Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Fashionably Late Black Friday & Cyber Week 2020 ★ Flash Deals ★ View inside ★ $7/Yr 512M - Page 57
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Fashionably Late Black Friday & Cyber Week 2020 ★ Flash Deals ★ View inside ★ $7/Yr 512M

Comments

• Is it really possible to send 21TB in a month without trigger any point in AUP ?

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • Anyone here using VPSHARED service from Virmach?

• @mansoor said:
    Anyone here using VPSHARED service from Virmach?

yes.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ben47955 said:
    Is it really possible to send 21TB in a month without trigger any point in AUP ?

I can send 108 Gbps using 6 Cascade Lake cores running at full speed.
    Assuming Virmach's core is half as powerful and you can only use 1 core (33% of 3 cores), my program could transmit at 9 Gbps - faster than the Ethernet port.
    Therefore, CPU isn't a bottleneck.

Suppose you can use half of the 1 Gbps port, at 500 Mbps, you can transmit 5400 GByte daily. You can use up 21 TB in less than 4 days.

As for "conntrack sessions", you can work around that by always sending to the same destination.

• @Unicom said:

@mansoor said:

yes.

ny1.vpshared.com by any chance? httpd has been down for 20 hours now and no response from Virmach

@mansoor said:

@Unicom said:

@mansoor said:

yes.

ny1.vpshared.com by any chance? httpd has been down for 20 hours now and no response from Virmach

1. Create a new thread under Outages category.
    2. Include the priority of your ticket in the title.
  • @yoursunny said: Suppose you can use half of the 1 Gbps port, at 500 Mbps, you can transmit 5400 GByte daily. You can use up 21 TB in less than 4 days.

I personally would bet that if you locked in a 500Mbps link you'd be suspended well before four days were up.... ;-)

@skorous said:

@yoursunny said: Suppose you can use half of the 1 Gbps port, at 500 Mbps, you can transmit 5400 GByte daily. You can use up 21 TB in less than 4 days.

I personally would bet that if you locked in a 500Mbps link you'd be suspended well before four days were up.... ;-)

You can buy the package and try. If you get suspended, I'll do 47 push-ups in your honor.

• Oh man i feel totally lost with Virmach xD! It's like their solusvm panel is not linked to the VPS at all.

• I've tried to change boot order for cdrom only, it stays stuck on hdd first (yeah i've reboot, shutdown and tried also power off)
    • When ordering i' ve choosed custom iso, even if i've read somewhere it's only for premium kvm ; for me if the option is shown this mean its available (i question the point to not allow custom iso also)
    • When i cdrom mount netboot.xyz, nothing change too (even if the vps tries to boot on cdrom after failing with hdd cause of no os, it finds nothing in cdrom)
    • Options in virmach billing panel are not the same as in solusvm

What i just want is an Alpine Linux, and i wanted to be a nice customer and not asking them to download and mount the iso for me. I guess this is the purpose of "KVM lite" mention.

Anyone figured it out with this? Should i ask for the Alpine Linux iso i want (using the field in the VPS configuration in the billing panel)?

• 8nation8nation Member
    edited December 2020

@o_be_one said: It's like their solusvm panel is not linked to the VPS at all.

There have been some issues recently but I believe they're fixed now. A quick question - did you shutdown and restart the VPS after changing SolusVM options? If not, try that.

Another idea to get netboot.xyz working...

• Start with the default build or get Debian (any version) auto installed on the VPS via Control Panel or SolusVM.
    • ssh in as root
    • Download some files...
      cd /
      wget -4 https://boot.netboot.xyz/ipxe/netboot.xyz.lkrn
      wget -4 https://boot.netboot.xyz/ipxe/netboot.xyz.efi

• Add this to /etc/grub.d/40_custom
      menuentry "netboot.xyz" --hotkey=n {
      if [ "${grub_platform}" == "efi" ]; then
      chainloader /netboot.xyz.efi
      else
      linux16 /netboot.xyz.lkrn
      fi
      }

• Start watching the VPS console via vnc / novnc etc

• Run these back in the ssh session...
      update-grub
      reboot

• Watch the VPS console. When it reboots it will have a netboot.xyz option on the grub boot menu, choose that.

Hope it helps get you going.

• o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited December 2020

@8nation said:

@o_be_one said: It's like their solusvm panel is not linked to the VPS at all.

