Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

jimaek is Giving Away 20 Globalping Probes Through December 5! WORLDWIDE! Enter to Win! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

jimaek is Giving Away 20 Globalping Probes Through December 5! WORLDWIDE! Enter to Win!

Comments

• YuzhenQinYuzhenQin Member, Host Rep

Arrived (China). With an ethernet cable, a MicroUSB charger and JSDeliver & Globalping sticker.

Thanked by 2jimaek JerryHou
  • hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited January 2023

@YuzhenQin said:
    Arrived (China). With an ethernet cable, a MicroUSB charger and JSDeliver & Globalping sticker.

may I ask it's China Post or other delivery company?

and did you provide tel/mobile in your delivery address? if no, how they contact you? I still didn't received it, I wonder how they can contact me when arrived here, because I have not provide tel/mobile :'(

thanks

• How can we view the logs in self hosted docker? I'm running it on my idle VPSes, finally found a way to use them

@jcolideles docker ps to find the container name and docker logs $name to view them.

@YuzhenQin awesome, getting an internet monitoring network in China is really difficult

• @abtdw said:
    Received my probe today (India) Actually, mine came with a customs duty fee of Rs 936 (11.5$). Nevertheless, it's online now. Feels good to be a part of your project @jimaek Thank you.

If you don't mind me asking what state is. this, mine in india had zero customs , i keep reading online that certain regions are more likely to attract custom then others in india , just want to verify that theory,

• @codelock Tamilnadu, I think there is another probe live in my state. Curious to know if I was the only one to pay customs. Because the postman said my package was randomly picked up by some special customs squad that randomly raids packages coming to India. I might have got so (un)lucky there, it seems.

• @abtdw said:
    @codelock Tamilnadu, I think there is another probe live in my state. Curious to know if I was the only one to pay customs. Because the postman said my package was randomly picked up by some special customs squad that randomly raids packages coming to India. I might have got so (un)lucky there, it seems.

You should have received a bill of some sorts for the tax to be payed?;maybe you got unlucky,
    Banglore and Mumbai customs are known to charge heavy customs if I believe reddit

• abtdwabtdw Member
    edited January 2023

@codelock said: You should have received a bill of some sorts for the tax to be payed?;maybe you got unlucky,
    Banglore and Mumbai customs are known to charge heavy customs if I believe reddit

Yes, had one formal customs bill attached to the parcel, informing me that my package was inspected by customs and had the fee split up written on it. IGST: 889, Postal fee: 30, and registration fee 17 total amounting to Rs 936

• YuzhenQinYuzhenQin Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2023

@hotsnow said: may I ask it's China Post or other delivery company?

and did you provide tel/mobile in your delivery address? if no, how they contact you? I still didn't received it, I wonder how they can contact me when arrived here, because I have not provide tel/mobile :'(

China Post.

I did not provide my mobile in my address. But it seems there is a postcard with the same address & name plus my mobile phone number, and they arrived at the post office on the same day, so they can contact me.

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • AcacyAcacy Member
    edited February 2023

Received mine,

running from Malaysia and updated on https://api.globalping.io/demo/
    Thanks @jimaek :)

Thanked by 3jimaek greentea Ganonk
  • PeterPPeterP Member, Host Rep

Mine arrived in Ontario, Canada without issue. Actually caught me off guard at first because I wasn’t expecting it to arrive when it did. Zero customs fees, and now up and running without issue.

Thanked by 2greentea jimaek
  • Got a probe delivered to my home today and it's running now. I wasn't expect that I got one out of 20 (maybe because my country haven't had any node up yet lol).
    P/s: Pls don't judge my probe placement, it's hard to organize all the plugs and cables when you having like 5 devices running in a room with only 2 wall plugs near them and a 20cm long Cat5 outlet to the switch. Maybe I'll place it flat onto the table later if I can find a longer network cable for the probe.

Thanked by 2jimaek greentea
  • arifurarifur Member
    edited February 2023

Mine was delivered yesterday. Thanks for the device.

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • Thanked by 2jimaek greentea
  • Just got mine in California! Any way to make the probe use Wi-Fi by chance? It seems my building isn't wired with ethernet...

Thanked by 1greentea
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2023

@Unixfy said:
    Just got mine in California! Any way to make the probe use Wi-Fi by chance? It seems my building isn't wired with ethernet...

From what others have mentioned, inside of this probe there is a very small single board computer called NanoPi Neo which unfortunately does not have many features (such as integrated WiFi), and is also not as popular as Raspberry Pi boards.

Therefore, you could use some extremely cheap second hand router which you may find on online marketplaces or second-hand shops; then set the WiFi as a WAN interface while the ethernet ports remain in LAN. If the firmware of the cheap router does not allow such configuration, overwrite the firmware with OpenWRT (you may need to make sure the cheap router is compatible with this before buying it - a simple online search should help you with that).

Another solution could be to attach a WiFi dongle on that USB port of the NanoPi Neo, but this would require a rewrite of the whole operating system of the probe to support that dongle and it's drivers.

Thanked by 3Unixfy greentea jimaek
  • @hotsnow said:

@YuzhenQin said:

thanks

It's sent to me via regular post mail (China Post), a bubble warp package. I checked the stamp, it was sent on 2022-11-23 (-ish, the post stamp is not clear after long time) and just arrived yesterday. I guess if you have the address correct, eventually your post office will deliver it to you...

