Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pulsed Media 12Th Anniversary Celebration ** FREE Seedboxes AND Special Anniversary Seedboxes! - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pulsed Media 12Th Anniversary Celebration ** FREE Seedboxes AND Special Anniversary Seedboxes!

Comments

• @PulsedMedia said:
    Put 2x Dragon-R raffle to celebrate 12th page :)

Able to grab one. @PulsedMedia thank you so much! Happy 12th page!

Thanked by 2Astro PulsedMedia
  • kyroskohkyroskoh Member
    edited February 2022

@Astro said:
    Is it possible to mount the seedbox to a folder on a VPS and play the media via Plex? Anyone done that before?

I personally using sshfs to mount as drive.

Thanked by 1LoyceV
  • @pouyam said:

@PulsedMedia said:
    Put 2x Dragon-R raffle to celebrate 12th page :)

Able to grab one. @PulsedMedia thank you so much! Happy 12th page!

Happy 13th page to you! :sunglasses:

Thanked by 1pouyam
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Astro said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@Astro said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@Astro said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@Astro said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@Astro said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@Astro said:
    Astro's mega offer! - 18 left! Get it while you can! I think this is the cheapest 14TB (approx) I've seen!

ought to be by a country mile! Well below 1€/TB, and then add the bonuses ...!

Also 12 pages soon!

@oriend said:
    Amazing, I'm always late for these great deals. Congrats to new owners of "Very FAT32".

Just got to lurk harder! ;)

Its a great deal! Thanks for the username change! The box is showing 11.8TB as storage, could you fix that up as well please? :)

~13.32TB = 12 121GiB.

Hmm, does the service really show 11.8TB? Screenshot please. I might've typoed on the automation but i doubt.

I did these new services WAY WAY too fast, and not in routine like @ Black Friday

Screenshot as requested! https://ibb.co/z6qWsbp

That's rounding and 1000 vs 1024! :)

12 121GiB = 11.8369TiB

(dang forgot what it was ISO vs ... ?)

Got it! All sorted then :) i think you put the wrong storage on the offer page then lol

12 121 / 1024 == 11.8369 so nope :)

No no I meant here https://ibb.co/ThpcgGG

13.32TB == 11.84TiB.
    Again ISO vs SI units once more :)

TB is how HDD manufactures advertises, TiB is how computers calculate. 10^2 == 1024

13.32TB and 11.84TiB are exactly the same thing.

Do you think we should show the larger number of the two on the welcome page btw? how about @emperor ?

@Astro said:
    I'm wondering how far the astro plan can go with the super generous bonus

QUADRUPLE of 13.32TB so == 53.28TB over the course of years.

I think larger number would look great marketing wise.

Hopefully there is enough free space on the node you put me on for good bonuses to come through!

as we upgrade hardware eventually old hardware gets dropped off from new provisioning, then your bonuses start to grow. Then eventually we move you to a new hardware with new potential, but provisioned bonus drops to 0GiB at that point tho :/

It's not guaranteed and still has some draw of luck in play, but considering we just saw 200GiB taking weeks to provision chances are good. About ~25% bonus for average user!

Yes marketing wise larger number better, but technically it would be incorrect :/

@FAT32 said:

@PulsedMedia said:
    huge ... HUUGE .... like .... say ... a PiB or two?!? ;D

As for the rest, it's the €/Month vs Overhead thingy ma jigg why we had to go a bit restricted on that promo, as well as the other ones.... One single ticket can blow the profit margin on HW/Network for 10 years at @ 1.01€/Month rate. Human resources are absurdly crazy costly at Finland. Most businesses minimum rate is 60€/hour + VAT ...

Fair, that's definitely one of them, maybe can enforce some "No support" thing. I am aware support is very expensive thus I nearly never open a ticket unless I am sure it is not something I can solve by myself (eg. Wrong deployment / specifications, Cannot login control panel, Wrong billing price)

How I usually calculate from my side is how does it compares to their all-day plan (All-day here means you have at least a few hours to consider and purchase, with sufficient stocks), with all things considered :)

seedboxes are a bit support heavy niche too, and extreme on the resources side - so low margin to start with. Also cannot hide behind TOS like "no support", we tried that many years ago, disastrous results. Hiding behind TOS never good thing.

