Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time! - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time!

Comments

• Are there multiple reports of a reboot losing the block storage?

• @lowfront said:
    Are there multiple reports of a reboot losing the block storage?

I can confirm that a reboot does not result in losing the block storage.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

@rchurch said:
    Dudes' I have come to the conclusion that I can't recommend these guys in good faith. I'm not the kind of guy who comes to whinge on LET about tech support issues, but after spending a whole day trying to help them nail the issue I can't do this anymore..

This also goes for Hostdoc and one of their disrespectful clueless "techs".

Thanks god that someone already replay at this!

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3026238/#Comment_3026238

We will not going to install your iso free charge. This why we abort the installation it’s for example to you !. If you thought that you are our only client and only one who using the iso or even the Block Storage you will be wrong.

PS: we have screenshots of both Disks detected.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @samm said:

rchurch said: I have a feeling I will not be renewing the 3Tb storage node I just ordered, at least that is monthly.

rchurch said: I have paid for this node a year in advance and it is only 3 days old.

I am confused now. Did you pay monthly or yearly for 3TB storage ? I hope @key900 can enlighten us on this situation because I am his first time customer.

@angstrom said:
    I have one of the Black Friday specials. I had my VPS turned off for a few months and when I rebooted it, the 256MB storage disk was missing. Happily, I hadn't yet put anything on that disk. The conclusion is ... minimally, to be careful.

edited October 2019

@rchurch said:

@samm said:

rchurch said: I have a feeling I will not be renewing the 3Tb storage node I just ordered, at least that is monthly.

rchurch said: I have paid for this node a year in advance and it is only 3 days old.

I am confused now. Did you pay monthly or yearly for 3TB storage ? I hope @key900 can enlighten us on this situation because I am his first time customer.

@angstrom said:
    I have one of the Black Friday specials. I had my VPS turned off for a few months and when I rebooted it, the 256MB storage disk was missing. Happily, I hadn't yet put anything on that disk. The conclusion is ... minimally, to be careful.

Did you have any idea what he talking about? Or just doing Quote!

• isunbejoisunbejo Member
    edited October 2019

@dahartigan said:

@lowfront said:

Yes, it is true!

I have successfully reinstalled from Ubuntu to Debian ISO from the packages in the LA Letbox (20GB NVME+512GB & 20GB NVME+3TB) without losing data on disk /dev/sdb, rebooting many times, the data on /dev/sdb will not be lost, please check config mount /etc/fstab and check with command mount -a

Please dont be a dick!

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • What is the point of a storage node that loses data because your rebooted, with or without an ISO?

Let me get this straight.

You wanted to upgrade an existing service that has a smaller block storage package?

Also, you wanted to install an ISO directly on the new 'yearly paid' block storage?

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited October 2019

@dahartigan said:

@lowfront said:

Dude you can't confirm anything!!

Your employer HostDoc is equally shite. I transferred a node from them to Letbox when one of their silly techs took over.

I can see that the only reason the transfer to Letbox succeeded was because I did a block level transfer of the partitions, all 250Gb directly to the block storage and booted from it.

Now I tried to boot normally from their Control panel the whole partition info on the block storage is gone.

Let me put it plain English LOSING PARTITION INFORMATION IS PROOF THAT THERE IS A BUG IN THEIR SYSTEM. It is a bug whether it is on the NVMe or the block storage.

This screenshot from the control panel is proof that their system is buggy. A rescue CD is something used you the system is not booting normally, or say you forgot the root password and you have to chroot to fix it.

If after booting the rescue disk the partition info of the NVMe disappears then the system is buggy. If after aborting the use of rescue disk ie you do not write to disk or make any changes and the NVMe partition info is gone, the system is buggy. So IF this screen tells the truth, then it is proof that their system is buggy, even if they have given an advance warning.

• @bark said:

What is the point of a storage node that loses data because your rebooted, with or without an ISO?

Let me get this straight.

