Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDoc are closing down - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDoc are closing down

Comments

• @poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@deank said:
    Try swimming in freezing Scottish sea.

You will forget about your morals.

too busy thinking about blue balls

"Blue balls" doesn't mean what you think it means...

I perfectly understand what it is. What you don't understand is your own lack of linguistic depth because all you can do is to interpret using the most common frames.

Haha that's a nuclear burn :-P

• @jamuja said:

@MikeA said:
    Well, charging back from the companies you use as a provider is rather shitty...

I never have my customers charging me back. What's the likely outcome in this hostdoc case for the upstream providers?

In the end, who will foot the bill and take loss?
    I mean is it as easy like this in US for getting charge back and no fighting chance?

I know end users will likely get their money back from PayPal etc. To think of it, I've been very lucky chatting money from customers for the past 15 years and not a single charge back other than stupid PayPal dispute that's easily be won.

I don't sell hosting...well not in the way it's sold here but for a chargeback they usually ask the merchant for documentation. If the merchant provider decides you were right the merchant keeps the money, if they decide the merchant is wrong they issue the refund and make the merchant pay a chargeback fee.

They might be able to fight this one if it was a recurring billing that they were doing for a while.

I got an email I think last week that Visa is changing something about how merchants should handle recurring billing, I don't think it's gone into effect yet though.

• @spun said:

@jamuja said:

@MikeA said:
    Well, charging back from the companies you use as a provider is rather shitty...

I never have my customers charging me back. What's the likely outcome in this hostdoc case for the upstream providers?

In the end, who will foot the bill and take loss?
    I mean is it as easy like this in US for getting charge back and no fighting chance?

I know end users will likely get their money back from PayPal etc. To think of it, I've been very lucky chatting money from customers for the past 15 years and not a single charge back other than stupid PayPal dispute that's easily be won.

I don't sell hosting...well not in the way it's sold here but for a chargeback they usually ask the merchant for documentation. If the merchant provider decides you were right the merchant keeps the money, if they decide the merchant is wrong they issue the refund and make the merchant pay a chargeback fee.

They might be able to fight this one if it was a recurring billing that they were doing for a while.

I got an email I think last week that Visa is changing something about how merchants should handle recurring billing, I don't think it's gone into effect yet though.

I work per project as a side business. The good thing is it's very clear line of deliverables so I never get charged back. Once a project is done, I completed receiving the rest of the fee, excluding small recurring billing for support etc. That and combination that my customers are nice people I guess.😁

• jamuja said: I know end users will likely get their money back from PayPal

I disagree, end users will unlikely get their money back

• @poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@deank said:

I perfectly understand what it is. What you don't understand is your own lack of linguistic depth because all you can do is to interpret using the most common frames.

Jesus, it's pretty clear you don't understand what "blue balls" are. What a dumb reply.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Blue balls is a condition often described by sexually frustrated dudes as a painful tingling in the balls accompanied by a slight blue tinge of the scrotum skin. It's caused (or at least claimed to be caused) by a buildup of unreleased semen. Thanks Cosmo!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Jeremy Crackson would have loved blue ball jokes.

• doctor doctor, what shall I do? my balls are blue and full of goo :scream:

• @TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@deank said:

Jesus, it's pretty clear you don't understand what "blue balls" are. What a dumb reply.

You obviously fail in English literature. Sad!

• @poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@deank said:

"What you don't understand is your own lack of linguistic depth because all you can do is to interpret using the most common frames."

Yeah, I wish I wrote this word salad while having no clue what you're responding to... it was just a joke, not even AT you, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

• @TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@deank said:

"What you don't understand is your own lack of linguistic depth because all you can do is to interpret using the most common frames."

Yeah, I wish I wrote this word salad while having no clue what you're responding to... it was just a joke, not even AT you, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

It is word salad to people who have no linguistic depth. Enjoy your salad.

• @poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@deank said:

Blue balls is linguistic depth? Lol.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 2020

@TimboJones said:

For someone without linguistic depth? Probably yes. Your response suggests so.

• I am a cunning linguistic depth charge. :tongue:

Discuss.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • AK_KWHAK_KWH Member, Patron Provider

@uptime said:
    doctor doctor, what shall I do? my balls are blue and full of goo :scream:

LoL HaHaHa

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@deank said:

So, how many meanings of blue do you know?