Even "unsustainable deals" there has to be a kernel of sustainability in there. We'd like to celebrate 24th anniversary too, without any involucrations in between ;) ;)

But i am glad you are pushing the envelope. For us even the 8$/Month is very difficult to handle for every day deals (in my book weeks minimum on offer).

@Astro said:
    Is it possible to mount the seedbox to a folder on a VPS and play the media via Plex? Anyone done that before?

Yes and trivial. SSHFS, rclone, expandrive etc etc. anythign that can mount SFTP for example.

@FAT32 said:

@ehab said:
    say Terrahost had a dedicated €15/y deal and you'll see FAT32 fall from his chair if he missed it.

I nearly fall from my chair last time when it happened... I think I am either asleep or half awake at that time but ya that was one of the most insane dedicated server in the LET history (It is €0.95/m btw)

(But CloudCone tops it even further by having a lottery for free recurring dedicated server for life, and I believe @Ympker won it)

That's insane! We have nothing which even electrical is below that cost -- even our 1RU cost is above that.

@emperor said:

@Astro said: rclone ftp mount

sshfs is easier and safer :)

We have noticed SSHFS is very unstable tho, but then again we have HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of mounts. Works fine if you got just a few and servers always stay up. The moment mounted server has any issues your host/mounting server is gonne become a bogged down POS.

@dgc1980 said:

@Astro said: Going to try this tomorrow. Then i can sell my 16TB SYS server to someone who wants it.

I honestly would not recommend this method. as it will be taxing on bandwidth on both servers, very slow seek times etc, you are best off getting google workspace enterprise unlimited google drive and mounting that and syncing to that from the seedbox

We went with internal no caps because then it's not that taxing at all btw. External network sure thing, but not internally. We like to keep internal network as uncongested as possible, sometimes to a detriment on the balance sheet.

Thanked by 2ps20090 FAT32
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@PulsedMedia said:
    seedboxes are a bit support heavy niche too, and extreme on the resources side - so low margin to start with. Also cannot hide behind TOS like "no support", we tried that many years ago, disastrous results. Hiding behind TOS never good thing.

Even "unsustainable deals" there has to be a kernel of sustainability in there. We'd like to celebrate 24th anniversary too, without any involucrations in between ;) ;)

But i am glad you are pushing the envelope. For us even the 8$/Month is very difficult to handle for every day deals (in my book weeks minimum on offer).

For me it is more about celebration and sometimes about giving back, this is what makes this place a community, I would have gotten much more if I only care about money :)

I didn't mention anything about hiding in TOS, it can be written plain in the specials.php page instead, just like how you mentioned about it being non-recurring.

Anyway I do understand business is business and not charity, so I am perfectly fine with it being one-time. This is the similar concept for both buyers and sellers, buyers want to reduce recurring payments that's why we prefer recurring offers, sellers also want to reduce recurring operating costs that's why you prefer one-time offers.

I have no hard feelings, just expressing my concern over my view of it :)

This deal just makes me rethink of my strategy, I always thought of getting recurring offers to build a long-term relation with the provider, but sometimes getting the one-time off might be even more worth it, you also don't have to risk the recurring price changes during your one-time term 🤔

Let's say a hypothetical scenario:

• $1.2 first year, recurring $12/yr
    • Recurring $8/yr

Which one would you choose? 🤔 Comparing the "ROI" it seems first one is good for at least 2 years, before the second option is more valuable in a long run.

Thanked by 2PulsedMedia Ganonk

@FAT32 said: For me it is more about celebration and sometimes about giving back, this is what makes this place a community, I would have gotten much more if I only care about money

True as much! 1.01€/Mo is just that. We actually take a loss on that, heavy one at that too when talking about %.

