Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

jimaek is Giving Away 20 Globalping Probes Through December 5! WORLDWIDE! Enter to Win! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

jimaek is Giving Away 20 Globalping Probes Through December 5! WORLDWIDE! Enter to Win!

Comments

• jimaekjimaek Member
    edited November 2022

@Abd said:

@jimaek said:

@fazar said:
    short question here. does globalping probes also work behind NAT or it needs a dedicated IPv4 address?

It will work behind NAT. No incoming connections are allowed so no need for dedicated IP.

how about if my isp blocks outgoing icmp on the nat ipv4 ?

The probe would still connect but all icmp tests would fail. DNS, mtr, traceroute and ping over TCP would continue to work.

In the future we may want to tag icmp blocked probes so that the API would not even consider them for ICMP tests. This way there would be no impact to user tests.

Edit https://github.com/jsdelivr/globalping/issues/243

Thanked by 1Abd
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Verizon FiOS in some regions interferes with ICMP traceroute.
    Whatever the destination, you see only two hops: the home router and the destination.
    I had this problem until earlier this year.
    UDP traceroute is unaffected though.

You may want to tag such networks too.

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2022

On Globalping's Github page there is this statement which caught my eyes: "Our goal is to provide a free and simple API for everyone out there to build interesting networking tools and services."

I fail to see the catch. There is no intention of profits from this project? Something smells weird. Don't get me wrong @jimaek - you got my attention and I like the idea of holding devices plugged-in and connected with the purpose of helping humanity (probably your current target of developers) - but I also know humans are greedy and always want more and more.

1. What are the plans for monetisation?
    2. Do you plan on having this project completely open and completely free?
    3. Do you intend to create free plans but with some form of limited access?
    4. Will early helpers get special lifetime plans as founders if this is intended for monetisation?
    5. Do you sometimes dream about becoming a millionaire?
    6. How old are you?
    Thanked by 1greentea
    1. I have made an initial section here https://github.com/jsdelivr/globalping#limits--wip The idea is that we will offer generous free limits but motivate people to become GitHub sponsors, starting at only $3 to get higher limits. The limits will be waived for most people that ask for it, and in theory most wont even need the higher limits, but the idea is that big companies that use the API to build something for themselves (imagine a DNS provider using Globalping to monitor their own service) will have to become sponsors to get the limits they need and in effect sponsor the development for everyone.
    2. Completely open source - yes. Completely free - yes, but not for companies that can afford to pay and need a high limit
    3. Yes. First idea is documented here https://github.com/jsdelivr/globalping#limits--wip
    4. Depends on the "help". Everyone who runs a probe will be able to adopt it and generate credits for themselves. Sponsors like hosting companies will be listed as such. But if someone went above and beyond to help, the best would be to simply email me to ask for custom limits. I literally can't track who owns how many probes and where unless they provide me SSH access to manage the VMs myself.
    5. Sure, who doesn't :) That's why I built 2 startups before (1 VC funded and failed, and 1 exited to Cloudflare). But these projects are completely separate. I have worked for many companies, I have started many companies but it never had any impact on jsDelivr.
    6. 29

Another important point is that I have been running the jsDelivr CDN for 10+ years now, with billions of requests and millions of websites using it. It has never been hacked or impacted by greediness of any kind. It brings me joy to build useful services that people enjoy using and the only problem I want to solve in terms of money is how to break-even.

Thanked by 2_MS_ Daniel15
  • So cool :)

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • @jimaek said:
    It would be really cool if people that got their probes would post here some pics!

Feel free show off your home network labs, no matter how low-end they are :)

I'll post a photo - hopefully I'll have the network closet (just a few devices) completed by then. I just started running CAT6 through the crawlspace under my house last weekend.

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • Let's try luck :-)

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

Sorry if this was already answered somewhere, but small question. Let's say in 2059 Globalping ends up shutting down its doors, is the hardware in these probes reusable? Like, would it be possible to flash an OS of my choosing (i.e. raspbian), or would they just be e-waste?

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @Advin said: would it be possible to flash an OS of my choosing (i.e. raspbian), or would they just be e-waste?

Seems like it's based on NanoPi NEO with fancy case so yeah, it should be possible to do something with this :-)

https://www.friendlyelec.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=132

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@JabJab said:

@Advin said: would it be possible to flash an OS of my choosing (i.e. raspbian), or would they just be e-waste?

