Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the advantages of using a Windows VPS? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the advantages of using a Windows VPS?

Comments

• @Arkas said:
    I've never used one before, all my VPSs and dedis run linux, but I see some providers offering Windows VPS. My most obvious question is that of security. How secure are they? I assume one advantage might be running .NET frameworks on them, but what else?

I didn’t see any extra security feature on WIN server. I always use Linux. It's cost effective and secured from my point of view.

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@Daniel15 said:
    Microsoft SQL Server is a really solid product though. Their query profiling and optimization tools are unmatched by any other DBMS. The best "profiler" built in to MySQL and Postgres is running the query with EXPLAIN, which is fine but is nowhere near as powerful as Microsoft's tools.

I use SQL Server at my day job and everything else for hobby projects, and I must say SSMS and the Profiler has been the best thing since sliced bread.

Plus, it being available on Linux is very helpful for us migrating away from Windows VMs

Only SQL Server database engine runs on Linux. The SSMS (graphical management studio for sql server) is available only on Windows OS.

yes, one SSMS can be used to connect to multiple SQL Server databases.

• @dev_vps said:
    Only SQL Server database engine runs on Linux. The SSMS (graphical management studio for sql server) is available only on Windows OS.

Yes I know.

Also, I don't remember asking. Do you know who asked?

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@dev_vps said:

Yes I know.

Also, I don't remember asking. Do you know who asked?

My comments were in response to someone who wrote this
    “Plus, it being available on Linux is very helpful for us migrating away from Windows VMs”

• @dev_vps said:
    My comments were in response to someone who wrote this
    “Plus, it being available on Linux is very helpful for us migrating away from Windows VMs”

I could've phrased it better, but the subject in the comment was SQL Server; the bit about SSMS was just a side comment on the SQL Server ecosystem.

Your comment doesn't really make sense when you're replying to someone who has explicitly stated that they use the product, obviously I would know SSMS doesn't work on anything other than Windows because I use it.

• The intent was to share that SQL Server for Linux is mot 100% replacement from SQL Server for Windows

• @dev_vps said:
    The intent was to share that SQL Server for Linux is mot 100% replacement from SQL Server for Windows

It is though, life will be a bit harder without SSMS but you can live without it; there are a plethora of SQL Workbenches that work well with SQL Server (I use DBeaver when I don't have access to SSMS).

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    In other news: I booted into Win10 yesterday and it couldn't update due to needing 8GB in its' partition. FFS.

To be fair, a failed Linux upgrade is a system restore, not a simple windows rollback and reboot.

Complaining about needing 8GB free space for your OS partition. Are you still in 2001? >:)

• @rcy026 said:

@KermEd said:
    I worked at a large energy company on a team patching 1000’s of Windows and ’nix servers every quarter. Windows is always an issue. It was a miracle if some of them would even turn on :D.

Then you must really suck at your job. I'm at a company right now that regularly patches over 6000 windows based workstations and several hundred servers, and there are very rarely any problems.

I'm not taking sides or anything, I really do not care what people run as long as it works for them, but if Windows was even half as bad as some people claim there is no way it would be the by far most commonly used os.

There's a correlation of IT bitching with lack of skill, IMO. People surprised they actually have to do stuff and expect everything on silver plate while hand held.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Remember what happened when Dell tried to sell computers with Linux on them?

Ubuntu got millions of new users? Or just more support calls?

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@dev_vps said:
    The intent was to share that SQL Server for Linux is mot 100% replacement from SQL Server for Windows

It is though, life will be a bit harder without SSMS but you can live without it; there are a plethora of SQL Workbenches that work well with SQL Server (I use DBeaver when I don't have access to SSMS).

Generating a SSIS package for import/export data, for example, is much easier with SSMS.

SQL Server activity monitor is another example.

Defining SQL Server Agent job and viewing job history is one more example.

And not to mention, third party add-ons available for SSMS.

List goes on and on ….

• @TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

@KermEd said:
    I worked at a large energy company on a team patching 1000’s of Windows and ’nix servers every quarter. Windows is always an issue. It was a miracle if some of them would even turn on :D.

Then you must really suck at your job. I'm at a company right now that regularly patches over 6000 windows based workstations and several hundred servers, and there are very rarely any problems.

I'm not taking sides or anything, I really do not care what people run as long as it works for them, but if Windows was even half as bad as some people claim there is no way it would be the by far most commonly used os.

There's a correlation of IT bitching with lack of skill, IMO. People surprised they actually have to do stuff and expect everything on silver plate while hand held.

There is a reason behind high demand for folks with excellent SQL Server skills, Windows Administrators, Powershell script gurus ….

• @dev_vps said:

@TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

@KermEd said:

There is a reason behind high demand for folks with excellent SQL Server skills, Windows Administrators, Powershell script gurus ….

The best admins like challenges and solving them. Shit ones just whine and bitch.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited December 2021

@dev_vps said:
    Generating a SSIS package for import/export data, for example, is much easier with SSMS.

List goes on and on ….