You wanted to upgrade an existing service that has a smaller block storage package?

Also, you wanted to install an ISO directly on the new 'yearly paid' block storage?

No. I have 3 nodes with Letbox. One is set to cancel this month. The latest one has been paid for yearly, only 3 days old, and the other one a new version of this offer, paid monthly.

On having problems with the new one, I asked to replace the one I am cancelling this month with the 3 days old one and they are refusing. It is irrelevant now because the partition info on that node too is gone.

I want to repeat, because there is clearly something wrong on my node. If after atttempting to use a stock rescue disk - System Rescue CD 6.0.3 is a customized ArchLinux system, the partition info disappears so that you can't even reboot into the original template installation, there is a bug somewhere in there system or on the node I am on period.

Just because other users have not come across it, doesn't mean the problem is not there because it is, and this people are denying it.

edited October 2019

@rchurch said:

@dahartigan said:

@lowfront said:

Your employer HostDoc is equally shite. I transferred a node from them to Letbox when one of their silly techs took over.

https://imgur.com/yS3UqAM

This enough to shows how unacknowledged you are.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @isunbejo said:

@dahartigan said:

@lowfront said:

Yes, it is true!

I have successfully reinstalled from Ubuntu to Debian ISO from the packages in the LA Letbox (20GB NVME+512GB & 20GB NVME+3TB) without losing data on disk /dev/sdb, rebooting many times, the data on /dev/sdb will not be lost, please check config mount /etc/fstab and check with command mount -a

Please dont be a dick!

@isunbejo said:

@dahartigan said:

@lowfront said:

Yes, it is true!

Please dont be a dick!

Why don't you tell that to their own tech support? Their own Centos 8 couldn't work!!

• @key900 said:

@rchurch said:

@dahartigan said:

@lowfront said:

@key900 said:

@rchurch said:

@dahartigan said:

@lowfront said:

Why are you pretending that a post made to @dahartigan was addressed to you? It shows how dishonest you are in your constant pretense that you don't understand English.

Me no speak English

• @key900 Here is a sign of your technical incompetence. Your own Debian 9 template is booting to a mixture of IPv4 and IPv6. You don't even seem to have the wits to disable IPv6 resolution on your own DNS servers or whatever it is you use.

If you have any competence why don't you set the template to disable IPv6 until the customer does it himself? It is only 2 lines in /etc/sysctl.conf.

This is why your own ISO installation couldn't resolve package repositories locations and you ask the customer to wait 10 minutes for the package resolution to fail and try another repo. 10 minutes is less than the time it takes to do a basic installation on a properly configured system.

• This is solid stuff fellas

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
    edited October 2019

@rchurch said:

@isunbejo said:

@dahartigan said:

@lowfront said:

If you have any competence why don't you set the template to disable IPv6 until the customer does it himself? It is only 2 lines in /etc/sysctl.conf.

It's doesn't means that you are not using IPV6 that all clients will not using it. look at yourself and if you don't feel it not fits your needs please kindly cancel it both please your 3tb and the other one and done with it.

This is the main reason that we make it very clear we are fully unmanaged services if you can't doing your staff please go with managed services.

i have no need to proof myself since it already done by clients. @isunbejo @dahartigan

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3029343/#Comment_3029343
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3026238/#Comment_3026238
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3029334/#Comment_3029334

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @rchurch said: This is why your own ISO installation couldn't resolve package repositories locations and you ask the customer to wait 10 minutes for the package resolution to fail and try another repo.

Just to note: If you use one of their templates, then it's not an ISO installation. (I understand what you mean, but it's a little confusing to speak of an ISO installation if you're using a template.)

Thanked by 2dahartigan vimalware
  • Why my order status is fraud ?

• @rchurch you're a clueless moron. You actually demonstrated your complete lack of knowledge and that you clearly show affinity towards jumping to (crazy) conclusions.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • rchurchrchurch Member
    edited October 2019

@angstrom said:

@rchurch said: This is why your own ISO installation couldn't resolve package repositories locations and you ask the customer to wait 10 minutes for the package resolution to fail and try another repo.

