Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostMantis - New Announcement - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostMantis - New Announcement

Comments

• @Sofia_K said:

Anyways, my post was to point to that with their new coupon and new prices they are totally in LOSS/UN-SUSTAINABLE in short and long run (both)

Its upto their customers to blindfold their eyes and keep hosting with them or move out ASAP.

any other suggestions ? who provide somewhat same resources i.e. 30 mb/s i/o and 30EP with 3 gb ram for reseller i have sent you pm for other alternatives since you were discussing about other host in different post but it seems you ignored it anyway @bikegremlin i have seen you active on other forum as well recently did found any DA reseller who have same config like hostmantis ?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited July 2019

@webclouddev said:

@Sofia_K said:

Anyways, my post was to point to that with their new coupon and new prices they are totally in LOSS/UN-SUSTAINABLE in short and long run (both)

Its upto their customers to blindfold their eyes and keep hosting with them or move out ASAP.

any other suggestions ? who provide somewhat same resources i.e. 30 mb/s i/o and 30EP with 3 gb ram for reseller i have sent you pm for other alternatives since you were discussing about other host in different post but it seems you ignored it anyway @bikegremlin i have seen you active on other forum as well recently did found any DA reseller who have same config like hostmantis ?

Forum messages work. But I didn't get yours. E-mail is not really functional - for spam prevention - suppose you had tried that one.

DISCLAIMER :)
    There are many other, a lot more experienced members here, who's suggestions I'd take before taking mine (I did go full retard with HostMantis :) ), but for all I know:

If you are fine with 1 GB of RAM and 1024 to 5000 MB/s I/O, then there are options at lower prices. Of the ones I've tried and seen them to be working fine "out of the box" :) with cPanel: Veerotech would be my first pick. Comparing to regular HostMantis prices, they are less than double the price now.

Veerotech were selling unlimited reseller hosting for under 2 months (stopped after the cPanel pricing change) I think, with symbolic discounts for 1, 2 and 3 year deals, so I'm not expecting them to be in any trouble right now. While their prices have always seemed like long-term sustainable ones.

30 MB/s and 3 GB RAM is more than "optimistic" promise for a shared environment. If you have a website that really needs that, for any amount of time, especially the I/O, it would cost a lot more.

Still reasonable to not pay for VPS (management, or take the time to manage it yourself) IMO, but such shared/reseller hosting will cost a lot more. For 3 GB RAM and more other resources (but far less I/O still), I found some custom reseller hosting offers.

Took one from Gnu-host.com ( @RossG ) and it's been superb good so far, though it's been just about a month, so too early to make any conclusions, but for now very good in all aspects: support, uptime, performance, plus the fact they did bother to offer and provide a custom deal in the first place.

With DirectAdmin:
    Didn't try anything, except a "test-account" generously provided here, by @Ponury_Typ. Had problems installing SSL/TLS certs when migrating from cPanel - probably my lack of knowledge and experience. Will get the hang of it and then consider DirectAdmin offers as well. First need to confirm that backups and back and forth cPanel-DirectAdmin migrations work fine and that I can do it by myself.

My understanding is that BuyShared, with @Francisco is offering DirectAdmin hosting now and they have a very good reputation here as a hosting provider.
    Related LET thread:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158632/directadmin-feedback-thread-feedback-wanted-to-help-improve-the-product/p1

Looks promising so far.

Thanked by 1webclouddev
  • @bikegremlin said:

@webclouddev said:

@Sofia_K said:

Forum messages work. But I didn't get yours. E-mail is not really functional - for spam prevention - suppose you had tried that one.

There are many other, a lot more experienced members here, who's suggestions I'd take before taking mine (I did go full retard with HostMantis :) ), but for all I know:

If you are fine with 1 GB of RAM and 1024 to 5000 MB/s I/O, then there are options at lower prices. Of the ones I've tried and seen them to be working fine "out of the box" :) with cPanel: Veerotech would be my first pick. Comparing to regular HostMantis prices, they are less than double the price now.

