.8 Mbits/sec  | 938 Mbits/sec
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 89.8 Mbits/sec  | 860 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 89.7 Mbits/sec  | busy
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 88.4 Mbits/sec  | 832 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 88.0 Mbits/sec  | 847 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 92.9 Mbits/sec  | 800 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 92.6 Mbits/sec  | 926 Mbits/sec
    Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 92.7 Mbits/sec  | 923 Mbits/sec
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 89.6 Mbits/sec  | 640 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 89.2 Mbits/sec  | 879 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 88.0 Mbits/sec  | 847 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 87.1 Mbits/sec  | 776 Mbits/sec

The new ones, with SSD, have, but the performance of SSD (2x960 in my case as it looks like everyone else) makes up for it. I will keep both, they are good bang for the money.

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 94.1 Mbits/sec  | 941 Mbits/sec   | 3.43 ms
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 95.3 Mbits/sec  | 938 Mbits/sec   | 6.57 ms
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 95.2 Mbits/sec  | 939 Mbits/sec   | 6.71 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 34.2 Mbits/sec  | 380 Mbits/sec   | 97.2 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 38.0 Mbits/sec  | 462 Mbits/sec   | 80.1 ms
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 25.7 Mbits/sec  | 156 Mbits/sec   | 114 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 27.2 Mbits/sec  | 452 Mbits/sec   | 133 ms

CPU new one:

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 895
    Multi Core      | 3469

CPU old one:

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 843
    Multi Core      | 3447

Granted, the old one is not idle, but doesn't run anything heavy.
    %Cpu(s): 0.7 us, 0.8 sy, 0.0 ni, 98.5 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.1 si, 0.0 st

• So when installing proxmox via their template, it forces you to create the /var/lib/vz partition and that is the only thing proxmox seems to see.

Is there no way to just use / partition for it? I'd rather not split up everything, so I set 2GB for /var/lib/vz just cause I had to make a partition, but I cant seem to use / partition in proxmox at all.

Do I have to install it manually on top of debian if I want to use just 1 partition?

• @drizbo said:
    So when installing proxmox via their template, it forces you to create the /var/lib/vz partition and that is the only thing proxmox seems to see.

Is there no way to just use / partition for it? I'd rather not split up everything, so I set 2GB for /var/lib/vz just cause I had to make a partition, but I cant seem to use / partition in proxmox at all.

Do I have to install it manually on top of debian if I want to use just 1 partition?

Tick the custom partition when installing the OS

• Yeah I did that, but the point is that their template wants to force you to use /var/lib/vz and you cant even install without it. And proxmox cant use any other partition after installation

• stonedstoned Member
    edited November 2022

@drizbo said:
    Yeah I did that, but the point is that their template wants to force you to use /var/lib/vz and you cant even install without it. And proxmox cant use any other partition after installation

I always install debian first, custom partition layout, then install proxmox on top of debian (according to their official guide).

I like to put var/lib/vz on custom file system, usually btrfs, snapshots, etc.

https://nicolas.busseneau.fr/en/blog/2021/07/ovh-soyoustart-install-iso-image to install debian with custom partition layout

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye install PVE on debian 11

• Nvm, I'm stupid. I could add it under datacenter->Storage as a "directory" and just give it a path such as /home/user/proxmox

edited November 2022

@drizbo said: Nvm, I'm stupid. I could add it under datacenter->Storage as a "directory" and just give it a path such as /home/user/proxmox

Or you could remove completely the partition after installing and add later whatever you wish.
    Proxmox directly takes less time to install and, while I was usually installing debian first, since Bullseye, the network tweaking takes too long and I locked myself out a couple of times due to stupidity, therefore I go with Proxmox directly.
    I already have the config files for OVH with all bridges configured, IPv6 routing for all /64 I just need to tweak a bit and is ready.

Thanked by 1drizbo
  • KS-LE-1 has been sold out, I haven't applied for tax exemption yet

• KS-LE-2 Canada out of stock? No delivery after 30 mins
    I feel like this increases my chances at the ovh lottery, restocked units may have better drives, memory, and stuff like that

edited November 2022

@Garbo said: I haven't applied for tax exemption yet

How do you do that?

I have already an account and 2 servers, they didn't charge VAT for that, but I could not use it to order the new one and it had nothing to do with the setup fee, the account didn't exist, I had to recreate it using the SAME email from my company and it worked.
    This allowed me to apply the setup fee coupon, but it charged me VAT.

