Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDoc beef with ReliableSite? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDoc beef with ReliableSite?

Comments

• I think it took far too long for him to be banned.

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

Get your own network and IP resources.

We've migrated customers' VM few times before we finally migrated to colocation and the downtime per VM is never higher than 30 minutes because we have full control of our network. We can set up tunnels or lease circuits to handle traffic internally.

Also, IP price is excepted to increase again since RIPE stopped allocating more /22. If you don't have your own subnet, your growth may be limited by IP brokers.

• @aveline said:
    Get your own network and IP resources.

We've migrated customers' VM few times before we finally migrated to colocation and the downtime per VM is never higher than 30 minutes because we have full control of our network. We can set up tunnels or lease circuits to handle traffic internally.

Also, IP price is excepted to increase again since RIPE stopped allocating more /22. If you don't have your own subnet, your growth may be limited by IP brokers.

I don't think you understand HostDoc's complaint. The IP's were HostDoc's (well leased, but point being NOT ReliableSite's).

You have a point about owning their own gear, though.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2019

Am I the only one who read it and thought "Bro just keep the i9 and work on a seamless migration plan instead of declaring downtime and giving refunds?"

Migrations happen. Failed negotiations for new hardware don't have to mean downtime, at least not for more than a few minutes.

None of my business really it just sorta bugged me that the discussion never went there because that's how my brain is choosing to operate. No judgement on either side, ain't my fight.

• @jar said:
    Am I the only one who read it and thought "Bro just keep the i9 and work on a seamless migration plan instead of declaring downtime and giving refunds?"

Migrations happen. Failed negotiations for new hardware don't have to mean downtime, at least not for more than a few minutes.

None of my business really it just sorta bugged me that the discussion never went there because that's how my brain is choosing to operate. No judgement on either side, ain't my fight.

Deep breath..

Personally, for me, the first I heard about any of this was when I read the email. I opened it, cringed a little and thought "Shit, this is going to explode LET" - that's me being 100% brutally honest. Here's why:

Doc comes across very stern and is sometimes void of the gentle touch required for customer service, particularly for what people in the USA, for instance, might expect. Some people have mentioned that, and it's usually in situations where someone more "diplomatic" would be like "Sorry you were billed $4 for your overdue bill", Doc would be more like "You wouldn't have been billed $4 if you paid your invoice on time."

He just cuts to the chase, no BS. Can't fault him on that.

He calls a spade a spade. If he thinks you're doing something wrong, he'll tell you in no uncertain terms. To this day, I still can't work out whether Doc is talking to me or yelling at me. I could just imagine how the conversation in question went down, and perhaps RS got a little offended by his approach.

So, like everyone else, I'm learning about this as it unfolds. The host rep tag is virtually useless, I've stepped back a lot from HD recently due to other commitments, and I'm basically completely out of the loop too.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jar said:

Ok good, so I wasn't the only one trying to work out why a quote on an upgrade ended with refunds and inconvenienced customers.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited December 2019

@SirFoxy said:
    it hit home didn't it

with apologies to the original "Navy Seal copy-pasta" ... :trollface:

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little punk? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class with a framed certificate of completion for my MCSE, and I've been involved in numerous nights on-call, and I have over 300 confirmed trouble tickets solved. I am trained in forum banter and I'm the top shitposter in the entire lowend universe. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of mods across the WWW and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking banned, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can have you banned in over seven hundred ways, and that's just by typing with my thumbs. Not only am I extensively trained in unhinged hyperventilation, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the LET archives and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable posts off the face of this forum, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will vent furry snark all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking banned, kiddo.

Thanked by 3vimalware Lee imok
  • lowendinglowending Member
    edited December 2019
    HD: I want to upgrade my servers in LA from i9s to Ryzens.

RS: Sure, that be ###$ plus $2/IP.

HD: WTF? Those are my ips, you can't charge me for my own ips!

RS: These are the terms, take it or leave it.

HD: This is unacceptable! ^°|=$==$+_+373===>

RS: /blocks HD

HD issues announcement that because relations with RS has deteriorated, they have no confidence in the existing business between them.

Pretty cut and dry, RS wants a corkage fee- HD thinks it's robbery, things turn south. I don't know if corkage fees are standard b2b practice in the industry, but I guess from HD's reaction he doesn't think it is.

• its called drunkposting

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@dahartigan said:

@jar said:

Deep breath..

