Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GSuite Free Legacy Alternatives? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GSuite Free Legacy Alternatives?

Comments

• @skorupion said:

Contact google support, not google domains support. They are discussing the like 10 bucks per year domain that is used.

Yea, you are probably right. I chose to contact domains support, because contacting google support in non paid support is the most impossible thing. It only leads to community support, and they are as clueless as I am. If I want to actually contact google support, I have to upgrade my account to paid.

• @iNanja said:

@skorupion said:

Contact google support, not google domains support. They are discussing the like 10 bucks per year domain that is used.

Yea, you are probably right. I chose to contact domains support, because contacting google support in non paid support is the most impossible thing. It only leads to community support, and they are as clueless as I am. If I want to actually contact google support, I have to upgrade my account to paid.

Google is offering 50% off for the first year from July 2022 to July 2023. Even 70-85% off in some countries. You can use a 10% off coupon to further discount it. Coupon can be easily found using Google search.

For example in India, you can pay $0.85/user/month for the first 12 months starting July 2021. In some other countries it's $1.8/user/month.

After July 2023, prices will be normal $6/user/month.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@TheKiller said:

@iNanja said:

@skorupion said:

Google is offering 50% off for the first year from July 2022 to July 2023. Even 70-85% off in some countries. You can use a 10% off coupon to further discount it. Coupon can be easily found using Google search.

For example in India, you can pay $0.85/user/month for the first 12 months starting July 2021. In some other countries it's $1.8/user/month.

but once again there is a class action lawsuit if I remember correctly going on.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • @TheKiller said:

It is possible to use a coupon in addition to the discounted price ?

As someone in the UK, is it possible to pay the India price by using eg a VPN ??

• @happyman said:

As someone in the UK, is it possible to pay the India price by using eg a VPN ??

Yea, VPN shows you different prices, but when you try to upgrade it won't work. Someone tried this already. xD

• @skorupion said: but once again there is a class action lawsuit if I remember correctly going on.

Google could face class action lawsuit over free G Suite legacy account shutdown

That seems to mainly be concerned with transferring any purchases to a different account, but I wouldn't expect it to have any effect on ending the free plan.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited January 2022

@happyman said:

@TheKiller said:

Yes, coupon can be used on top of the discounted price.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited January 2022

@frakass said: inbox.eu? from what I know they have very low price for mailbox. ($3/y for 100G iirc)

Pricing is undeniably attractive but no idea when it might revert back to 9.99

Edit - iirc the trial is 3/y without pop and premium with pop is 9.99 per email per year

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@kendid said:
    What I'm thinking of doing - appreciate feedback. I have it setup already and is working great - just not sure if this is the best way! Seems to let me use my domain with gmail

1. Setup mx records to Mxroute @jar
    2. Setup DKIM, DMARC, and SPF records
    3. Setup Letsencrypt for mail.domain.com (really easy on mxroute!)
    4. Setup Mxroute Forwarder for email address to regular gmail account
    5. In my regular gmail account, under settings. Setup mail.domain.com as my SMTP server with SSL encryption (which would be through mxroute) and set as default

Reason for doing it this way? I really like gmail's web interface and integration in my android phone. Plus I won't need to retrain family members and wife acceptance factor should be ok.

It seems to work great, and when sending mail I don't get the "sent on behalf of" message. So my phone is only connected to Gmail, but I'm using mxroute for all the backend mail handling.

Curious for feedback from people with a strong background in this stuff. Is this practical, viable?

Plenty do it and very few have any complaints about it. It's not flawless but if you don't see the problems it's better not to go looking for them. What tends to annoy me are the tickets where people angrily demand that it's my one and only job to support this setup by compensating for what Google does wrong (because despite not choosing Google as their provider, it's indisputable that they are flawless, I guess).

Thanked by 2kendid yoursunny
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@jar said:

@kendid said:
    What I'm thinking of doing - appreciate feedback. I have it setup already and is working great - just not sure if this is the best way! Seems to let me use my domain with gmail

5. In my regular gmail account, under settings. Setup mail.domain.com as my SMTP server with SSL encryption (which would be through mxroute) and set as default

Reason for doing it this way? I really like gmail's web interface and integration in my android phone. Plus I won't need to retrain family members and wife acceptance factor should be ok.