• @ralf said:
    To me, the KS-LE-2 looks a bit more appealing. Basically the same but with Intel E5-1650v2 - 6c/12t instead of E3-1245v2 - 4c/8t, so 50% extra performance for about 33% more money.

I read the introduction, KS-LE-2 uses Intel Xeon E3-1230v6 - 4c/8t - 3.5 GHz/3.9 GHz .Did they secretly change something?

• @Garbo said:

@ralf said:
    To me, the KS-LE-2 looks a bit more appealing. Basically the same but with Intel E5-1650v2 - 6c/12t instead of E3-1245v2 - 4c/8t, so 50% extra performance for about 33% more money.

I read the introduction, KS-LE-2 uses Intel Xeon E3-1230v6 - 4c/8t - 3.5 GHz/3.9 GHz .Did they secretly change something?

Looks like you're looking at SYS-LE-2 not KS-LE-2

• @Maounique said:

@Garbo said: I haven't applied for tax exemption yet

How do you do that?

I have already an account and 2 servers, they didn't charge VAT for that, but I could not use it to order the new one and it had nothing to do with the setup fee, the account didn't exist, I had to recreate it using the SAME email from my company and it worked.
    This allowed me to apply the setup fee coupon, but it charged me VAT.

I opened a ticket, but they haven't received any response for a while

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

If I migrate my failover from SYS to OVH Eco, do I keep my grandfathered IP costs?

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @stoned said:

@drizbo said:
    Yeah I did that, but the point is that their template wants to force you to use /var/lib/vz and you cant even install without it. And proxmox cant use any other partition after installation

I always install debian first, custom partition layout, then install proxmox on top of debian (according to their official guide).

I like to put var/lib/vz on custom file system, usually btrfs, snapshots, etc.

https://nicolas.busseneau.fr/en/blog/2021/07/ovh-soyoustart-install-iso-image to install debian with custom partition layout

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye install PVE on debian 11

Another Debian installation guide, I used this with one SSD, the other one not used
    https://gist.github.com/varqox/42e213b6b2dde2b636ef

• hyperblasthyperblast Member
    edited November 2022

#

• @hyperblast said:
    #

Please don't post non-comments

• hyperblasthyperblast Member
    edited November 2022

@angstrom said:

@hyperblast said:
    #

ok.
    was asking a question but find answer on my own. therefore i "deleted" the comment. how to handle it better in future, sir? @angstrom

• @hyperblast said:

@angstrom said:

@hyperblast said:
    #

ok.
    was asking a question but find answer on my own. therefore i "deleted" the comment. how to handle it better in future, sir? @angstrom

Two options:

(i) If you can still edit your original post, then you could do something like the following:

My original question
    I've since found the answer to my question, which is [give the answer]

(ii) If you can't edit your original post, then you could simply quote your original post, saying that you've found the answer, which is [give the answer]

• @angstrom said:

@hyperblast said:

@angstrom said:

@hyperblast said:
    #

ok.

Two options:

(i) If you can still edit your original post, then you could do something like the following:

My original question

(ii) If you can't edit your original post, then you could simply quote your original post, saying that you've found the answer, which is [give the answer]

Is it possible to edit my posts? How can I do it? I can only edit when I open a new topic.

• drizbodrizbo Member
    edited November 2022

Im too retarded to setup networking in proxmox, I dont have connectivity in my VMs.

Anyone can explain it like im 5? I was googling around but nothing works for me. I used their template to install proxmox

• @adns said:

@angstrom said:

@hyperblast said:

@angstrom said:

@hyperblast said:
    #

ok.

Two options:

My original question

Is it possible to edit my posts? How can I do it? I can only edit when I open a new topic.

Everyone can edit their comment for 60 minutes after posting their comment -- see the cogwheel to the left of the square in the upper right corner of your post (move your mouse to see it)

Thanked by 1adns
    edited November 2022

@drizbo said:
    Im too retarded to setup networking in proxmox, I dont have connectivity in my VMs.

Anyone can explain it like im 5? I was googling around but nothing works for me. I used their template to install proxmox

I will give you my files and some comments.