There have been some issues recently but I believe they're fixed now. A quick question - did you shutdown and restart the VPS after changing SolusVM options? If not, try that.

Another idea to get netboot.xyz working...

• Start with the default build or get Debian (any version) auto installed on the VPS via Control Panel or SolusVM.
    • ssh in as root
    • Download some files...
      cd /
      wget -4 https://boot.netboot.xyz/ipxe/netboot.xyz.lkrn
      wget -4 https://boot.netboot.xyz/ipxe/netboot.xyz.efi

• Add this to /etc/grub.d/40_custom
      menuentry "netboot.xyz" --hotkey=n {
      if [ "${grub_platform}" == "efi" ]; then
      chainloader /netboot.xyz.efi
      else
      linux16 /netboot.xyz.lkrn
      fi
      }

• Start watching the VPS console via vnc / novnc etc

• Run these back in the ssh session...
      update-grub
      reboot

• Watch the VPS console. When it reboots it will have a netboot.xyz option on the grub boot menu, choose that.

Hope it helps get you going.

Yeah as stated in my first post i've trop power off, shutdown and reboot from both panels (whmcs and solusvm).

Wow cool thanks :D ! I was looking to bootstrap Alpine from Ubuntu ahah ^^. Thanks for this howto, i appreciate and will probably use it.

• @o_be_one said: I was looking to bootstrap Alpine from Ubuntu

Those instructions will probably work on Ubuntu as well.

I don't know Alpine, but if they have a small ISO like Debian's netinst you might be able to boot that up from grub using a similar entry in the 40_custom file. Search around and you might find the right entry to make.

There's a few ways to get things going. Enjoy! :)

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • @8nation said:

@o_be_one said: I was looking to bootstrap Alpine from Ubuntu

Those instructions will probably work on Ubuntu as well.

I don't know Alpine, but if they have a small ISO like Debian's netinst you might be able to boot that up from grub using a similar entry in the 40_custom file. Search around and you might find the right entry to make.

There's a few ways to get things going. Enjoy! :)

Yeah Alpine Linux is really light, less than 100mb. It's a lot used as base image with Docker container, there is almost nothing installed by default on Alpine XD.
    I was going to follow this:
    https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Replacing_non-Alpine_Linux_with_Alpine_remotely

Thanked by 1TheWizard
  • @o_be_one said: I was going to follow this:

https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Replacing_non-Alpine_Linux_with_Alpine_remotely

Haha. Yep, this kind of install style will work with almost any initial distro...

dd if=alpine-virt-3.5.2-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sda

You'll find you just need to change the device name to this...

dd if=alpine-virt-3.5.2-x86_64.iso of=/dev/vda

Apologies if you knew that one already. Overall those instructions look pretty tidy and easy to follow.

• @8nation said: Apologies if you knew that one already. Overall those instructions look pretty tidy and easy to follow.

No worry, more help is better than not enough :D; also it can helps any other reader. Thanks for pointing this :)

Thanked by 18nation
  • vm is not attached to given i.p.

• I think the flash deals bot is borked again.

• @Bertie said:
    I think the flash deals bot is borked again.

All this talk about Alpine Linux has VirBot doling out the tiny storage VMs again...

• @randomq said: All this talk about Alpine Linux has VirBot doling out the tiny storage VMs again...

For the next 20 posts, nobody talk about anything else, but Windows 2016 Server, and Oracle 18c XE then! That should guarantee us ~40 GB disks as a minimum!

• @o_be_one said:
    Oh man i feel totally lost with Virmach xD! It's like their solusvm panel is not linked to the VPS at all.

• I've tried to change boot order for cdrom only, it stays stuck on hdd first (yeah i've reboot, shutdown and tried also power off)
    • When ordering i' ve choosed custom iso, even if i've read somewhere it's only for premium kvm ; for me if the option is shown this mean its available (i question the point to not allow custom iso also)
    • When i cdrom mount netboot.xyz, nothing change too (even if the vps tries to boot on cdrom after failing with hdd cause of no os, it finds nothing in cdrom)
    • Options in virmach billing panel are not the same as in solusvm

What i just want is an Alpine Linux, and i wanted to be a nice customer and not asking them to download and mount the iso for me. I guess this is the purpose of "KVM lite" mention.

