Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

jimaek is Giving Away 20 Globalping Probes Through December 5! WORLDWIDE! Enter to Win! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

jimaek is Giving Away 20 Globalping Probes Through December 5! WORLDWIDE! Enter to Win!

Comments

• @jimaek I still haven't received mine :disappointed:

Where are the packages being sent from? I'm located in the USA.

• From Poland and it seems most people in USA already got them. If nothing happens in the next 1-2 weeks then please message me and I'll send another one.

Maybe they are overloaded due to Christmas

• So it is ripe atlas but less popular?

• @Hotmarer said:
    So it is ripe atlas but less popular?

It is :) But only for now, just needs some time to grow. I am already working on some cool partnerships that should put Globalping on the map of many

• @jimaek said:
    From Poland and it seems most people in USA already got them. If nothing happens in the next 1-2 weeks then please message me and I'll send another one.

Maybe they are overloaded due to Christmas

Are there any tracking details? How do I know if one is shipped out or still waiting

• Unfortunately no tracking, it would be too expensive. I can only confirm if the package was shipped or not (if you PM me your email), after that I unfortunately don't know where it is either.

But people keep emailing me that the packages are showing up, e.g. from Poland to Serbia it took about 2.5 weeks to get there.

PL to California 2 weeks.

UK is completely stuck, 5+ weeks waiting

• @jimaek Didn't you sometimes send it using Poczta Polska? If so, that's normal.

• @Hotmarer said:
    @jimaek Didn't you sometimes send it using Poczta Polska? If so, that's normal.

Yep, Poczta Polska :) They are cheap and the stuff gets where its supposed to, it just takes time. Hopefully not too much, but holidays aren't helping either

• @jimaek said:
    Unfortunately no tracking, it would be too expensive. I can only confirm if the package was shipped or not (if you PM me your email), after that I unfortunately don't know where it is either.

But people keep emailing me that the packages are showing up, e.g. from Poland to Serbia it took about 2.5 weeks to get there.

Haha I understand. I'll just wait and wait.

Just to confirm all entries added on the form from 2 weeks ago have been sent?

• @plumberg if you want to be certain just PM me your email and I'll confirm, no worries

• @jimaek said: Yep, Poczta Polska They are cheap and the stuff gets where its supposed to, it just takes time. Hopefully not too much, but holidays aren't helping either

And they stole 70 000 000 PLN from Polish citizens making an unlawful election that did not take place. In addition, they sell everything and each of their places looks like a stall. I wouldn't be surprised if the package "lost in transit".

Of course, waiting in queues at the post office, you can probably die of old age, that's why they also sell candles there.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Please, I know we all hate Poczta Polska, but this is not a topic about it or our gov.

Thanked by 1Hotmarer
  • @jimaek said:
    Unfortunately no tracking, it would be too expensive. I can only confirm if the package was shipped or not (if you PM me your email), after that I unfortunately don't know where it is either.

UK is having postal strikes which are causing issues for the alternatives as well

• @jimaek said: PL to California 2 weeks

I'm in California and haven't seen it yet. I'll message you if I don't get it by Monday.

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • @jimaek said:
    It would be really cool if people that got their probes would post here some pics!

Feel free show off your home network labs, no matter how low-end they are :)

@jimaek I just received mine today!

It's sitting on top of my router for now, kind of awkwardly since the short Ethernet patch cable I'm using makes it not sit flat.

Maybe I'll stick it on a shelf next to my 'home server' and Raspberry Pi:

Thanked by 2jimaek Liso
  • Congrats everyone, looks like our little project here brought the attention of a billion dollar company, Catchpoint!

Apparently they felt so threatened by our work that they reached out to my boss at the company where I work full-time and there were "immediate consequences" quoting the article by @raindog308 on LEB as the reason.

It feels like they were hoping I would get fired and without a full-time job I would stop the development? Or maybe just to scare me into stopping immediatly. Nothing else makes sense to me, but they were wrong.

This is even stranger when you consider that the main competitor to Globalping is RIPE Atlas and Catchpoint was never even discussed or considered by anyone during development.
    The opposite, I would happily recommend them to all users that would request features from Globalping that we never planned on building... Not anymore I guess.

Anyway, the development continues. We just released a new featured called system tags. All probes are now automatically tagged with cloud regions for Google Cloud and AWS.
    e.g. you can now run a test from "aws-eu-central-2" and "gcp-asia-northeast3"
    Later we will add even more system tags and after the dashboard goes live our users will be able to tag their probes with "u-username-tagname" as well.

Regarding the probes, thanks everyone who posted pictures of them (and please continue to do so), its really exciting to see people helping out and becoming part of a community 10 years in the making!
    My wife and I spent days flashing the cards, packaging and shipping everything and we both appreciate it :)

Everyone who didn't get theirs yet should not be worried, I will continue going through the list of form submissions and sending them.
    Right now I am waiting for a new batch that should arrive in 3 weeks.

