Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostMantis - New Announcement - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostMantis - New Announcement

12346»

Comments

• It would have been a better PR move if they had thrown that in as a "bonus" during the whole price raise issue...why now? Trying to get back customers?

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • emghemgh Member

@buzzyLET said:
    It would have been a better PR move if they had thrown that in as a "bonus" during the whole price raise issue...why now? Trying to get back customers?

They won't though because they are shady as hell.

• @emgh said:

Have you used them?

• One doesn't need to be a customer of theirs, to know that they are shady.

Thanked by 2Spotlight Sofia_K
  • LeeLee Veteran

emgh said: They won't though because they are shady as hell.

I'd hate to owe you money :)

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@aaronstuder said:

@emgh said:

Have you used them?

Yes I have.

@Lee said:

emgh said: They won't though because they are shady as hell.

I'd hate to owe you money :)

Maybe you do? $10 wasn't it? ;)

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

emgh said: Maybe you do? $10 wasn't it?

Sorry, you're breaking up, call me tomorrow.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019

I love people are keeping this thread warm no matter what!

BTW what's the use of bumping I/O limit?
    Its good only for high-traffic sites which are totally database driven.
    Normally on shared platform a 5MB/s I/O to 10MB/s I/O is sufficient even for wordpress sites getting 10,000 visits a day. I had one on bluehost with 1MB/s I/O in year 2013, and the site was getting 15K u.v. day and still would be fast enough.
    Above 20 MB/s I/O is good if you are taking backups.

More than that on shared platform is just marketing-gimmick. Anything more than 20 MB/s here is useless for actual use.

So even if a host offers 100 MB/s I/O on shared and limits CPU usage for just 25%, then such I/O bump is not going to be used even by 0.001% of its entire customers!

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited July 2019

@Sofia_K said:
    I love people are keeping this thread warm no matter what!

BTW what's the use of bumping I/O limit?
    Its good only for high-traffic sites which are totally database driven.
    Normally on shared platform a 5MB/s I/O to 10MB/s I/O is sufficient even for wordpress sites getting 10,000 visits a day. I had one on bluehost with 1MB/s I/O in year 2013, and the site was getting 15K u.v. day and still would be fast enough.
    Above 20 MB/s I/O is good if you are taking backups.

More than that on shared platform is just marketing-gimmick. Anything more than 20 MB/s here is useless for actual use.

So even if a host offers 100 MB/s I/O on shared and limits CPU usage for just 25%, then such I/O bump is not going to be used even by 0.001% of its entire customers!

Do you see a scenario where users having such high I/O limits could hurt the server performance/other users?

If not - it's all good.

I've seen MDDhosting allow such high limits as well.

Tested with a poorly optimized WodrPess website:
    it didn't come anywhere close to the I/O limits on either MDDhosting, nor on HostMantis, while with MDDhosting it would hit the CPU limit - and not on HostMantis. Guess not all the 1 vCPU cores are created equal. :) When updating posts at least. For just handling visitor traffic, both hosting providers were good.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • bikegremlin said: Do you see a scenario where users having such high I/O limits could hurt the server performance/other users? If not - it's all good.

lol. seems you are handsomely paid by HM (or you want to save your 3 year cheapo deal and don't want them to be out of business soon) to brag about them on Blog, LET, WHT, and wherever you can even if it sounds technically irrelevant!

And its not good because novice users will fall prey to such marketing gimmicks. "Oh! 50MB/s I/O WOW.. i'm goona signup right now!" when in-fact their sites don't even need such things on shared platform. Same goes with unmetered bandwidth on shared plans. Normally a high traffic site will use 300 GB - 500 GB (that too if they've images) on shared hosting, beyond that the site will simply on sustain the CPU/RAM and will have to be migrated to VPS.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited July 2019

@Sofia_K said:

bikegremlin said: Do you see a scenario where users having such high I/O limits could hurt the server performance/other users? If not - it's all good.

lol. seems you are handsomely paid by HM (or you want to save your 3 year cheapo deal and don't want them to be out of business soon) to brag about them on Blog, LET, WHT, and wherever you can even if it sounds technically irrelevant!

Each has the right to their own opinion. Since you've practically made a pubic accusation here, with the risk of me as well coming off in poor taste (and "justifying" myself), I can say, whether you believe it or not is up to you:

I have no "connection" with HostMantis except being a client.