# network interface settings; autogenerated
    # Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
    # you're doing.
    #
    # If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
    # please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
    # so.
    # PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
    # configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
    # the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
        address IPv4/24
        gateway IPv4 gateway
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
        address 2001:41d0:x:xxxx::FFFF/128
        post-up sleep 5; /sbin/ip -6 route add  2001:41d0:x:xxff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev vmbr0
        post-up sleep 5; /sbin/ip -6 route add default via 2001:41d0:x:xxff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        pre-down /sbin/ip -6 route del default via 2001:41d0:x:xxff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        pre-down /sbin/ip -6 route del 2001:41d0:x:xxff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev vmbr0

auto vmbr6
    iface vmbr6 inet static
        address 10.0.0.254/24
        bridge-ports none
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.0.0.0/24 -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 10000:60000 -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.253
            post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport 10000:60000 -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.253
        post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport 60203 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.203
            post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport 60204 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.204
            post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport 60205 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.205
            post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport 60206 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.206
            post-down iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -p udp --dport 60203 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.203
            post-down iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -p udp --dport 60204 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.204
            post-down iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -p udp --dport 60205 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.205
            post-down iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -p udp --dport 60206 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.206
            post-down iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -p udp --dport 10000:60000 -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.253
            post-down iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 10000:60000 -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.253
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s 10.0.0.0/24 -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE

iface vmbr6 inet6 static
        address 2001:41d0:x:xxxx::1/64

auto vmbr64
    iface vmbr64 inet static
        address 10.0.1.254/24
        bridge-ports none
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Notes:
    1. X marks the spot where you need to adapt to your IPv6. I assume you have similar in the rest if you got it in France. Otherwise you will have to replace all the IPv6 accordingly. Also replace "IPV4" with your actual IPv4;
    2. Note the number of "f"s Sometimes there are 4 (last) sometimes there are 6. This is because they route a /56 actually, not /64 plainly. Their routing is "original", not your fault.
    3. I have some ports forwarded, both in bulk and one by one, I keep those there as an example.
    4. The VMs/CTs will be bridged to vmbr6 NOT vmbr0. Give it an IP in 10.0.0.0/24 range and any IPv6 within your /64. Gateway (in VMs/CTs) is 10.0.0.254 for IPv4 and ::1 for IPv6. I suppose you could replace the RFC 1918 class, I use 10.0.0.0 because I used to manage a very big network and it is faster to type as well;
    5. vmbr64 is there for my "special needs". it is not needed for simple container/VM connectivity, but does not ask for food, you can use it for internal-only routing completely isolated from outside.
    6. You need to enable forwarding for IPv6. IPv4 I enabled in the post-up stanza but IPv6 is better to enable permanently in sysctl.conf : uncomment net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1 then apply sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.conf

Now, forwarding is enabled, but we need to route /64 through only one IPv6 as OVH routers only allow one per MAC at any given time. You will notice in the config the IP for the net-facing bridge is address 2001:41d0:x:xxxx::FFFF/128 I used that one because I like the gateway to be ::1 in the CT/VM configs for sanity purposes and you could see that in vmbr6 config. In order to do this special OVH routing we will use ndppd which will do the proxying of NDP between interfaces and thus enabling the routing.

apt install ndppd
    Then create the config (does not exist initially) at /etc/ndppd.conf

route-ttl 30000
    proxy vmbr0 {
    router yes
    timeout 500
    ttl 30000
    rule 2001:41d0:x:xxxx::/64 {
    static
    }
    }

It will complain /64 is too large, you can slash it into smaller chunks adding a similar config for each, I recommend /120 but /64 works for most cases and does not have a big performance impact.
    I hope I didn't forget anything.

Important!
    Test the file for typos with ifup --no-act vmbr0 and then vbmr6 and vmbr64. If you get no errors, then you are probably good to go.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • @Maounique Thank you very much.

• Almost 24 hours and still waiting for mine to be provisioned. Probably should not have paid via paypal. Not sure if opening a ticket for VAT to be removed also affected this as well.

• @razorblade said:
    Almost 24 hours and still waiting for mine to be provisioned. Probably should not have paid via paypal. Not sure if opening a ticket for VAT to be removed also affected this as well.

Checking your order
    An additional processing time is required. It is usually around 48 hours. Our customer support team may contact you.

@Sanjue007 said:

@razorblade said:
    Almost 24 hours and still waiting for mine to be provisioned. Probably should not have paid via paypal. Not sure if opening a ticket for VAT to be removed also affected this as well.

Checking your order
    An additional processing time is required. It is usually around 48 hours. Our customer support team may contact you.

Very true, but most people, including "new customers", got it long ago. There is probably some issue, I just ate the VAT and will ask to be removed later.