Personally, for me, the first I heard about any of this was when I read the email. I opened it, cringed a little and thought "Shit, this is going to explode LET" - that's me being 100% brutally honest. Here's why:

Doc comes across very stern and is sometimes void of the gentle touch required for customer service, particularly for what people in the USA, for instance, might expect. Some people have mentioned that, and it's usually in situations where someone more "diplomatic" would be like "Sorry you were billed $4 for your overdue bill", Doc would be more like "You wouldn't have been billed $4 if you paid your invoice on time."

He just cuts to the chase, no BS. Can't fault him on that.

He calls a spade a spade. If he thinks you're doing something wrong, he'll tell you in no uncertain terms. To this day, I still can't work out whether Doc is talking to me or yelling at me. I could just imagine how the conversation in question went down, and perhaps RS got a little offended by his approach.

So, like everyone else, I'm learning about this as it unfolds. The host rep tag is virtually useless, I've stepped back a lot from HD recently due to other commitments, and I'm basically completely out of the loop too.

Probably an engineer. We can be a bit like that at times.

Also you are right with the cultural differences. It's the same out in the country here, vs city.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2019

@Ouji said:
    I think it took far too long for him to be banned.

Will I be next someday? I guess im not there just yet.

• Yes hostdoc speaks like someone from technical background. Good for QOS.
    Not as for sales and marketing.

Given his load maybe it's time for a sales rep

• @cybertech said:
    Yes hostdoc speaks like someone from technical background. Good for QOS.

Written in the context of bicycle repair, but goes for most kinds of customer service IMO:
    https://bike.bikegremlin.com/7340/mechanic/#4

Doing the work properly and communicating with customers (and business partners) are two separate skills. Often overlapping more or less, but still separate. Not all the people are equally skilled in both.

P.S. This topic has brought out some bad vibes, immature reactions and "bad sides" out of some participants. At the cost of stating the obvious: it's best not communicating when one is stressed, tired (or hungry in my case :) ). And, this has worked for me in any kind of emergency, or stressful situations, local saying: "morning is wiser than the evening".

Now, nothing short of a nice cat picture can come close to compensating for such semi-philosophical shitty post.

Thanked by 3HostDoc uptime imok
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited December 2019

SplitIce said: Probably an engineer. >We can be a bit like that at times.

Also you are right with the cultural differences. It's the same out in the country here, vs city.

Yes, he's a techy. So am I, but I kinda went through a brainwashing period with a large company and mastered the art of diplomacy. This will be addressed in my final point.

@cybertech said:
    Yes hostdoc speaks like someone from technical background. Good for QOS.

Precisely the reason I offered to volunteer my time to help with that.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • Okay. Firstly, I'd like to apologise to my LA clients for the rushed announcement.
    I would like to apologise to LET for my PMS announcement being posted on LET and causing numerous other dramas within it.
    But most of all, I'd like to apologise to @MrRadic You sir are exemplary.

Let's call it a hosting providers PMS shall we?

The announcement was made due to all communication channels being closed and the uncertainty as to whether the service will remain or suddenly be cut off.

As @bikegremlin correctly points out, some things should not be attempted when one is tired, hungry etc. I was extremely tired, irritable and boardering on irrational.

Reading back on my discord conversation with @MrRadic he was extremely calm, professional, tried to be understanding and genuinly wanted to help.
    My response to his calm approach was just as he said, nothing less than a rant. I'd still consider some points of the rant valid, but it was a rant non the less. There was no stop in the rant to take in his new messages because I just kept going.
    @MrRadic I am truely sorry. You did not deserve that.

I am willing to take all of the heat of this thread. I was in the wrong, full stop.
    The $2 per IP as mentioned was a simple mistake by one of their reps which on a normal day, would not bother me.

To date, I have not had a second of downtime caused by RS.
    Other than when first registering with their services and 2 days ago, I have never had a reason to contact their support.
    Even if his team sometimes get it wrong, @MrRadic is an example of support done right. Maybe I can learn a thing or 2 from him?

To put this to bed, LA will not be going down!

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@HostDoc said:

Glad that it got resolved, so we will have some LA deals to celebrate? :D

• Damn. Was waiting for hostdoc to come back with Xeon platinum

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Hallelujah

• @cybertech said:
    Damn. Was waiting for hostdoc to come back with Xeon platinum

Could be something better ;)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited December 2019

TimboJones said: Wow, I can't believe you'd out yourself as a bad customer like this. You are aware you're a bad customer, right? If any of my clients balked at $4 for their fuck up, it's "bye Felicia". It was YOUR fuck up!