Of course, I wouldn't like to loose what's been a good quality service at bargain price, but:

• Don't think that anything I could do, or write could change that.
    • Won't go bankrupt with a more expensive hosting package.
    • Am concerned whether they will remain in business and keep the hosting quality at this level, so not hosting any "Important" client websites there this year, unfortunately.
    • Am looking at other "budget" reseller options, in case HM deadpools, for the testing/development.
    • Use other providers for the "important" stuff. Thought after some 6 months testing HM could become one as well, but with these new turn of events - I'd have to give it some more time. Wasn't expecting anything good for 0.5 $ per month and was pleasantly surprised.
    • Review on my website is as objective as I'm able to write it - if you have any complaints about it, let me know - constructive criticism is the way to make things better. In fact, after the cPanel price rise, I added a passage explaining the new pricing is not long term sustainable to warn any readers. After the HM price rise, that passage was removed.
      Did the same with my Veerotech review, since they were offering unlimited cPanel reseller hosting for almost 2 months - also removed after they stopped offering that.
      With both those providers I first contacted them, waited for a few days, then wrote the warning at the start of the reviews - after seeing they didn't do anything about it. After the price/offer edits, it was removed. Think I was too hasty to add that in the first place, wasn't very fair, should have waited at least a few weeks - it's been a sudden change and most providers are in a difficult situation now.

• I'd say it is you who has an agenda. Some of your posts in this thread have been very educational (Cloudflare explained in detail - that was brilliant). But most others have been like looking for a reason/way to bash this hosting provider. Is there something in particular we should know about them?

And its not good because novice users will fall prey to such marketing gimmicks. "Oh! 50MB/s I/O WOW.. i'm goona signup right now!" when in-fact their sites don't even need such things on shared platform. Same goes with unmetered bandwidth on shared plans. Normally a high traffic site will use 300 GB - 500 GB (that too if they've images) on shared hosting, beyond that the site will simply on sustain the CPU/RAM and will have to be migrated to VPS.

I agree with this. That is also my impression. It's 99.9% marketing.
    But you can't blame a company for using marketing. Or you could call practically all the hosting providers gimmicks.

Thanked by 2Amitz level6
  • LeeLee Veteran

Sofia_K said: I love people are keeping this thread warm no matter what!

Which includes you of course.

Thanked by 2Amitz mk1
  • AmitzAmitz Member

It's not PMS in her case, it's HMS (HostMantisSyndrome).

Thanked by 3Lee level6 webclouddev
  • level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

And she/he isn't even a HostMantis user! I am an active user, and want HM to succeed. I know first hand thay they provide a very good service. It's kind of trollish behavior to focus on one single host. What will make sofia_k happy? It appears nothing less than HM deadpool.

• emghemgh Member

@level6 said:

And she/he isn't even a HostMantis user! I am an active user, and want HM to succeed. I know first hand thay they provide a very good service. It's kind of trollish behavior to focus on one single host. What will make sofia_k happy? It appears nothing less than HM deadpool.

I'm right in the middle. I am a Hostmantis user but I don't want them to succeed.

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019

Lee said: Which includes you of course.

yup!

• Don't worry guise, it's 4 lyf.

Thanked by 2FlamesRunner emgh
  • donlidonli Member

@Mic-hael said:
    Don't worry guise, it's 4 lyf.

Something bit the head off that promise.

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019

Mic-hael said: Don't worry guise, it's 4 lyf.

Hostmantis even got warning from twitter for spamming the tweets. Same tweets everyday for months and months.... Which doesn't add any value to twitter! Later they STOPPED spamming.

It was similar like alpharacks/woot/psk who sends same offer emails daily.

garbage.

• emghemgh Member

@Sofia_K said:

Mic-hael said: Don't worry guise, it's 4 lyf.

Hostmantis even got warning from twitter for spamming the tweets. Same tweets everyday for months and months.... Which doesn't add any value to twitter! Later they STOPPED spamming.

It was similar like alpharacks/woot/psk who sends same offer emails daily.

garbage.

Looks like they used a bot for it honestly.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • emgh said: Looks like they used a bot for it honestly.

what's the bot name?
    DiscountBot? or SpamBot? :wink:

• @Sofia_K said:

Lee said: Which includes you of course.

yup!

What bikegremlin said reminded me of, from community rules:

While a certain amount of community self moderation has always been acceptable and is still acceptable apply common sense and try to be constructive. e.g. "OpenVZ is rubbish" or "I can get this cheaper at xyz host" is of no use to anyone, if you feel that way then just move on, do not assume your thoughts are welcome and widely accepted by the community.