Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the advantages of using a Windows VPS? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the advantages of using a Windows VPS?

Comments

• zxrlhazxrlha Member
    edited December 2021

MJJ love Windows,
    they will change all Linux VPS into Windows.

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@TimboJones said: Ubuntu got millions of new users? Or just more support calls?

No, Microsoft used their marketing muscle to make Dell install Windows!

Uh, they already were selling Windows? In the end, users found out they could get a credit for Windows and use Linux instead. Not sure what exactly your issue is.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited December 2021

@TimboJones said: Not sure what exactly your issue is.

Not in the mood to spell it out to you (and I'd probably forget all the details anyway) - go do your own history research. My memory is poor in a lot of cases but I do remember quite a few things.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@TimboJones said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

@TimboJones said: Ubuntu got millions of new users? Or just more support calls?

No, Microsoft used their marketing muscle to make Dell install Windows!

Uh, they already were selling Windows? In the end, users found out they could get a credit for Windows and use Linux instead. Not sure what exactly your issue is.

In India, Dell was selling desktops and laptops with PC-DOS, to cut down on selling price. It was widely known that users were installing “OS of their choice”

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@TimboJones said: Not sure what exactly your issue is.

Not in the mood to spell it out to you (and I'd probably forget all the details anyway) - go do your own history research. My memory is poor in a lot of cases but I do remember quite a few things.

Yes, my memory was that gave Ubuntu a shitload of credibility and increased market share. So i did want to know in what way this harmed Ubuntu or users.

• @Arkas said:
    I've never used one before, all my VPSs and dedis run linux, but I see some providers offering Windows VPS. My most obvious question is that of security. How secure are they? I assume one advantage might be running .NET frameworks on them, but what else?

I have vision problems, can see but hard to read, so I have a program that converts the test to speech and can read the system clipboard, date, time and texts in some applications. However, it only works on Windows, so I have a server running on Windows and connect to this specific application as a remoteapp and this way I read the linux clipboard and other elements;) I know that this is an unusual way of use, but since you ask;)

Thanked by 2Arkas tjn
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

deleted - posted in wrong thread

• @KermEd said:

@rcy026 said:

If you are trying to insult me with "yo mama", good luck. She's been dead for over 30 years, I couldn't care less. Also, I'm not from the part of the world that uses trailer homes, so again an assumption pulled out of your ass.

Well, that would explain why she just lays there most of the time. But it doesn't stop her from waffle wrestling. As for the trailer, I know it's not yours. Moms bought it from her bingo winnings and is letting you stay there until you can get back on your feet.

Your desperate attempts at being funny is actually just pathetic and sad. If this is your idea of humour I feel sorry for you.
    I'm not one to kick a man when his down so I'll leave you alone.

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@rcy026 said: I just realized that that might have sounded like I was calling you a wannabe. That was not my intention, since I have no clue about who you are or your qualifications.

No, just that I had no clue what I was talking about and a complete plonker with regards to IT. ;)
    Try experience of CP/M (pre-DOS), various DOS incarnations including with the likes of SuperCalc, Windoze since the first Pagemaker, Unix since the venerable SysVR4.2 plus SCO, Novell etc..
    Various roles from Support through some programming, network engineering and Enterprise Management
    Oh and a Masters in IT Systems Integration - not that the piece of paper means anything. :neutral:

And still, you have not learned to chose the right tool for the job? That's actually fascinating.

I am pleased to see that there's an option to strip Windoze from the GUI (deliberately worded that way:not before time!) and with that it may become a more suitable server OS.

Well, you are now proving exactly the point I've been trying to make.
    Obviously, you do not think that a server OS should have a GUI. That's fair, that is your opinion, I'm not going to question it.
    But if that is the case, then why in the hell would you ever chose to run Windows on a server? That really does not make any sense. If you think that a server OS should not have a gui, then why would you pick the only server OS that have a gui?
    Why not simply run whatever flavour of foss that suits you, and you would have saved yourself the long and bitter experience of "Windoze".

• @rcy026 said: Why not simply run whatever flavour of foss that suits you, and you would have saved yourself the long and bitter experience of "Windoze".

99.9% of the time I had no choice; the OS/applications decisions having already being made by "higher up", or simply in later life, the clients' pre-existing infrastructure. Only now do I work in isolation (just as well, all things considered).

