Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GSuite Free Legacy Alternatives? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GSuite Free Legacy Alternatives?

Comments

• @kendid said:

@Hakim said:
    Self hosting simplelogin with mxroute for outgoing. So far everything is working great.

This is my setup now.

Don't forget to fill out this form - they may make family gsuites still available (non-business use)
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeY9yv4WGCHvOiJN4tgt3SdsunaVBoT_6rN8un9Q4_lzBKGeA/viewform

This could be the Do-You-Hear-The-People-Sing scenario, but the final effects remain unknown, or pessimistic. I read the post from Google's community, and submitted some time ago. Guess there have been many users/admins who would fill the form.

• thats annoying, but in the end it will work out for the best :)

• @HBHosting said:
    thats annoying, but in the end it will work out for the best :)

Again some BS nonsense post contributing nothing of essence!

• HBHostingHBHosting Member
    edited January 2022

@plumberg said:

@HBHosting said:

It's called empathy, it must be really annoying to have something disappear after using it and relying on it for a while. But adding on to this, have you thought about using Microsoft 365?

• @HBHosting said:

@plumberg said:

@HBHosting said:

It's called empathy, it must be really annoying to have something disappear after using it and relying on it for a while. But adding on to this, have you thought about using Microsoft 365?

Dang! Have you read previous 4.5 pages of this thread?

Thanked by 1HBHosting
  • @plumberg said:

@HBHosting said:

@plumberg said:

@HBHosting said:

You're right, I didn't actually concentrate on how old this post was. I was more just wanting to get my 2 cents in, which is wrong, and I appreciate you pointing this out. I will pay more attention in the future, honestly, excited to join the LET community and understand it more :smile:

• @HBHosting said:

@plumberg said:

@HBHosting said:

@plumberg said:

@HBHosting said:

You're right, I didn't actually concentrate on how old this post was. I was more just wanting to get my 2 cents in, which is wrong, and I appreciate you pointing this out. I will pay more attention in the future, honestly, excited to join the LET community and understand it more :smile:

difficult to buy-in your excitement - if you are really passionate about hosting et all, you would have definitely made a conscious effort and contributed meaningfully. As others have pointed out, this is a ruse for a race to up the post counts to get a hostrep/ provider tag!

Good Luck!

Thanked by 2HBHosting kendid
  • o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited January 2022

@kendid said: Don't forget to fill out this form - they may make family gsuites still available (non-business use)
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeY9yv4WGCHvOiJN4tgt3SdsunaVBoT_6rN8un9Q4_lzBKGeA/viewform

This doesn't look official, where did you got the link?

• @o_be_one said:
    This doesn't look official, where did you got the link?

It seems they got it from here: https://9to5google.com/2022/01/26/g-suite-legacy-free-personal-non-business/

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • This doesn't look official, where did you got the link?

It's official, checkout https://support.google.com/a/answer/60217

and go to "What if I use G Suite legacy free edition for personal use ...."

Don't know if I trust them any more but I do use 2 domains for personal and family use.

• deltatuxdeltatux Member
    edited January 2022

Kind of annoying that give everyone an ultimatum and then seem to be walking it back. They should have offered a smoother exit or lower cost option for personal usage. For non-commercial personal usage, Google Workspace is just very expensive as I'm sure most people at max used it for email and as a sign in to other Google services that are generally offered for free.

If on day 1 they offered a permanent discount plans where they offered Legacy Free plan options but at a reduced price (custom emails, 15GB storage space and other stuff that comes free with regular Google accounts), it would have been an easier pill to swallow.

Due to their announcement, I already started the transition off Google with my family on our domain and paid for new hosting (that was cheap when bought in a multiyear plan). So the fact that they sent out this survey a couple weeks after making this announcement is annoying at best. Plus, who's to say that they don't discontinue whatever they have planned in the future?

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited January 2022

They haven't offered anything now, just gathering data.
    Will it change anything? No one knows. What they will offer? No one knows. Will they offer anything or this is just hidden form-entry to avoid class action suite?

Anyway I still haven't got any e-mails about "Upgrade to Google Workspace" until now, but I have like 3 users so there is chance I was kinda low on the priority of e-mails and it's probably stopped for now. Or this is because I am no more at Google EU/USA, I am Google PL. Oh wait, I got "[Action Advised] Review new Workspace search history control for users" but this seems to be a different topic :)

• @JabJab said:
    They haven't offered anything now, just gathering data.
    Will it change anything? No one knows. What they will offer? No one knows. Will they offer anything or this is just hidden form-entry to avoid class action suite?

Anyway I still haven't got any e-mails about "Upgrade to Google Workspace" until now, but I have like 3 users so there is chance I was kinda low on the priority of e-mails and it's probably stopped for now. Or this is because I am no more at Google EU/USA, I am Google PL. Oh wait, I got "[Action Advised] Review new Workspace search history control for users" but this seems to be a different topic :)

I have only 2 Users and I just received the email a few hours. I guess it's hard to avoid ;)

Thanked by 1giang
  • I just found out Google has a Workspace Individual plan, but costs $9.99/mo (!. Maybe that was CAD and not USD). Is Google dropping the ball hard, or what?

• iNanjaiNanja Member
    edited January 2022

@TimboJones said:
    I just found out Google has a Workspace Individual plan, but costs $9.99/mo (!. Maybe that was CAD and not USD). Is Google dropping the ball hard, or what?

