Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

European energy crisis, EUR:USD Exchange rate etc. wreaking havoc on European providers - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

European energy crisis, EUR:USD Exchange rate etc. wreaking havoc on European providers

Comments

• rcy026rcy026 Member
    edited September 2022

@ralf said:

@rcy026 said:
    (blah blah blah)
    You have done no such thing. I have provided you with facts, sources and calculations, all you have done is rant on and on about "you used pounds but you live in Sweden so everything you say is therefore false!".

Whatever man. Have a lovely winter.

I'm usually a polite man and should wish you the same, but you know what? I hope you freeze.

Edit: actually, that was not ok and I apologize for that, my temper got the better of me.
    I do not wish for you to freeze, but I would smile a bit if you get a higher then usual electricity bill. Lets leave it at that.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • Can someone please confirm none of my arguments with jsg were ever this boring as this electric bill argument?

[Insert Elsa from Frozen]

Thanked by 2ralf bulbasaur
  • @TimboJones said:
    Can someone please confirm none of my arguments with jsg were ever this boring as this electric bill argument?

[Insert Elsa from Frozen]

Nah, your bickering was actually worth reading.

Thanked by 2TimboJones bulbasaur
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

that twitter thread is rather informative :)

• @PulsedMedia said:

TLDR: it's 6 screens full of text just to say: Germany shouldn't have got rid of nuclear power.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2022

@ralf said:

@PulsedMedia said:

TLDR: it's 6 screens full of text just to say: Germany shouldn't have got rid of nuclear power.

Too many countries are importing power, especially fucking Italy.
    Instead of changing that, they rather blame countries at usually export but now less or not longer export.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcJMKWIWQAEL0RV?format=jpg&name=medium

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Any tesla powerwall users?

• @ralf said:

@PulsedMedia said:

Italy, Austria and another are also lazy fucks adding to the burdens.

• So many comments about Sweden.

As said, I live in the south of Sweden, I even see denmark.

I’m not in a contract. I like the suprise.

My last QUARTER totaled about $70-80.

This is for my whole apartment with washer, dryer & a dishwasher. As well as the essentials of course.

About 240 SEK a month.

Average income is about 36 000 SEK if I remember correctly.

Thanked by 2Mumbly ralf
  • I’ll post my bill tonight brcause it’s from a different reality to this thread.

Thanked by 2ralf PulsedMedia
  • Face it, our "leaders" have sold us down a river for some stupid proxy war and "green" energy while China eats our cake.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • @johnnyquestion said:
    Face it, our "leaders" have sold us down a river for some stupid proxy war and "green" energy while China eats our cake.

Your comments thus far in "that other thread" lead me to believe that Putin was your leader.

• @ralf said:

@johnnyquestion said:
    Face it, our "leaders" have sold us down a river for some stupid proxy war and "green" energy while China eats our cake.

Your comments thus far in "that other thread" lead me to believe that Putin was your leader.

No, I don't think that's the case -- but one couldn't be blamed for getting that impression from what he writes.

I think he could be American, and in the small minority who are pro-Putin and against any action that could hurt Russia. But I should really emphasize how tiny this minority is. I was speaking to a friend the other day who lives in a small US town. He knows two guys who are active on the city council: one is politically far-right (i.e., latches onto some of the latest conspiracy theories out of Trump-land), and the other is a left-wing, environmentalist/activist type. Both of them have Ukrainian flags hanging on their houses. It's one of the few things they can agree on.

This just shows how far out of touch @johnnyquestion is. In large majorities, people support the policies to remove Russia as a source of energy.

• M66BM66B Veteran
    edited September 2022

Given that the energy crisis won't be over soon, it is maybe better to talk about saving energy.

I replaced my ugly power hungry access point provided by my internet provider about a year ago by this:

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar750s/

Even with former cheaper energy prices, the device would earn itself back in a few years, let alone now. Besides that, it is faster and the Wi-Fi range improved. It saves space in my crowded fuse box as well, in fact a lot of space.

Yes, I know it is a travel router, but still ...

It is connected to a fiber-optic modem via an Ethernet cable (PPPoE is supported).

WireGuard works fine too!

• CBA to edit everything out so I'll just recap the invoice here:

To: 2022-08-31

(I pay quarterly)

817 kr (1021 kr with VAT)

About 76 bucks with VAT, and 95 bucks without VAT.

Energy price for this period: 2,42 kr kWh.
    Usage for same period: 337 kWh.

Makes it 340 kr a month, about 32 bucks. With VAT.

Also found my prior invoice for my quarterly usage.