• Windows Server 2008 Core … does not have GUI interface. It has been 13 years since Windows Server has that option.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@AlwaysSkint said:
    piss poor basic underlying architecture of the OS, though 'stealing' ideas gradually from other OSes is closing the gap. IMHumbleO.

In fact Windows was originally based on OS/2 code co-developed with IBM. So yes, they did steal and way more than just some ideas. Otoh though those roots actually were/are not "piss poor", quite the contrary, but then, let us not forget that stealing good concepts and ideas and then turning them into a piss poor nightmare is one of Microsoft's real strengths.

@dev_vps said:
    In MS SQL Server, I can write a stored procedure in c# language, make a REST API call to consume data on the fly (for example- weather for next 5 days for a given input zipcode) and data would be returned by stored procedure as if data is being presented from a table, not from a live rest api data.

This shows how well different technologies are integrated with MS SQL Server.

Or maybe it rather shows how Microsoft rammed their .Net stuff into everything that didn't run away fast enough.
    Whatever, one can do almost everything with Unix, in part even foss, solutions too. My personal and granted, not exactly loving Microsoft take is that their "strength" is to make many things reachable/feasible, uhm, for Windows users (I want to stay polite).

If only they weren't the by far worst offenders of "keep it simple!", "simple" not as in "even a clueless idiot can somehow click together something vaguely looking like a solution" but as in "- especially not necessary - complexity is the enemy of solidity and reliability and safety/security".
    He didn't know it but actually Antoine de Saint-Exupéry had nailed down one of the most important guidelines of good IT: "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

An important principle Microsoft is well known to utterly ignore.

• Then why top five financial institutions are using MS SQL Sever instances in such high numbers

• @dev_vps said:
    Then why top five financial institutions are using MS SQL Sever instances in such high numbers

Well because they could..

edited December 2021

@dev_vps said: It has been 13 years since Windows Server has that option.

.. about the same length of time since I "left the rat race" and thankfully having little need to even boot desktop Windows, let alone go near a server with it. ;)

edited December 2021

@dev_vps said:
    Then why top five financial institutions are using MS SQL Sever instances in such high numbers

That may have - and highly likely actually has - diverse reasons like "the others do it too", "there is a sheet of paper for it" (e.g. "certification"), "that's what we most easily get (preferably cheap) employees for", etc.

As for the technical/professional significance let me tell you a true story (I happen(ed) to work quite a bit with fintech/banks etc.):
    A major european bank took over another major european bank, but the two had rather different IT, records, formats, etc. Their solution? A bunch of typists transferring the data - by hand. That's the real world (as opposed to everybody-smiles marketing material articles in IT magazines, blogs, etc that in one way or another are bought and paid for, and so on).

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2021

@jsg said:
    A major european bank took over another major european bank, but the two had rather different IT, records, formats, etc. Their solution? A bunch of typists transferring the data - by hand.

Fuck, that's dumb. So many errors will be introduced. That really is a sign of incompetence. This is what you do when you have cheap labour and no skills.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    It doesn't however excuse the piss poor basic underlying architecture of the OS, though 'stealing' ideas gradually from other OSes is closing the gap. IMHumbleO.

What specifically is the piss poor basic underlying architecture you're referring to? The windows kernel has been updated on every windows release. You're aware that windows 11 WSL is now at the point where it does many things faster than Linux on same bare metal hardware?

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2021

Post fail

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@dev_vps said: It has been 13 years since Windows Server has that option.

.. about the same length of time since I "left the rat race" and thankfully having little need to even boot desktop Windows, let alone go near a server with it. ;)

I hate to have to point it out, but 13 years is fuckin forever in IT. If you have no experience with Windows in the past 13 years, your opinion is actually totally irrelevant.

13 years ago people were running Windows Vista, and if that is what you base your experience on then I can understand why you hate Windows so much. But luckily, that was 13 years ago, and things change.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
    edited December 2021

@rcy026 said: your opinion is actually totally irrelevant.

This laptop has Win10 'squeezed' on it.
    Servers probably had NT/Win200x (or whatever the equivalent server version was) on them. I had to work with the disparities of AD/domain authentication across LAN/WAN, software delivery, asset management and other enterprise level activities. Plus still supporting end lusers with faulty mice/keyboards and other "trivia".