(the assembly station waiting for new hardware)

• Motherfuckers.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited December 2022

On the probes topic - seems like ssh fingerprint is changing (every reboot?) and I need to delete know entries - you probably don't want to generate new cert every boot?

[2022-12-22 07:27:05] [INFO] [687] [api:connect] connected from (Bialystok, PL, EU) (lat: 53.1625 long: 23.2109)
    Can we override geolocation somehow? I guess current Orange dynamic IP subnet is geolocated to different region and your system has wrong info.
    Maybe some kind of normalize - if things reported CityA 6 times and then ended in CityB or CityC one time only - ignore those, use CityA aka most common? This is gonna be problematic with dynamic/home IP ranges if you are planning city selection rather than country selection in the long run.

Could not chdir to home directory /home/logs: No such file or directory this thing persist every reboot too.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @JabJab

• Since the filesystem is read-only there's no way to save anything and avoid re-creation. But I think its fine since SSH is there for rare use-cases to check the logs.
    • Geo override will be possible after we have a dashboard. Adopted probes will allow user geo modification. But I am also trying to improve geoip for everyone https://github.com/jsdelivr/globalping/issues/265
    Thanked by 1greentea
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jimaek said:
    Congrats everyone, looks like our little project here brought the attention of a billion dollar company, Catchpoint!

Apparently they felt so threatened by our work that they reached out to my boss at the company where I work full-time and there were "immediate consequences" quoting the article by @raindog308 on LEB as the reason.

It feels like they were hoping I would get fired and without a full-time job I would stop the development? Or maybe just to scare me into stopping immediatly. Nothing else makes sense to me, but they were wrong.

Abductors are coming!

We just released a new featured called system tags. All probes are now automatically tagged with cloud regions for Google Cloud and AWS.

ASN tags please.
    Example: AS36352.
    This can be gathered from BGP data and is more reliable than location tags.

@JabJab said:
    [2022-12-22 07:27:05] [INFO] [687] [api:connect] connected from (Bialystok, PL, EU) (lat: 53.1625 long: 23.2109)
    Can we override geolocation somehow? I guess current Orange dynamic IP subnet is geolocated to different region and your system has wrong info.

I have one container running on an unused free VPS, Liga Hosting in Dallas.
    It's recognized as "Brooklyn US NA" orz

• ASN tags please.
    Example: AS36352.
    This can be gathered from BGP data and is more reliable than location tags.

We already support ASN as input and parameter, all probes have them :) tags are for data that is not uniform to create smaller groups.

It's recognized as "Brooklyn US NA" orz

Working on it, unfortunately it's a complicated issue. We already use 3 geo DBs and will need to make further improvements

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • SagnikSSagnikS Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2022

@jimaek said:
    Congrats everyone, looks like our little project here brought the attention of a billion dollar company, Catchpoint!

This is even stranger when you consider that the main competitor to Globalping is RIPE Atlas and Catchpoint was never even discussed or considered by anyone during development.
    The opposite, I would happily recommend them to all users that would request features from Globalping that we never planned on building... Not anymore I guess.

Anyway, the development continues. We just released a new featured called system tags. All probes are now automatically tagged with cloud regions for Google Cloud and AWS.
    e.g. you can now run a test from "aws-eu-central-2" and "gcp-asia-northeast3"
    Later we will add even more system tags and after the dashboard goes live our users will be able to tag their probes with "u-username-tagname" as well.

Regarding the probes, thanks everyone who posted pictures of them (and please continue to do so), its really exciting to see people helping out and becoming part of a community 10 years in the making!
    My wife and I spent days flashing the cards, packaging and shipping everything and we both appreciate it :)

Everyone who didn't get theirs yet should not be worried, I will continue going through the list of form submissions and sending them.
    Right now I am waiting for a new batch that should arrive in 3 weeks.

(the assembly station waiting for new hardware)

Absolutely horrible when big companies act rowdy like this. Hopefully this project grows and becomes a lot more popular!

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • Another awesome unboxing https://lowendbox.com/blog/getting-started-with-globalping-hands-on/ <3

Additionally I created an issue to track GeoIP problems. Feel free to comment if your probes have inaccurate geo https://github.com/jsdelivr/globalping/issues/268

The data will be used to improve our automatic geo detection https://github.com/jsdelivr/globalping/issues/265

Also the batch order from China finally arrived so we've resumed shipping!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Got mine, will unbox it later.

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • mine still no any news :'(

• Just got mine yesterday (Belgium)

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • SprSpr Member

Got mine yesterday! (Finland)

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • It's not a bug but a feature :) I replied in GitHub

• I got mine yesterday (Sweden) :)

Thanked by 1jimaek