Veerotech were selling unlimited reseller hosting for under 2 months (stopped after the cPanel pricing change) I think, with symbolic discounts for 1, 2 and 3 year deals, so I'm not expecting them to be in any trouble right now. While their prices have always seemed like long-term sustainable ones.

30 MB/s and 3 GB RAM is more than "optimistic" promise for a shared environment. If you have a website that really needs that, for any amount of time, especially the I/O, it would cost a lot more.

Still reasonable to not pay for VPS (management, or take the time to manage it yourself) IMO, but such shared/reseller hosting will cost a lot more. For 3 GB RAM and more other resources (but far less I/O still), I found some custom reseller hosting offers.

Took one from Gnu-host.com ( @RossG ) and it's been superb good so far, though it's been just about a month, so too early to make any conclusions, but for now very good in all aspects: support, uptime, performance, plus the fact they did bother to offer and provide a custom deal in the first place.

With DirectAdmin:
    Didn't try anything, except a "test-account" generously provided here, by @Ponury_Typ. Had problems installing SSL/TLS certs when migrating from cPanel - probably my lack of knowledge and experience. Will get the hang of it and then consider DirectAdmin offers as well. First need to confirm that backups and back and forth cPanel-DirectAdmin migrations work fine and that I can do it by myself.

My understanding is that BuyShared, with @Francisco is offering DirectAdmin hosting now and they have a very good reputation here as a hosting provider.
    Related LET thread:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158632/directadmin-feedback-thread-feedback-wanted-to-help-improve-the-product/p1

Looks promising so far.

i have reseller with ramnode for USA , buyshared for EU and using hostmantis for SG, AUS.
    do you have any other suggestions for asian region ? price is not the issue also cpanel is not necessary. Hostmantis is good right now for me i'm fine with the new price as well but don't want to solely depend on HM seeing current situation thank you for the detailed reply

• @webclouddev said:

@bikegremlin said:

@webclouddev said:

@Sofia_K said:

With DirectAdmin:

Related LET thread:

Looks promising so far.

i have reseller with ramnode for USA , buyshared for EU and using hostmantis for SG, AUS.
    do you have any other suggestions for asian region ? price is not the issue also cpanel is not necessary. Hostmantis is good right now for me i'm fine with the new price as well but don't want to solely depend on HM seeing current situation thank you for the detailed reply

Think that's sensible thinking: even without the current situation, relying on one provider is risky.

All the options I was looking into were/are for US East Coast and western Europe, so didn't even look into others - no idea about Asia.

I'm expecting a lot of mess in the hosting business in the next few months, perhaps for this whole year. Even before, any info and other people's experience was very "relative", since hosting quality changes, now expecting that to be the case even more so - with customer fluctuations, control panel changes, new pricing shock...

• Invest the money in yourself, learn how to manage your sites on a VPS without needing cPanel.

If you know how to do that and value your time more instead, then cPanel just got a bit more premium.

Hostmantis is still an excellent host, it's just priced at a point now where the premium of cPanel isn't worth it when I can just as easily - and without spending all my time "under the hood" - manage my sites on a (much better value) VPS.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2019

[I value my time, hence using WHM/cPanel, rather than shell for everything. Even after 35+ years of CLI, it's sometimes just quicker/easier to fill in a form or click an icon.]

I set my HM VPS for cancellation at the end of the billing period (though it is now unused). I didn't have high expectations and it was only there as an emergency fallback server.

First Payment Amount $14.22 USD
    Recurring Amount $35.55 USD

Yeah, right.

Thanked by 2dahartigan coreflux
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2019

@webclouddev said:

@bikegremlin said:

@webclouddev said:

@Sofia_K said:

With DirectAdmin:

Related LET thread:

Looks promising so far.