/end comments

• MS Windows is good to explore your computer from Internet.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @AlwaysSkint said:

@rcy026 said: your opinion is actually totally irrelevant.

This laptop has Win10 'squeezed' on it.
    Servers probably had NT/Win200x (or whatever the equivalent server version was) on them. I had to work with the disparities of AD/domain authentication across LAN/WAN, software delivery, asset management and other enterprise level activities. Plus still supporting end lusers with faulty mice/keyboards and other "trivia".

/end comments

Your experience with Windows NT in this discussion is about as relevant as my grandfathers experience with 1960's Ford Thunderbird when discussing Tesla.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
    edited December 2021

@rcy026

Probably you'll tell me to shut up too but sorry, the major difference I noted with the Windows versions is that one always needed yet more resources. But of course there were also invaluable new features (/sarcasm) like 3D effects and the "glass" thing. Immensely valuable when all one wants is to look at some text sent by a clueless moron in Word format or to play some game. Which leads me to yet another reason to love Windows: I've lost some games (the capability to play them) with each new Windows version.
    In fact the version I like most is XP because of its relatively modest demands of resources and the fact that most of my (not too many) older games run on it.
    But I also loved the UAV (I think that's what it's called) screens popping up frequently and insisting on a click because sakkurity farce.
    But what I love most is that while Unix boringly needs configuration done only - and in a universally easy plain text format - to actually get things done while wonderful Windows needs tons of clickedy-click "configuration" tinkering and jumping through funny hoops just for itself.

OS/2 was a nice hint of what was possible. Windows is a hint of how to totally ruin it and how to make a pile of crap out of it.

Windows? I prefer a session at the dentist.

edited December 2021

Told a lie! One more comment inspired by @jsg :smile:
    My normal brevity in comments/replies is primarily down to Windows induced RSI/carpal tunnel/tennis elbow. I'm unable to cope with mice now, a touchpad is a painful joke, the pointy stick thing was sadistic and a highend Logitech MX Ergo trackball just bearable.
    Anyone remember Wordstar? No need to move your fingers away from the keyboard, except to eat your lunch.

[Speedball on WinXP=how to wreck many a joystick.]

Alt, f, x

Thanked by 2bulbasaur jsg
  • edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited December 2021

RDP. Tried remote desktop on Linux and whatever client I use, it's not the same seamless experience as I have with RDP. For desktop use, nothing beats Windows in my opinion. All my Plex servers and seedboxes use Windows Server because I just like right-clicking all over the place copy pasting and clicking next next next finish, LOL. It's simple and it gets the job done.

• rcy026rcy026 Member
    edited December 2021

@jsg said:
    @rcy026

Probably you'll tell me to shut up too but sorry, the major difference I noted with the Windows versions is that one always needed yet more resources. But of course there were also invaluable new features (/sarcasm) like 3D effects and the "glass" thing. Immensely valuable when all one wants is to look at some text sent by a clueless moron in Word format or to play some game. Which leads me to yet another reason to love Windows: I've lost some games (the capability to play them) with each new Windows version.
    In fact the version I like most is XP because of its relatively modest demands of resources and the fact that most of my (not too many) older games run on it.
    But I also loved the UAV (I think that's what it's called) screens popping up frequently and insisting on a click because sakkurity farce.
    But what I love most is that while Unix boringly needs configuration done only - and in a universally easy plain text format - to actually get things done while wonderful Windows needs tons of clickedy-click "configuration" tinkering and jumping through funny hoops just for itself.

OS/2 was a nice hint of what was possible. Windows is a hint of how to totally ruin it and how to make a pile of crap out of it.

Windows? I prefer a session at the dentist.

True, if you are very low on resources, then Windows is probably not your best choice. But honestly, in most situations today resources is not a problem. A majority of workstations and servers use a fraction of their available resources. But, as stated sooo many times already: choose the best tools for the job. If you are extremely low on resources, then Windows is not the right tool.

The 3D effects and "glass" thing was a hype back then, in newer releases they are non-existent. If they bothered you, I think you could just disable them. I've never put much weight in the pure looks of things so I have not really bothered to look into it. Also, it was like 15 years ago, doesn't really feel relevant to investigate it further anymore.

