Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How sketchy is BuyVM? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How sketchy is BuyVM?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said: That's why you have legitimate customer info and not anonymous.

This doesn't change much.

I've had plenty of people that paid with paypal, verified email, details, etc, blast our billing/etc with attacks. Passed every check Karen enforces, didn't matter.

I mean, there's a kid on twitter, easily trackable, playing around with some massive botnet blowing up minecraft servers. Last I checked he's still on there doing it and not arrested.

He knocked out many large networks doing it.

Francisco

• @jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:
    @jar you seem triggered. Why?

Funny I was thinking the same about you and default. The mere existence of Fran has been massively triggering for the two of you. I just continue to share things I've learned from my time in the industry.

You seem to defend him blindly, it's embarrassing watching you dance for Fran the way you do.

I just continue to share things I've learned from my time on LET.

You can use the word blindly but you're misusing it. You're continually ignoring context in hopes that your short little accusations will stick.

I'm drawing on:

1. The data I have for the company I run which gives me a lot of insight into bad networks.
    2. The time I spent answering tickets and managing websites for customers at HostGator.
    3. The time I spent answering tickets, managing a team, and handling pubic facing abuse complaints for DigitalOcean.
    4. The first hand knowledge I have of his integrity as a friend.

You're free to disregard my experience but you're not free to invalidate them. All of these things gave me strong insight into customer expectations, abuse reporter expectations, hosting market economics, and they've all shaped how I interpret data. You're not interpreting the data through the same experience that I am. That doesn't mean I'm not being fair with my interpretations or that I'm failing to adequately explain how I'm making them. I have repeatedly explained why my experience is valuable for interpreting the kind of data in this post and will gladly continue to do so despite how much it upsets 2-3 people.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck. You are dancing for Fran like his little French maid - it's pathetic - I expected better from you.

You are vigorously defending Fran in this thread, but then he comes along and pretty much ignores the issue off like water off a duck's back and you're still here fighting his fight.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I am vigorously interpreting the data in the original post based on my experiences and the fact of the matter is that you don't like it. That's why you've tried to discredit me. That's fine, but it's pretty apparent when I'm talking about experiences and you're still talking about the same person and anyone who doesn't share your negative bias.

You have your opinions and I have mine. Is it too hard for you to accept that?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2021

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

Funny I was thinking the same about you and default. The mere existence of Fran has been massively triggering for the two of you. I just continue to share things I've learned from my time in the industry.

You seem to defend him blindly, it's embarrassing watching you dance for Fran the way you do.

You can use the word blindly but you're misusing it. You're continually ignoring context in hopes that your short little accusations will stick.

I'm drawing on:

1. The data I have for the company I run which gives me a lot of insight into bad networks.
    2. The time I spent answering tickets and managing websites for customers at HostGator.
    3. The time I spent answering tickets, managing a team, and handling pubic facing abuse complaints for DigitalOcean.

You're free to disregard my experience but you're not free to invalidate them. All of these things gave me strong insight into customer expectations, abuse reporter expectations, hosting market economics, and they've all shaped how I interpret data. You're not interpreting the data through the same experience that I am. That doesn't mean I'm not being fair with my interpretations or that I'm failing to adequately explain how I'm making them. I have repeatedly explained why my experience is valuable for interpreting the kind of data in this post and will gladly continue to do so despite how much it upsets 2-3 people.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck. You are dancing for Fran like his little French maid - it's pathetic - I expected better from you.

You are vigorously defending Fran in this thread, but then he comes along and pretty much ignores the issue off like water off a duck's back and you're still here fighting his fight.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I am vigorously interpreting the data in the original post based on my experiences and the fact of the matter is that you don't like it. That's why you've tried to discredit me. That's fine, but it's pretty apparent when I'm talking about experiences and you're still talking about the same person and anyone who doesn't share your negative bias.

Were you asking me that question or wanting me to ask it to you? I didn't drag your opinion into this topic or start out trying to discredit you for not my sharing mine.