I have a reseller from HM for US and shared (Singapore), most likely will stick with the shared hosting. But as suggested, VPS seems to be the way forward at least for self use.
    At the prices and configurations on offer last week definitely a great learning experience.

Been tinkering with DA (user side) thx to one of @Mic-hael's offers so far working well. Probably have spent more time on these forums over the past two weeks (make that four) than I should have, but all for the better.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @dahartigan said:
    Invest the money in yourself, learn how to manage your sites on a VPS without needing cPanel.

If you know how to do that and value your time more instead, then cPanel just got a bit more premium.

Hostmantis is still an excellent host, it's just priced at a point now where the premium of cPanel isn't worth it when I can just as easily - and without spending all my time "under the hood" - manage my sites on a (much better value) VPS.

true , im running 18 vps without any control panel, issue arise only when clients wants cpanel as a frontend gui , if HM die my next stop will be ovh apac only

• First Payment Amount $1.19 USD
    Recurring Amount $23.03 USD

No thanks..

• ^ Ouch!

• donlidonli Member

@dahartigan said:
    First Payment Amount $1.19 USD

I can see why their old model was not sustainable.

• WolfWolf Member

@donli said:

@dahartigan said:
    First Payment Amount $1.19 USD

I can see why their old model was not sustainable.

How?

Thanked by 1hostindudecom
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2019

bikegremlin said: With DirectAdmin:

The full cPanel backups are compatible with DA's restore feature, it'll work just fine! :-)

• emghemgh Member

bikegremlin said: My understanding is that BuyShared, with @Francisco is offering DirectAdmin hosting now and they have a very good reputation here as a hosting provider.

Sadly not.

• hieuhuynhhieuhuynh Member
    edited July 2019

My reseller account from $0.99/month to $22.26/6 month. It about ~$3.8/month. I already migrated all websites to other VPS. Btw, thank @HostMantis for support me since 2017.

Thanked by 2emgh hostindudecom
  • Finished the migrations. What a pain in the neck. Bye bye Host Mantis - never again!

Thanked by 2hostindudecom emgh
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Gosh, get a boyfriend, girl.

• @deank said:
    Gosh, get a boyfriend, girl.

That would be a pain in the arse so no thanks.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2019

@Spotlight said:

Wasn't meant for you actually. There was a girl who was spamming her newly made hosting company which is now deleted.

Either way, my apologies if you felt offended.

Thanked by 1Spotlight
  • @deank said:

@Spotlight said:

Wasn't meant for you actually. There was a girl who was spamming her newly made hosting company which is now deleted.

Either way, my apologies if you felt offended.

I knew that, I was just in a funny mood.
    I noticed a post or two deleted as well.

• DwayneDwayne Member

@Sofia_K said:
    Because THEY are running the web hosting business in LOSS. Here's how:

1. Reseller Entry Plan Yearly list price: $48.40
    2. Apply 50% Recurring Coupon: $24.20/yr
    3. Entry Plan offer 10 free cPanel accounts: Hostmantis pays $0.20 (license fee) x12 (months) x10 (cp accounts)= $24/yr as cPanel license fee itself.
    4. $24.20-$24= $0.20 remains with them at the end of the year.

Now which host on the planet will be sustainable to offer: $0.20/yr hosting with 25 GB space, Unlimited Bandwidth, and that too when they don't even own their hardware? It is just a loss-making hosting business for them, especially when per account cPanel prices have kicked in

How does the cPanel pricing model work? What if customers don't use all of their allotted accounts, does the provider have to pay for them anyway?

• LeeLee Veteran

Dwayne said: How does the cPanel pricing model work? What if customers don't use all of their allotted accounts, does the provider have to pay for them anyway?

If you are paying for a 20 user reseller and only using 10 you pay for 20 but the provider will get charged for 10. cPanel only charge for what is in use at the billing point.