To: 2022-05-31

754 kr (943 kr with VAT)

About 70 bucks with VAT, and 88 bucks without VAT.

Energy price for this period: 2,23 kr kWh.
    Usage for same period: 338 kWh.

Makes it 314 kr a month, about 29 bucks. With VAT.

Most surprising is that my usage differs 1 kWh between two different 3-month period lol.

A quarterly increase of:
    In pure payment: 26 kr, or $2.42 bucks (or 9 kr, or $0.84 a month), or, 8.28 %.
    Per kWh: 0,19 kr, or $0.02, or, 8.52 %.

Thanked by 3ralf Mumbly Peppery9
  • The with VAT and without VAT numbers seem swapped, but it's obvious what you meant. I'm jealous, your last bill is less than I was paying in the UK a year ago!

• @M66B said:
    Given that the energy crisis won't be over soon, it is maybe better to talk about saving energy.

I replaced my ugly power hungry access point provided by my internet provider about a year ago by this:

Even with former cheaper energy prices, the device would earn itself back in a few years, let alone now. Besides that, it is faster and the Wi-Fi range improved. It saves space in my crowded fuse box as well, in fact a lot of space.

I don't know what you mean by "fuse box", but for wireless range and performance, I'm almost certain "you're doing it wrong".

• @TimboJones said:

@M66B said:

I don't know what you mean by "fuse box"

• Although I suspect in this case he actually means the cupboard that lives in.

• @ralf said:
    The with VAT and without VAT numbers seem swapped, but it's obvious what you meant. I'm jealous, your last bill is less than I was paying in the UK a year ago!

Yes, and too late to fix sadly :(

I don't even think my kWh price is that good, I just think my usage is minimal?

• @ralf said:

@johnnyquestion said:

Russia is the second-largest oil exporter in the world. Russia will not promote green energy otherwise its income will be negatively affected, right? Does any OPEC country promote green energy? I guess he is in the EU which is a big green energy advocate.

• @chihcherng said:

@ralf said:

@johnnyquestion said:

Russia is the second-largest oil exporter in the world. Russia will not promote green energy otherwise its income will be negatively affected, right? Does any OPEC country promote green energy? I guess he is in the EU which is a big green energy advocate.

But then again Norway, one of the world's top fossil fuel exporters, does. It's among the greenest countries globally.

https://epi.yale.edu/epi-results/2022/component/epi

Thanked by 2TimboJones bulbasaur
  • @TimboJones said:

@M66B said:

I don't know what you mean by "fuse box", but for wireless range and performance, I'm almost certain "you're doing it wrong".

There are scales of gray between white and black. The wireless performance is enough to have almost full speed from the optic fiber, and the range is enough to cover my house. Of course, you can have more expensive equipment using more power to improve these, but that's a choice.

• In Denmark, many district heating customers get cheap - or even free - heating because their district heating supplier makes unexpected extra money by selling electricity to the new high prices. :)

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@chihcherng said:

@ralf said:

@johnnyquestion said:

We have enough hydroelectric power plants, thermal power plants, as well as nuclear power plants. But we have fewer natural opportunities to develop wind farms or solar power plants.
    Do not forget also that Russia, in my opinion, ranks second or even first in the world in terms of the area of forests that reduce CO2 emissions.
    We do not allow the use of incandescent lamps also.

• @rustelekom said:
    We have enough hydroelectric power plants, thermal power plants, as well as nuclear power plants. But we have fewer natural opportunities to develop wind farms or solar power plants.
    Do not forget also that Russia, in my opinion, ranks second or even first in the world in terms of the area of forests that reduce CO2 emissions.

Yeah, who needs incandescent lights when you're just burning all your gas in a massive flare just to try to provoke a reaction. Too bad for you the only reaction it provokes is to make us not want nothing to do with you at all.

• @emgh said:
    I don't even think my kWh price is that good, I just think my usage is minimal?

It's basically non-existent, do you even have the lights on in your home?
    You consume 337 kWh quarterly, the average in Sweden is over 1600 kWh per month.

@emgh said:
    My last QUARTER totaled about $70-80.

No no no, you are not allowed to use dollar if you live in Sweden, you have to use SEK! I still don't understand why, but I learned the hard way.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@ralf said:

@rustelekom said:

Yeah, who needs incandescent lights when you're just burning all your gas in a massive flare just to try to provoke a reaction. Too bad for you the only reaction it provokes is to make us not want nothing to do with you at all.

I don't think that such rythoric is required in any community. You only show how high hysteric exist in "west" community. I am personally prefer stay with normal, civilized discussion.

Thanked by 2that_guy vyas11