It seems to work great, and when sending mail I don't get the "sent on behalf of" message. So my phone is only connected to Gmail, but I'm using mxroute for all the backend mail handling.

Curious for feedback from people with a strong background in this stuff. Is this practical, viable?

Plenty do it and very few have any complaints about it. It's not flawless but if you don't see the problems it's better not to go looking for them. What tends to annoy me are the tickets where people angrily demand that it's my one and only job to support this setup by compensating for what Google does wrong (because despite not choosing Google as their provider, it's indisputable that they are flawless, I guess).

charge 5 eur per account migrated and 1 eur per gb migrated.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Rockster said:

@mart said: Did some research on icloud+ option. Apparently you must use apple ecosystem for this option.

To me it seems like this isn't required unless I am looking something wrong?

Windows PC
    Open iCloud for Windows.
    Click Storage.
    Select Backup from the items listed.
    Select one of the device backups, then click Delete. If you want to turn off Backup and remove all backups for that device from iCloud, choose Delete when you're asked to confirm.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204247

I don't have an apple ecosystem, no icloud, no apple login, no apple family. 1mailbox per family member, this is really just for personal use.

• ZOHO is a great resource. It was basic looks and kinda mocks google. works well and have not had any rejected emails

• Thanks everyone for some really great advise.

Weighing the options for my needs, it appears MXroute is my best option to get multiple domains and multiple mailboxes for each. Plus, he really seems to have worked hard to build the reputation and offerings of his service. Will wait a month or two to see what news comes from Google on possible deals, but not expecting to stay with them much longer. In the mean time see if Jar offers any more deals through LowEndBox before googles deadline. Really wish I had taken the $99 lifetime deal when I saw it on Black-Friday, but who knew back then.

Thanks Again for the great response.

• AstroAstro Member
    edited January 2022

@mart said:
    Thanks everyone for some really great advise.

Weighing the options for my needs, it appears MXroute is my best option to get multiple domains and multiple mailboxes for each. Plus, he really seems to have worked hard to build the reputation and offerings of his service. Will wait a month or two to see what news comes from Google on possible deals, but not expecting to stay with them much longer. In the mean time see if Jar offers any more deals through LowEndBox before googles deadline. Really wish I had taken the $99 lifetime deal when I saw it on Black-Friday, but who knew back then.

Thanks Again for the great response.

I believe the $99 lifetime deal night return again on blackfriday. Although $175 - https://accounts.mxroute.com/index.php?/news/view/12/lifetime-promo/ seems like a pretty great deal too.

@jar

• If you bought your domain from Google Domains you can have 100 free email forwardings or if you have a small email account requirement you can check out https://purelymail.com for $10 a year.

Thanked by 1mart
  • @kendid said:

Since you are using forwarder anyways -

1. For inbound: ImprovMX is a free alternative with good enough limit.
    2. For outbound: use any transactional Email service like Mailchimp, SparkPost, etc. Setup DKIM, DMARC and SPF.
    3. Do the same thing on your Gmail for SMTP.
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited January 2022

@iNanja said:

@aRNoLD said:
    judging from prev/preceding posts and replies, gmail and alike will disappear but youtube will remain. my understanding on this is that, gmail is a cost for alpha, but ytb is a source of profit, collecting user data for alpha. ytb normally doesn't produce or require additional storage and maintenance costs.

I currently have not received any notice or announcement frm alpha/google. that's a bit weird.

I haven't received any notification from them either. I asked the google domains department what will happen to my domains and email since I can't afford to upgrade. I don't really understand their response.

I think they mean it is free email service connected to my domain so I don't have to upgrade my subscription? I am guessing they are saying if I keep renewing my domain in google domains I can keep using it for email? My domains I use for the account is same as my legacy account.

They said

"Thank you for contacting the Google Domains Support Team.

Your G Suite legacy emails (now known as Google Workspace) ,is a free email service connected to your domain. You don't have to upgrade your subscription because you will lose your free service. I understand you are under financial stress right now. Your domain goes under an annual lifecycle and needs to be renewed. If you fail to renew the domains, they will be deleted and your emails will stop working."

Maybe someone can translate it better for me?