I only entered this thread to share my experiences and why I thought this network wasn't shady based on them.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

I'm drawing on:

Were you asking me that question or wanting me to ask it to you? I didn't drag your opinion into this topic or start out trying to discredit you for not my sharing mine.

No I just engaged in the conversation, made comments that you don't like and now you're dancing for me ;)

Thanked by 1default
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited July 2021

@Francisco said:

@TimboJones said: That's why you have legitimate customer info and not anonymous.

This doesn't change much.

I've had plenty of people that paid with paypal, verified email, details, etc, blast our billing/etc with attacks. Passed every check Karen enforces, didn't matter.

I mean, there's a kid on twitter, easily trackable, playing around with some massive botnet blowing up minecraft servers. Last I checked he's still on there doing it and not arrested.

He knocked out many large networks doing it.

Francisco

feds don't care until you piss off the wrong person.

state doesn't care about much if you're not carding or swatting.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@SirFoxy said: feds don't care until you piss off the wrong person.

That's fair, but knocking all of INAP offline most def caused more than $5000 in damages, or whatever the 'minimum' they have is.

Francisco

edited July 2021

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

I'm drawing on:

No I just engaged in the conversation, made comments that you don't like and now you're dancing for me ;)

I called out default for his bias against the provider when using it and only it to attempt to discount my experiences. You asked if I was triggered. I'm severely confused as to why you think I'm here to make sure you don't have a space to share your opinion or how this qualifies as dancing for you. If my reply here is the output of intentional trolling, you'll have to forgive me for not seeing it as very effective.

• @jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

I'm drawing on:

I called out default for his bias against the provider when using it and only it to attempt to discount my experiences. You asked if I was triggered. I'm severely confused as to why you think I'm here to make sure you don't have a space to share your opinion or how this qualifies as dancing for you. If my reply here is the output of intentional trolling, you'll have to forgive me for not seeing it as very effective.

I forgive you, and I accept your apology.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Francisco said:

@SirFoxy said: feds don't care until you piss off the wrong person.

That's fair, but knocking all of INAP offline most def caused more than $5000 in damages, or whatever the 'minimum' they have is.

Francisco

INAP also makes hundreds of millions a year, to them it's relatively insignificant.

Regardless, feds usually take their time building cases, they have a ~95% conviction rate.

Even if he was to get arrested he'd probably end up on probation for a couple of years with a half decent attorney.

The government doesn't take DDoSing very seriously, we're talking 10 years max with a public defender and priors.

• donkodonko Member

As long buyvm it never gets "involucrated"

I don't give a shet about whatever fran's (others) customers do on his network

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • @donko said:
    As long buyvm it never gets "involucrated"

I don't give a shet about whatever fran's (others) customers do on his network

Until the day finally comes when his shit gets raided.

• donkodonko Member

@dahartigan said:
    Until the day finally comes when his shit gets raided.

yep some day these bots will try SSH login on port 22 of a FBI server (?)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2021

@jar said: if the admins don't get it under control, I think it's a ticking bomb for unique traffic on the site.

I think you can be more plain about this, ask for an outright ban. I am sure almost everyone would agree.

And what about hating? I was open about not liking him attacking other providers and then AlexVolk suddenly went into overdrive attacking me and one my major customer even as I don't have a provider tag and Prometeus withdrew from here long time ago so there is 0 danger from that direction.

I reacted to the attacks and I will always do that. Leave me alone and I will only give some personal opinions and that is it.
    Attack me and you wont like the reply.

@donko said: yep some day these bots will try SSH login on port 22 of a FBI server (?)

I can assure you all their servers are attacked like everyone else, ppl dont even care. The 3 letter agencies give 0 fucks for automated attacks, they only care about targeted attacks, specially crafted emails, social engineering, exploiting previously unknown vulnerabilities etc.

edited July 2021

You're welcome to add words to it but if I didn't type them, I had no intent on implying them. I don't dance around much these days. Say what I mean and I'm out.