You whined about your idle server with no data on it and this thread is about numerous accounts and probably $1k in service fees. No, not remotely the same. Hostdoc comes off as a business man advocating for his customers, you sound like a whiny, entitled little bitch. For $4.

I can see the intelligence and reading uptake level haven't improved here. Actually, what I pointed out, which,if you read in context would help, is the way things were handled between us in conversation was quite negative. Maybe you missed the whole entire thesis statement in my first reply where I stated the main reason I was posting is because the way he acted sounds very familiar to me. If from that, you can't understand that he has issues holding his tongue and treating his customers with respect when assisting / working with them in cases that are to his advantage, then I guess you need to go back to English class and learn how to read for comprehension. Any business, support or owner, who speaks to me with such disrespect and then tries to also hold my data hostage can go fuck them selves, quite frankly. This was such a case. I am not being extorted to keep a service I was only idling and effectively had no productive use to me, by a new provider (which at the time HostDoc indeed was, he has admitted as much), when that is how I am treated and I surely am not going to stay quiet about it when I see the same way of handling things continue to repeat in such a public way.

While you find my motives to be negative, my real goal here was to re-enforce what I told HostDoc that day. Treating your customers (people) like shit has repercussions. I gave him every opportunity to work with me and to make it right, so he could continue to earn money from me as a customer. He made it quite clear he didn't care if I remained a customer or not and did everything to insult me. What he got in return, well, karmas a bitch.

In this situation (and thread), again, it sounds like he doesn't understand how to control his temper or work with his customers or now his providers in situations that don't work out how he likes. Was hoping this issue, along with my reminder this isn't his first time he has handled such an issue in such a manor, it would hopefully help him to start understanding the way he is approaching things needs to change and he needs to check him self before he really does cause un-repairable damage to his brand.

Just to think, he could have handled this thread ( or even the live chat we had ) completely different and had been the hero, by simply apologizing and then working to find a way to mutually resolve any issue. Instead, he went the opposite direction, given every opportunity to do right by him self, he took my comments as an insult and then also continued to attack his supplier in different ways in the thread.

The money wasn't even an issue for me, I spend plenty a month on VPS servers from MANY hosts from this forum and others, enough where I manage over 70 personal VPS servers (mostly purchased from Low End Hosts), it's the principle. I deal with MANY providers on a daily basis, as well as work in support for one. I think I have more than enough experience with hosting and working with providers to be able to safely say my experience with them was not what I would expect from a provider that I would expect to do long term business with. You don't have to like my opinion, but you surely should respect it.

Edit: As it seems this reply comes far after the original post and @HostDoc has posted a few above, it does at least seem he is starting to get the idea. My real hope is that he can make some changes for the better and continue to improve his brand. While he may think I am out to get him, again, that really wasn't my motive here at all. Though it would be nice to have an apology, I won't force that on him, he's had a long enough day as it is. I will just take his last reply as his intent to do better by his customers and hope I do not have to come back again to remind him of his past. I forgive you @HostDoc and hope brighter times are ahead!

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• LeeLee Veteran

HostDoc said: I am willing to take all of the heat of this thread. I was in the wrong, full stop.

Well done to you for being big enough to post a follow-up in public and admit this whilst also going back and talking to the provider for a resolution. Credit where credit is due.

• So, we have the reputations of two gold-standard providers intact. :)

Ladies and gentlemen, we now end this segment and shall now switch to the on-going ColonCleansing saga.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Well glad that got (mostly) resolved in an amicable way

• pullangcubopullangcubo Member
    edited December 2019

@poisson said:
    Ladies and gentlemen, we now end this segment

No. The issue with HostDoc and RS was, at the very least, boring. I demand the explosive climax of the two other subplot here! :lol:

Thanked by 2Falzo imok
  • @pullangcubo said:

@poisson said:
    Ladies and gentlemen, we now end this segment

No. The issue with HostDoc and RS was, at the very least, boring. I demand the explosive climax of the two other subplot here! :lol:

actually the boredom you speak about was noticed by @SirFoxy last night and he did all he could to fix it, mostly on page 3

Thanked by 2pullangcubo Falzo
  • @TheLinuxBug said:
    Though I would like to apologise,

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Apology accepted :smiley:

• @FAT32 said:

@HostDoc said:

Glad that it got resolved, so we will have some LA deals to celebrate? :D

Not at this time. But soon :wink:

Thanked by 2FAT32 pullangcubo
  • Some people appreciate calling a spade, a spade. ;)

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

Great to see this resolved. !

</drama>

This discussion has been closed.