You asked the wrong department. Google domains has nearly nothing to do with Legacy G suite. Their answer pertains to your annual domain name registration.

Edit: already answered. The Google community is the free support.

• @TimboJones said:
    Edit: already answered. The Google community is the free support.

Thanks, I tried using their google community, but my support questions kept getting spammed with random peoples replies asking for help getting access to their accounts claiming they got stolen and other reasons like that.

• @cnbeining said:

2. For outbound: use any transactional Email service like Mailchimp, SparkPost, etc. Setup DKIM, DMARC and SPF.

Just tried ImprovMX - it does allow forwarding and catchall... BUT delivery from gmail via ImprvMX to a forwarded address is taking over 13 minutes. So totally useless if email is being used for verificatio etc.

• @cnbeining said:

Never been impressed with the speed of ImprovMX and it seems alot of self promotion from several online accounts. Not to mention the many limitations it provides on their free platform.

• My preferred email providers:

1) Rackspace - Super solid and reliable.

2) MX Route - It simply works!

3) Mailcheap.co (I am not 100% happy with them. It works for very low volume users. Not good for small businesses, or Shopify store owner with a lot of orders where communication with customers is important and a must.)

Last, I’m testing DirectAdmin for email self hosting.

• Google is sending the notices in waves. My single email user - legacy account already received the noticed 2 days ago.

So I think there will be no exceptions. Better pay up or migrate!

• Thanks for sharing all advices LET :D! I've few services to check, seems interesting.
    Surprised by the Cloudflare + gmail + AWS SES solution, seems quite great if AWS had no mention against "personal mailbox" ; i mean i would be willing to do this move as well because AWS SES for few mails would be dirty cheap (i think i'm paying less than 0.5 USD for like 5'000 mails).

On my side i'm thankful to @jar for keeping the same price on MXRoute for accounts with subscription since years bought during BF ; dirty cheap compared to price on all providers we can see around today! Moving to MXRoute for my non profit is actually considered ^^.

• @the_doctor said: The Cloudflare beta mail product simply forwards the mails for a domain to another email. Ie. [email protected] -> [email protected] From what I can see you can do it for many different addresses.

@nfn said: For email only, Cloudflare Email Routing + Gmail + SES is an excellent choice.

Late to the party, but i've found this tutorial and i'm like "hey wtf? Still using GMail as SMTP for a custom domain with different MX setup?" which surely could work with CloudFlare as well i guess..
    https://improvmx.com/guides/gsuite-legacy-free-edition-alternative/

• Just set up email with forwardemail.net, works great. Send and receive email using custom domain, backend from free gmail account. Free.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited January 2022

@Dazzle said: Just set up email with forwardemail.net, works great. Send and receive email using custom domain, backend from free gmail account. Free.

I've seen on the "new" PrivacyTools.io and the old now known as "PrivacyGuide" the service "https://simplelogin.io/" and it absolutely blowned my mind when i've read "you receive your alias on your private mail, and you can answer it it will forward your answer with its address". Now i'm like "fuck yes this solution may be future proof to me even for personal uses!".

Thanks for sharing forwardemail.net, definitevely cause of your share i wanted to know more about this kind of services. I'll have to compare the service that may fit the most my needs and that is the most privacy friendly.

Edit: changed url from where i've found SimpleLogin + added that i will read more about those services

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • Regarding CloudFlare Routing Email and AWS SES, i've discovered that Firefox Relay rely on AWS SES as well (it 's in their FAQ), intersting point to check.

• HakimHakim Member
    edited January 2022

Self hosting simplelogin with mxroute for outgoing. So far everything is working great.

• @Hakim said:
    Self hosting simplelogin with mxroute for outgoing. So far everything is working great.

This is my setup now.

Don't forget to fill out this form - they may make family gsuites still available (non-business use)
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeY9yv4WGCHvOiJN4tgt3SdsunaVBoT_6rN8un9Q4_lzBKGeA/viewform

• @kendid said:
    Don't forget to fill out this form - they may make family gsuites still available (non-business use)
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeY9yv4WGCHvOiJN4tgt3SdsunaVBoT_6rN8un9Q4_lzBKGeA/viewform

Submitted, thank you.