Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostMantis - New Announcement - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostMantis - New Announcement

Comments

• FAT32 said: No images allowed on signature, please remove it

yeah that was by error! removed.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019

Dwayne said: How does the cPanel pricing model work? What if customers don't use all of their allotted accounts, does the provider have to pay for them anyway?

1. Host sells you the plan for $X/per month with 10 cpanel accounts included.
    2. Cpanel bills them for "actual cpanel accounts created"
    3. You, the reseller, creates only 5 cpanel accounts.
    4. Your Host will pay cpanel for 5 cpanel accounts ONLY.
    5. Since 10 accounts are included in your PLAN, you would be charged FIXED $X/per momth.

So if you use or not all the allocated accounts, you are paying the host the entire amount (hosting plan price plus 10 accounts), but host is paying cpanel for whatever accounts are created!

simple.

• LimpanLimpan Member
    edited July 2019

@Skander said:
    To anyone that is unhappy with how they handled this, simply ask for a refund and move along.

I was granted a full refund immediately.

Nice. I was denied a refund when I asked, and the reason for that according to the support is that my account has been with them for over 30 days (59 to be exact), so I can't have a refund for the remaining time.

I can live without the money, but makes me kind of pissed when they changed my original reseller account from 50 account limit to 10, which is not the product I ordered, and then raising prices with 275%.

Thanked by 2Spotlight emgh
  • donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@Limpan said:

@Skander said:
    To anyone that is unhappy with how they handled this, simply ask for a refund and move along.

I was granted a full refund immediately.

Nice. I was denied a refund when I asked, and the reason for that according to the support is that my account has been with them for over 30 days (59 to be exact), so I can't have a refund for the remaining time.

I can live without the money, but makes me kind of pissed when they changed my original reseller account from 50 account limit to 10, which is not the product I ordered, and then raising prices with 275%.

If the terms of the plan are changed before the period you paid for has expired, you should have a right to a prorated refund for the time remaining.

Thanked by 2Limpan emgh
  • LimpanLimpan Member

@donli said:
    If the terms of the plan are changed before the period you paid for has expired, you should have a right to a prorated refund for the time remaining.

Actually just got a a partial refund when I referred to the account change.

• Fair play to them for the partial refund. If they have changed the product since you signed up i.e. 50 account vs 10 accounts then yes you would be entitled to a partial refund for the time remaining as the product is different from hat what you originally brought.

• @HostMantis, I am very confused now with the back and forth on the email and what I see in the control panel. I signed up for two services with you using the 80% recurring discount coupon. I see in Services that my renewal price has changed. So does the new price take effect upon renewal or are you going to be billing me separate for the change of price sometime soon?

• donlidonli Member

@mansoor said:
    @HostMantis, I am very confused now with the back and forth on the email and what I see in the control panel. I signed up for two services with you using the 80% recurring discount coupon. I see in Services that my renewal price has changed. So does the new price take effect upon renewal or are you going to be billing me separate for the change of price sometime soon?

As I understand it, our shared plans will remain unchanged until they come up for renewal.

• emghemgh Member

@donli said:

@mansoor said:
    @HostMantis, I am very confused now with the back and forth on the email and what I see in the control panel. I signed up for two services with you using the 80% recurring discount coupon. I see in Services that my renewal price has changed. So does the new price take effect upon renewal or are you going to be billing me separate for the change of price sometime soon?

As I understand it, our shared plans will remain unchanged until they come up for renewal.

As in, create a backup. Use the service. Migrate before the term ends.

• I have to stay with HM reseler plan as my client WP sites (using around 10gb each) are running fine without so called 'limit' issues. As there are less than 10 cpanel accounts, reduced numbers aren't affecting me except the price. SG location is the catch.

So HM, am staying with you. But don't repeat such exorbitant hikes in future.

Thanked by 1HostMantis
  • emghemgh Member

@Intelpentium0 said:
    I have to stay with HM reseler plan as my client WP sites (using around 10gb each) are running fine without so called 'limit' issues. As there are less than 10 cpanel accounts, reduced numbers aren't affecting me except the price. SG location is the catch.

So HM, am staying with you. But don't repeat such exorbitant hikes in future.

https://www.ovh.com/sg/vps/
    https://www.linode.com/pricing
    https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/

• Limpan said: I can live without the money, but makes me kind of pissed when they changed my original reseller account from 50 account limit to 10, which is not the product I ordered.

true. You can just chargeback if your Host changes the plan terms/features/account limit before the contract ends because they sold you a different product and now offering you a differnet one even if they throw some freebies with it. I just talked with my bank to chargeback 2-3 hosts who will be changing the allocated accounts on my plan before my contract expires next year! With rest honoring the plan terms/features, I'm happy to pay the higher price during contract renewal.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Sofia_K said:

Limpan said: I can live without the money, but makes me kind of pissed when they changed my original reseller account from 50 account limit to 10, which is not the product I ordered.

true. You can just chargeback if your Host changes the plan terms/features/account limit before the contract ends because they sold you a different product and now offering you a differnet one even if they throw some freebies with it. I just talked with my bank to chargeback 2-3 hosts who will be changing the allocated accounts on my plan before my contract expires next year! With rest honoring the plan terms/features, I'm happy to pay the higher price during contract renewal.

Chargeback always sucks. Contact HM for a refund, I'm sure they'll grant it :)

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2019

Given HostMantis' almost non-existent profit margin, you guys have a real shot at shutting him down by chargebacks.

Personally, I wouldn't do that.
    Dickly though, I'd totally do that.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • emghemgh Member

deank said: Given HostMantis' almost non-existent profit margin, you guys have a real shot at shutting him down by chargebacks.

