Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GSuite Free Legacy Alternatives? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GSuite Free Legacy Alternatives?

Comments

• ardaarda Member
    edited January 2022

I'd check yandex mail. Limited version is still free.

• @typicalGtaTG said:
    Not sure if I'm missing something here but how expensive is it for the Google Workspace Starter? I have 2 accounts with them on 2 domains and it only costs me ~$2/user/month and comes with 30GB Storage for each user.

It's been the best solution I've been able to find so far after been hopping providers from my mailing for so many years.

4,68 € per user/month here :(.

• @the_doctor said:

@darkimmortal said:
    And get yourself listed on dnswl.org.

€65 a year to be listed seems to be the cheapest subscription? Doesn't seem worth it for me and my family. Do they offer additional discounts?

It is free to be listed, you pay to query it (not needed)

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @darkimmortal said:

@the_doctor said:

@darkimmortal said:
    And get yourself listed on dnswl.org.

€65 a year to be listed seems to be the cheapest subscription? Doesn't seem worth it for me and my family. Do they offer additional discounts?

It is free to be listed, you pay to query it (not needed)

Ahh, nice to know. Thanks! :)

• It is time to set up your own mail server. Start with mailinabox.email and a yearly cheap (clean IP) VPS (with min 512MB and rDNS). ;)

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

iCloud is cheap for emails

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@iqbal said:
    It is time to set up your own mail server. Start with mailinabox.email and a yearly cheap (clean IP) VPS (with min 512MB and rDNS). ;)

Not a good option if you require excellent deliverability.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @darkimmortal said:
    Just fire off a couple of emails to Microsoft/Outlook and Gmail support if you run into deliverability issues. They've never caused me any trouble once they realise you are an actual human running a small personal server. And get yourself listed on dnswl.org. Never had any issues with this approach for small scale personal and transactional mail, for well over a decade now of running my own mail server across various provider/IP changes

You can just ignore uceprotect, maybe once in a blue moon you'll run into delivery issues with some shared host that is rejecting mail based on it, but it's not a problem with delivering to the big free mail providers

Thanks, Will definitely try this approach for at least one of my domains.

• @host4cheap said:
    @jar Can you run a GSuite refugee rescue offer similar to BF for LET members

Sorry, being a newb, could you please explain in more detail?

Thanks

• @iNanja said:
    I just got approved for the cloudflare email routing beta, I applied 3 weeks ago. Just in time for losing g suite. Now I can just forward everything to a free gmail account.

Are all accounts for one domain then routed to a single mail address? I have a total of about 15 people across these domains.

• @jar said:

@biangkerok said:
    maybe somebody has experience with MailChannels Outbound Delivery? i do have a shared hosted website with that feature, perhaps how is it compared with mxroute?

MXroute used to send through MC, but I got tired of all of the complaints. I get far less now.

Does MXroute still route through MC? This looked one of the most attractive options?

• the_doctorthe_doctor Member
    edited January 2022

@mart said:

@iNanja said:
    I just got approved for the cloudflare email routing beta, I applied 3 weeks ago. Just in time for losing g suite. Now I can just forward everything to a free gmail account.

Are all accounts for one domain then routed to a single mail address? I have a total of about 15 people across these domains.

The Cloudflare beta mail product simply forwards the mails for a domain to another email. Ie. [email protected] -> [email protected] From what I can see you can do it for many different addresses.

Thanked by 1mart
  • Thanks. Interesting option, are all of their mail servers routed through Europe?

• It looks like you are fully into google mail (that's their plan on you :naughty: ). cPanel mail is cheap but the mail/junk mail filter/scanner and security level is not good as google/office365/zoho .

if $1/user/month is not affordable, the only way is move to free mail solution gmail/15gb/user, outlook/hotmail/5gb/user.

Actually not, I do have a couple of non-critical email servers running postfix and managed through webmin/Virtual min. If I could get them all hosted for about $50-60/year that would be great, but $1/usr/mth would be 10 times that.

• When you subscribe to iCloud+, you can use up to five custom domains to send and receive email with iCloud Mail. Learn how to get started.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212514

Checkout iCloud+

Wow that's great, had never even considered Apple. It appears that I could set up all my domains and get all the addresses with calendaring for as little as $12/year for 50GB. Does anybody here have experience using iCloud+ for an email server?

• @mart said:

When you subscribe to iCloud+, you can use up to five custom domains to send and receive email with iCloud Mail. Learn how to get started.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212514

Checkout iCloud+

Wow that's great, had never even considered Apple. It appears that I could set up all my domains and get all the addresses with calendaring for as little as $12/year for 50GB. Does anybody here have experience using iCloud+ for an email server?

Up to five domain, and up to three email addresses per domain....

Thanked by 1mart
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@mart said: Does MXroute still route through MC? This looked one of the most attractive options?