Seems like it's based on NanoPi NEO with fancy case so yeah, it should be possible to do something with this :-)

https://www.friendlyelec.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=132

Ah I see, that's nice :smile: I've seen far too many products from now defunct companies just become completely useless because the hardware/software is locked down.

• All you have to do is flash a new OS on the sdcard and it will become a normal computer:)

Anyone can do it at any time, but I hope most people won't and will continue running them as probes

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2022

@jimaek said:
    All you have to do is flash a new OS on the sdcard and it will become a normal computer:)

Anyone can do it at any time, but I hope most people won't and will continue running them as probes

I highly appreciate the honesty and for keeping it open source and open hardware. What you might have miscalculated is the human greed in general, because every person wants some incentives, just like every company wants more profits every year.

You are going to make profits from corporations and big players - at least this is what you want and I believe you are right - but what are small players and supporters supposed to get from all this? You have not provided enough information as to why volunteers and general people would:

1. trust you with their connection (and hardware if it's not your probe);
    2. trust you by running your Docker container (yes, it's open source, but still there is a low risk);
    3. trust you by paying a small extra fee to electricity provider every month for keeping a small device powered and online.

Don't get me wrong, but to cut to the chase: what's in it for these "volunteers" helping you? There has to be some form incentive or something for early helpers which constitute the foundations or roots of your project. After all: you are asking others to freely and willingly help you in making money while volunteers pay for electricity; don't expect people to not want some small slice from this pie. It's basic historical human greed after all.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • You are going to make profits from corporations and big players - at least this is what you want and I believe you are right - but what are small players and supporters supposed to get from all this?

The service itself. The more people join the more valuable and useful the platform becomes for everyone. They way I see it its a win-win for everyone involved.

trust you with their connection (and hardware if it's not your probe);
    trust you by running your Docker container (yes, it's open source, but still there is a low risk);
    trust you by paying a small extra fee to electricity provider every month for keeping a small device powered and online.

I honestly dont know what you want me to say :) Its exactly that, trust. I believe I have enough credibility from my work in the past to deserve some trust. But of course nobody is forced for any reason to join or help. You can always just be a free user, no problem with that.

Also at the moment I am also taking many risks, I am trusting complete strangers as I have spent a lot of money to prepare these packages and ship them to many people. And I hope at least half will still be online next year and maybe even some people will write articles, tweet and promote the project via word of mouth.

The alternative of trust is commercial products like Catchpoint, they do similar things and require zero trust from anyone, you simply pay a lot of money. I could also do that (and did in the past as part of perfops.net), but I don't enjoy doing that. I believe a free and community powered service with an amazing UI and UX can exist and be competitive with the likes of RIPE Atlas and Catchpoint.

Don't get me wrong, but to cut to the chase: what's in it for these "volunteers" helping you? There has to be some form incentive or something for early helpers which constitute the foundations or roots of your project. After all: you are asking others to freely and willingly help you in making money while volunteers pay for electricity; don't expect people to not want some small slice from this pie. It's basic historical human greed after all.

There will be a very long time before anyone starts making money. I think you really overestimate how well open source projects get financed. It has been a huge struggle for 10 years to get any kind of financial help at jsDelivr.

The exchange here I believe is obvious:

• I handle the product management, development, design, marketing, roadmap etc...
    • I maintain all infrastructure and make the product production ready
    • I make everything open source
    • I pay for everything, servers, developers, designers, services...
    • In exchange I get all the GitHub donations/subscriptions to do all of the above and take the risk of never breaking even.

The users completely optionally can:

• Contribute by hosting a probe, sending PRs and promoting the project
    • Get access to a high quality and free product
    Thanked by 1_MS_
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2022

I guess @jimaek has sent these gifts already.

Has anyone received one of these to share some pictures and a copy of image file from the operating system within MicroSD?

Thanked by 1greentea
  • waiting for mine :) he sent an email confirming it had been sent, in the meantime added the docker to some vms on different providers, more than happy to send pics of device and poke around for community interest :) wondering if something like this could be done with smokeping....

Thanked by 3jimaek default greentea
  • Thanks for the giveway.