• 4d4m4d4m Member
    edited February 2020

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@deank said:

So, how many meanings of blue do you know?

Two. Could be in reference to his emotional state ("I have the blues") instead of being the color blue. Maybe his balls are just sad? Or maybe both? Blue balls with a case of the blues.

• 4d4m said: Two. Could be in reference to his emotional state ("I have the blues") instead of being the color blue. Maybe his balls are just sad? Or maybe both? Blue balls with a case of the blues.

Could be his balls are singing the blues, or playing the blues.

• LeeLee Veteran

I take it that nobody has had any contact with him at all? For those that have put in a claim, has Paypal refunded anyone?

• @Lee said:
    I take it that nobody has had any contact with him at all? For those that have put in a claim, has Paypal refunded anyone?

Depending on the merchant's relationship and trading history, or the time frame paypal may deny refund requests, however, if multiple buyers start disputing within similar time frame, chances are that paypal will side with the buyers and put that merchant account on hold.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2020

seriesn said: chances are that paypal will side with the buyers and put that merchant account on hold.

That is what I have been expecting. By now.

• marvelmarvel Member
    edited February 2020

@seriesn said:

@Lee said:

Depending on the merchant's relationship and trading history, or the time frame paypal may deny refund requests, however, if multiple buyers start disputing within similar time frame, chances are that paypal will side with the buyers and put that merchant account on hold.

I'm sure by now he already cashed out and ran. I doubt Paypal will refund when there are no avaiable funds and no linked bank account or credit card. They're certainly not going to pay it from their own pocket or pay it in advance and legaly pursue him to get the money back.

• Buyer Protection is like an insurance. You will get your money back, PayPal tries to get it from the merchant and does pay it from their own funds if the merchant is insolvent.

If this wouldn’t be the case, buyer protection couldn’t exist.

Thanked by 2seriesn pluush
  • @marvel said:

@seriesn said:

@Lee said:

I'm sure by now he already cashed out and ran. I doubt Paypal will refund when there are no avaiable funds and no linked bank account or credit card. They're certainly not going to pay it from their own pocket or pay it in advance and legaly pursue him to get the money back.

Usually, credit card merchants/bank/paypal foots the bill and goes after the vendor afterwards.

Thanked by 1pluush
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@seriesn is correct if there is no rolling reserve the Merchant Provider/PSP or PayPal foot the bill.

In the case of PayPal they will send debt collectors after you, if they can't find you then they normally ban your account, once that is banned and you sign up again for a new PayPal account, the debt collection agency comes after you again.

But that all depends on what and who is listed on the PayPal account.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2020

@marvel said:

@seriesn said:

@Lee said:

They will, that’s what chargeback is for for example, if they can’t recover it is their risk of doing business with companies like HostDoc, and that’s why they hold % of money from, what they deem as, higher risk merchant, something @cociu is complaining oh so vocally about - this is a good example why they do it and why they are reasonable to do so.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Clouvider

Was it really necessary to pull in yet another provider?

As for refunds: I guess the people in the know here are right and those with a right to a refund will eventually be refunded. But that whole process seems to need (quite?) a bit of time. Anyone with experience here who can tell us what to expect in terms of time?

(I'm asking out of interest. I'm not involved myself and have no money to get from HostDoc)

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • LeeLee Veteran

jsg said: Was it really necessary to pull in yet another provider?

It's probably the best example of it on this site. He has been very vocal about it. In fact, he had one Paypal account removed if I remember correctly and was or is having a % held for an extended period due to his risk rating. He wrote about it a few times in the past.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

This is why I do what I do, getting high risk merchant accounts for hosting companies, I can get some prem rates too :D

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited February 2020

@jsg said:
    @Clouvider

Was it really necessary to pull in yet another provider?

As for refunds: I guess the people in the know here are right and those with a right to a refund will eventually be refunded. But that whole process seems to need (quite?) a bit of time. Anyone with experience here who can tell us what to expect in terms of time?

(I'm asking out of interest. I'm not involved myself and have no money to get from HostDoc)

@jsg

You're not @Clouvider's mother, father or wife, how dare you judge him and expect him to bow to what you perceive to be social norms! Who are you to decide what his responsibilities are?

Should you ever please to think you might want to find it interesting to look into the question of the importance of what you perceive as social norms has or has not for others.

Thanked by 2deank uptime
This discussion has been closed.