No, got tired of the complaints, we (Me and Louis) set up something that works like it but better (in my opinion, which is admittedly based on the complaints stopping) using our own IPs. It's not a lack of humility that has me claiming it's the best outbound delivery in the world, it's merely me being finally satisfied that my continued work is producing the result I desired. If I could pay for better results I would, I'm happy to report that I'm unaware of a way to do so.

Basically, it's the same deal of: If an email is rejected due to IP reputation the IP is pulled for a cooldown period to be cleaned, and the email is sent from another IP. This retries multiple times if needed and finally, if it continues to fail from different IPs, it goes out to SpamWall where delivery is attempted from several external/third party IPs for up to 24 hours before finally considering delivery a failure.

The problem we had with the other outbound provider was that their outbound filter caught too much email that customers intended to send and that had no recognizable reason to be halted. Then we'd have to go in circles with support for a while, only sometimes to resolution. Then there were the outages where they would drop connections but continually tell us nothing was wrong. We still halt outbound mail with a filter and outages happen everywhere, but the reasons for filtering are better (and more negotiable in some cases) and complaints are almost nonexistent. Plus, now instead of filing tickets I can actually solve problems.

I fear this is the clearest thought I'll share today as the fever ramps up again. Every morning. COVID-19 is the energizer bunny of viruses. Forgive me if any further answers today are not as detailed.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@mart said: Both of my servers are on Racknerd, who I love as a VPS service provider, but both address blocks are always flagged as blacklisted on UCEProtect3, which at very least affects any mail sent to google mail servers.

Address blocks or your specific IP? I check my IPs via multi-RBL checker at https://bgp.he.net/, on OVH and Online.net of all places, and they are not listed. Is there something wrong specifically with RackNerd?

Oh and btw you don't want both of your mail servers to be at the same provider, when running your own.

@arda said: I'd check yandex mail. Limited version is still free.

This is a dead-end route, to jump between various "still free" options as they disappear or become more limited one by one.

Thanked by 1mart
  • @jar said:
    Can't justify a promo with support wait times.

What if promise to not open any tickets?

@BarkingIron said:

@jar said:

Help me ensure longevity, I'm priced to be able to grow the operation ❤️

Thanked by 2Astro kkrajk
  • @jar said:

@BarkingIron said:

@jar said:

Well then can in that case, I'll pick up another sub for a year. Will that stack on my lifetime plan?

Thanked by 1jar
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jar said:
    I fear this is the clearest thought I'll share today as the fever ramps up again. Every morning. COVID-19 is the energizer bunny of viruses. Forgive me if any further answers today are not as detailed.

I logged into MXlogin last Wednesday and became sick on Thursday, and have been coughing since.
    Now I know where I got the virus from.

Thanked by 1jar

@BarkingIron said:

@jar said:

@BarkingIron said:

@jar said:

Well then can in that case, I'll pick up another sub for a year. Will that stack on my lifetime plan?

It would be a second and separate service. You could put different domains on different services but it's noteworthy that you can't stretch one domain across more than one service.

• titustitus Member
    edited January 2022

I have an old domain name with free Google Apps - newer name GSuite. It was good, so i'm not happy. (I used it for an alternative mail, testing, etc). I will change my domain mx records to my own mail server, and forget Google Apps forever :) :/

Good practice, idea from Google to get rid of old free users, or force them to pay for the same service what was free previously. (Google Workspace - This is the third new name for the same service?)

• I have no clue why all of you guys are hesitating to setup a small mailserver yourself. Its not rocket science. Runs on 512 mb vps with 1 core.

Thanked by 1titus
  • @fLoo said:
    I have no clue why all of you guys are hesitating to setup a small mailserver yourself. Its not rocket science. Runs on 512 mb vps with 1 core.

Because many of us have been there, done that, and have zero interest in ever doing it again.

Depends on the need. Anyone can run an inbound mail server, and anyone can deliver mail to most service providers. As always though I recommend that if you get an IP that can reach AT&T, Verizon, Yahoo, AOL, Gmail, and Hotmail without reputation issues, never let that IP go. Most people don't need to email all of those providers anyway.

...but if you do need to email all of those providers from one place, that rarely works from just any old IP.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

@mart said:
    Hi All,
    Suggestions/help?

If those are really legit mails and not used for spam/scam or bulk mail marketing, I can help with a VM, clean IP and advice on how to setup stuff properly.
    Please send me a PM with your budget for this.

• I'll rather switch to pigeon post and smoke signals than host an email server ever again.
    Nevertheless, it was to be expected, I just wish they had a cheap, basic, mail-only version of GSuite, I really don't care about any of the other services.

Thanked by 3kkrajk arda o_be_one
  • @fLoo said:
    I have no clue why all of you guys are hesitating to setup a small mailserver yourself. Its not rocket science. Runs on 512 mb vps with 1 core.

It's a PITFA and nowhere near as good as gmail.