This is in USD

Why's it more expensive then business starter, even with the discounts. It doesn't even include custom domain emails.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @iNanja said:

@TimboJones said:
    I just found out Google has a Workspace Individual plan, but costs $9.99/mo (!. Maybe that was CAD and not USD). Is Google dropping the ball hard, or what?

This is in USD

Why's it more expensive then business starter, even with the discounts. It doesn't even include custom domain emails.

It mentions some "appointment booking system" which seems to be a web portal for letting users make appointment directly in your calender, and it also mentions some email marketing functions.
    But it just feels...unfinished. Who the hell would do mass email marketing from a @gmail.com address?

• mwtmwt Member

I encountered this today. I haven't tested it, but it looks promising: https://500mail.com/pricing

Thanked by 2kidrock mart
  • I was thinking of moving to either Protonmail or Tutanota for better privacy but they are so expensive for that low storage.

Will be temporarily moving to iCloud+, anyone knows if we can create separate mailboxes or just aliases?

Also, unrelated, can we easily transfer Youtube subscriptions and playlists to regular Gmail? 😅

If only Google has a flat rate for <5 users and low storage, I could have stayed.

• afnafn Member

@sanmax88 said: Also, unrelated, can we easily transfer Youtube subscriptions and playlists to regular Gmail? 😅

Yes you can. Make it public on the other account then do this:
    https://webapps.stackexchange.com/a/154530/272868

• @afn said:

@sanmax88 said: Also, unrelated, can we easily transfer Youtube subscriptions and playlists to regular Gmail? 😅

Yes you can. Make it public on the other account then do this:
    https://webapps.stackexchange.com/a/154530/272868

Oh wow, thanks for this!

• Seems google bended https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/01/google-relents-legacy-g-suite-users-will-be-able-to-migrate-to-free-accounts/

They will slowly suffocate free users by introducing "limits". Still better approach than brutal conversion.

Thanked by 1BlueSquares
  • @trycatchthis said:
    When CPanel had the increase the clear answer was DirectAdmin.

There is no clear answer here as yet.

Zoho Free [no pop/imap/smtp]
    Mail.ru
    Yandex.ru
    Shared Hosting Account $ varies with providers
    Self Hosted $ varies with providers, sysadmin knowledge required
    MX Route $65/year/50GB
    Zoho Paid $24/year/Account
    Office 365 Outlook $60/year/Account
    GSuite $72/Account/Year

We need to compile all the options.

Mail.ru and Yandex.ru aren't secure because they are in Russia.

• BlueSquaresBlueSquares Member
    edited January 2022

@netguy said:
    Mail.ru and Yandex.ru aren't secure because they are in Russia.

Thanks for mentioning it. That's a big deal-breaker for them.

@mwt said:
    I encountered this today. I haven't tested it, but it looks promising: https://500mail.com/pricing

Does anyone have any experience with 500mail? The free account has 1 custom domain and 15gb storage.

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks like their service just started on Jan 11, 2022. Prior to that, it was a deleted domain. A quick startup that suddenly appeared when Google announced the death of G Suite Legacy? Could be smart marketing, but longevity is a concern. They're hosted on Amazon Cloudfront.

It is hosted by: Amazon.com, Inc.
    WHOIS information: Click here
    Organization name: AWS CloudFront (GLOBAL)
    IP address: 99.84.125.89
    AS(autonomous system) number and organization: AS16509 Amazon.com, Inc.
    AS name: AMAZON-02
    Reverse DNS of the IP: server-99-84-125-89.ewr52.r.cloudfront.net
    City: Newark

Thanked by 1mwt
  • edited February 2022

I have been testing the Zoho mail trial. So far I think it's pretty good coming from over a decade using Gsuite. It appears to be designed as a drop-in replacement so it seems to have all the same features.

• boomerboomer Member

I'm late to the discussion, and with days before legacy G-suite ends. I have a domain with just one user but it is for commercial use, so cannot continue with G-Suite. I'm actually considering Apple's iCloud+, which is only $12/year and allows for custom domain and 50GB of storage. I don't use iCloud for photos or anything like that. Just something else to consider if all you need is email for up to three custom domains and (I believe) up to five users.

• @boomer said:
    I'm late to the discussion, and with days before legacy G-suite ends. I have a domain with just one user but it is for commercial use, so cannot continue with G-Suite. I'm actually considering Apple's iCloud+, which is only $12/year and allows for custom domain and 50GB of storage. I don't use iCloud for photos or anything like that. Just something else to consider if all you need is email for up to three custom domains and (I believe) up to five users.

I think people shat on that already as being iOS/webmail only.

Thanked by 1boomer
  • szarkaszarka Member

@mart said:
    I am now looking for advice on CHEAP, reliable, secure email hosting services for 4 custom domains. Each domain needing about 10 email addresses and about 2gb storage per account. The host must provide standard POP/IMAP access.

Zoho free tier may have worked, but they no longer provide POP/IMAP and $1/user/month is too expensive.

At that price point, maybe look at Dreamhost.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Shot2Shot2 Member

I use Purelymail. Check their offer and see if it fits.

• So what is the hard date to upgrade? I cant keep up with the google nonsense but have a legacy account with 20 active users.

• @sidewinder said:
    So what is the hard date to upgrade? I cant keep up with the google nonsense but have a legacy account with 20 active users.

You can't search your own goddamn gmail account for your migration date? You definitely don't deserve a legacy account.

Thanked by 1boomer