Anyone figured it out with this? Should i ask for the Alpine Linux iso i want (using the field in the VPS configuration in the billing panel)?

I've got one VM from 2019 that's just like this, the rest of mine work fine. I don't know if there was an error in the creation process or what happened, but no matter what iso you select, the cdrom is empty. Trying to mount the cdrom from a shell says the same. I never got around to putting a ticket in about it and worked around it doing something similar to the suggestion from @8nation. If you don't have any luck with netboot, you should open a ticket, the iso mount in solus should normally work.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • $5/yr
    KVM - 1 GIGABIT
    384MB RAM
    1 vCORE
    10GB SSD (RAID 10)
    1000GB BANDWIDTH
    BUFFALO, NY LOCATION
    1 DEDICATED IPv4

CHEAP IP, yet @Neoon says it's a no go!

@Neoon said: Listen, we are here on LET right.
    Means we hunt for the best price/what ever the fuck you get ratio.
    If you get 256MB for 3.6$/y its fucking terrible whatever that fucking algo says there, which is a peace of dogshit.
    You get a 2GB KVM for 8$/y or as said before 1GB KVM for 5$/y.

• @mansoor said:

@Unicom said:

@mansoor said:

yes.

Yes same. NY1

• 10GB SSD (RAID 10)
    17000GB BANDWIDTH

For what? :o

• @Unicom said:

10GB SSD (RAID 10)
    17000GB BANDWIDTH

It would be great for starting a summer host: 50MB disk with a generous 1GB BW and you'll still have a huge BW buffer.

@user123 said:

@Unicom said:

10GB SSD (RAID 10)
    17000GB BANDWIDTH

It would be great for starting a summer host: 50MB disk with a generous 1GB BW and you'll still have a huge BW buffer.

The true summer host offers generous unlimited transfer in exotic locations, albeit at a lower bandwidth because satellites.

• davidcrystaldavidcrystal Member
    edited December 2020

edited

• Today deals lack of manual deals, @VirMach is MIA (or working hard and have no time for us).

• @JabJab said:
    $5/yr
    KVM - 1 GIGABIT
    384MB RAM
    1 vCORE
    10GB SSD (RAID 10)
    1000GB BANDWIDTH
    BUFFALO, NY LOCATION
    1 DEDICATED IPv4

>

Region: Global https://bench.monster v.1.5.4 2020-09-30

Usage : curl -LsO bench.monster/speedtest.sh; bash speedtest.sh -Global

Virt/Kernel : KVM / 3.10.0-1160.6.1.el7.x86_64
    CPU Model : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    CPU Cores : 1 @ 2199.998 MHz x86_64 4096 KB Cache
    CPU Flags : AES-NI Disabled & VM-x/AMD-V Disabled
    Load Average : 0.22, 0.11, 0.06
    Total Space : 9.6G (1.7G ~18% used)
    Total RAM : 361 MB (101 MB + 200 MB Buff in use)
    Total SWAP : 255 MB (0 MB in use)

Uptime : 0 days 0:4

ASN & ISP : AS36352, ColoCrossing
    Organization : Virtual Machine Solutions LLC

Region : New York

## Geekbench v4 CPU Benchmark:

Single Core : 1344 (POOR)
    Multi Core : 1377

## IO Test

CPU Speed:
    bzip2 : 44.5 MB/s
    sha256 : 76.7 MB/s
    md5sum : 185 MB/s

RAM Speed:
    Avg. write : 952.1 MB/s
    Avg. read : 2389.3 MB/s

Disk Speed:
    1st run : 82.7 MB/s
    2nd run : 121 MB/s
    3rd run : 170 MB/s

