Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDoc are closing down - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDoc are closing down

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Just to avoid confusion: Is he pulling back money for prepaid services, say e.g. the payment for march, or is he pulling back money for past or current months?

The former I can understand and it might even mean that he is trying to get at money to refund his customers. The latter however is obviously criminal, no?

• acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited February 2020

With a credit card charge you basically can make up any bullshit excuse for a refund. I have had a merchant account since 1993, I have had a little experience.

I have had some crazy reasons when someone changes there mind on a payment. Depending on the customer and the bank I have seen people get away with it.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @Lee said:

seriesn said: Okay. I have seen a lot of stupid shit. But chargebacking upstream, that actually delivered as promised, WHAT THE FUCK.

Honestly, we missed all these tricks years back, could you imagine how much money we could have made had we thought about things like this. Sajan could have done the setup, @ChrisMiller on the dodgy deals with server providers and if anyone complained Martin would have threatened them all.

If only we could go back in time.

Fucking @ChrisMiller and Martin would have milked it. Smh.... but hey, atleast we have morals.

Thanked by 2Lee ChrisMiller
  • As a reference there is a mature, 50 yrs old, industry that I expect the cloud/VPS marketing & operations to follow. It's called timeshare. If you want to get ahead of the market in shady practices this is where to look. You can also find the way to customer satisfaction and profitability by studying companies that actually marketed, developed & delivered unique long term projects. In the end it all boils down to what type of character this industry wants to be know for.

• LeeLee Veteran

seriesn said: but hey, atleast we have morals.

Morals? Who was he, did one us hire him?

Thanked by 2uptime poisson
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Try swimming in freezing Scottish sea.

You will forget about your morals.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

@deank said:

Hope this wasn't the underbelly event at South Queensferry.

(Am Scottish. Scum company plaguing Edinburgh and nearby has been ticketing events which have no business being ticketed, like running into the sea)

Thanked by 2deank uptime
  • LeeLee Veteran

jackb said: Hope this wasn't the underbelly event at South Queensferry.

Did that one year, never again.

• marvelmarvel Member
    edited February 2020

@acidpuke said:
    With a credit card charge you basically can make up any bullshit excuse for a refund. I have had a merchant account since 1993, I have had a little experience.

I have had some crazy reasons when someone changes there mind on a payment. Depending on the customer and the bank I have seen people get away with it.

I have the same experience. I've had people doing chargebacks for $5 which costed me $15 chargeback administration costs with Paypal. Kids doing illegal payments with their mom's credit card or some stolen card.

• What the fuck!? This is very disappointing :-(

• I can confirm vps from Kansas is gone. Vps on Ovh is still up though.

Hey @HostDoc what is up? He's basically breaking the LET rule for not being a dick by keeping quiet and doing those chargebacks.

Maybe he felt betrayed by everyone and became twisted.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@timelapse said:
    I can confirm vps from Kansas is gone. Vps on Ovh is still up though.

Hey @HostDoc what is up? He's basically breaking the LET rule for not being a dick by keeping quiet and doing those chargebacks.

Well, the whole cache incident was made public merely as a wake up call and he was given many chances to sort things out, but instead he decided to dig himself a deeper hole.

You snooze, you lose.

• @WootWoot said:
    The Doc has started to open bank chargebacks on his upstream providers. Brace yourself for more shutdowns.

Wish I saw this earlier.. my fault for not backing up my stuff lol

• @thedp said:

@timelapse said:
    I can confirm vps from Kansas is gone. Vps on Ovh is still up though.

Well, the whole cache incident was made public merely as a wake up call and he was given many chances to sort things out, but instead he decided to dig himself a deeper hole.

You snooze, you lose.

Exactly. The sad thing is, that whatever damage he would have faced due to that leak issue would have been extremely easy for time to have forgotten and to be forgiven. Unfortunately he took the crazy approach and went full PMS about it, and here we are.

• I wish all business can close the way like HostDoc did. Ethical practice!

• RossGRossG Member, Host Rep

@HostMem said:
    I wish all business can close the way like HostDoc did. Ethical practice!

Good luck getting a provider tag

• deankdeank Member, Troll

No point in getting a tag on LET.

• LeeLee Veteran

deank said: No point in getting a tag on LET.

Depends, electronic tagging of LET providers might be a step in the right direction.

• @Lee said:

deank said: No point in getting a tag on LET.

Depends, electronic tagging of LET providers might be a step in the right direction.

Brain chip implants might work better.

• He fails with the same problem, wherever he will do business will find the same thing, this is a pattern, lifestyle, impossible to level up, if he has not passed the exam

• By now I kinda think that this whole fiasco was planned by him, to go out with peoples money, without paying his providers.
    This excuse of "feeling betrayed" seems to be just that - an excuse to close up and run.

• @deank said:

too busy thinking about blue balls

• @dahartigan said:
    Exactly. The sad thing is, that whatever damage he would have faced due to that leak issue would have been extremely easy for time to have forgotten and to be forgiven. Unfortunately he took the crazy approach and went full PMS about it, and here we are.

Smallweb is a good example of what ought to have been done.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @poisson said:

@dahartigan said:

Smallweb is a good example of what ought to have been done.

Agreed, he bounced back from it stronger and in the process earned my respect. It's too bad Chike/Junior/The Doc (or whatever the fuck his name is) couldn't find a way to achieve the same.

He's just become a meme for something other than his PMS now with this shit.

• @WootWoot - any other supplier you'd think might be worth looking at as replacement

• @poisson said:

@deank said:

"Blue balls" doesn't mean what you think it means...

• @TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@deank said:

@TimboJones is offering to relieve all of your blue balls.. :-)

• @TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@deank said:

I perfectly understand what it is. What you don't understand is your own lack of linguistic depth because all you can do is to interpret using the most common frames.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@poisson said:

@deank said:

@TimboJones is offering to relieve all of your blue balls.. :-)

He should relieve his own. He seems to have them every other day at the minimum.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • jamujajamuja Member
    edited February 2020

@MikeA said:
    Well, charging back from the companies you use as a provider is rather shitty...

I never have my customers charging me back. What's the likely outcome in this hostdoc case for the upstream providers?

In the end, who will foot the bill and take loss?
    I mean is it as easy like this in US for getting charge back and no fighting chance?

I know end users will likely get their money back from PayPal etc. To think of it, I've been very lucky chatting money from customers for the past 15 years and not a single charge back other than stupid PayPal dispute that's easily be won.

This discussion has been closed.