Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDoc beef with ReliableSite? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDoc beef with ReliableSite?

Comments

• No... I was planning to move my game servers to those i9 servers.

Why it keeps happening to me.
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/156225/a-low-end-journey-from-one-thendisnigh-to-another

• Oh my god,

This is sad news at the end of the year

My VPS with annual plan/LA4 is here :(

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

Atleast, kuddos to @hostDoc for keeping clients updated ! Im sure they would get a decent alternative.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • In this case, reliablesite seems to be un-reliable.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • @isunbejo said:
    Oh my god,

This is sad news at the end of the year

My VPS with annual plan/LA4 is here :(

Take backups. Pronto.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2019

Maybe he had a bad day and claimed you where ranting, who knows.

• This is a shitty situation. I don't know the word for word of the conversation that occurred, but I know Chike and he's not the sort of cat to drink sour milk even if it's chilled.

I also know it's important to him to keep customers happy, which is exactly why the email was sent as a precaution and offered refunds. Short of waving a magic wand there isn't much else that can be done.

We'll either still have this node next month or something better.

Exothermic drama

• @HostDoc, @dahartigan can you please comment about your shared hosting situation which is hosted in UK? I got the same email as posted by OP, any impact on shared hosts?

• timelapsetimelapse Member
    edited December 2019

@jackb said:

@tester4 said:
    As I said, their support is outsourced mainly and Radic should have been able to clarify.

This is one reason why we left ReliableSite a number of years ago. When Radic was dealing with us everything was top notch, fast and good replies. Their outsourced support guys were largely clueless sending canned replies etc and - at the time - they were using choopas network and often needed to escalate issues. Outages at the time were too frequent and I don't think the outsourced support was helping that situation (e.g. preventing reoccurrence). I believe they use their own network now but in my opinion is Radic should consider taking on and training in house support.

This is not isolated I guess. It's not only @jackb and @HostDoc . I also know another provider who is unsatisfied with Reliablesite @MrRadic and I believe it was also with their Support.

Sorry @MikePT I had to @ you but I believe this will be the best for improving things going forward.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @gks said:
    @HostDoc, @dahartigan can you please comment about your shared hosting situation which is hosted in UK? I got the same email as posted by OP, any impact on shared hosts?

This only affects L.A., I assure you that your shared hosting in UK is not affected by this.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Look I feel for @HostDoc because I too have been in the position of having to leave a location. Having to make the decision to leave before you get yourself in a bind due to the other companies behaviour. It's likely very expensive, and going to cost alot of customers.

That said one thing I don't approve of is forcing customers to take their own backups. You need to prevent that at all cost. That's your responsibility and the least you can do during an unplanned migration / discontinuation.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • I am one of the affected customer, and truly feel sorry about what has happened. All I can say is @Hostdoc customer services are both professional and responsible. Whatever the outcome will be, I will surely purchase their LA services when price and configuration are good again.

Good luck @HostDoc

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I once hosted with RS I had my dedi all setup spend hours of time on it then suddenly they asked for a copy of my credit card's CVC code from the back.

I told them it's BS and not one company ever asked for that, just a copy from the front of the ccard and my ID should be sufficient so I refused and then they canceled my service.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • tgltgl Member
    edited December 2019

@marvel said:
    I once hosted with RS I had my dedi all setup spend hours of time on it then suddenly they asked for a copy of my credit card's CVC code from the back.

I told them it's BS and not one company ever asked for that, just a copy from the front of the ccard and my ID should be sufficient so I refused and then they canceled my service.

asking for cvv2 code is very suspicious, probably they wanted to set up some automatic payment or make sure they can pay if you dont, but its not the correct way to do it, they can ask for a copy of the credit card and you can wipe some numbers, copy of the ID, and you can also wipe the important stuff

anyway, it seems a shitty provider

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@timelapse said:

@jackb said:

@tester4 said:
    As I said, their support is outsourced mainly and Radic should have been able to clarify.