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @JerryHou said:

@hotsnow said:

@YuzhenQin said:

thanks

It's sent to me via regular post mail (China Post), a bubble warp package. I checked the stamp, it was sent on 2022-11-23 (-ish, the post stamp is not clear after long time) and just arrived yesterday. I guess if you have the address correct, eventually your post office will deliver it to you...

thanks, but seems hopeless, I have callled local post office several days ago, they said if no track number they can't provide any help, and since also no tel number with this package, it's make more difficult to arrive me :'(

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @hotsnow said:

@JerryHou said:

@hotsnow said:

@YuzhenQin said:

thanks

thanks, but seems hopeless, I have callled local post office several days ago, they said if no track number they can't provide any help, and since also no tel number with this package, it's make more difficult to arrive me :'(

We can only hope... just wait... :neutral:

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • [2023-02-13 10:44:07] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:44:28] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:44:48] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:09] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:18] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:19] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:20] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:20] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:21] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:21] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:22] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:23] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:24] [DEBUG] [687] [general] connection to API established
    [2023-02-13 10:45:24] [INFO] [687] [api:connect] connected from (xxxx, RO, EU) (lat: xxxx long: xxxxx)
    [2023-02-13 10:45:51] [DEBUG] [687] [general] disconnected from API: (transport close)
    [2023-02-13 10:45:51] [DEBUG] [687] [general] connection to API established
    [2023-02-13 10:45:51] [INFO] [687] [api:connect] connected from (xxxx, RO, EU) (lat: xxxx long: xxxxx)
    [2023-02-13 10:45:54] [DEBUG] [687] [general] disconnected from API: (transport close)
    [2023-02-13 10:45:55] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:55] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:56] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:57] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:57] [ERROR] [687] [general] connection to API failed: websocket error
    [2023-02-13 10:45:58] [DEBUG] [687] [general] connection to API established
    [2023-02-13 10:45:58] [INFO] [687] [api:connect] connected from  (xxxx, RO, EU) (lat: xxxx long: xxxxx)
    [2023-02-13 10:46:49] [DEBUG] [687] [general] disconnected from API: (io server disconnect)
    [2023-02-13 10:46:49] [DEBUG] [687] [general] connection to API established
    [2023-02-13 10:46:49] [INFO] [687] [api:connect] connected from  (xxxx, RO, EU) (lat: xxxx long: xxxxx)

Any idea why it does this?
    @jimaek

• Yesterday the API load balancer had a small outage, that's probably it. If it keeps happening then please open a GitHub issue

• Globalping got it's first hardware sponsor! We partnered with DNSFilter who helped us order a new batch of devices!

So if anyone missed the giveaway and still wants to get a hardware probe then you can do it by submitting this form powered by DNSFilter

(note that they limited the form to business emails. If you dont want to be added to their leads list then this is not for you. In this case you can submit the original form in this thread and I will try to process it in a few months when I have more devices available)

And don't worry, they are exactly the same with the only difference being the DNSFilter sticker on one side and US power plug exclusively. Same software and firmware, I packaged them myself :)

Htyv6Au.th.jpg Htyv49e.th.jpg

• @jimaek said:
    Globalping got it's first hardware sponsor! We partnered with DNSFilter who helped us order a new batch of devices!

So if anyone missed the giveaway and still wants to get a hardware probe then you can do it by submitting this form powered by DNSFilter

(note that they limited the form to business emails. If you dont want to be added to their leads list then this is not for you. In this case you can submit the original form in this thread and I will try to process it in a few months when I have more devices available)

And don't worry, they are exactly the same with the only difference being the DNSFilter sticker on one side and US power plug exclusively. Same software and firmware, I packaged them myself :)

Htyv6Au.th.jpg Htyv49e.th.jpg

I still didn't receive my box, and I can't submit the original form in this thread again, it show as "This form can only be filled out once", thanks :'(

• Just PM me with the email you used and I'll check :)

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • @jimaek said:
    Just PM me with the email you used and I'll check :)

PMed, thank you sir :)

• Wow, signed up for dnsfilter giveaway of probes, got confirmation in an hour about the product is being shipped to me.

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • @jimaek said:
    Just PM me with the email you used and I'll check :)

re-applied one from DNSFilter, and received the email of DHL today, according the query of DHL, seems the delivery address been cuted some part (perhaps due to a little long?) :o , caused the tel number incomplete , but at least it can be tracked this time :p , thanks.

• about the updates of DHL, anybody know what does this means? thanks

Shipment is on hold, Tracking Code: xxx
    August, 12 2023 04:17 Local time, CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA

Further Detail
    DHL requires additional paperwork to process the shipment.

Next Step
    The shipment will be processed after receiving the necessary paperwork. Please contact us for more information.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@hotsnow said:
    about the updates of DHL, anybody know what does this means? thanks
    Next Step
    The shipment will be processed after receiving the necessary paperwork. Please contact us for more information.

Usually because there was no invoice attached, he send you the probe for free and they could not determine a price for import taxes.

So you have to call them up.

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited August 2023

@Neoon said:

@hotsnow said:
    Next Step

Usually because there was no invoice attached, he send you the probe for free and they could not determine a price for import taxes.

but the sender should know this factor (no invoices) in advance? and this package haven't left the U.S. yet (From US to CN), does it need me to contact the sender? thanks

@jimaek

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@hotsnow said:

@Neoon said:

@hotsnow said:
    Next Step

but the sender should know this factor (no invoices) in advance? and this package haven't left the U.S. yet (From US to CN), does it need me to contact the sender? thanks

@jimaek

Well, then some papers are missing to export the package.
    Surely he will sort that out.

Thanked by 1hotsnow