Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the advantages of using a Windows VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the advantages of using a Windows VPS?

ArkasArkas Moderator
edited December 2021 in General

I've never used one before, all my VPSs and dedis run linux, but I see some providers offering Windows VPS. My most obvious question is that of security. How secure are they? I assume one advantage might be running .NET frameworks on them, but what else?

Thanked by 2miau devp

Comments

• No

Thanked by 1fullclick32
  • exactly, I need a Windows vps to test .NET app during development, thats why I bought a Netcup vps

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

No

• Totally depends on your use case right?

Typically if you're using Windows, you either need it (eg, some software is Windows only), or are more comfortable using it.

Professionally, I have a number of Windows VPS/Dedi's doing different things like serving remote applications over RDS/RDP, MSSQL databases, AD controllers/slaves, M365 backups, SharePoint, exchange, IIS, EPOS databases for legacy software (legacy is still a really big thing), etc...

Others use it in a personal capacity because it's the OS they're most familiar with and it's easy to use RDP to control your cloud server.

All comes down to familiarity and use case I guess :smile:

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

the GUI is a huge one.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

If you use Windows, you shouldn't be on LET to begin with.

You'd be a heretic.

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

No Advantage , even it cost more due to windows license
    Mainly use for running .Net Projects

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I use a Windows dedi as a workstation because it's easy to just RDP in and start working. I find it easier to use Windows than Linux when it comes to desk work.

Thanked by 2Arkas Bertie
  • In other news: I booted into Win10 yesterday and it couldn't update due to needing 8GB in its' partition. FFS.

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

Functionality?

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    In other news: I booted into Win10 yesterday and it couldn't update due to needing 8GB in its' partition. FFS.

How small was the partition?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

Low cost VPS (Windows OS) is used mainly for RDP. They in turn may be running VNC for Linux desktop VPS.

I have found windows RDP to be much more smoother and resource friendly

Low cost Windows VPS from Virmach and InceptionHosting. The average cpu utilization stays below 20 percent on these boxes.

High End Windows VPS used for sql server databases.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@dev_vps said: Low cost VPS (Windows OS) is used mainly for RDP

What kind of VPS specs are required for Windows RDP?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@Arkas said:

2 GB and 2 vCPU (in case of Ryzen 1 vCPU)
    €15/ year InceptionHosting special runs Windows OS perfectly

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I have websites built with Active Server Pages (ASP) and Microsoft Access database.
    Those can only be hosted on Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008R2.
    There's no Linux implementation of ASP.

As for .Net Framework, it can run on Linux via Mono Framework, which is ABI compatible.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@Arkas said:

@VirMach Windows VPS ($13/year) with RackNerd @dustinc Linux desktop VPS.

The memory used by windows os is less than 1 GB. The OS install was done using standard Windows 2012 template in VirMach control panel.

The template for Windows 2019 is broken.

• https://virmach.com/special-offers/
    The $18.65/year VPS is perfect for running Windows RDP 2012R2

As per @VirMach, there is a good probability that this VPS be moved to Ryzen.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Don't you need to pay extra for a license? Is it included at Racknerd? If it is, I'll give it a try later today.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@Arkas said:
    Don't you need to pay extra for a license? Is it included at Racknerd? If it is, I'll give it a try later today.

RackNerd is Linux desktop OS
    VirMach is Windows 180 day trial that can be extended for another 180 days.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited December 2021

Many times the only attraction is bypassing Linux learning curve by some lamers who can't wait with their great money making idea.

They only know Windows, they heard about VPS and they're sure it would be that easy, then bombard support teams with their tickets...

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @tjn said: How small was the partition?

Not small: 49 GB - you're missing the point entirely. 8GB free space is effectively reinstalling the whole OS. Compare with Linux updates that can apply individual components, if necessary.

• @dev_vps said: High End Windows VPS used for sql server databases.

PMSL.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2021

Kestrel used in .NET ecosystem is faster on Windows
    https://edi.wang/post/2021/2/3/aspnet-core-50-throughput-test-in-kestrel-iis-nginx-and-caddy

Windows + Kestrel
    Avg RPS: 18808

Linux + Kestrel
    Avg RPS: 10667

In fact, it becomes fastest framework possible, only Go/Rust/C-based frameworks can fight with it. Java, Python etc are way, way behind in performance, especially now with .NET6.
    Other than that there is "old ecosystem" - .NET Framework, IIS, SQL Server and some admins are very advanced with Windows Server so they still use it even if they switch ecosystems.

Also in terms of cost - a lot of companies are using paid RHEL, so its not that big diff in price vs Windows then.

Both Windows and Linux are secure af, no need to pick sides here. Focus on configuring and hardening it and you'll be good.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Mostly people just use it for MS software and the like. I think the biggest use is remote desktops in the LE market

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

Windows RDP is smoother as compared to VNC and consumes less CPU resources

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Arkas said:
    My most obvious question is that of security. How secure are they?

You are a bit behind it seems. Just install "SnakeOil 2021" and "Nonsense 7.3" and you'll be toootally sakkure, promised. Bonus: you'll get 10% rebate when you upgrade SnakeOil 2021 (every 3 months).

@dev_vps said:
    The memory used by windows os is less than 1 GB.

Wow cool! Many of my Unix VPS do not even reach 100 MB memory usage.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @jsg said:

@Arkas said:
    My most obvious question is that of security. How secure are they?

You are a bit behind it seems. Just install "SnakeOil 2021" and "Nonsense 7.3" and you'll be toootally sakkure, promised. Bonus: you'll get 10% rebate when you upgrade SnakeOil 2021 (every 3 months).

@dev_vps said:
    The memory used by windows os is less than 1 GB.

Wow cool! Many of my Unix VPS do not even reach 100 MB memory usage.

Compare apple to apple, please.

That is Windows GUI desktop.
    I am curious which Linux desktop GUI can run under 100 MB (or even 500 MB)

• I only ever install Windows on a VPS or Dedi as a curiosity, never for any real purpose. Sometimes there is an occasional Windows-only piece of burger software that I'll use a fresh sacrificial Windows VM for, other than that, Windows has no place on a server.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@dahartigan said:
    I only ever install Windows on a VPS or Dedi as a curiosity, never for any real purpose. Sometimes there is an occasional Windows-only piece of burger software that I'll use a fresh sacrificial Windows VM for, other than that, Windows has no place on a server.

There are so many SQL Server databases running on Windows Server OS (just one example)

• @dev_vps said:

@dahartigan said:
    I only ever install Windows on a VPS or Dedi as a curiosity, never for any real purpose. Sometimes there is an occasional Windows-only piece of burger software that I'll use a fresh sacrificial Windows VM for, other than that, Windows has no place on a server.

There are so many SQL Server databases running on Windows Server OS (just one example)

Then I weep for those databases.