Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited

Comments

• mwtmwt Member

@ReadingIsFundamental said:
    It is unlimited- as long as THEY wish to keep you as a customer. They are warning that they may not. Doesnt mean its not unlimited for many many months for other users whose traffic they can accomodate/tolerate for other reasons (time of day/transit/IX exchanges etc)

I don't agree with this. Otherwise, I might as well create a cloud storage company that sells 2TB plans and cancel any customer that uses more than 50GB or a VPS company that "doesn't want" any customer that isn't idling their hardware.

It's not actually a legitimate way to do business. Customers that don't use their full allocation subsidize a service. However, you cannot "choose" only these customers. That is just not providing the service that you agreed to provide.

Thanked by 2xrz afn
  • HxxxHxxx Member

BuyVM offer unmetered bw, last time I checked. Good folks.

@Francisco

Thanked by 1xrz
  • BuyVM offers unmetered on some conditions. For every XGB ram, you are allowed to use XXMbits. So check it once.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • @mwt said:

It is unlimited- as long as THEY wish to keep you as a customer. They are warning that they may not. Doesnt mean its not unlimited for many many months for other users whose traffic they can accomodate/tolerate for other reasons (time of day/transit/IX exchanges etc)

I don't agree with this. Otherwise, I might as well create a cloud storage company that sells 2TB plans and cancel any customer that uses more than 50GB or a VPS company that "doesn't want" any customer that isn't idling their hardware.

It's not actually a legitimate way to do business. Customers that don't use their full allocation subsidize a service. However, you cannot "choose" only these customers. That is just not providing the service that you agreed to provide.

Just as a customer can cancel at the end of a term so can a provider. If a provider is smart they will look at all customers on a regular basis and shape their behavior or terminate them if the costs are too high for the revenue gained whether it’s high bandwidth high customer support or over use of fourteen days cancel period. It’s just prudent business

Thanked by 2xrz PulsedMedia
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Since they said it, you have to do something about it.
    250 TB/month on average per server is a lot though.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@Saahib said: Since they said it, you have to do something about it. 250 TB/month on average per server is a lot though.

250 TB/month is nothing...

Yes, we packing our bags, and moving,

• afnafn Member
    edited July 2022

@imgmoney said: BuyVM offers unmetered on some conditions. For every XGB ram, you are allowed to use XXMbits. So check it once.

Yeah but they don't throw a hissy fit, they clearly state what their FUP is, and no bad surprises, you are throttled when abusing FUP and all is good. no harm done. No threats by mail from "blacklist@..."

You can't compare a normal honest person like Francisco with that thing called Hetzner.

@Saahib said: 250 TB/month on average per server is a lot though.

They still did not say the limit is 250TB/month. They just said you are doing more than that, reduce "drastically". Which means they can still complain anytime. do not take that 250 for granted cuz next up is, you are doing more than 25GB/m you are banned.

Thanked by 2xrz sliix
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

Well, definitely somethings/some ones changed at Hetzner.
    I still have a ticket asking how much traffic I can use? 333 TB on the 34 Euro/month server?
    And they said I can use as much as I want, they don't have any limit.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • xrzxrz Member

@afn said: They just said you are doing more than that, reduce "drastically". Which means they can still complain anytime

Thats why hetzner in our yes wont be ever trusted.

Thanked by 1afn
  • It is really bad for Hetzner. Its unlimited dedis are its logo.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@comXyz said: Well, definitely somethings/some ones changed at Hetzner.

today ticket ?

• @ReadingIsFundamental said:

@mwt said:

Just as a customer can cancel at the end of a term so can a provider. If a provider is smart they will look at all customers on a regular basis and shape their behavior or terminate them if the costs are too high for the revenue gained whether it’s high bandwidth high customer support or over use of fourteen days cancel period. It’s just prudent business

Not morally right business practice though.
    See how many elders are rejected by the health insurance companies.

• How many confirmed cases are there if users getting kicked from hetzner for high usage? Seems to be an edge case

Thanked by 2xrz afn
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@vyas11 said:

@yoursunny said:

@ralf said:
    Probably for the same reason that buffets advertise "all you can eat" but don't expect you to eat the entire contents of the restaurant.

Red Lobster offers endless shrimp.
    Red Robin offers unlimited sides.
    Olive Garden offers bottomless soup.

Typically, you receive two plates initially.
    You must finish all existing plates before being allowed to order the next plate.
    Then you have to wait at least 15 minutes before the next plate arrives.
    Therefore, you can have at most 3 plates per hour.

If you stay for the entire lunch period, you can have 12 plates.
    However, endless shrimp has only 6 flavors, so you are getting repeats.

12 plates!! No wonder you keep doing all those push ups. Need to burn those caloriesy !!

