Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hotlineservers are down - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hotlineservers are down

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2021

They even autogenerate the cron for you.
    There is also supported windows program but forgot name, I only use rarely for friends which don't want to fork 1 eur a month for a static IP.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Maounique said:
    There is also supported windows program but forgot name, I only use rarely for friends which don't want to fork 1 eur a month for a static IP.

Our residential ISPs here in the states on average charge $15/ip Some you can get as low as $5/ip. And thats IF they even let you have a static IP.

They also charge 30$ for 30 mbps in places, that doesn't mean is not cheap for you, same as it is cheap for us 1 Eur an IP or 9 Eur for 1 gbps. The ones offering 1 gbps at that price don't offer fixed IP unless you are a company, but they have IPv6 since 2011 something that others STILL don't have in 2021.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@seriesn said:

@stephfd21 said:
    Got my hands on an 8tb external hard drive and a 2nd laptop. Is there a setup I can use that can somehow send directadmin backups to my pc using ftp? This way I can have this laptop on at all times and receive scheduled backups from DA. @Francisco and @seriesn since you guys are my providers now, any ideas on this?

If your home computer doesn’t have a static IP, you can create some form of port forwarding, with a vpn, then you setup ftp server on your home computer and you know the drill.

Another one would be (if you want to go the “cheap” route) mounting google drive on your server, create a cron job to move your backup after they are created locally, to the drive and clean up existing backups.

To be honest, both of those are hack job and not recommended for business backup :(

Eh. I have to semi disagree rather if its a dynamic IP or Static IP.
    Yes, It's ideal for a Static IP but with services like NO-IP out there and using a domain like mydomain.no-ip.com (or your own) makes it easier to push things to your home.

>

Using domain instead of static IP does require a functioning DNS service and small window for IP update. The odd time the DNS server is unreachable, the backup fails. You generally want to remove things in the backup path that can fail.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@Maounique said:

Our residential ISPs here in the states on average charge $15/ip Some you can get as low as $5/ip. And thats IF they even let you have a static IP.

ive had the same ip for around a year. never asked for it or anything

• jon617jon617 Veteran

@Francisco said: So the guy logged into hetrix and removed his public records for the nodes.
    If he's too sick to email his customers, he should also be too sick to login to hetrix to delete his nodes.

Agree. This was a scam, whether planned or spontaneous.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Feels bad man, I paid via paypal but it was on December so I can't ask for refund.

Sucks that it was @DA_Mark 's money since he was the one who paid for the service

• @jahrinc said:
    Feels bad man, I paid via paypal but it was on December so I can't ask for refund.

Sucks that it was @DA_Mark 's money since he was the one who paid for the service

@DA_Mark is a saint.

Thanked by 2seriesn hotsnow
  • @dahartigan said: @DA_Mark is a saint.

Agree

@TimboJones said: The odd time the DNS server is unreachable, the backup fails.

That USUALLY happens when the router restarts. That will also cause the backup to fail anyway.
    I would be really pissed if my ISP is changing IP while I am playing a game online. I really hope that is not happening in US (or Canada).

• Anyone has found out anything about this?

My VPS has been down all this time, in Miami. I saw someone said they deleted their uptime page - their website does not connect / load / so I have not even been able to reach out for support.....

• @dopogio said:
    Anyone has found out anything about this?

My VPS has been down all this time, in Miami. I saw someone said they deleted their uptime page - their website does not connect / load / so I have not even been able to reach out for support.....

He exit scammed. This was a hard pill for me to swallow and a much needed wake up call on how I should handle backups. I just hope u had a backup of your data.

Thanked by 2yoursunny dahartigan
  • @stephfd21 said:

@dopogio said:

He exit scammed. This was a hard pill for me to swallow and a much needed wake up call on how I should handle backups. I just hope u had a backup of your data.

well that sucks for all of us affected, I wasn't expecting Brian to be this kind of person. My node was primarily my home privacy proxy / exit node. I will have to run a new script and re-do the whole IPv6 non routed /64 dance again - derp.

Now to find another Miami affordable provider after the holidays... who are y'all moving to?

• @dopogio said:

@stephfd21 said:

@dopogio said:

well that sucks for all of us affected, I wasn't expecting Brian to be this kind of person. My node was primarily my home privacy proxy / exit node. I will have to run a new script and re-do the whole IPv6 non routed /64 dance again - derp.

Now to find another Miami affordable provider after the holidays... who are y'all moving to?

I went with @Francisco and @seriesn
    If you want something cheap, I bought this off another LET user but I've decided that the setup looks too similar to Brian so the PTSD is killing me. Its from wishosting, lemme know if you want it,

KVM SSD NVMe Plus
    +. $11.99
    + 4 vCPU cores Ryzen 9 5950X
    + Unlimited CPU cores 3.7GHz Turbo
    + 8GB ECC RAM
    + 500GB SSD NVMe
    + Linux/Windows OS
    + Unmetered 250Mbps bandwidth
    + 1 IPv4
    + Private networking
    + DDoS protection
    + Location - France

• @stephfd21 said: wishosting

I don't want to jinx anything, but wishosting (@exception0x876) is very professional and has been in the game for years with virtually no drama.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • @dahartigan said:

@stephfd21 said: wishosting

I don't want to jinx anything, but wishosting (@exception0x876) is very professional and has been in the game for years with virtually no drama.