@FAT32 said: I didn't mention anything about hiding in TOS, it can be written plain in the specials.php page instead, just like how you mentioned about it being non-recurring.

That is hiding behind TOS actually, support is always expected. Cannot bypass that sadly.
    Regardless, we prefer to offer regular support and avoid the headache of determining who gets support and who does not.

We don't want to remove basics & fundamentals at all for the specials, and aim to treat the same everyone. Except it's almost impossible, something about human subconscious, you see low € value on the service and you get way more easily bothered and annoyed @ helpdesk side. But that's besides the point and another lengthy discussion.

@FAT32 said: Anyway I do understand business is business and not charity, so I am perfectly fine with it being one-time. This is the similar concept for both buyers and sellers, buyers want to reduce recurring payments that's why we prefer recurring offers, sellers also want to reduce recurring operating costs that's why you prefer one-time offers.

I have no hard feelings, just expressing my concern over my view of it

Indeed, in that sense it is "2 sides battling each other" ... but yet not really. This community gives us SO much, and at our cost structure even @ 2€/month/service is essentially a loss leader. Everything but electricity, cooling and bandwidth is expensive in Finland. One of the highest taxed countries in the world. For regular things 5-6€/month is a pain threshold, one time payments anything below is 10€ is a bit painful as paypal alone will take something like 7-11% of that ... I'm not even joking.

But we need these 2 sides, and this kind of stuff pushes the envelope. I think with these anniversary specials we found the sweet spot where the community and our cost structure meets quite nicely. Definitely extremely low margin, but the business case for us in these specials is building market recognition AND concrete foundations; a baseline of recurring revenue we know people will most likely keep for the next decade -- then profit margin short term becomes way less relevant and we can do full loss leader lineup :) While we broke many records already on these specials, daily revenue is not one of them.

Like you said, some things are immaterial. This community provides us so much more than the revenue suggests. Hence the namesake specials, without this community we would not have dared to offer them. They are below our cost basis for the first 3-6 years.

Thanks for your feedback, your insight into the market is always appreciated and provides some guidance :)

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • @FAT32 said: Which one would you choose? 🤔

Depends the use case scenario here.. If its setup and forget the 2nd one will be better option. But as we know every year we get better deals for less money so the 1st one is valuable option also. The main thing is hardware here.. Every year providers upgrade to newer hardware for same or less money on the new deals..

Thanked by 2FAT32 PulsedMedia
  • One thing I have found there is always deals, even if its a one off use it enjoy it and don't over think it.

Thanked by 2FAT32 PulsedMedia

@PulsedMedia said:
    We don't want to remove basics & fundamentals at all for the specials, and aim to treat the same everyone. Except it's almost impossible, something about human subconscious, you see low € value on the service and you get way more easily bothered and annoyed @ helpdesk side. But that's besides the point and another lengthy discussion.

I fully understand that, I think the problem is not everyone can manage their expectations, for me personally at this price I don't mind waiting weeks for a reply / resolution.

Indeed, in that sense it is "2 sides battling each other" ... but yet not really. This community gives us SO much, and at our cost structure even @ 2€/month/service is essentially a loss leader. Everything but electricity, cooling and bandwidth is expensive in Finland. One of the highest taxed countries in the world. For regular things 5-6€/month is a pain threshold, one time payments anything below is 10€ is a bit painful as paypal alone will take something like 7-11% of that ... I'm not even joking.

But we need these 2 sides, and this kind of stuff pushes the envelope. I think with these anniversary specials we found the sweet spot where the community and our cost structure meets quite nicely. Definitely extremely low margin, but the business case for us in these specials is building market recognition AND concrete foundations; a baseline of recurring revenue we know people will most likely keep for the next decade -- then profit margin short term becomes way less relevant and we can do full loss leader lineup :) While we broke many records already on these specials, daily revenue is not one of them.