I just think people like the OP here keep stepping in everyone else's shit with zero intent and it's going to impact the site negatively. They can't be part of the community because the community takes over everything they do with the same topic over and over again. We can't just let every conversation be what it is, everything has to keep coming back to the same rivalries.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@stevewatson301 said: Realistically, the US gov could re-purpose the 11/8 ASN as a network of honeypots, and actually punish providers for not taking action

It is/was being done already with the unused addresses in 44.0.0.0/8 (which is/was majority of them).

If all of 11.0.0.0/8 was honeypots, nobody would scan them.

• @jar said:
    You're welcome to add words to it but if I didn't type them, I had no intent on implying them. I don't dance around much these days. Say what I mean and I'm out.

I just think people like the OP here keep stepping in everyone else's shit with zero intent and it's going to impact the site negatively. They can't be part of the community because the community takes over everything they do with the same topic over and over again. We can't just let every conversation be what it is, everything has to keep coming back to the same rivalries.

The irony is you are one of the key players in that. Your signature is proof you love the drama. You just aren't mature enough to accept when the drama affects you personally, you start to hate the game.

edited July 2021

Yeah that's why I share my perspectives, because I'm upset about drama or something.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@chocolateshirt said: Personally I don't care with my server got bruteforcing, just use a firewall script to add latest failed login to blocklist.. problem solved.

I do keys only, no passwords and ignore them..

My experience has been the add-to-blacklist usually blocks me at some point.. PGP agent not working properly, takes a couple tries to figure out what it's problem is and fix it..

Opening too many sessions into a machine.. Connection-state New TCP 22, three times in 2 minutes, or whatever, is an issue when I open three or more SSH sessions into a host..

Been a few years, but I leave SSH on port 22 now, changing the port keeps them from trying for a little while but it still gets found. Port-Knocking could work, but why put in the effort..

With SSH authentication with keys, no passwords, the 'brute force' attempts move on after two/three attempts..

As for port-scans... I watched one port scan that used a different IP for each port, presumably to not 'trip' the detect-port-scan.. Yes, they used an entire /16 to do a port scan..

• catscats Member

Pretty much a tl;dr from my own experience and knowing Francisco/this company for 10+ years: Francisco takes care of abuse if it's proper abuse. Since he allows TOR exit nodes, there's a high probability of these being abused by random users, and abuse is much harder to handle through this. This is one of the reasons a lot of people go with him, he doesn't "shoot first, ask questions later", he properly looks into each case.

If someone is outright scanning ports, brute forcing, or other and likely doing it maliciously or compromised? You bet they're going to get the boot/suspended.

• @Francisco is giving so much freedom to his customers, he even has a strong stand for Freedom of Speech & protection of privacy. So I believe, people should appreciate it & use his services in a way that benefit the world but never in an illegitimate way further showing fingers at him 😑 Shame on such persons...

I’m with Fran, since a while for my blogs, I’ve never been in to any sort of bad stuff. The network & machine are rock solid. Moreover, the support guys, especially Mateus is always there to help if you are stuck anywhere.

No matter how fatal things may turn. Will surely continue & stand with Fran’s service 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2021

Yes, it's obvious that Jar blindly defends this provider. He puts his personality and his experience on the line for this provider, as if he worked there and knows the company like the palm of his hand.

Anyway, this thread is not about Jar and his resume; it's about BuyVM. Therefore, sorry for bothering you @dahartigan - have you received any "invitation" to that lawsuit, or the problems of courage and dignity are still persistent?

• ok. let us attack / judge Buyvm

edited July 2021

Lol @default

Still all shit talk and no substance. My sincerest apologies for interrupting your constant stream of thread-agnostic drama by offering my honest, detailed, and transparent thoughts on the topic at hand. See you in the next thread I guess. Same topic of course, need you to be on top of that.

• @default said:
    Yes, it's obvious that Jar blindly defends this provider. He puts his personality and his experience on the line for this provider, as if he worked there and knows the company like the palm of his hand.