Red Robin sides and Olive Garden soups have no protein.
    I typically consume just the 2 starters, or sometimes 3.

Red Lobster endless shrimp is packed with protein and also contains fat.
    I typically consume 3 or 4 plates, as I calculated this is is break even point of their pricing.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@ReadingIsFundamental
    we are yet to find out ;)
    probably will be the #1

• Is KS1 truly unlimited for 100 mpbs claim?

• mwtmwt Member

@mwt said:

I do not agree. You are not providing a service if you revoke it as soon as people try to use it.

• You can go with Hetzner Cloud as every instance provide you with 20TB of Traffic.

If you need only BW then get 20 x 4 Euro machines which are 80 Euro and you get 400TB traffic.

How many confirmed cases are there if users getting kicked from hetzner for high usage? Seems to be an edge case

Do not underestimate these small numbers of outliers. They can damage Hetzner's image heavily, as Hetzner claims that is 1 gbps unlimited, i.e., 320 TB/m.

• mwtmwt Member

@letlover said:
    Is KS1 truly unlimited for 100 mpbs claim?

Yes

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@imgmoney said: You can go with Hetzner Cloud

after this? are you for real? no thanks

• letloverletlover Member
    edited July 2022

I actually should praise this customer, because he is the one testing the limit of Hetzner's claim. Although in some sense, we as Hetnzer's low traffic users make up our rents for him.

Thanked by 2xrz sliix
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@letlover
    purchased as unlimited not "unlimited"

• @xrz said:
    @letlover
    purchased as unlimited not "unlimited"

Totally agree. Fair use unlimited is a big question mark for me when I purchase dedis.

• @letlover said:

It is very moral and just for a provider to say - I am losing money on this contract, I will honor it until its conclusion, but its my right to not renew it, I am not obligated to lose money on any customer not in a VALID contractual period.

In regards to elders- people do get denied insurance prior to enrolling in a plan (with some extensive legal exclusions), however once in a plan and they pay on time, they keep the plan. However, in America, the insurance providers have a loophole in that they usually terminate plans yearly and make a new one. The reason high risk people do not lose their insurance is that there is a law regarding preexisting conditions and prior creditable coverage. So your example really isnt related to the current discussion

• I get it now.
    "Unlimited" for service providers actually means unlimited explanation of the term "Unlimited". Period.
    Peace.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@ReadingIsFundamental said: It is very moral and just for a provider to say - I am losing money on this contract, I will honor it until its conclusion, but its my right to not renew it, I am not obligated to lose money on any customer not in a VALID contractual period.

Well thats true, but why then they lie about unlimited?
    Just to get more money from customers switching to them...
    Why not state the REAL limit?
    Why not limit ports speeds/speeds to match the traffic?

If we knew that unlimited != unlimited we could just limit traffic ourself

Thanked by 1sliix
  • @xrz said:

@ReadingIsFundamental said: It is very moral and just for a provider to say - I am losing money on this contract, I will honor it until its conclusion, but its my right to not renew it, I am not obligated to lose money on any customer not in a VALID contractual period.

Well thats true, but why then they lie about unlimited?
    Just to get more money from customers switching to them...
    Why not state the REAL limit?

You are missing the point, they didn't lie about unlimited. You got EXACTLY what you signed up for- one month of unlimited bandwidth with your dedi. They got exactly what they offered, the right to stop doing business with you, after the contract ended.

No lies, just hard core facts- no contract means ZERO protection and ZERO OBLIGATION to keep you as a client. You agreed to the short contract, you get the results of no more contract

@letlover said:

It is very moral and just for a provider to say - I am losing money on this contract, I will honor it until its conclusion, but its my right to not renew it, I am not obligated to lose money on any customer not in a VALID contractual period.

In regards to elders- people do get denied insurance prior to enrolling in a plan (with some extensive legal exclusions), however once in a plan and they pay on time, they keep the plan. However, in America, the insurance providers have a loophole in that they usually terminate plans yearly and make a new one. The reason high risk people do not lose their insurance is that there is a law regarding preexisting conditions and prior creditable coverage. So your example really isnt related to the current discussion

What you say is from a business owner's point of view. From the society point of view, health insurance is to cover those who may be susceptible to diseases. If health insurance companies only choose those customers who are healthy, there is no point for this health insurance business in our society. And voters will elect politicians to ban this business. It is this simple.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@ReadingIsFundamental said: You are missing the point, they didn't lie about unlimited. You got EXACTLY what you signed up for- one month of unlimited bandwidth with your dedi. They got exactly what they offered, the right to stop doing business with you, after the contract ended. No lies, just hard core facts- no contract means ZERO protection and ZERO OBLIGATION to keep you as a client. You agreed to the short contract, you get the results of no more contract

No, they lied.

unlimited != 250 TB
    Or is the same for you?