Just to note: If you use one of their templates, then it's not an ISO installation. (I understand what you mean, but it's a little confusing to speak of an ISO installation if you're using a template.)

I know the difference between a template and an ISO installation. A template installs automatically and an ISO is controlled by the user with noVNC.

The screenshot showing the apt install vim screen is from their own template, and it is hanging because it is booting with IPv4 (I know because I connected to it with ssh using IPv4) and trying to resolve hosts with IPv6.

Debian 9 has been around for ages and is now replaced with Debian 10. How long does it take them to fix a buggy Debian 9 template?

SystemRescueCD 6.0.0 is basically an ArchLinux system and now they have removed it from one of the nodes.

The dude cannot even comprehend that an ISO will not destroy partition info unless you confirm that you want it to. That is the extent of their (in)competence.

This is what ifconfig shows after installing via a templaet

The following screens are what you see when you boot with an ISO after installing via a template. They've either got faulty hardware or faulty drivers. Perhaps they haven't got their VIRTIO/SATA act together or are using some new untested hardware.

The least they can do is to hire someone who at least understands that this shouldn't happen, because sooner or later, you will have to rescue the system, even if it is something mundane as forgetting the root password.

Look at the nonsense some of the commenters here are repeating. 3TB of data is a lot to lose, because it is an alternate storage backup.

If they can't refund a 3 days old yearly contract (which I haven't even got round to asking) on a system which apparently lots of people want to sign on to then their confidence in their system must be very poor.

I suspect the reason they keep repeating these offers is that people are cancelling because it is not worth their time to deal with their incompetent tech support or complain on LET.

edited October 2019

@rchurch said:

@angstrom said:

@rchurch said: **This is

If they can't refund a 3 days old yearly contract (which I haven't even got round to asking) on a system which apparently lots of people want to sign on to then their confidence in their system must be very poor.

I suspect the reason they keep repeating these offers is that people are cancelling because it is not worth their time to deal with their incompetent tech support or complain on LET.

the cancellation request right on the Client Area go ahead and cancel it, and we never said we will not refund we did say we will credit your account because you already have active services. right now go ahead and cancel and i will refund and this this poor system to other people.

Thanks for your interesting.

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited October 2019

@dahartigan said:
    @rchurch you're a clueless moron. You actually demonstrated your complete lack of knowledge and that you clearly show affinity towards jumping to (crazy) conclusions.

@dahartigan Stop prostituting yourself for both HostDoc and Letbox.

The fact that you represent and support them is enough to give them a bad name.

Any savvy person reading my comments sees that I know what I am talking about.

Only a clueless idiot cannot understand this simple fact.

BOOTING WITH AN ISO SHOULD NOT AND WILL NOT DESTROY PARTITION INFORMATION UNLESS YOU RUN THE PARTITIONING SOFTWARE AND CONFIRM THAT THE WRITES SHOULD PROCEED

Obviously neither you nor those you represent understand this SIMPLE fact.

edited October 2019

@rchurch said:

BOOTING WITH AN ISO SHOULD WILL NOT DESTROY PARTITION INFORMATION UNLESS YOU RUN THE PARTITIONING SOFTWARE AND CONFIRM THAT THE WRITES SHOULD PROCEED

Please Stop wasting your time and send cancellation request.

• @rchurch said:

@dahartigan said:
    @rchurch you're a clueless moron. You actually demonstrated your complete lack of knowledge and that you clearly show affinity towards jumping to (crazy) conclusions.

@dahartigan said:

BOOTING WITH AN ISO SHOULD WILL NOT DESTROY PARTITION INFORMATION UNLESS YOU RUN THE PARTITIONING SOFTWARE AND CONFIRM THAT THE WRITES SHOULD PROCEED

It sounds like you're frustrated that you somehow managed to fry your data, and you're grasping at straws looking for someone else to blame other than yourself. I could only imagine how mentally tormenting that must be.