With that I agree, administration of an SQL Server instance is nearly impossible without SSMS. But for dev stuff, you won't die without it if you're hardcore Linux-only type of guy.

Point is, running SQL Server for Linux is not as impractical as you would imagine. A single workstation that runs Windows for sysads is definitely cheaper than running a bajillion Windows VMs just to run SQL Server instances.

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@dev_vps said:

List goes on and on ….

With that I agree, administration of an SQL Server instance is nearly impossible without SSMS. But for dev stuff, you won't die without it if you're hardcore Linux-only type of guy.

Point is, running SQL Server for Linux is not as impractical as you would imagine. A single workstation that runs Windows for sysads is definitely cheaper than running a bajillion Windows VMs just to run SQL Server instances.

SSIS package is not administration, it is part of SQL Server usage , ETL, data cleansing , feed to other DBs, list of active SQL logins, Audit reports ….

• @TimboJones said: Ubuntu got millions of new users? Or just more support calls?

No, Microsoft used their marketing muscle to make Dell install Windows!

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@TimboJones said: Ubuntu got millions of new users? Or just more support calls?

No, Microsoft used their marketing muscle to make Dell install Windows!

Check the post above. ✔️

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

To be fair, I don't like the usually bloated M$ programs. But good luck finding a job in this marketplace If you don't know at least a few MS programs, especially ASP and MS SQL.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited December 2021

@dev_vps Changed days: this wasn't the case a couple of decades ago. Looks like it's a very limited range, particularly in the UK.

• linux is best .

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@Arkas said:
    To be fair, I don't like the usually bloated M$ programs. But good luck finding a job in this marketplace If you don't know at least a few MS programs, especially ASP and MS SQL.

In MS SQL Server, I can write a stored procedure in c# language, make a REST API call to consume data on the fly (for example- weather for next 5 days for a given input zipcode) and data would be returned by stored procedure as if data is being presented from a table, not from a live rest api data.

This shows how well different technologies are integrated with MS SQL Server.

• @KermEd said:

@rcy026 said:

Your assumptions on the other hand was totally pulled out of your ass since you got butthurt by my comment.

Actually that’s common after an evening of waffle wrestling with yo mama, I’m not sure what comments you made or are referring to and she has me a tad drunk at the moment. That woman eats the whole damn chicken - and really gets into the kink. I think she lost the TV remote up there —- also, why do you guys still have an old CRT style TV in your trailer home?

If you are trying to insult me with "yo mama", good luck. She's been dead for over 30 years, I couldn't care less. Also, I'm not from the part of the world that uses trailer homes, so again an assumption pulled out of your ass.

• @TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

@KermEd said:

True that. Trying to be one of the "cool guys" by trashtalking windows seems to be a popular strategy amongst the clueless.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • @rcy026 said: .. trashtalking windows..

From a long and bitter experience in my case.

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@rcy026 said: .. trashtalking windows..

In my experience, if you use the right tools for the job the experience becomes a lot less bitter. There are places where windows is the right tool, and there are places where it is not. Knowing what to use where is usually what separates the pro's from the wannabes.

People trying to do everything with Windows regardless of if its suited for the job or not always makes me cringe. So does people trying to do everything with foss.

• @rcy026 said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

@rcy026 said: .. trashtalking windows..

In my experience, if you use the right tools for the job the experience becomes a lot less bitter. There are places where windows is the right tool, and there are places where it is not. Knowing what to use where is usually what separates the pro's from the wannabes.

I just realized that that might have sounded like I was calling you a wannabe. That was not my intention, since I have no clue about who you are or your qualifications.

• @rcy026 said:

If you are trying to insult me with "yo mama", good luck. She's been dead for over 30 years, I couldn't care less. Also, I'm not from the part of the world that uses trailer homes, so again an assumption pulled out of your ass.

Well, that would explain why she just lays there most of the time. But it doesn't stop her from waffle wrestling. As for the trailer, I know it's not yours. Moms bought it from her bingo winnings and is letting you stay there until you can get back on your feet.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited December 2021

@rcy026 said: I just realized that that might have sounded like I was calling you a wannabe. That was not my intention, since I have no clue about who you are or your qualifications.

No, just that I had no clue what I was talking about and a complete plonker with regards to IT. ;)
    Try experience of CP/M (pre-DOS), various DOS incarnations including with the likes of SuperCalc, Windoze since the first Pagemaker, Unix since the venerable SysVR4.2 plus SCO, Novell etc..
    Various roles from Support through some programming, network engineering and Enterprise Management
    Oh and a Masters in IT Systems Integration - not that the piece of paper means anything. :neutral:

I am pleased to see that there's an option to strip Windoze from the GUI (deliberately worded that way:not before time!) and with that it may become a more suitable server OS. It doesn't however excuse the piss poor basic underlying architecture of the OS, though 'stealing' ideas gradually from other OSes is closing the gap. IMHumbleO.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    …. basic underlying architecture of the OS, though 'stealing' ideas gradually from other OSes is closing the gap.

I agree. You have a point.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint