Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time!

Comments

• When the next deal will be ?

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@klikli said:
    @key900 Is more stock on the way? Or should I stop refreshing the order page every 5 minutes?

There is few order pending left once we got all up we will check the capacity if there is any available resources we will set them open, we will have new nodes coming up by next week or so.

Thanked by 2klikli uptime
  • @key900 what is the name of the datacenter?

• nvm, found it is AS40676 Psychz Networks

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • Deployed, looking forward to using this! Thanks!

• If OS is reinstalled are the disks you added/used gone? I don't see way to apply a name to a disk.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited September 2019

Haven't played with the reinstall features, but my advice is to make an off-site copy before you start. Relying on a provider's backup solution for this kinda defeats the purpose of the backup.

I have heard on the grapevine that if you backup and restore you may lose your block storage, but I'm not sure what exactly fails, whether it is host-side or something which can be fixed by the user. FYI.

Be safe and back up first..

• @guerrilla said:
    If OS is reinstalled are the disks you added/used gone? I don't see way to apply a name to a disk.

Based on my testing, yes the disks you added are gone upon reinstall. Unlike DO, you can't manage your block storage separately. May be upcoming feature.

• @mrclown said:

@guerrilla said:
    If OS is reinstalled are the disks you added/used gone? I don't see way to apply a name to a disk.

Based on my testing, yes the disks you added are gone upon reinstall. Unlike DO, you can't manage your block storage separately. May be upcoming feature.

Reinstall = Disks gone???

What does it mean???

• @plumberg said:

@mrclown said:

@guerrilla said:

Reinstall = Disks gone???

What does it mean???

Yup. Exactly as it says. Restoring backups also removes the disk (unless you also backed up the disk using the backup system).

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • edited September 2019

plumberg said: Reinstall = Disks gone???

What does it mean???

When you reinstall the OS using their web interface, your 3TB external drive will be lost. Just be aware of it.

You would have to re-attach an new external drive, which would not have your old data.

Yeah, I was unaware of that and lost some data because of it.

Thanked by 3uptime plumberg Ouji
  • @greattomeetyou said:

What does it mean???

When you reinstall the OS using their web interface, your 3TB external drive will be lost. Just be aware of it.

You would have to re-attach an new external drive, which would not have your old data.

So everytime I reinstall OS, the system will allot me a new disc from the pool or just format the existing one as a part of the reinstall?

Thnx.

• @plumberg said:

@greattomeetyou said:

What does it mean???

So everytime I reinstall OS, the system will allot me a new disc from the pool or just format the existing one as a part of the reinstall?

Thnx.

iirc it will just be a 0 byte disk named 'unassigned0'

• I highly recommend you try reinstalling and restoring from backup before adding any important files on the server. Just so you can check what you can expect on reinstalls/restores

Thanked by 2uptime plumberg
  • plumberg said: So everytime I reinstall OS, the system will allot me a new disc from the pool or just format the existing one as a part of the reinstall?

Test and see for yourself. Please report back. My experience was about 1 yr ago, they might have improved it.

We got this bug reported and will be improved as soon as possible. Thanks for everyone’s sharing bugs with us.

• How does Windows install work? Does it use the primary NVME or the extended 3TB block? @key900
    Also, can I upload my custom ISO?

• ****> @plumberg said:

How does Windows install work? Does it use the primary NVME or the extended 3TB block?

windows is just a template. not licensed so you need your own key. installs to the nvme drive. You can also upload custom iso but id probably avoid installing to block storage regardless.

• @james50a said:
    ****> @plumberg said:

How does Windows install work? Does it use the primary NVME or the extended 3TB block?

windows is just a template. not licensed so you need your own key. installs to the nvme drive. You can also upload custom iso but id probably avoid installing to block storage regardless.

Hmm, but 20gb disk will be so less for a windows install.... Thnx

• @greattomeetyou said:

What does it mean???

This looks like a bug.

I don't think a reinstall should affect the block storage. It may destroy the partition information about the block storage if that is stored on the NVMe, but whatever is on the block storage should be intact.

Isn't that the whole idea of block storage?

• rchurch said: This looks like a bug.

They agree.

key900 said: We got this bug reported and will be improved as soon as possible. Thanks for everyone’s sharing bugs with us.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @key900 said:
    There is few order pending left once we got all up we will check the capacity if there is any available resources we will set them open, we will have new nodes coming up by next week or so.

Please, don't forget about other payment methods like BItcoin Cash next time :)

• I have one of the Black Friday specials. I had my VPS turned off for a few months and when I rebooted it, the 256MB storage disk was missing. Happily, I hadn't yet put anything on that disk. The conclusion is ... minimally, to be careful.

Thanked by 3uptime vimalware ITLabs
  • @angstrom said:
    I have one of the Black Friday specials. I had my VPS turned off for a few months and when I rebooted it, the 256MB storage disk was missing. Happily, I hadn't yet put anything on that disk. The conclusion is ... minimally, to be careful.

That is a grumpyCat.jpg level Bug.

Maybe it's a sign.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • vimalware said: the 256MB storage

Meh, how much data could you have had on 256MB anyway? ;-)

Thanked by 3Ouji angstrom bdl
  • Never trust a back up solution until you've tested the restore a few times, especially those GUI, one click restore.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Of course, I missed this offer. I go camping at the worst times.

Well it’s not bug just the features not add yet so we will do our best to change this in the future.

• @vimalware said:

@angstrom said:
    I have one of the Black Friday specials. I had my VPS turned off for a few months and when I rebooted it, the 256MB storage disk was missing. Happily, I hadn't yet put anything on that disk. The conclusion is ... minimally, to be careful.

That is a grumpyCat.jpg level Bug.

Maybe it's a sign.

No. Extra hassle is grumpyCat. Data loss is table flipping.

• @skorous said:

vimalware said: the 256MB storage

Meh, how much data could you have had on 256MB anyway? ;-)

Above, I meant to say 256GB :smile:

Thanked by 1skorous