Anyway, this thread is not about Jar and his resume; it's about BuyVM. Therefore, sorry for bothering you @dahartigan - have you received any "invitation" to that lawsuit, or the problems of courage and dignity are still persistent?

Fkoff.. move to chestpit dude..

Thanked by 2jar skorous
  • @default said:

Lol, absolutely nothing. All talk and no show. Not at all surprised. His alter ego "Karen" has more balls apparently.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited July 2021

@kevinds said:
    I do keys only, no passwords and ignore them..

Not really a solution. The problem with TLS/SSL is that it's among the most intense operations a system can do. More precisely the public key part, handshake/key exchange is. In between 20000 to a million times slower ~ more compute costly than symmetric crypto.
    So those script kiddies de facto create a DOS; gladly some SSH hacking "advice" out there strongly suggests to make no more than one or two attempts per seconds, but otoh many people doing a few attempts per second adds up ...
    The problem isn't keys vs passwords, the problem is SSL and SSH and of course millions of evil minded or careless attackers out there ... plus of course ridiculously poor SSL and SSH configs.

Re topic: Under normal circumstances I'd be against @Francisco because at the end of the day BuyVM is a significant source of problems due to their easy going attitude. In the current situation though with repressive regimes and dictatorial corporations I highly value his stance (plus his products and service seem to be really good too) and basically sum it up as "if we have to tolerate a few bad actors in order to have the large majority speak their mind freely, well then that's a price I'm willing to pay".

But there is another perspective too that needs to be seen: The internet is a dangerous place for other - and more important than Francisco's attitude - reasons too. Reasons like poorly "designed" protocols, corporations bending and pushing things in their interests, general political and social factors, and others. Those are far more relevant and significant than whatever policy Francisco happens to have. BuyVM is just a channel but the water flowing through it is sullied and poisoned elsewhere and by others; if BuyVM ceased to exist other channels would be found and used.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@jsg said: Re topic: Under normal circumstances I'd be against @Francisco because at the end of the day BuyVM is a significant source of problems due to their easy going attitude. In the current situation though with repressive regimes and dictatorial corporations I highly value his stance (plus his products and service seem to be really good too) and basically sum it up as "if we have to tolerate a few bad actors in order to have the large majority speak their mind freely, well then that's a price I'm willing to pay".

But there is another perspective too that needs to be seen: The internet is a dangerous place for other - and more important than Francisco's attitude - reasons too. Reasons like poorly "designed" protocols, corporations bending and pushing things in their interests, general political and social factors, and others. Those are far more relevant and significant than whatever policy Francisco happens to have. BuyVM is just a channel but the water flowing through it is sullied and poisoned elsewhere and by others; if BuyVM ceased to exist other channels would be found and used.

Honestly not many providers want to take the punches or black eyes that BuyVM has taken to stand up to the corporate BS. Let alone to stand up for what they believe in! We have taken already a few hits ourselves and hopefully never have to experience the full blows that Fran has taken. But only time will tell.

I will do what we have to do to stand behind that freedom that we have on our services and I'm sure Fran would feel the same!

• Let's be honest here tor does more harm then good

edited July 2021

@codelock said:
    Let's be honest here tor does more harm then good

Probably. But that'll always be the case. The things that help people avoid authoritarian regimes will be the same things that help the bad criminals avoid the police. The two will always be linked together and they can't be separated. That's what makes them such easy targets for governments to vilify. They can simultaneously attack them for reasons almost anyone finds reasonable while also targeting their detractors.

It's a win win for the people wearing the boots, the ones licking them, and the criminals none of us want to support. And the number of people misusing it will hopefully always outnumber the others, because oddly it'd be nice if the latter was more rare than the former. At least every day criminals are statistically less likely to control a military than an authoritarian government.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@codelock said:
    Let's be honest here tor does more harm then good

So does guns, but a lot of people seem to support them anyway.