Prostituting for HostDoc and LetBox? Nah mate. I'm prostituting for common sense. Oh, and for potassium.

• @key900 Why don't you prove your technical competence first?

Show that at least you have support staff who know what they are talking about

Which part of

do you and your support staff don't effing understand?

Why don't you understand that if your template is booting into a mixture of IPv4 and IPv6 and trying to resolve with IPv6 host names it means that you haven't got your Debian 9 template together although Debian 10 is out? Let's see you put a Debian 10 ISO and template and lets see if you can get it to work.

I don't see Debian 10 in your templates. Hasn't any customer asked for it yet?

Prove your technical competence!! You are clearly using some whitebox system neither you nor your staff understand.

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited October 2019

@dahartigan said:

@rchurch said:

@dahartigan said:

@dahartigan said:

It sounds like you're frustrated that you somehow managed to fry your data, and you're grasping at straws looking for someone else to blame other than yourself. I could only imagine how mentally tormenting that must be.

Prostituting for HostDoc and LetBox? Nah mate. I'm prostituting for common sense. Oh, and for potassium.

Do you know why you are whoring yourself?

Because you don't know the facts!!

You are the only one here taking sides without knowing the facts and you don't understand that you are simply whoring yourself and looking the fool.

You haven't even addressed any of the points I have made as to their technical competence and you coming over here spouting ad hominems.

Do you even know what an ad hominem is?

I will tell you something. I have been through the process at least 8 times using their own ISOs and templates which were already there. And the problem still exists. And I haven't lost any data because I haven't tested their system well enough to trust my data to it, you moron.

GET THE FACTS RIGHT BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH, YOU IDIOT!!

@rchurch said:

@dahartigan said:

@rchurch said:

?

I will tell you something. I have been through the process at least 8 times using their own ISOs and templates which were already there. And the problem still exists. And I haven't lost any data because I haven't tested their system well enough to trust my data to it, you moron.

Get the facts before you open you mouth!!

Do i have to say it again? Simply cancel it and leave this poor system.

• Well, that escalated quickly...

• @rchurch

You really should calm down. You're making yourself look silly.

Just leave Letbox if it causes you so much trauma.

• @key900 said:

@rchurch said:

@dahartigan said:

@rchurch said:

?

Get the facts before you open you mouth!!

Do i have to say it again? Simply cancel it and leave this poor system.

No - I am not cancelling yet.

I am going to go through the process again, using your own templates and ISOs.

Then I will present the evidence.

Then you can take your time to fix it, a week if that is what it takes, or even a month if you want.

Then I will cancel it if the problem exists, and I see no satisfactory workaround.

Rest assured it is only 4 days into a one year contract. I can be patient.

I have 2 or 3 other nodes with other providers which are well into the 3rd month that I haven't used, not even gone into their Solus VM. You can be assured that I am not in a hurry.

I prefer to pay in advance because I can't be bothered with lots of tiny bills every month asking for between 5-20 dollars and having to go through the steps and some shit. I prefer to pay and forget about it.

All I expect is an acknowledgement that there are some bugs in the system, that even if some of them are hard to fix, workarounds exist.

I don't expect perfection from any provider, even the expensive ones, just the capability to recognize there may be a fault and a commitment to fixing it in the long term or providing an alternative if a fix proves impossible in reasonable time.

Even the things which seem outwardly reliable are usually held together behind the scenes with duct tape, tweezers and the principle if it ain't broke don't fix it. I've been in IT long enough to know that this is the status quo.

We get this.

As for System Rescue CD the 6.0.0 version was already on your system and I asked for it to be upgraded to 6.0.3 because I thought 6.0.0 was defaulting to IPv6, only to realize from installing your Debian 9 template that your network was not sensibly configured.

Now you have gone and removed it as though that is where the problem lies, even when the standard Debian 9 and ArchLinux rescue modes experience the same thing.