This is one reason why we left ReliableSite a number of years ago. When Radic was dealing with us everything was top notch, fast and good replies. Their outsourced support guys were largely clueless sending canned replies etc and - at the time - they were using choopas network and often needed to escalate issues. Outages at the time were too frequent and I don't think the outsourced support was helping that situation (e.g. preventing reoccurrence). I believe they use their own network now but in my opinion is Radic should consider taking on and training in house support.

This is not isolated I guess. It's not only @jackb and @HostDoc . I also know another provider who is unsatisfied with Reliablesite @MrRadic and I believe it was also with their Support.

Sorry @MikePT I had to @ you but I believe this will be the best for improving things going forward.

We did have a single issue with Reliablesite, but that was with their outsourced support.
    Radic has been fantastic to us, so we can see where the problem lies, it's their outsourced support that needs proper training.
    Other than that, their prices, hardware and bandwidth is excellent. Hopefully Radic fires a bunch from his team tho.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited December 2019

@SplitIce said:
    Look I feel for @HostDoc because I too have been in the position of having to leave a location. Having to make the decision to leave before you get yourself in a bind due to the other companies behaviour. It's likely very expensive, and going to cost alot of customers.

That said one thing I don't approve of is forcing customers to take their own backups. You need to prevent that at all cost. That's your responsibility and the least you can do during an unplanned migration / discontinuation.

There's a non-zero possibility there may not be a suitable server for customers to be migrated to in time if the node gets taken down by RS, something not 100% in Doc's control (AFAIK) so the urgency in the email to backup anything valuable is a result of the uncertainty related to that.

Backups are always done server-side, but even a second after a backup is taken it's old if someone is running something dynamic like a forum for example. Those customers would be taking responsibility for backups if they value their data, regardless of whether the provis does backups.

I respectfully disagree that it's Doc's responsibility to keep live, up to the second backups of customers VMs.

Is the general consensus that providers are now responsible for backups? I thought we all agreed that's not at all a good backup strategy lol

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited December 2019

I tried to work with him, he just kept ranting and telling me (sh)it's going to hit the fan.

I offer help over discord and skype as a privilege, often taking time away from my own family. He chose to spend that time insulting and harassing both the company and me.

Nothing more to be said here. His choice to leave is his own, but I was more than willing to help.

Thanked by 5Falzo aveline vld FHR samm
  • @MrRadic Please post screenshots showing the harassment.

@HostDoc Please reply to the allegations made by MrRadic, otherwise you will be seen as being as someone who harasses their supplier.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited December 2019

Now it gets interesting.

Edit: Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of LET :)

• @mtwiscool said:
    @MrRadic Please post screenshots showing the harassment.

@HostDoc Please reply to the allegations made by MrRadic, otherwise you will be seen as being as someone who harasses their supplier.

You want To see more drama?

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited December 2019

@mtwiscool said:

Why? You planning on playing Judge Judy?

• @Chievo said:

@mtwiscool said:

Of course we love drama..

• @K4Y5 said:

@mtwiscool said:

Why? You planning on playing Judge Judy?

No.

The reason I am asking for them to make direct replies is so it is easire to look back at the drama at a later date.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• @Chievo said:

@mtwiscool said:

LowEndTalk has always been the best place to your dose of web hosting related drama.

• @Jord said:

Mod,
    Where is my popcorn?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

@isunbejo said:

@Jord said:

Mod,
    Where is my popcorn?

No idea

Thanked by 1isunbejo
  • as much as I like drama ... I'd really prefer to see these particular providers just take a deep breath, let the adrenaline wear off for a few days, and take it from there.

If neither of them see fit to post any more fuel for a LET dumpster fire in this thread - at least until a few days have passed - that would be just fine with me.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited December 2019

@mtwiscool said:

@Chievo said:

@mtwiscool said:

LowEndTalk has always been the best place to your dose of web hosting related drama.

It doesn't get much better than this, it's Provider vs Provider drama.

Not sure how this is going to go, I haven't seen the communication.

EDIT: @uptime I swear I saw your post after I posted this one, not trying to yank any doodles.

Thanked by 2uptime BlaZe
This discussion has been closed.