Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules? - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules?

Comments

• @default I am going to put it out here that you either have a comprehension problem or you are out to character assassinate Anthony.

Non-profits often monetize their activities too. That does not mean they are doing something shady. The question is for what ends. If you are monetizing to cover your cost of operations, it is perfectly reasonable to monetize your activities.

Anthony has said from day one (and repeated several times) that he was looking at monetizing the new forum to pay for the cost of hiring a front end developer to work on the user experience and ensure that the platform continues to be improved. Right now it operates on user goodwill and that is a lot less stable than a platform that is monetized and able to pay for competent improvement work to be continually done.

You did not address any of this crucial details. You just go off on a tangent about how bad it is to monetize, conveniently dropping the context. Why you did that is beyond my comprehension, and I think you are as shady as fuck. There is no evidence for any sinister interpretation when all the relevant details are accounted for, and in the absence of evidence proving beyond a reasonable doubt, the default presumption is innocence, but you sure are quick to cast shade on Anthony's intentions.

I also think it is laughable to claim that @vimalware is 'spamming' without evidence. I have personally messaged a few people whom I respect here and thought they can make better contributions in the new forum. How is that spam? If they said no, I don't insist, and there is no evidence that @vimalware persisted repeatedly, sending unsolicited messages. If you have the smoking gun, please present it.

I have always been upfront that I am a person who cares about evidence above everything else, and I especially care about complete disclosure. You cherry pick evidence to make your case and that is disgusting.

Of course it is your life and you can do whatever you want, but you gotta accept that people will react in equal measures. Put all the evidence on thr table instead of selecting the bits that fit the narrative you want people to believe.

• no pain, no gain

pain goes out, gain comes in - you can't explain that!

• @poisson said: but you sure are quick to cast shade on Anthony's intentions.

= ban on LES? Then one is better off on a forum where you can have a glowing thread on the very first page of it advising and en-lighting people on how its best to move to another place and yet no admin/mod bothers.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @poisson

• If I remember correctly: Anthony's argument regarding monetize and control was "to eat" - anyone can interpret as they want and can search for "details" about what that means.
    • After ban he deleted my comments, I assume because they were uncomfortable and has something to hide.
    • Please do not comment on my person. I try as much as possible to not comment about a person, I only commented on their actions. I did not qualify or name anyone in any way. Respect.
  • @dynamo said:

@poisson said: but you sure are quick to cast shade on Anthony's intentions.

= ban on LES? Then one is better off on a forum where you can have a glowing thread on the very first page of it advising and en-lighting people on how its best to move to another place and yet no admin/mod bothers.

Not desirable, but not unreasonable because he was poisoning the collegiality on LES.

(read: I don't agree but I can see the good reasons behind it)

• @default said:
    @poisson

• If I remember correctly: Anthony's argument regarding monetize and control was "to eat" - anyone can interpret as they want and can search for "details" about what that means.
    • After ban he deleted my comments, I assume because they were uncomfortable and has something to hide.
    • Please do not comment on my person. I try as much as possible to not comment about a person, I only commented on their actions. I did not qualify or name anyone in any way. Respect.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

• eh, throw a few stones.

LET it all hang out.

It's okay.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @poisson said:

@default said:
    @poisson

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Great advice. Hence why I shall try to not create another account on LES. I do not wish to shatter it.

Thanked by 2uptime jsg
  • a classic case of any forum started you'll dislike choices by leadership, aka why I'll stay here until it's dead.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @default I am a man of evidence, and I will not slander you. Let me put on the record here from LES what you said and what Anthony said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@root said:
    I propose a rule for LES staff: Board shall never be sold, managed, controlled or manipulated, by companies or corporations, whatever their reasons, motivations and intentions.

Well that's a problem from the get go :)

Hi my name is Anthony, I own and operate Inception Hosting Limited, a registered company, I have good intent and motivations however your statement encompassed the positive and the negative haha.

I am never going to be ashamed of trying to make money, but I am a regular guy from a humble background so I am not out to screw anyone over.

