Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hotlineservers are down - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hotlineservers are down

Comments

• @TimboJones said:

@dahartigan said:

@stephfd21 said: wishosting

I don't want to jinx anything, but wishosting (@exception0x876) is very professional and has been in the game for years with virtually no drama.

Annnnndd jinxed. Best of luck, @exception0x876.

You just double-jinxed him, damn..

• @Maounique said:

@deank said: There is no middle ground.

There is, I have had to contend with partial backups many times and almost always able to recover.
    That being said, those experiences convinced me the rule of 3 is golden.
    3 backups at 3 different moments in 3 different places.
    When Dogecoin went up, I looked for my backed-up wallet from 2014, to quote the latest experience. One of the disks went bad, the DVD was unreadable, but the disk I keep at another house for events like earthquakes and fires provided me with almost 20k coins to sell at 41 cents.

27 backups? Most people are covered with the 3-2-1 backup strategy.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2021

@TimboJones said:
    27 backups? Most people are covered with the 3-2-1 backup strategy.

You guys are too paranoid.

My first server (circa 2006) was setup as follows:

• C drive is for the operating system
    • D drive is for the database.
    • E drive is for the websites.
    • F drive is for the backups.
    • It's a single 160GB HDD. There's no RAID card, YOLO.

No file got lost during the 2 years I'm in charge of this server.
    Hardware back then was more reliable than now.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said: 27 backups? Most people are covered with the 3-2-1 backup strategy.

Backup 1 from time t0 in location x, backup 2 from moment t1 in location y, backup 3 from moment t2 in location z.
    3 backups.

• What a scam.

• My IP is back to live but not assigned to my VM.
    This is the end.

• @deank said:
    The end is nigh.

Love this good old sentence

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ColderCoder said: This is the end.

• well .... I think I lost my money, my prepaid debit card company cannot make the refund request since it was an "unsecured" page and refuses to return the money.

Any ideas ?

• @ShalaWorks said:
    well .... I think I lost my money, my prepaid debit card company cannot make the refund request since it was an "unsecured" page and refuses to return the money.

Any ideas ?

Sorry to hear you were scammed man :-(

@hotlineservers wtf man.

• @ShalaWorks said:
    well .... I think I lost my money, my prepaid debit card company cannot make the refund request since it was an "unsecured" page and refuses to return the money.

Any ideas ?

I'm gonna start my refund process tomorrow. Hopefully since I paid with a credit card, I may have a bit more luck. Also, wasn't he using stripe for payments?

• KuYeHQKuYeHQ Member

me too(っ╥╯﹏╰╥c)

• Have you guys tried contacting Stripe via contact form / Twitter. I'm sure they will able to help since provider just scammed right away...

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@alexvolk said:
    Have you guys tried contacting Stripe via contact form / Twitter. I'm sure they will able to help since provider just scammed right away...

What exactly they can do?

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited July 2021

@key900 said:

@alexvolk said:
    Have you guys tried contacting Stripe via contact form / Twitter. I'm sure they will able to help since provider just scammed right away...

What exactly they can do?

They might help and refund if only bank denies charging back.

https://support.stripe.com/charge-lookup

Company basically disappeared while Brian was indeed alive and healthy (lol) manually deleting Hetrix uptime monitored servers confirms that. Brian will try to scam again and this type of human beings never change, at least his account will be closed and marked as fraud. Stripe or any other payment processor dislikes chargebacks because it cost them a lot of money and reputation risks.

• So he was also lying about his health issues too presumably?! That would be pathetic if true, considering everything..

• This is random, but I'm not going to rule out the possibility that @hotlineservers is actually @HostDoc

LET detectives.. is there anything to this?

• @dahartigan said:
    This is random, but I'm not going to rule out the possibility that @hotlineservers is actually @HostDoc

Pretty sure @DA_Mark was in contact with who ever was in charge of @hotlineservers because they ran a promo. Maybe he can give more insight

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @corbpie said:

@dahartigan said:
    This is random, but I'm not going to rule out the possibility that @hotlineservers is actually @HostDoc

Pretty sure @DA_Mark was in contact with who ever was in charge of @hotlineservers because they ran a promo. Maybe he can give more insight

Good thinking 99

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@corbpie said:

@dahartigan said:

He wouldn't be able to say much either, just like the whole MikePT and cociu thing.

• Maybe if anyone else knows something.. bring it to the table. This scam is fucked up on a bad level. Faking cancer to sell servers at 50% off constantly just to exit scam, that's beneath disgusting imo.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @dahartigan said:
    Maybe if anyone else knows something.. bring it to the table. This scam is fucked up on a bad level. Faking cancer to sell servers at 50% off constantly just to exit scam, that's beneath disgusting imo.

100000% this.

• @thedp said:

@corbpie said:

@dahartigan said:

He wouldn't be able to say much either, just like the whole MikePT and cociu thing.

What's the tl;dr on the MikePT cociu thing?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@lowending said:

@thedp said:

@corbpie said:

@dahartigan said:

What's the tl;dr on the MikePT cociu thing?

Post your question here and someone will eventually give you a TL;DR :D

• @dahartigan said:

Possible.

• @dahartigan said:
    Maybe if anyone else knows something.. bring it to the table. This scam is fucked up on a bad level. Faking cancer to sell servers at 50% off constantly just to exit scam, that's beneath disgusting imo.

Brian could've literally say "Hey guys, the pricing is not sustainable, I can return half your money" or "I need to raise pricing to keep up with the current model". Meh. I'm in a much better place than I was last week. Backing up 3 times a day and already rebuilt 80% of my clients websites.

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2021

@corbpie said:

All I can really say is that my communications with @hotlineservers were very positive. It seemed like someone who was trying really hard. That's why I felt like doing some free offers in the sales threads.

No insights to offer, unfortunately. Looks like someone who got up and walked away (for whatever reason).

• This is why the US needs to fix their insurance system.

Years ago, we bought a US company and one of the VP's was useless (nice guy, just fucking useless) and needed to be fired and replaced. But he had brain cancer and needed the job for insurance. Try firing a nice guy with brain cancer. What a drag that he's forced to work while getting treatment and we're stuck with shitty employee that is even more useless than useless.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited July 2021

I hate getting off-topic, but hate the health insurance system even more. Top cause of bankruptcies in the US, and hinders small biz growth.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited July 2021

I noticed a 224 area code phone number for hotlineservers. Shown within the credit card transactions that I am disputing. Curious if anyone tried calling? Not that it would do anything, scam is still a scam and data loss has happened, but may help with your credit card disputes.