UAC (I assume that's what you are referring to) is in Windows what sudo is in linux. I rarely hear people complain that they have to use sudo and enter their password to do administrative stuff, but clicking "OK" on a button to do the same seems to drive people nuts.

Since the introduction of powershell (like 10-15 years ago?) there is no "clickedy-click" configuration needed. Everything you can do in the gui you can do in powershell. In recent versions even the opposite is true, some things you have to do in powershell because there is no gui available. All the gui's are just that, a gui over powershell.

I'm by no means a Windows fan, I easily chose foss 9 out of 10 times if given a choice, but I am so sick and tired of Windows getting crap it does not deserve from people who have absolutely no idea how to use it.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • KermEdKermEd Member
    edited December 2021

@rcy026 said:
    I hate to have to point it out, but 13 years is fuckin forever in IT. If you have no experience with Windows in the past 13 years, your opinion is actually totally irrelevant.

Pointing it out doesn't make it right :D. Your experience is with managed workstations - not servers. You even expressed how you need to constantly work to keep them backedup and updated (something a 1 month certificate could teach you to do better). And much of modern windows is STILL built on core NT infrastructure - heck key programs from W2000 are still in Win11 today. So saying totally irrelevant is ... Well a totally ignorant statement.

Moreover any IT person worth their salt knows all this - and this is how we all know you are a wee baby child playing on the internet. Now go make your mama some waffles and let the adults talk IT for a bit :)

• There is a wider variety of GUI based software available on Windows. It is also less effort to develop, deploy and run such programs under Windows than Linux as a commercial software developer. So for GUI apps at least the first point is likely to remain true for a while yet.

edited December 2021

@rcy026 said:
    True, if you are very low on resources, then Windows is probably not your best choice. But honestly, in most situations today resources is not a problem. A majority of workstations and servers use a fraction of their available resources. But, as stated sooo many times already: choose the best tools for the job. If you are extremely low on resources, then Windows is not the right tool.

So what about poor people or elderly people who have and are used to a 10 or 15 years old PC with an old Windows version that increasingly acts up? What if I have an old notebook that I want to gift to a neighbour's kid who is going to go to university?

I learned that lesson the hard way when 2 or 3 years ago I went hung-go and purchased one of the intel NUC thingies ... only to learn that I MUST use Windows 10 and that there simply weren't drivers available for older Windows versions.

Frankly, I took that as Windows telling me "f_ck you! You are going to accept MY rules or you don't play!" My reaction of course was "OK, Microsoft, f_ck YOURSELF".

UAC (I assume that's what you are referring to) is in Windows what sudo is in linux.

OK, but if so then it seems that pretty much everything on that box needed to run as root ...

Since the introduction of powershell (like 10-15 years ago?) there is no "clickedy-click" configuration needed. Everything you can do in the gui you can do in powershell. In recent versions even the opposite is true, some things you have to do in powershell because there is no gui available. All the gui's are just that, a gui over powershell.

No offense intended but that's some of the worst advice I ever got. Hell, I even did try it, I tried to install some developer tool via Powershell just as I was told to. I also was told that it's going to be really easy, no worries. But then Windows (10) told me that I first need to install some other stuff ... at the end what I learned was "Wow, great, Windows has managed to port their version, dependency and dll hell to their shell too" and went away.

Btw, have a look at their VisualStudio crap. Happy sailing one happens to be a poor student with a note book that "only" has 4 cores, 4 GB memory and a small SSD. I thought I've seen hell after building a debug version of clang/llvm, but let me tell you that those 15+ GB installations are child toys next to a Microsoft monstrosity.

Granted it's just my personal view but according to my experience the one thing one can be really sure about Microsoft is that their products always grow (like a cancer) and always, with each new version, demand more resources which it then uses like a hog on meth.

And both Microsoft and intel (as well as some others getting on that train) profited massively (as in "many billions of $$") from the Wintel ping-pong - which btw is my main reason to go AMD on all my machines. It's not that I think that intel CPUs are (staying) slower and less powerful, nope, it's the fact that intel mercilessly fleeced all of us via the dark Wintel ping-pong.

As I've said, I do understand that (and not fervently fight against) companies and organizations often use Windows - but I won't unless I absolutely must, and then I use either my old "sh_tbox" (W 8.1) or the client has to provide me a properly set up and prepared Windows box of his choice.