My plan for this place is to operate it for a while, monetize it so it can pay for its own staff to run it professionally and then pass it on to a carefully selected community member, essentially exactly the same path as the original LES but with all of the mistakes taken out and lesson learned along the way.

I will also be putting fail safe measures in place when it is handed over so that if it does even remotely start to go the way of LET I can pull the plug.

Can you explain what is unreasonable or sinister about Anthony's monetization proposal?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 2019

@default FWIW, I took your opening suggestions in the new c'est pit seriously (URLs, branding confusion)

Next, Rather than reply to the slightly disingenuous bullet points (p9) above ,
    anyone can read and decide for themselves, whether you came across as inflammatory or 'just curious', about Anthony's intentions for the new hangout .

That's a lot of flame for just 5 comments https://talk.lowendspirit.com/profile/comments/root (also, Be responsible with 'root')

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

SirFoxy said:
    a classic case of any forum started you'll dislike choices by leadership, aka why I'll stay here until it's dead.

Thanked by 2vimalware ITLabs
  • Hb = funny old man
    LES = grumpy old man
    LET = corporation

take ur choice

• Who needs Amazon Prime, Netflix and HBO when you have LET?

• @poisson said: poisoning the collegiality on LES

One can say the same about this thread. If I were the evil CC as they are portrayed, I would have locked the thread away and banned the instigators. The fact they are doing nothing/don't care is reason enough that we don't need another place for open discussions. Someone been trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Thanked by 2default jsg
  • @dynamo yeah ... you know, you put it like that and ... gosh, I guess you're right.

I don't know what I was thinking.

Gonna go buy some prem LEB offers now, brb ....

• @dynamo said:

@poisson said: poisoning the collegiality on LES

One can say the same about this thread. If I were the evil CC as they are portrayed, I would have locked the thread away and banned the instigators. The fact they are doing nothing/don't care is reason enough that we don't need another place for open discussions. Someone been trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I can accept that argument. However, the evidence before me in LES is that the actions so far have resulted in a clearly thriving and collegiate environment. I don't argue with evidence, and I don't think anyone should.

If new evidence turns up to prove me wrong, I am man enough to admit that I am wrong. Until there is clear evidence that Anthony is that supposedly trash personality that some people believe him to be, I go with innocent unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

In @default's case, the evidence is quite close to beyond a reasonable doubt.

• The fact that LES drama has to be discussed on LET is absolutely delicious.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

@poisson bro - I don't know what you're on about - @default is all about the unreasonable doubt ...!

EDIT2:

seriously, I don't really understand what happened - but I appreciate @default - and would have liked to see it work out other than the way it did. It takes two to tango though, and there were some funky moves going down. Live and learn.

• the fact they are doing nothing/don't care is reason enough that we don't need another place for open discussions. Someone been trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @poisson said:

@dynamo said:

@poisson said: poisoning the collegiality on LES

I can accept that argument. However, the evidence before me in LES is that the actions so far have resulted in a clearly thriving and collegiate environment. I don't argue with evidence, and I don't think anyone should.

If new evidence turns up to prove me wrong, I am man enough to admit that I am wrong. Until there is clear evidence that Anthony is that supposedly trash personality that some people believe him to be, I go with innocent unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

In @default's case, the evidence is quite close to beyond a reasonable doubt.

It seems that you really want to take things to a personal level. Starting this moment I shall try to avoid replying to you and I shall ignore your comments. I refuse to make appreciations about any individual's personality. #ignore

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @uptime said:
    @poisson bro - I don't know what you're on about - @default is all about the unreasonable doubt ...!

EDIT2:

seriously, I don't really understand what happened - but I appreciate @default - and would have liked to see it work out other than the way it did. It takes two to tango though, and there were some funky moves going down. Live and learn.

Not going to his level. I have put out the evidence that he claims to not quite remember and now he has been reminded absolutely clearly, I would like to see what his response is. If I have indeed slandered him, I will apologise publicly. Otherwise, I leave it to him to decide what an honourable person should do.

