Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 85
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Yup definitely HostHatch’s new FAQ page.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

MS said:
    Hi @hosthatch,

Have you considered Iceland as one of your locations? I'm asking because you are adding various locations considered exotic by many, and Iceland surely is one such location. Many privacy-oriented services are choosing Iceland for storing their data. A few examples, Vivaldi, 1984, and CTemplar.

I've seen IPs of AdvaniaDC (Thor Data Center) a lot in Whois. They look like a popular choice there, but you would know better about DCs and Networks.

If you ever had a thread about suggestions for a new location, my choice would've been Iceland.

We already have a list of the locations (some of them exotic) we plan to expand in the coming year. It's very capital intensive unfortunately (both time and money wise) so we don't have a fixed timeline.

I remember talking to ThorDC and it was crazy expensive (even more than what we pay in Hong Kong and Sydney...which is some serious money), but that was a few years ago so things might have changed. So I will check again, thanks for the note :)

Although our immediate focus for Q1 2021 is to get our new support team into play and provide excellent technical support to every customer, and not too much focus on expansions/promotions.

• BTW, there's some graphical glitch on the login screen, the "Password" string remains in the field after the browser's autofill has kicked in, this is clearly outrageous and unbearable, please refund or I'll sue

Weird .. I don't see it.

• PandoGulfPandoGulf Veteran
    edited December 2020

@hosthatch said:

1x 2.9+ GHz Core (25% dedicated)
    > 1 GB RAM
    > 10 GB NVMe SSD storage
    > 1 Gbps connection
    > 1 TB bandwidth
    > 1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6 included
    > $11 per year
    > $25 per year, if you buy all 3 together
    > 
    > https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/nvme-1-ams
    > https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/nvme-1-chi
    > https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/nvme-1-sto
    > 

For the combo of 3 order - please order, pay the price, and ask us for a credit refund. >(I'm >sorry but there is no other quicker way to do this)

For this combo deal (am,sto,chi) I have an open ticket for credit refund but can you please create a combined invoice for all three location for future renewals.

• @hosthatch said: hey guys - not sensing as much negativity and strange questions as in the past few days, maybe its time to start hating on the font that we use on our website or something?

Blasphemy! Roboto is the perfect web font.

• @CjayVPS said:
    Anyone have experience with the 8GB 2 Core NVME Server from @hosthatch in combination with proxmox ? Hopefully the CPU fit the power from windows and linux VM in proxmox :D One question @hosthatch can we upgrade the CPU with more cores ?

this is a not so clever idea to begin with...

• the 2 cores are unlikely enough for a smooth experience even if they were dedicated and here they clearly are not but instead only burstable and otherwise restricted to half a core in total to be used constantly.
    • luckily in this case there is no support for (full) nested virtualisation anyway as the according cpu flags are not passed through. therefore no kvm in proxmox is possible which means no windows guest either.

for the upgrades on cpu cores, see @thedp answer above... you would have needed to order multiple servers to have it combined later on

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • @hosthatch How I can ensure that I don't use the CPU more than 100 percent that I bought ? For example i would like to host 2-3 VMs in my VM but I don't want to oversize your limits

• If I host an Windows system for sure I will reach continuously the limit of 2 cores can you make an limit that I don't use to much ?

• jokotanjokotan Member
    edited December 2020

@Shot2 said:
    BTW, there's some graphical glitch on the login screen, the "Password" string remains in the field after the browser's autofill has kicked in, this is clearly outrageous and unbearable, please refund or I'll sue

Glad that I'm still reading this thread.

How in the universe you login to your account at the beginning to add the funds, by the way? :smiley:

EDIT: Lol, got it

@CjayVPS said:
    @hosthatch How I can ensure that I don't use the CPU more than 100 percent that I bought ? For example i would like to host 2-3 VMs in my VM but I don't want to oversize your limits

If you do not know how to do this, please find a managed VPS provider who can help you with these things.

• @hosthatch said:

@yolo_me said: Started using mine as a seedbox

Yes that's going to end very well.

inb4 'butbutbut torrent/seedbox are not mentioned in ToS or AUP'

Unacceptable use includes, but are not limited to, any of the following: Posting, transmission, re-transmission, or storing material on or through any of HostHatch products or services, if in the sole judgment of HostHatch such posting, transmission, re-transmission or storage is:
    (e) in violation of local law or regulation (including rights protected by copyright, trade secret, patent or other intellectual property or similar laws or regulations);

&

Prohibited Usage
    Any CPU, disk or network abusing software. Including but not limited to

Thanked by 2brueggus FrankZ
  • @hosthatch said:

MS said:
    Hi @hosthatch,

Have you considered Iceland as one of your locations? I'm asking because you are adding various locations considered exotic by many, and Iceland surely is one such location. Many privacy-oriented services are choosing Iceland for storing their data. A few examples, Vivaldi, 1984, and CTemplar.

I've seen IPs of AdvaniaDC (Thor Data Center) a lot in Whois. They look like a popular choice there, but you would know better about DCs and Networks.

If you ever had a thread about suggestions for a new location, my choice would've been Iceland.

We already have a list of the locations (some of them exotic) we plan to expand in the coming year. It's very capital intensive unfortunately (both time and money wise) so we don't have a fixed timeline.

I remember talking to ThorDC and it was crazy expensive (even more than what we pay in Hong Kong and Sydney...which is some serious money), but that was a few years ago so things might have changed. So I will check again, thanks for the note :)

Although our immediate focus for Q1 2021 is to get our new support team into play and provide excellent technical support to every customer, and not too much focus on expansions/promotions.