That's kind of unintuitive to me, I didn't study in details but I have the impression that Hetzner / OVH provides services from Finland at a low cost too so the cost should be reasonably manageable, but seems like the costs have gotten too high nowadays.

Anyway, this community is build on top of low endso I can understand the profit margin can be quite limited :joy:

@emperor said:
    Depends the use case scenario here.. If its setup and forget the 2nd one will be better option. But as we know every year we get better deals for less money so the 1st one is valuable option also. The main thing is hardware here.. Every year providers upgrade to newer hardware for same or less money on the new deals..

But there's also inflation, to me I feel the hosting pricing nowadays in US/EU is already at the bottom and will most likely not getting any lower anytime soon in the next few years.

With that said, a lot of things can change in a few years and if Moore's law still hold then ya probably it can still go lower.

@acidpuke said:
    One thing I have found there is always deals, even if its a one off use it enjoy it and don't over think it.

Good point, I should learn to enjoy it more :)

@FAT32 said:
    This deal just makes me rethink of my strategy, I always thought of getting recurring offers to build a long-term relation with the provider, but sometimes getting the one-time off might be even more worth it, you also don't have to risk the recurring price changes during your one-time term 🤔

Let's say a hypothetical scenario:

• $1.2 first year, recurring $12/yr
    • Recurring $8/yr

Which one would you choose? 🤔 Comparing the "ROI" it seems first one is good for at least 2 years, before the second option is more valuable in a long run.

Nice to see not just our (my) views are not being challenged here :) It can feel quickly annoying when one's views are challenged, but that's how we learn and progress :)

To muddy the waters even further on this is that we offer the free bonus storage, on average 25% per service. Further due to how seedboxes and our backend stuff works services get relatively faster the longer you keep them -> less users per server with less activity on average.

This is why our retention rate long term is extremely good for the seedbox niche. We've always been the underdog from the get-go, we began our journey with 9€ investment and 19€ loan. When i started Pulsed Media 12 years ago i could not even afford WHMCS license. Not even kidding. On the first year i even had to sell my car to afford more servers as our first French server provider scammed us for quite large sum of money. I personally spent months on extremely tight "mac & cheese only" budget to get things back on track, but still managed after 6-8 months to turn this into full time thing, and since 2013 we've had our own DC, and from about 2018 we finally let go of the last rented dedi server and were fully on our own hardware, fully income/self funded.

Our competitors has been like bulldogs on the other forum against us, then boasting how they had record low churn rate for the month, and while our worst ones barely exceeded that.

Even our upstream providers keep telling us there is no sense on running on this business, and we should do something with higher profit margin. Yet here we are, year after year getting better :)

-Aleksi

Thanked by 2FAT32 tototo

@FAT32 said: That's kind of unintuitive to me, I didn't study in details but I have the impression that Hetzner / OVH provides services from Finland at a low cost too so the cost should be reasonably manageable, but seems like the costs have gotten too high nowadays.

Anyway, this community is build on top of low endso I can understand the profit margin can be quite limited

Scale, it's all about scale. We are small business, so fixed costs are relatively much much higher. Hetzner has economies of scale on their side by multiple country miles. We have to innovate that much harder, work that much smarter and harder to even get at the same starting point. AND we cannot, Hetzner has some insanely good supply & financing contracts, we did the maths their typical dedi has 24+ Month on HARDWARE ALONE. Add everything else on top of that ...

@FAT32 said: But there's also inflation, to me I feel the hosting pricing nowadays in US/EU is already at the bottom and will most likely not getting any lower anytime soon in the next few years.

With that said, a lot of things can change in a few years and if Moore's law still hold then ya probably it can still go lower.

Inflation indeed, it's been a pain point for us already, and our relative pricing has actually been spiking here and there.

Moore's law does not help on HDD IOPS at all. Does nothing for it, so the minimum rate is climbing one needs to charge if it relies on HDDs.

Thanked by 1FAT32

Few of the "reservations" cancelled again! A few more of the Very @FAT32 available again :)

Thanked by 1FAT32

For some reasons this turned into a lengthy discussion, sorry I am on my mobile now so cant type much.