Thanked by 2vimalware uptime
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited November 2019

@default - I understand why you feel the way you do and I'm only basing my assumptions on what I can see (just the 5 comments under your account). I never saw the thread you posted nor any comments that may have been deleted.

All I'm saying is that if you look at this from Ant's perspective, you might understand why he made the actions he did. You came to his forum with comments about the direction and philosophy the new place should take on. However, his vision had already been laid out and clearly communicated. It didn't jive well with you, so you said, "I am out of here. Thank you for the information." I'm not sure if you created the thread accusing Ant of supporting/assisting with the alleged "spam" before or after saying you were leaving, but if someone came to my house and called my furniture and artwork shit, said they were leaving, then stuck around pointing fingers at me and causing a stink, I'd help them on their merry way out of my house as well.

• @default said:
    It seems that you really want to take things to a personal level. Starting this moment I shall try to avoid replying to you and I shall ignore your comments. I refuse to make appreciations about any individual's personality. #ignore

Nope. I asked you to explain this:

@poisson said:
    @default I am a man of evidence, and I will not slander you. Let me put on the record here from LES what you said and what Anthony said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@root said:
    I propose a rule for LES staff: Board shall never be sold, managed, controlled or manipulated, by companies or corporations, whatever their reasons, motivations and intentions.

Well that's a problem from the get go :)

Hi my name is Anthony, I own and operate Inception Hosting Limited, a registered company, I have good intent and motivations however your statement encompassed the positive and the negative haha.

I am never going to be ashamed of trying to make money, but I am a regular guy from a humble background so I am not out to screw anyone over.

My plan for this place is to operate it for a while, monetize it so it can pay for its own staff to run it professionally and then pass it on to a carefully selected community member, essentially exactly the same path as the original LES but with all of the mistakes taken out and lesson learned along the way.

I will also be putting fail safe measures in place when it is handed over so that if it does even remotely start to go the way of LET I can pull the plug.

Can you explain what is unreasonable or sinister about Anthony's monetization proposal?

If you can give a satisfactory answer backed by verifiable evidence, I will apologise.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019
  • LET mods are well chill, always have been. Takes a lot to get banned here.

Don’t be surprised when mods on other forums aren’t so chill about you fucking up their shit.

• dynamodynamo Member
    edited November 2019

@uptime said: yeah ... you know, you put it like that and ... gosh, I guess you're right.
    I don't know what I was thinking.
    Gonna go buy some prem LEB offers now, brb ....

Save yourself the trouble and visit LEB directly. Don't look for them on LET as I had a tough time finding them while skimming through the first 3 pages. May be just 2 locked threads out of ~150. Appreciate the good mods here who are doing their job very diligently.

Thanked by 2uptime jsg
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited November 2019

@Nekki said:
    LET mods are well chill, always have been. Takes a lot to get banned here.

Don’t be surprised when mods on other forums aren’t so chill about you fucking up their shit.

Like the great LET philosopher, Nekkiavelli, once said - "chat shit, get banged".

• Anthony has been on LET for a long time, both as a provider and as a participant, he was also an admin for a while, and a fairly visible admin at that. It's hard to be in such roles for a extended period of time and to always have everyone like you. (Yes, he banned some people on LET, he had publicly visible clashes with people, and he didn't always express himself as politely as he could have.) I sense that at least some of the skepticism about LES is really skepticism about him, which I can understand even if I don't share this skepticism.

In any case, the idea behind LES has never been "Nobody ever gets banned retired". It's a community, there are rules, and if you break the rules, you may very well get banned retired.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2019

@angstrom said:
    In any case, the idea behind LES has never been "Nobody ever gets banned retired". It's a community, there are rules, and if you break the rules, you may very well get banned retired.

One of the rules being to disagree with the admin. Another rule for banning retirement is saying that "I am out". Or maybe, just maybe, it all fits under the rule 1 "Don't be a d**k" as @AnthonySmith officially established and labeled me, in which case @WSS was right all along and I am one of many. Yet again, I do not enjoy making appreciations on persons.

EDIT: Clearly that is not a place for me... I am starting to become emotional.

Thanked by 1uptime
This discussion has been closed.