Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time!

Comments

• Great price, considering to get one.

Thanked by 1letbox
  • @Xiaoming said:
    I am Chinese, but I do read the TOS and AUP, and I am fully aware of what I am doing. Would you let me get one?

I don't think key is racist and cares what culture you're from just if your buying it from /to use with traffic from China.

• @Xiaoming said:
    I am Chinese, but I do read the TOS and AUP, and I am fully aware of what I am doing. Would you let me get one?

Beg for...?

• What products are you selling, are you not sure? 30G automatic empty routing, often automatically restart, I want to use it? ?
    Also discriminate against the Chinese, at least we will not give bad reviews, such as aws, gcp, linode and vultr.
    Give it to me for free, and I don't want it!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Please clarify your CPU usage policy. Is it 2 x 30% or 2 x 15% = 30%? What's the max duration one can be at 100% before being alerted/throttled?

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @lowendclient said:

@Xiaoming said:

Beg for...?

I think he is ridiculing, not begging.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2019

Ok well this better not turn into a session of flaming a company for whom they decide to do business with.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@Xiaoming said:

You are welcome to order.

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited September 2019

I personally agree with the OP's way, at least he shows clearly what customers he don't want. So we can avoid in advance, save the time. It's much better than ruling ambiguous and play tricks behind (eg. Maxmind nation filter, block VM due to Chinese client). There's nothing to blame, what I can say is the standard of 'Good service' you think is totally different, so just draw a clear line.

@james50a said:

@Xiaoming said:

I don't think key is racist and cares what culture you're from just if your buying it from /to use with traffic from China.

I have nothing against Chinese i just want to cut my losses of chargebacks fee and wasting more time than i want to.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@dovehlj said:
    aha....where R u from?

Check the letbox domain whois it’s public.

• jbuggie said: What's the max duration one can be at 100% before being alerted/throttled?

for what it's worth, just my 2 cents until @key900 finds time to give a better answer:

probably depends on a few things - I'm guessing mainly on the load on whatever node you happen to be on. I get the feeling they are more than happy to accommodate typical usage patterns such as one would see with transcoding or compiling (high utilization for a few hours in a day, but not 24/7) - and conversely they would be leery of encouraging abuse (attempts at cryptocurrency mining). So a bit might depend on perceived usage patterns of an individual account if/when something goes past a soft limit - they'll may be willing/able to let it ride unless it's an everyday thing. (Might be a good idea to put in a ticket to give them a heads up if you know you've got some rare heavy-duty workload on any given day.)

Based on the 30% figure - would be really surprised if pegging both vcores for more than 8 hours didn't trigger an inquiry and eventually some intervention. (Though I am truly just guessing about that specific number - it is about 30% of 24 hours.) And if there are even just a few other people also wanting to use a significant amount of CPU on the node - then, well ... it is a shared resource, so seems fair to expect CPU gluttons would be getting throttled sooner rather than later in that scenario. Which will leave a reasonably performant system available for the rest of the people paying their $7 per month, so personally I'm okay with that.

It may be helpful to do some math to get to a "fair share" bottom line - if you're on a node where everyone is trying to max out the CPU - how's that going to work for $7 per month? Maybe try to price out a dedicated server in Los Angeles, and then see what 30% of 2 vcores would work out to.

tl;dr: CPU limits really shouldn't be an issue for people not trying to mine crypto. Scenarios that involve a lot of transcoding are probably going to hit bandwidth limits before anything else. In most cases should be fine to just do your thing and if it's a problem then you'll have a chance to make necessary adjustments without too much bad noise. But if you really are expecting to need sustained high CPU then maybe better get a dedi or at least a fully dedicated core somewhere else.

• I'm more interested in knowing that the host mean by fair share vs abuse. None of mine VPS get over 30% more than a few hours a day. However, some tasks (compiling, initial moving of data) will definitely peak the CPU at 100% for sometime but not 24/7. Knowing the limit will help me plan the work load appropriately and setup proper monitoring.

It's best to learn the limit before being throttled. Some host will throttle you without saying a word and that's not very pleasant. FWIW, my setup is on 100% encrypted disk and as such is very sensitive to CPU throttling. All of them are monitored so if CPU is over certain limit for such a time, I got notified.

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2019

@key900 said:

@Nekki said:
    LA isn’t on my wishlist

Thinking of Ashburn

Ashburn would be preferable I think.

Thanked by 1letbox

@jbuggie said:
    I'm more interested in knowing that the host mean by fair share vs abuse. None of mine VPS get over 30% more than a few hours a day. However, some tasks (compiling, initial moving of data) will definitely peak the CPU at 100% for sometime but not 24/7. Knowing the limit will help me plan the work load appropriately and setup proper monitoring.

It's best to learn the limit before being throttled. Some host will throttle you without saying a word and that's not very pleasant. FWIW, my setup is on 100% encrypted disk and as such is very sensitive to CPU throttling. All of them are monitored so if CPU is over certain limit for such a time, I got notified.

30% can be used all time We don’t throttled the CPU without notification the client sometime don’t even know that VPs 100% CPU could be some software crashing or something els. Most people are coming back to us and asked if we can allowing few hours to do some tasking like moving data etc. it’s ok as long as we know when it will stop and what you are doing nothing comes to illegal but it really depend as @uptime said.

BTW: we allocated 2 CPU Sockets not vcores

• jbuggie said: None of mine VPS get over 30% more than a few hours a day. However, some tasks (compiling, initial moving of data) will definitely peak the CPU at 100% for sometime but not 24/7.

sounds reasonable - the "few hours a day" being the key

Knowing the limit will help me plan the work load appropriately and setup proper monitoring.

agreed, that would be nice! Though can see how @key900 & co may find it useful to play it by ear - I do understand that what one person may appreciate as flexibility, someone else might perceive as a source of uncertainty.