Thanked by 1Dwayne
  • DwayneDwayne Member

@Lee said:

Dwayne said: How does the cPanel pricing model work? What if customers don't use all of their allotted accounts, does the provider have to pay for them anyway?

If you are paying for a 20 user reseller and only using 10 you pay for 20 but the provider will get charged for 10. cPanel only charge for what is in use at the billing point.

OK I see, so basically there is a way for Hostmantis to not operate at a loss aka overselling.

• donlidonli Member

For those looking to migrate in the future:

Francisco wrote:
    We'll roll out BuyShared in NY

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • bikegremlin said: 30 MB/s and 3 GB RAM is more than "optimistic" promise for a shared environment. If you have a website that really needs that, for any amount of time, especially the I/O, it would cost a lot more.

3 GB RAM, 30 MB/s IO sound too good for that cheaply priced hosting plan. But when your host restricts you to just 25% CPU and you are aware the heavy, high-traffic, or SQL driven sites, even WordPress site and wordpress admin-pages eats CPU first, then what is the use of 3GB RAM, and 30 MB/s IO? Your site/account will never hit that cap. Rather, The moment you reach 25% of CPU usage in 60 seconds you'll be starting abusing their AUP/Terms. So even if a host gives you 30 GB RAM, and 1 GB/s I/O at $2/mo but you are restricted by (tiny) CPU for too less period of time, then I'll call selling HUGE 3GB RAM and 30 MB/s IO just a marketing gimmick!

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited July 2019

@Sofia_K said:

bikegremlin said: 30 MB/s and 3 GB RAM is more than "optimistic" promise for a shared environment. If you have a website that really needs that, for any amount of time, especially the I/O, it would cost a lot more.

3 GB RAM, 30 MB/s IO sound too good for that cheaply priced hosting plan. But when your host restricts you to just 25% CPU and you are aware the heavy, high-traffic, or SQL driven sites, even WordPress site and wordpress admin-pages eats CPU first, then what is the use of 3GB RAM, and 30 MB/s IO? Your site/account will never hit that cap. Rather, The moment you reach 25% of CPU usage in 60 seconds you'll be starting abusing their AUP/Terms. So even if a host gives you 30 GB RAM, and 1 GB/s I/O at $2/mo but you are restricted by (tiny) CPU for too less period of time, then I'll call selling HUGE 3GB RAM and 30 MB/s IO just a marketing gimmick!

Not taking anyone's side. But one particular use case: a website that is WordPress and very poorly optimised. Didn't work on a 2 GB RAM 2 vCPU shared hosting account. Back-end editing couldn't be "updated"/saved.

Gave it a try with HostMantis - it worked.

The funny part being - it had hit CPU limit on the 2-2 hosting account, not the RAM limit. With HostMantis, whatever they call being given 75% of one core, the load was nowhere near the limit when doing the backend updates. No idea how and why, but it worked with HostMantis. :)

Other use case I had already mentioned - with a forum. Working fine with HostMantis. Previous host did complain about resource (ab)use, urging for a more expensive (shared) hosting plan - the existing one being around 80 $ per year (discount price, paying a year in advance).

The TOS says "over 25% consistently, for more than 5 minutes".

Yes they are selling hosting dirt cheap. Yes, I'm worried their current pricing is not long term sustainable. But so far - performance, uptime and stability have been just fine. No complaints of resource abuse, or anything similar.

I agree that limits themselves, especially the I/O (just like bandwidth): for most use cases, once you reach that high a limit, most other factors will have hit the limits already. Especially with database-driven websites, like WordPress.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@Sofia_K No images allowed on signature, please remove it

• LvivLviv Member
    edited July 2019

AlwaysSkint said: ^ Ouch!

@HostDoc ™ : Great. Now I can ban you wasting my time™ )

• @Lviv said:

Go troll elsewhere - could a ban hammer be imminent? (Best to be wholesale on the whole of the 'net!)

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Lviv said:

this is not even your post dude just bcos you cant have good time dont ruin for others