Average : 124.6 MB/s

## Global Speedtest

Location Upload Download Ping

Nearby 217.02 Mbit/s 413.61 Mbit/s 35.295 ms

USA, New York (Optimum) 354.79 Mbit/s 448.21 Mbit/s 11.554 ms
    USA, Chicago (Windstream) 395.18 Mbit/s 386.40 Mbit/s 10.968 ms
    USA, Dallas (Frontier) 135.46 Mbit/s 323.75 Mbit/s 46.083 ms
    USA, Miami (Frontier) 121.80 Mbit/s 289.21 Mbit/s 42.596 ms
    USA, Los Angeles (Windstream) 143.08 Mbit/s 322.51 Mbit/s 52.753 ms
    UK, London (toob Ltd) 108.93 Mbit/s 225.36 Mbit/s 76.829 ms
    France, Lyon (SFR) 151.05 Mbit/s 49.74 Mbit/s 88.087 ms
    Germany, Berlin (DNS:NET) 136.61 Mbit/s 60.74 Mbit/s 105.827 ms
    Spain, Madrid (MasMovil) 121.91 Mbit/s 204.09 Mbit/s 107.949 ms
    Italy, Rome (Unidata) 129.01 Mbit/s 119.14 Mbit/s 113.804 ms
    Russia, Moscow (Rostelecom) 16.09 Mbit/s 137.05 Mbit/s 126.956 ms
    Israel, Haifa (013Netvision) 102.89 Mbit/s 70.48 Mbit/s 148.262 ms
    India, New Delhi (GIGATEL) 59.82 Mbit/s 107.90 Mbit/s 225.835 ms
    Singapore (FirstMedia) 22.60 Mbit/s 13.52 Mbit/s 231.351 ms
    Japan, Tsukuba (SoftEther) 110.38 Mbit/s 118.24 Mbit/s 160.475 ms
    Australia, Sydney (Optus) 40.24 Mbit/s 67.99 Mbit/s 230.559 ms
    RSA, Randburg (Cool Ideas) 45.38 Mbit/s 74.72 Mbit/s 229.032 ms

Brazil, Sao Paulo (Criare) 51.06 Mbit/s 156.30 Mbit/s 159.225 ms

Finished in : 13 min 59 sec
    Timestamp : 2020-12-10 03:14:56 GMT
    Saved in : /root/speedtest.log

thank you virmach
    cheaper than shared hosting

• @ZA_capetown said:
    To: @swat4 , MS , and all others who are new or unfamiliar with Virmach

You can relax. Everything will be fine. :smile:

Virmach is known to be fair and generous and to do even way more than is required to resolve any problems that might pop up.

I understand that you can be worried and start to expect the worst with every hour passing (which might feel like an eternity).
    My first flash sale I was also nervous, and 6 hours felt like forever.

But relax. Everything will be fine.

There are many thousands of transactions during these flash sales.
    Most of them go fairly smoothly and quickly.

They have systems in place to track most of what goes wrong and fix it without you having to do anything.
    For those that they miss, you can open a ticket.

Due to the volume of transactions and tickets, it does take some time.

In a couple of days, (a week or so tops), they should've caught up with almost everything. :smiley:

At worst, you'll be fully refunded.

Virmach is not a summer-host (fly-by-night/runs-away-with-your-money) company

• I've been using them happily for years now. So have many others here.

(ps: I'm not a representative, nor working for, or officially making any enforcement. I'm only a regular simple customer since 2018, trying to give some worried newbies some assurance that they don't have to stress too much) :wink:

Thanks for your information - well - I can't answer on the behalf of anyone else but let me share with you my thoughts.

Yes, indeed I am new and haven't heard of VirMach before this sales thread. I did grab some BF deals from providers where people have been crying all day long, asking for delivery time. Let me give you two most relevant examples.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/168148/george-datacenter-black-weekend-black-friday-every-day#latest

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/168301/black-friday-2020-nvme-and-storage-deals-deploy-worldwide#latest

I didn't even bother to leave a message under the thread or contact via ticekt after paying. Why? Because the provision time has been clearly stated in the first page - George 24 hours (or more) and HostHatch by 31 Dec. Simple as that.

Correct me if I am wrong - I didn't read every page so I only referred to the first post - There seems to be without clear indication of delivery time. The closest bet is "Please anticipate your service to potentially not be functional for a few days before you can contact us for a resolution".

Well again - With such crazy price, I guess it is not too bad to wait for a month (like HostHatch) but would it be better if they could remove "the 1-2 hours provision time" on the invoice? I believe it could have helped avoided many enquiries from their clientele. Just let people know the timeframe clearly and everyone is happy.

For me, I really don't mind the wait - As I have too many boxes, I need to rely on monitor tool to organize them. So my practice is - Once a VPS is provisioned, I will organize the filing of the invoice and put it up on the uptime monitor and off I go. It just sits there. Once this is done, then done.

• password_password_ Member
    edited December 2020

What are people using their windows server for?

Thanked by 2Bertie randomq