Hopefully they'll be able to provide more specific guidance for you. I'm guessing you won't have any problems.

I just like to rant and write essays every now and then. :scream:

You're probably way ahead of me on this type of stuff, but just to share with the rest of the class ...

One thing I've gotten in the habit of doing when I need to use a bit of CPU on a Virmach VPS (where they do have relatively conservative and well-defined limits) is to script a loop with a "sleep" for the same amount of time as any CPU-intensive task. So if for example say I've got a bunch of encrypted archive files to decrypt and uncompress, and processing each archive burns CPU for a minute - then inserting a sleep 60 following each operation keeps my longer-term average load from going above 50% ... Task takes twice as long to complete of course, but I don't really care about that as long as it gets done without causing problems. Crude but effective I guess.

Anyway - when in doubt about limits somewhere else, I just do the same as what's been working well on Virmach.

(And if I really need more grunt in a hurry, then I move stuff over to a dedi or spin up a "compute-intensive" instance somewhere to deal with it.)

Thanked by 2FAT32 vimalware
  • @key900 said:

30% can be used all time We don’t throttled the CPU without notification the client sometime don’t even know that VPs 100% CPU could be some software crashing or something els.

30% on each core or 30% combined (15% ea)?

• MilonMilon Member
    edited September 2019

Oh, no :( I'm unlucky. Already have invoice, but I through that @key900 use bitpay payment processor with the support of Bitcoin Cash. But there is no Bitcoin Cash support at his site, but I don't have Bitcoin and stopped using it already, because to high commissions to send coins and withdraw them from exchange and need to wait so long time for confirmations if commission to low. :(
    Maybe it is not so difficult to add BitcoinCash support? :blush: :blush: :blush:

Thanked by 1cause
  • Can we upgrade to 10gbps later? @key900

• dahartigan said: I'm excited, this is possibly going to force me to cancel my 2TB SYS ARM.. just maybe..

Not sure if you noticed this, but they have made it so you can no longer order the SYSARM servers anymore. So, when you cancel, be sure your done with it as it will be gone for good. I am not sure their policy about transfer but may be worth doing that instead of canceling so someone else gets a go at cheap storage.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• Is it allowed? torrent or seedbox

• @albadri said:
    Is it allowed? torrent or seedbox

yes they allow torrents.

• I am a Chinese, this is blatant discrimination, if you are afraid of risk and abuse, please state in the agreement。Of course, if your product is bad, I don't think many people will buy it.

Thanked by 1Mxl
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited September 2019

One way that good-standing LET members can get into 'restricted' providers, is to club together as a sort of Mainland Buyers' club. (subject to provider approval)

Typically, Each provider would have a percentage threshold of bad behavior they would tolerate from any random set of 100 users.

As long as this union can guarantee that their average stays close to the providers' global average, most providers really wouldn't mind having those clients.

What you're seeing here is a provider who realized that policing a certain geography's users, is taking up too much time and material resources.

Self-policing mechanics are the only alternative for the decent people from that Geographical location.

Behold(maybe I'm just unnaturally optimistic) , the power of Unions to keep their members' behavior in check.

Caveat: unions have costs too. Nothing of value is free.

Thanked by 3Anoneko uptime ITLabs
  • @uptime In case you aren't aware, check out cpulimit . IIRC it works by automatically using kill -stop and kill -cont in the background to stop and start your processes and keep the load down. Works for processes that are longer running where a sleep won't help you.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • We happy to do this offer for LEB only.
    LEB

Thanked by 1isunbejo

@ehab said:
    @key900 maybe what @cazrz means is will next due date reflect the deployment date?

All renew date will be fixed a soon as the services setup.

@ssjoy said:
    I am a Chinese, this is blatant discrimination, if you are afraid of risk and abuse, please state in the agreement。Of course, if your product is bad, I don't think many people will buy it.

Are you sure? Because we included everything and yet they just ignore everything we said they even ignored our mentions of setup time while they ordered and in TOS. For example

One just order few hours ago with this offer then later open ticket asking why the services is pending since it passed 2 hours!?? We mentioned the setup very clear in the Order form i’m not sure what els we can do! Did you need more reason why we want a void China? I have plenty of them.

edited September 2019

@plumberg said:
    Can we upgrade to 10gbps later? @key900

Yes you can.

@Milon said:
    Oh, no :( I'm unlucky. Already have invoice, but I through that @key900 use bitpay payment processor with the support of Bitcoin Cash. But there is no Bitcoin Cash support at his site, but I don't have Bitcoin and stopped using it already, because to high commissions to send coins and withdraw them from exchange and need to wait so long time for confirmations if commission to low. :(
    Maybe it is not so difficult to add BitcoinCash support? :blush: :blush: :blush:

Will do my best to provide it.

@jbuggie said:

@key900 said:

30% can be used all time We don’t throttled the CPU without notification the client sometime don’t even know that VPs 100% CPU could be some software crashing or something els.

30% on each core or 30% combined (15% ea)?

Yes it something like 30% both.

@Mxl said:
    We happy to do this offer for LEB only.
    LEB

Typo I cannot fix it now

• williewillie Member
    edited September 2019

nm

• Lulz ... I like the suggestion made by @vimalware for a "mainland buyer's club" though maybe best to break out further discussion to a separate thread.

Thanked by 2isunbejo ITLabs