I bought the vps off another user, the plan above looks really good, dont give me hope :(

• @stephfd21 said:

@dahartigan said:

I bought the vps off another user, the plan above looks really good, dont give me hope :(

Search for "wishosting" in the forums, see if you can find any issues, then make your choice.

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited July 2021

@stephfd21 said:

@dahartigan said:

Used wishosting on and off for three years. I can recommend it.

Edit: I didn't realize an autocorrect error. It should be "off" and not "offline".

• CybrCybr Member

@poisson said:
    offline for three years. I can recommend it.

The cociu thread in a nutshell.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @stephfd21 said:

@dopogio said:

@stephfd21 said:

@dopogio said:

If you want something cheap, I bought this off another LET user but I've decided that the setup looks too similar to Brian so the PTSD is killing me. Its from wishosting, lemme know if you want it,

KVM SSD NVMe Plus
    +. $11.99
    + 8GB ECC RAM
    + 500GB SSD NVMe
    + Linux/Windows OS
    + 1 IPv4
    + Private networking
    + DDoS protection
    + Location - France

I'm aware of how good wishosting is and how long he's been in business, but if people are saying hotlineservers was unsustainable to begin with with his plans, how does this look sustainable?

• @lowending said:

@stephfd21 said:

@dopogio said:

@stephfd21 said:

@dopogio said:

KVM SSD NVMe Plus
    +. $11.99
    + 8GB ECC RAM
    + 500GB SSD NVMe
    + Linux/Windows OS
    + 1 IPv4
    + Private networking
    + DDoS protection
    + Location - France

I'm aware of how good wishosting is and how long he's been in business, but if people are saying hotlineservers was unsustainable to begin with with his plans, how does this look sustainable?

Wishoting uses OVH for their infra, which could reduce the cost of the operation.

• @Arirang said:

@lowending said:

@stephfd21 said:

@dopogio said:

@stephfd21 said:

@dopogio said:

KVM SSD NVMe Plus
    +. $11.99
    + 8GB ECC RAM
    + 500GB SSD NVMe
    + Linux/Windows OS
    + 1 IPv4
    + Private networking
    + DDoS protection
    + Location - France

Wishoting uses OVH for their infra, which could reduce the cost of the operation.

I understand but my heart cant take it after what happened to me. I've began digging myself out the shit hole I'm in, my customers are more understanding than I thought they would be, roughly 20% are extremely pissed but I have plans to fix it all. Google's cachedview.com has all my client's text data and blogs so I was able to scrape a ton of stuff and re-populate.

• FalzoFalzo Member

while it is good to do some due diligence on any provider you want to use in production, don't forget that everyone can literally die or have their datacenter burn down in one night, no matter how small or big they are. so while you would not want to jump on obvious bad apples, still a big portion of your future plans should be how to (easily) recover from another impact that can hit you anytime regardless how careful you chose.

f.i. your idea about saving data at home - can be a part of your backup strategy but should not be first line of defense. hetzner, storage box - most likely a much better choice for primary backup.

and don't forget to properly test if your backup/recovery plans are working, so you don't have to find out only when it's too late...

Thanked by 3jsg exception0x876 Elmo
  • @Falzo said:
    while it is good to do some due diligence on any provider you want to use in production, don't forget that everyone can literally die or have their datacenter burn down in one night, no matter how small or big they are. so while you would not want to jump on obvious bad apples, still a big portion of your future plans should be how to (easily) recover from another impact that can hit you anytime regardless how careful you chose.

f.i. your idea about saving data at home - can be a part of your backup strategy but should not be first line of defense. hetzner, storage box - most likely a much better choice for primary backup.

and don't forget to properly test if your backup/recovery plans are working, so you don't have to find out only when it's too late...

Thanks, yea I'm looking at setting up 3 locations for local backups and pushing for my clients to have their own backup solutions as well.

• @seriesn i know I already purchased a package from you but is there anyway I can still send you my hotline server receipt and get some of the switch benefits on the current plan?

• @stephfd21 said:
    @seriesn i know I already purchased a package from you but is there anyway I can still send you my hotline server receipt and get some of the switch benefits on the current plan?

What's up boss,
    If you you have the right plan and billing term,
    https://my.nexusbytes.com/knowledgebase/31/Switcher-Special-and-Contract-Buy-Out-Guidelines.html

Drop a ticket :)

• And now it seems like the IPs are no longer advertised from ReliableSite and now from Free Range Cloud. Seems like their ip provider have taken the ips back. but the WHOIS on the ip still says hotlineservers so not sure

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The rule of thumb in life, not just in web hosting.

Never. Trust. Fucking. Anyone.

Another is that you either have a backup or you don't. There is no middle ground.

edited July 2021

@deank said: There is no middle ground.

There is, I have had to contend with partial backups many times and almost always able to recover.
    That being said, those experiences convinced me the rule of 3 is golden.
    3 backups at 3 different moments in 3 different places.
    When Dogecoin went up, I looked for my backed-up wallet from 2014, to quote the latest experience. One of the disks went bad, the DVD was unreadable, but the disk I keep at another house for events like earthquakes and fires provided me with almost 20k coins to sell at 41 cents.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited July 2021

@dahartigan said:

Annnnndd jinxed. Best of luck, @exception0x876.