• @hosthatch said:

@CjayVPS said:
    @hosthatch How I can ensure that I don't use the CPU more than 100 percent that I bought ? For example i would like to host 2-3 VMs in my VM but I don't want to oversize your limits

If you do not know how to do this, please find a managed VPS provider who can help you with these things.

But if I look into htop I only can see my CPU usage
    How should I know that it exceeds the general limit I only see what I use that means I am only allowed to limit my usage to 50 percent of the CPU ?or how should I track that?

• @hosthatch I use what I have booked I say proxmox do not use 3 cores if I have only booked 2 so it does not fall under abuse.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited December 2020

@CjayVPS said:

@hosthatch said:

@CjayVPS said:

How should I know that it exceeds the general limit I only see what I use that means I am only allowed to limit my usage to 50 percent of the CPU ?or how should I track that?

clearly an unmanaged vserver is not for you. windows as nested kvm guest is not supported, so your idea will not be doable anyway.

PS: and if you have an application that you already know will consume more than what you are allowed to use unless you manually limit it somehow, then this should make it clear to you, that it is the wrong application to put on that server in the first place.

@CjayVPS said:
    @hosthatch I use what I have booked I say proxmox do not use 3 cores if I have only booked 2 so it does not fall under abuse.

Can you please tell me your email so I can refund you and we don't have any problems or un-needed stress in the future? :)

• @Falzo said:

@CjayVPS said:

@hosthatch said:

@CjayVPS said:

clearly an unmanaged vserver is not for you. windows as nested kvm guest is not supported, so your idea will not be doable anyway.

Sure I can install windows I tried

• LOL, smart decision.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

. > @CjayVPS said:

Anyone have experience with the 8GB 2 Core NVME Server from @hosthatch in combination with proxmox ? Hopefully the CPU fit the power from windows and linux VM in proxmox

Proxmox is a bit heavy for a VPS... I'd recommend using LXD along with LXDUI (https://github.com/AdaptiveScale/lxdui) if you want a web UI. This would only let you run Linux containers, however it's very likely that the Hosthatch VPS does not have nested virtualization enabled, so you can't easily run a Windows VM anyways (it'd run using emulation, which is too slow and heavy for production usage)

If you want to run Windows VMs within your own VM, you want something with nested virtualization. This is generally only enabled on VPSes with dedicated CPU.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • Salomon123Salomon123 Member
    edited December 2020

@CjayVPS said:

@Falzo said:

@CjayVPS said:

@hosthatch said:

@CjayVPS said:

He’s not asking you to install windows, you’re NOT allowed to do it he’s saying

• @hosthatch I already asked if I can install windows and you said it is okay.

• @CjayVPS said:

as kvm guest under proxmox? huh, then might be the NVME machines have that VMX flag set.
    however - it's still a bad idea and might be considered against TOS/AUP.

btw: even if you set a cpu limit in proxmox that won't work like you expect it to do. these limits are to balance the available power between the guests which usually does not translate directly into limits against the host vms ressources.

@CjayVPS said:
    @hosthatch I already asked if I can install windows and you said it is okay.

Yes - and either you seem to not understand what I said was okay and should not be using an unmanaged service, or you are just a very 'pleasant' customer.

Either way - you are going to have a lot of trouble in the future with us. You will likely come back to this forum and complain, and I will simply point you towards my comment asking for your email so I could provide a refund....regardless of the problem you are complaining about at that point in the future. I am saving you all that trouble by offering you a full refund now (actually, I will send you $10 more than what you paid to not use our service).

• PandoGulfPandoGulf Veteran
    edited December 2020

@hosthatch said:
    (actually, I will send you $10 more than what you paid to not use our service).

LOL

Thanked by 2Daniel15 FrankZ
  • @hosthatch said: I will send you $10 more than what you paid to not use our service).

Pro tip: Act really dump to actually MAKE money on black friday xD

• @hosthatch said:

@CjayVPS said:
    @hosthatch I already asked if I can install windows and you said it is okay.

Yes - and either you seem to not understand what I said was okay and should not be using an unmanaged service, or you are just a very 'pleasant' customer.

Either way - you are going to have a lot of trouble in the future with us. You will likely come back to this forum and complain, and I will simply point you towards my comment asking for your email so I could provide a refund....regardless of the problem you are complaining about at that point in the future. I am saving you all that trouble by offering you a full refund now (actually, I will send you $10 more than what you paid to not use our service).

All good thanks for the offer i just want to know one thing i am allowed to install and use a Windows ISO or are only allowed Linux systems independent now from proxmox.

• @hosthatch I love your humor I wish you were my boss :)

• sammsamm Member
    edited December 2020

@CjayVPS It is wise to take full refund+$10 extra now rather than using service for one month and then get suspended and lose the rest of your 11 months of service. :D

edited December 2020

@CjayVPS said:
    All good thanks for the offer i just want to know one thing i am allowed to install and use a Windows ISO or are only allowed Linux systems independent now from proxmox.

I will make the offer sweeter for you.

I will give you $10 out of my pocket on top of a full refund, and donate $50 to a charity of your choice. Please do it for the children who need help.

You are not in for a pleasant ride ahead if you continue using our service.

If you do not accept this offer, please do not come back on LET to complain about whatever problems you are going to face in the near future.

• @CjayVPS said: i just want to know one thing

The problem is you can't ask that question in a vacuum. Doing what you're trying to do effectively guarantees you forfeit your money because Windows * will * use enough CPU/Memory to violate the AUP.