• @lazee486 said:
    waiting for mine :) he sent an email confirming it had been sent

Congratulations. It seems you're a winner of the giveaway. :smiley:

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2022

@jimaek - could you please share from where you bought the NanoPi Neo and it's case? I am guessing you bought it cheaper in bulk from somewhere, and I also guess the case is made entirely from aluminium with better passive cooling.

In my opinion it should not be hard to assemble and replicate one of these probes.

• @default Directly from the company making them. And yes its a metal case which helps with cooling.

And just for clarification, my plan is not to rely on these devices exclusively, I want to focus more on containers. But I understand that many people cant or dont want to run a full PC 24/7 in their homes, so the probes are for them and also have a marketing role.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited December 2022
    $ ssh [email protected]
    The authenticity of host '192.168.1.37 (192.168.1.37)' can't be established.
    ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:ONCENaem1MebvYRjCMzdZ8gp4Zk/JYv1quMGroibOVE.
    Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
    Warning: Permanently added '192.168.1.37' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
    Could not chdir to home directory /home/logs: No such file or directory
    Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs...
    0 added, 0 removed; done.
    Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d...
    done.
    Checking for the latest version
    Current version 0.10.1
    Latest version 0.10.1
    [2022-12-05 14:31:28] [INFO] [687] [general] Start probe version 0.10.1 in a production mode
    [2022-12-05 14:31:29] [DEBUG] [687] [general] connection to API established
    [2022-12-05 14:31:29] [INFO] [687] [api:connect] connected from (Warsaw, PL, EU) (lat: 52.2339 long: 21.0054)

globalping-probe-0c9e   IPv4:192.168.1.37   ae:87:3a:9a:0c:9e

and probe next to Raspberry Pi 3 Model B on top of my tp-link switch that has cables on the other side running on top shelf inside IKEA IVAR cabinet

Photo staged of course - rpi and probe gonna be on side of switch plus little cable management :P

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited December 2022

15 minutes later nothing more in logs!

@jimaek is there any heartbeat or anything in logs that I could watch to make sure it's still connected and working not just frozen or shitted itself because connection dropped or something ^.-?

Thanked by 2default greentea
  • @jimaek thank you, received an email from "Globalping Probe" today, but still didn't receive this box, I'm in China, perhaps need wait longer :/

Thanked by 1greentea
  • is there any heartbeat or anything in logs that I could watch to make sure it's still connected and working not just frozen or shitted itself because connection dropped or something ^.-?

If you lose the connection you will see it in the output. So as long as its "stuck" after connecting that means its waiting for measurements. Check your logs now btw :)

thank you, received an email from "Globalping Probe" today, but still didn't receive this box, I'm in China, perhaps need wait longer

Yeah, I didn't expect for regular post to be that slow. There are people in UK waiting for their packages for 3 weeks now... Yet some users in California got them within 5 days.

Thanked by 3JabJab hotsnow greentea
  • @jimaek is the giveaway still open? I had submitter the form a few days ago not sure if I should keep my hopes up for that cute box to come over. 🙃

• @plumberg said:
    @jimaek is the giveaway still open? I had submitter the form a few days ago not sure if I should keep my hopes up for that cute box to come over. 🙃

Yes, I will send everyone who submits a form but it will take a while. If you did it a few days ago then you might have to wait 1-2 months unfortunately.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @jimaek said:
    Yeah, I didn't expect for regular post to be that slow. There are people in UK waiting for their packages for 3 weeks now... Yet some users in California got them within 5 days.

I don't expect much on this, because I haven't wrote telephone in the details, perhaps it's a little difficult when delivery it, even if the package can arrive here :#

• @jimaek Got my box today. I will post an update in the next days.

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • @jimaek said:

@plumberg said:
    @jimaek is the giveaway still open? I had submitter the form a few days ago not sure if I should keep my hopes up for that cute box to come over. 🙃

Yes, I will send everyone who submits a form but it will take a while. If you did it a few days ago then you might have to wait 1-2 months unfortunately.

I see. Glad to know that. I can wait. Wad hoping this would be something I could tinker during the holidays.

Thanks for the giveaway

• DecicusDecicus Member
    edited December 2022

Received my package today. Will hopefully be able to set it up this weekend and post some pictures of the (probably) lowend™ setup.

In the meantime I'm running the probe on a few of my servers that I already run Docker on. :)

Thanked by 1jimaek