This story of how Pulsed Media started reminds me if anyone havent read PulsedMedia interview they should: https://lowendbox.com/blog/interview-qa-with-aleksi-ceo-of-pulsedmedia/

Keep up the good work! It is always great to hear a provider who are passionate and work hard :)

Despite I am not a customer, I like your free bonus disk policy a lot, it is something to encourage old users that I rarely see it in other providers. What I see most of the time is existing users got a bad recurring price with outdated specs but new users get the new low pricing with the most recent hardwares, but this bonus disk policy balanced it pretty well.

Thanked by 2PulsedMedia Ganonk
  • I have the 12GB server but when I look at the df -h I see:
    /dev/md1 29T 26T 3.4T 89% /home

Is this a problem?

• @stab said: Is this a problem?

No.. thats for the whole disk.. You should use quota for your tb's :)

@FAT32 said: Despite I am not a customer, I like your free bonus disk policy a lot, it is something to encourage old users that I rarely see it in other providers. What I see most of the time is existing users got a bad recurring price with outdated specs but new users get the new low pricing with the most recent hardwares, but this bonus disk policy balanced it pretty well.

Thanks! It's extremely rare anyone ever mentions this, i don't think this is even the 10th (!!!) out loud said appreciation of that program. First few years we just got complaints about it, go and figure oO;

BUT you cannot fake statistics, and looking at those we always knew people actually appreciate it. People just don't talk about the positive stuff.

We have always as well been silently from public upgrading old users to new specs and new hardware at a slow pace. When hardware fails, or we need to get the oldest hardware out of the way to upcycle the servers (swap larger drives, do full QA routine and then back into production)

It's all of these silent little things which contributes on the industry leading churn rate. Our competitors publicly celebrate if they reach 7% monthly churn -- ours rarely hit that high churn (only after huge specials), and sometimes hit below half of that. Yea, seedboxes are super high churn rate niche.

@stab said:
    I have the 12GB server but when I look at the df -h I see:
    /dev/md1 29T 26T 3.4T 89% /home

Is this a problem?

Nope, our automation makes space free as it's being used. Looks like that server ought to get 600G-1.6T free on the next 24hours or so.

@emperor said:

@stab said: Is this a problem?

No.. thats for the whole disk.. You should use quota for your tb's :)

Exactly this, let us worry about the whole array :)
    If the whole array hits below 200-500G free then there's a problem, just open a ticket and we'll get right on it

Thanked by 2FAT32 Ganonk

Thank You everyone. We definitively broke the 1 day orders record, and 1 day revenue too winded up being on the top 25 :)

• @PulsedMedia grabbed a @FAT32 special and so far impressed with delivery and speed.
    Happy 12th

Thanked by 2PulsedMedia FAT32
  • Arrived late and all products are sold out

• Was not first in line in for the 12T in the end but glad i got one. :)

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • Grabbed one. Congrats!

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia

@fensuiji said:
    Arrived late and all products are sold out

Check below the first line of services. The first line is raffles :)

• I know this has been mentioned before but often http does not re-direct to https on your site, this is even when clicking on purchase links. I had to manually add in the https before checkout. Am using firefox.

• @caracal said:
    I know this has been mentioned before but often http does not re-direct to https on your site, this is even when clicking on purchase links. I had to manually add in the https before checkout. Am using firefox.

+1 For Me. Also, I constantly get logged out from the billing panel for like every 30 seconds.

• Congratz & Happy

btw: The quarterly Astro's MEGA deal is advertised with only 1,2GB memory on the specials page
    whilst it shows 12GB mem on whmcs

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • @PulsedMedia said:
    Thank You everyone. We definitively broke the 1 day orders record, and 1 day revenue too winded up being on the top 25 :)

• Thanks - grabbed a 12TB box and starting to seed S**Hub. Wish you guys all the best.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • Took a 12th Anniversary Community Astro's MEGA, thank you!

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia