Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How sketchy is BuyVM? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How sketchy is BuyVM?

Comments

• dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2021

@Francisco

• most cases we receive some like :
      If you do not refund.
    1. I will ddos your website for a long time, then you may never want to
      open your website

and you receive one 40G atack over 2-3 days :)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2021

@risharde said:
    Good read here especially from @jar and @VirMach

No. It's not that good read. In their attempts to defend a fellow provider, they also disregard the fact that provider allows such stuff, therefore being a magnet for bad things. Personally, I do not care about how hard situations are for this provider, as long as provider willingly wants it rough.

I do not agree with @deank - as in the end is not nigh for this provider, simply because it's specially featured on LET, but I don't give rat's ass for this provider anyway.

Thanked by 2Maounique dahartigan
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@dedicatserver_ro said:
    @Francisco

If you do not refund.
      open your website

The people that don't ticket in are almost always crypto.

Karen makes good use of fraudrecord, you should too. She sends a lot of reports there.

Francisco

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2021

I'm glad to see that my post created some reaction. ;)
    I'm well out of the networking scene (by 20 years) these days, so don't have the wherewithal to do practical trials of packet inspection mechanisms/tools nor access to typical networking equipment. It's too long ago to remember some of the kit I got my hands on. Even then I was no expert; only messing at the fringes from a NOC perspective. In my days, Fast Ethernet was de rigueur, one gig to the desktop excessive and multi-plane multi-gigabit switches the stuff of LARGE corporations.

I assume DDOS mitigation is done with dedicated hardware and routers have progressed massively in computational terms, since I was installing them. I've said it in the past, that I find it unfathomable that managed network devices can't detect and mitigate bad actors, such as port scans and brute force. At a much lower throughput/scale, software such as CSF/fail2ban can, on a different network layer.

These days, I'm a burnt-out semi-retired IT bozzy with a small pool of clients but that doesn't completely stop me from thinking at a corporate level, sometimes.

Nearly a @jsg wall of text. :o That's enough for now!

• defaultdefault Veteran

@AlwaysSkint said:

Please don't drag someone else into this. You are somewhat new in history of LET, because there were others who wrote walls of text long before you were here. TL;DR existed on LET way before @jsg - so please stop comparing yourself with him/her, and respect your elders.

Besides, writing walls of text with separate paragraphs, is fun and nice to read during a morning coffee or black tea. Personally I like reading descriptions, because I like reading Dostoevsky too.

This young generation has no respect for their millennials.

edited July 2021

@default said: This young generation has no respect for their millennials.

I wouldn't know, being GenX ;)
    P.S. I also enjoy a morning coffee, reading more than a few paragraphs but I never read books (apart from a rare techy manual). Poor memory/attention span, or something.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@AlwaysSkint said:

@default said: This young generation has no respect for their millennials.

I wouldn't know, being GenX ;)

OK then. Respect. But please respect @jsg too. I love reading his walls of text based on old-school security perspective.

I step back, and bow with reverence.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @default said: But please respect @jsg too.

That's implicit as I'm sure he realises.

• BuyVM is sketchy as fuck.

Thanked by 1default
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2021

@AlwaysSkint said:
    I'm glad to see that my post created some reaction. ;)
    I'm well out of the networking scene (by 20 years) these days, so don't have the wherewithal to do practical trials of packet inspection mechanisms/tools nor access to typical networking equipment. It's too long ago to remember some of the kit I got my hands on. Even then I was no expert; only messing at the fringes from a NOC perspective. In my days, Fast Ethernet was de rigueur, one gig to the desktop excessive and multi-plane multi-gigabit switches the stuff of LARGE corporations.

I assume DDOS mitigation is done with dedicated hardware and routers have progressed massively in computational terms, since I was installing them. I've said it in the past, that I find it unfathomable that managed network devices can't detect and mitigate bad actors, such as port scans and brute force. At a much lower throughput/scale, software such as CSF/fail2ban can, on a different network layer.

These days, I'm a burnt-out semi-retired IT bozzy with a small pool of clients but that doesn't completely stop me from thinking at a corporate level, sometimes.

Problem is you can't just create a set of filters on root servers. For everything that looks to be malicious and mitigation is applied, another has a legitimate use case for it. Not to mention the privacy aspect of deep packet inspection for all traffic. If you alienate your customers you just change what network it comes from because someone else will pick up the market you ditched.

@default said:

@risharde said:
    Good read here especially from @jar and @VirMach

No. It's not that good read. In their attempts to defend a fellow provider, they also disregard the fact that provider allows such stuff, therefore being a magnet for bad things. Personally, I do not care about how hard situations are for this provider, as long as provider willingly wants it rough.

Care to clarify what I disregarded about this, and proof that the thing you'll claim I disregarded is objective fact? Your personal vendettas do not translate to anything valuable. You've merely gained a few peers for having them, and I realize that this has boosted your confidence in your opinions but it hasn't given you any additional experience and insight.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@jar said:
    You're so full of shit your diapers can't even hold it anymore. Your personal vendettas do not translate to anything valuable. You've merely gained a few peers for having them, not experience.

Thank you for offering to change my diaper. Now I can go to a beautiful sleep and dream about how MXRoute does not wish to defend sketchy providers.

edited July 2021

You know me, I let BuyVM bad traffic slide because I love Fran more than feeding my kids.

More likely that I don't block all that much (meaning no more than average for similar sized general hosting networks) because it's not coming in, but the former is going to be more palatable to someone who has a personal preference for the conclusion.

edited July 2021

After a quick revisit of snort, I just had an interesting skim read:
    https://suricata.io/features/
    I'd say one of the main issues is that providers see no gain in taking the time/effort/expense to have a cleaner network. Zero incentive, particularly as it's simpler just to throw more computational and bandwidth resources at the non-perceived issues. A far cry (good game!) from when I trawled through network logs/expenses to weed out unnecessary protocols transmitted on leased lines. :|
    Additionally, if the industry legislators "don't care", then why should providers? (Rhetorical.)

[Edited: I hate typos!]

edited July 2021

@AlwaysSkint said:
    After a quick revisit of snort, I just had an interesting skim read:
    https://suricata.io/features/
    I'd say one of the main issues is that providers see no gain in taking the time/effort/expense to have a cleaner network. Zero incentive, particularly as it's simpler just to throw more computational and bandwidth resources at the non-perceived issues. A far cry (good game!) from when I trawled through network logs/expenses to weed out unnecessary protocols transmitted on leased lines. :|
    If the industry legislators "don't care", then why should providers? (Rhetorical.)

Well yeah, incentive is always part of it. Remember that customers dictate incentive as well. As a VPS provider, which is more likely to halt orders, having a bunch of compromised websites on your network or spying on your customers and dicking around with unprecedented monitoring likely to lead to years of technical issues in attempt to perfect it?

You just can't compare anything else to root servers rented at low cost, the technical variables are far too unique.

It's not enough to exist with the highest subjective values if you have no platform to apply them. That's why I'd love to see you try to deploy your values in similar production, either you're a genius or you don't get it, and either way there's benefit: those of us who did it lose a detractor, or the industry is changed by your example.

• @jar you seem triggered. Why?

• Thanked by 1dahartigan
    edited July 2021

@dahartigan said:
    @jar you seem triggered. Why?

Funny I was thinking the same about you and default. The mere existence of Fran has been massively triggering for the two of you. I just continue to share things I've learned from my time in the industry.

Those who have been here for years have seen me turn on friends for doing things I thought immoral in the industry. Gordon nearly lost my business. I nearly banned Jeff who later hired me. Both are good friends and we've worked it out long ago. I remain consistent, it upsets some that I don't follow their bias.

edited July 2021

@jar said: .. or spying on your customers and dicking around with unprecedented monitoring..

I'm far from being an advocate for that, in fact nearly diametrically opposite. Packet inspection, rather than content inspection ( - unless you're Romanian perhaps, allegedly).

Thanked by 1jar
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

Funny I was thinking the same about you and default. The mere existence of Fran has been massively triggering for the two of you. I just continue to share things I've learned from my time in the industry.

So anyway IFC has Blazing Saddles on. First time I've seen it, bloody hilarious.

Francisco

Thanked by 2jar skorous
  • @jar said:

@dahartigan said:

You seem to defend him blindly, it's embarrassing watching you dance for Fran the way you do.

I just continue to share things I've learned from my time on LET.

Thanked by 1default
  • I too have reservations about many of @Francisco 's thoughts/perceptions/hosting acceptance etc. but thankfully it doesn't stop me from getting the benefit of an awesome service. (When finally accepted.)
    "Dinnae cut off yer nose, to spite yer face."

edited July 2021

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

You seem to defend him blindly, it's embarrassing watching you dance for Fran the way you do.

You can use the word blindly but you're misusing it. You're continually ignoring context in hopes that your short little accusations will stick.

I'm drawing on:

1. The data I have for the company I run which gives me a lot of insight into bad networks.
    2. The time I spent answering tickets and managing websites for customers at HostGator.
    3. The time I spent answering tickets, managing a team, and handling pubic facing abuse complaints for DigitalOcean.
    4. The first hand knowledge I have of his integrity as a friend.
    5. The time I spent answering tickets and managing a team for support and abuse at QuickPacket.

You're free to disregard my experience but you're not free to invalidate them. All of these things gave me strong insight into customer expectations, abuse reporter expectations, hosting market economics, and they've all shaped how I interpret data. You're not interpreting the data through the same experience that I am. That doesn't mean I'm not being fair with my interpretations or that I'm failing to adequately explain how I'm making them. I have repeatedly explained why my experience is valuable for interpreting the kind of data in this post and will gladly continue to do so despite how much it upsets 2-3 people.

edited July 2021

@jar said:
    2. & 3.

Crikey, you don't half like wallowing in the crap! :D One, for grim hosting, the other for being an open door for abuse.

Thanked by 1jar

@AlwaysSkint said:

@jar said:
    2. & 3.

Crikey, you don't half like wallowing in the crap! :D One, for grim hosting, the other for being an open door for abuse.

I seen some shit lol. Front lines teach a person a lot. I know it upsets some people that I still pull from what I learned but it's done me well outside of being used to dispute personal vendettas.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jar said: The mere existence of Fran

Thou shalt not negate Fran's fundamental right to exist and defend from dead providers by shitting in all threads.

• @dedicatserver_ro said:
    @Francisco

If you do not refund.
      open your website

That's why you have legitimate customer info and not anonymous.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

You can use the word blindly but you're misusing it. You're continually ignoring context in hopes that your short little accusations will stick.

I'm drawing on:

1. The data I have for the company I run which gives me a lot of insight into bad networks.
    2. The time I spent answering tickets and managing websites for customers at HostGator.
    3. The time I spent answering tickets, managing a team, and handling pubic facing abuse complaints for DigitalOcean.

You're free to disregard my experience but you're not free to invalidate them. All of these things gave me strong insight into customer expectations, abuse reporter expectations, hosting market economics, and they've all shaped how I interpret data. You're not interpreting the data through the same experience that I am. That doesn't mean I'm not being fair with my interpretations or that I'm failing to adequately explain how I'm making them. I have repeatedly explained why my experience is valuable for interpreting the kind of data in this post and will gladly continue to do so despite how much it upsets 2-3 people.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck. You are dancing for Fran like his little French maid - it's pathetic - I expected better from you.

You are vigorously defending Fran in this thread, but then he comes along and pretty much ignores the issue off like water off a duck's back and you're still here fighting his fight.

Thanked by 1default

@Maounique said:

@jar said: The mere existence of Fran

Thou shalt not negate Fran's fundamental right to exist and defend from dead providers by shitting in all threads.

I have to say it is interesting how nearly every thread has been turned into "I hate Fran" vs "I don't hate Fran" recently and if the admins don't get it under control, I think it's a ticking bomb for unique traffic on the site. The temporary devolving of every topic into this is good for short term traffic but eventually it'll run off new users and the old timers will get bored.

Thanked by 2Falzo drunkendog

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

@dahartigan said:

I'm drawing on:

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck. You are dancing for Fran like his little French maid - it's pathetic - I expected better from you.

You are vigorously defending Fran in this thread, but then he comes along and pretty much ignores the issue off like water off a duck's back and you're still here fighting his fight.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I am vigorously interpreting the data in the original post based on my experiences and the fact of the matter is that you don't like it. That's why you've tried to discredit me. That's fine, but it's pretty apparent when I'm talking about experiences and you're still talking about the same person and anyone who doesn't share your negative bias.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