And the fact that they sold tons of deals within the 3 dollar range and will pay to pay the .2 per month until renewal, then they'd have to scale down on servers quickly with all the cancellations and also invoices just not being paid. I'd say the chance of surviving it until then is 80/20, but actually surviving that and rescaleing the business accordingly, 50/50.

The hosting biz must be a second job or hobby for him.

I cannot imagine making a living with a profit margin of 1%. So, I will say that his chance of survival is high simply because he has another income source, probably.

Thanked by 2Lee Sofia_K
  • emghemgh Member

@deank said:
    The hosting biz must be a second job or hobby for him.

I cannot imagine making a living with a profit margin of 1%. So, I will say that his chance of survival is high simply because he has another income source, probably.

Does he love Hostmantis enough to pay for working? Before I'd say the profit margin was higher and the amount of work was far less.

edited July 2019

He could probably take few hits. And given a fact that he has chosen a healthy biz plan recently, shoving 500% price increase (AKA feces) into people's faces.

Pretty sure he expects to lose majority of customers but I assume few will stay on. And from those who stay, he can probably make far more profit than he ever did with just 2 customers staying.

Laughed at what I've just wrote. Profit from 2 customers is more than profit from his entire client base of the old plan.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

deank said: Laughed at what I've just wrote. Profit from 2 customers is more than profit from his entire client base of the old plan.

Funny thing is - it's probably very accurate. The scaling back though, I can imagine that taking a long time to go smoothly.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

Not sure how many of you have used Hostmantis. The hosting is solid. Business plan, customer interactions/PR - needs improvement. I hope they can adjust to the cPanel price changes. Since most of their customers are cheap motherfuckers price sensistive, they should really be all over DirectAdmin.

• emghemgh Member
    edited July 2019

@level6 said:
    Not sure how many of you have used Hostmantis. The hosting is solid. Business plan, customer interactions/PR - needs improvement. I hope they can adjust to the cPanel price changes. Since most of their customers are cheap motherfuckers price sensistive, they should really be all over DirectAdmin.

So one thing is solid and 2 or 3 things needs imporvement. Doesn't sound too good to me. Also, with how the handeled this they completely lost my and many others trust no matter any price changes in the right direct in the coming months - and I am kind of certain that it won't happen as their reputation is already gone, so why try to go back?

Edit: On another more positive note, I agree. The hosting is solid.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • I took several suggestions here and finally decided to go with @HostMantis . Services are working gr8 no issues till date. When they announced about new prices i was really shocked and angry, but after submitting ticket they increased discount from 25% to 50%

I am ok with that and staying with HM.

• nishantk said: I took several suggestions here and finally decided to go with @HostMantis

LOL. hat's off to those who suggested you! You'll (soon) remember them for a life-time.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @nishantk said:
    I took several suggestions here and finally decided to go with @HostMantis . Services are working gr8 no issues till date. When they announced about new prices i was really shocked and angry, but after submitting ticket they increased discount from 25% to 50%

I am ok with that and staying with HM.

That's psychology. You take people's money - they get angry.
    You take the food as well - they get desperate.
    You give them food - you're god! :)

But with this, it's about provider staying in business.
    For my (reseller) hosting plan, even with the decreased number of cPanels included in the price, 25% discount was the break-even price. 50% discount, if I use more than 6 cPanels, leads to a loss.

So that is what worries me. As @Sofia_K noted: they are not only providing that to the current customers, but selling it still to the new ones. I can only hope they have a good plan and the shared hosting prices are enough to cover those losses (and make a profit), or that most resellers don't use more than 6 cPanels on average, so they remain in business and the service remains good.

Only time will tell.

Thanked by 2nishantk emgh
  • Can someone explain me the CPanel drama?

• FootKaputFootKaput Member
    edited July 2019

@failhostings said:
    Can someone explain me the CPanel drama?

Basically, cPanel changed the pricing structure overnight, charging for each cPanel account including each reseller account, so a reseller with unlimited re-sold accounts could have 100s of accounts and would rack up a huge bill. No more unlimited licenses, $45 for the first 100, then 20 cents for each over 100.

Specifically for HostMantis, they were running a pretty killer deal at 80% off recurring, and because of the cPanel, they raised prices and lowered reseller allotted accounts to compensate, along with going back on their recurring 80% deal. Their explanation was that with the cPanel price hike, they would not be sustainable and likely have to shut down, so they had no choice but to raise prices.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158547/new-cpanel-licensing-and-pricing-structure-thoughts

Thanked by 1failhostings
  • @FootKaput said:

@failhostings said:
    Can someone explain me the CPanel drama?

Basically, cPanel changed the pricing structure overnight, charging for each cPanel account including each reseller account, so a reseller with unlimited re-sold accounts could have 100s of accounts and would rack up a huge bill. No more unlimited licenses, $45 for the first 100, then 20 cents for each over 100.

Specifically for HostMantis, they were running a pretty killer deal at 80% off recurring, and because of the cPanel, they raised prices and lowered reseller allotted accounts to compensate, along with going back on their recurring 80% deal. Their explanation was that with the cPanel price hike, they would not be sustainable and likely have to shut down, so they had no choice but to raise prices.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158547/new-cpanel-licensing-and-pricing-structure-thoughts

I see .There are good alternatives for cPanel nowadays , Im sure for non bussiness users will be even a larger dropout rate as now there are quite alot of software web installers of applications .

• donlidonli Member

Oh I missed that someone announced they've increased their I/O limits again...

Thanked by 2Ympker level6
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@donli said:
    Oh I missed that someone announced they've increased their I/O limits again...

Nice :)

• AmitzAmitz Member

At no unsuspected surcharge!

Thanked by 2emgh Sofia_K